Message Boards

Topic : 03/15 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Number of Replies: 70
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:27:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/30/05) Dr. Phil's guests dare their loved ones to finally try something new -- and last a day at it. A father wants his high-maintenance wife and daughters to learn to love the outdoors and try one night of camping. When Survivor's Jeff Probst shows up with their first challenge, will the girls pass and earn their camping supplies or will they head back home? Next, Melissa was the first person fired by Donald Trump from this season's The Apprentice. She says she can't work with women because they are intimidated by her brains and looks. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Lauren's parents challenge her to last a day working in the real world, so she can see how hard it is to earn all the money she spends. She says it will be easy, until she sees where she has to work! And, Samantha is in her high school marching band, and says her football-playing godfather always tells her, "Band is for sissies." When she challenges him to strap on an instrument, will he be able to keep in step or will he march to the beat of his own drum and change his tune? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2005, 1:55 pm CST

11/30 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Quote From: nasale

Here I was sitting here feeling smug because of my camping experience and then they done went and ate the BUG!! My hats off to you ladies! You're a braver soul that mine!!! 

I'm a rough and tough country girl from rural Alberta and I wouldn't consider eating a bug for anything!  I was impressed too! You go, girls! 

But that Melissa really didn't impress me!  She thinks that she is intelligent and yet she admits that she hasn't figured out how to work with half of the human race?  She wouldn't be able to work in any business environment in the world because there isn't a business anywhere where you don't have to work with women in some aspect of your job-if not as coworkers, then as clients or suppliers.  Worse yet,  she can't be patient and kind to people who are slower than average-that takes out half of the men too. 

November 30, 2005, 2:25 pm CST

THEIR DAUGHTER IS NOT AS SMART AS THEY ARE

If those parents worked their way through college AND are smart enough to work at three jobs, then THEY ARE SECRETLY  ADMITING THAT THEY DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR DAUGHTER IS CAPABLE OF DOING THE SAME. This daughter will be "taking" from them when they have one foot in their graves.   ' 

SAD.....all my kids put themselves through college and are superbly successful today.....yes, they drive Lexus automobiles, earned by themselves.   I am so very proud of my children.  Those parents can never say that about this immature, greedy  kid. 

November 30, 2005, 2:32 pm CST

Band Godfather and others..

I must say that I am proud of the dad that got out there and was a good sport about the whole band thing.  I know from experience it is NOT easy and is very demanding trying to memorize your steps and remember where you are supposed to go...and to get out there in the summer in 100 degree weather for band camp!!!  But looking back we had so much fun and learned a lot of lessons!  To the spoiled little girl...please..she only wanted the lexus to show that her mom and dad had a lot of money...and why did she think it  was SO embarrasing to have a Honda?  I have a honda and I wouldnt have any other car!! She seriously needs to wake up and learn that somebody had to work for that $350 purse and $2000 shopping spree...

November 30, 2005, 2:35 pm CST

Band members are better than jocks

There was a study done a few years ago that proved a marching band member is in better physical shape than a football player. Think about it. A football player runs for a few seconds, hits someone, gets up and then gets to take a breather while they huddle to decide what the next play will be. I was a band member all through high school and college. I can tell you we had to do calisthenics, warm up the instruments, and have a 2 hour rehearsal everyday in high school. At the college level, the rehearsals are more intense. We had to run a mile singing the fight song, more calisthenics, at least 2 hours of rehearsal a day, Mondays had an additional 2 hours, and game day Saturdays would start at 7 a.m. and be done about 5 p.m. depending on kickoff time. Besides the amount of rehearsal time, think about the coordination of playing an instrument, have the music memorized, plus the drill for the show being all done together. It's also been proven that band members exceed in mathematics. Just another reason the keep the arts in school.

November 30, 2005, 2:44 pm CST

LMAO

Quote From: judyblue22

I'