Message Boards

Topic : 01/18 "Fighting Over the Will"

Number of Replies: 373
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:25:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 11/29/05) When you imagine receiving an inheritance, you might dream that all your financial problems would be solved. But sometimes, the money is more trouble than it's worth. Eighty-four-year-old Aileen inherited a 2,000-acre farm after her husband died. But is her granddaughter, Amber, jumping the gun by wanting her mother's name on the title now? Then, Tracy says her 19-year-old son, Mark, changed when he came into a large inheritance this year after his dad passed away. She says the money wasn't what changed her son, but his long-lost friend, Brandon. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2005, 12:47 pm CST

ASPCA>>>>>>

Quote From: pendeb

I can't believe I am hearing what I am hearing, listening to these two greedy women (the daughter and granddaughter)!

More power to the Grandmother!  Keep your farm, keep your money, enjoy your trips to Arizona and change your will to someone more deserving, your daughter and granddaughter don't deserve ANYTHING!!!!
I hope that Grandmother leaves the whole darn farm to the ASPCA as a refuge for homeless animals! It would do a world of good, and would be a just return for those other women. Put it into a land trust, so that it  can never be developed, and leave an amount to make sure there is enough to maintain the property. Be sure to leave each of the girls a dollar in the will so they can't contest it by saying they were "forgotten". Have fun in the sun, lady!!!!!:)

November 29, 2005, 12:47 pm CST

I'm on your side, Grandma!

Dear Grandma, 

Your daughter and granddaughter need to grow up and STOP being selfish , self-absorbed and greedy.  It's your land and you have the right to do with it what you want.  You don't have to even leave it to them if you don't want to.  Frankly, in my not so humble opinion, they don't deserve it because they have disrespected you.  Shame on them!  You are absolutely unequivocally right and proper in your actions.  It's none of their business as to your own personal legal affairs.  Have you thought about leaving everything to charity with only a token amount held in trust for your daughter and granddaughter?  Please do NOT put your land in anyone else's name.  Keep it in your name alone!  They should respect you and your privacy.  Simple advice to you -- tell them the matter is closed -- end of story -- and that you won't discuss it anymore.  Put your foot down and tell them to leave you alone about it.  If they don't, ask them to leave your house and stop calling you until they learn to act properly.  It's called "tough love".  If something happens to you, your lawyer will be notified and he can deal with them after-the-fact.  That's what you're paying him for anyway!   My mother is 83, perfectly capable of handling her own affairs, making her own choices, and is sharp as a tack just like you.  I would never dream of doing to her what your family is doing to you.  My mother gave me life and love and that's the best and greatest gift she could ever give me.  I need nothing more.  Have a wonderful time in Arizona on your trip and I hope you live many, many long years!  Living a long and healthy life will drive your daughter and granddaughter nuts!  Sweet revenge!   

November 29, 2005, 12:54 pm CST

wills wills wills ....... ugly

first.... Tracy gives us gals with the same name .... a bad name....Honestly, from the way I see it, she's money hungry! That's totally wrong, for her to be spending her sons inheritance, especially to take him to court, or declare him 'incompetent'. That's awful. Kinda makes me angry. The friends are prolly just trying to make Marc open his eyes to her evilness and greediness. I mean big deal if he wants to share with his buddy. He's being generous. Maybe he wants his buddy to share in his fun along with him.  

That is so wrong (I'm watching the show right now) to DELCARE MARK INCOMPITENT......NICE MOTHER! 

OMG................I'M SO ANGRY WITH THIS WOMAN. SHE'S JEALOUS, SHE WANTS THE CASH. PLAN AND SIMPLE..................ANGRY 

IT'S NOT HER MONEY........... 

second....my dad passed away 2 years ago this November. He and his partner shared a company. He had no will. NO WILL. My step-mom, still married to another guy, therefore my dad and her were common law, she got a widow's pension. My brother and sister and I got nothing, nothing from the company, nothing. My dad's partner said there was no money in the company. YAH RIGHT. At that time I was going through  support and custody battle, which ended up costing me money I didn't have. So all my strength and energy went into that, I couldn't fight for my dad's money. And brother and sister, I guess aren't fighters.......GET A WILL   it's not fair to family members when everyone doesn't get a share to what they are entitled to.  

GET A WILL BECAUSE MONEY MAKES PEOPLE EVIL ........ allot happened in my family, my brother, sister and me don't have anything to do with my step-mom or her sons....that's a novel in itself. 

November 29, 2005, 12:55 pm CST

Sounds familiar

i have probably seen just about all of the dr. phil shows and never posted a message but todays subject hit home and i just had to put in my say! 

I agree with Mark and not the mom. I am in a similar situation and i think that since he has turned 18 it is all of his money and his mother needs to just butt out. It does not matter what he wants to do with it but he does not need to be paying his grandparents back for anything because it is not his responsibility to take care of his mom and pay for her mistakes. 

I can see why she is worried that Mark will blow the money but it is just not hers to be worrying about in the first place. I say GO MARK!!! I am currently investing mine but my parents have no say in it if i want to take it all out and blow it  that is my business! Now that i have taken over my money my dad has been threatening to bring out receipts and pay him back for everything that he has given me and i think it is a bunch of bs and it sounds like his mom is trying to do the same. 

November 29, 2005, 12:59 pm CST

ITS THE BOYS MONEY!!

it seems to me like the boys mom is trying to take his money! look what she is trying to do to get it!  yes he is young, but lets not forget his father left it to him for a reason. he wanted him to have it! not the mother! shes trying to take it and pay off her debts! The boy should get his money back in HIS account without his mother having access to it.  If he blows it he blows it. its a mistake to learn.  atleast he spent it, like his father wanted! i wouldnt be suprised if the mom has already spent most of his money. poor kid, id rather give it all to a attorney then let that woman get over on me and take it all.

ITS THE BOYS MONEY!!

it seems to me like the boys mom is trying to take his money! look what she is trying to do to get it!  yes he is young, but lets not forget his father left it to him for a reason. he wanted him to have it! not the mother! shes trying to take it and pay off her debts! The boy should get his money back in HIS account without his mother having access to it.  If he blows it he blows it. its a mistake to learn.  atleast he spent it, like his father wanted! i wouldnt be suprised if the mom has already spent most of his money. poor kid, id rather give it all to a attorney then let that woman get over on me and take it all.

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE!

I can't believe what I was hearing on your show today.  Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and we saw it in full flight today!

The mother needs to change her will so that neither the daughter OR granddaughter get one penny OR one square inch from her estate. 

In the other case the son needs to take control of his inheritance which is rightfully his.  Mother is just a bitter, greedy woman.

Let us hope that common sense will prevail and these families can be re-united, although I fear not.

November 29, 2005, 1:00 pm CST

Fighting over the Will

I think Gramma Aileen should spend all her hard earned money and make sure nothing is left to the greedy daughter and granddaughter. Have a blast Aileen.

November 29, 2005, 1:07 pm CST

So sad

I hope Aileen watches the show and decides to leave her farm to a local shelter or some other more deserving endeavor than her daughter and granddaughter. Or, hopefully, they watch and see themselves as we saw them. 

The other family is equally sad. The son will likely blow the money but it's HIS to blow. His mom should just go back to being a mother. Perhaps if she concentrated on loving her son, she could gently sway him into spending and saving wisely but it appears as though she's mainly interested in getting it for herself.... pathetic. 

When my dad died, my sisters and I only hoped my mom would use what she had to enjoy life. We asked her not to sell their home but she decided to do so and then we all argued with her when she insisted on splitting the gains 5 ways with an equal share for her and all 4 of her daughters. We would rather have seen her use the money to travel but it gave her pleasure to see us get a few extras in our own lives. When mom died, the 4 of us sat and sorted her things with much tears and laughter. Things were shared equally with small tokens reserved for her precious friends and family. There was no arguing or ill will and the most precious things she left were the hoard of cards we had all sent her through her life. She'd written notes on each card and none of us were aware of them until after she passed. Myself and my 3 wonderful sisters rely on each other for support and love and laughter and I can't imagine any amount of money or pieces of jewelry that would have been worth breaking those ties!!! 

http://www.hugkiss.com/mom/membox.html 

This is the story of what my mom left to us... much more precious than the money or the jewelry was :) 

November 29, 2005, 1:10 pm CST

Parents should be responsible

I feel sorry for people who fight over inheritance! It is sad that people are so concerned over material things. Money isnt as important as realtionships with your family. I am fortunate enough to be able to say that I never encountered this problem. My father passed away when I was ten, I am 18 now, and there was never one fight over his possessions. He left everything to me and my brother, which were only 10 and 16 at the time. However, he was responsible and set it all up ahead of time to where we would get a percentage of the money when each of us turned 18 and then when we turned 26. It saved so much controversy! I kind of resented him doing it that way until watching todays show. I see how much it kept us from going through. Maybe if parents would be more responsible when making a will, it would save their families a lot of pain.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last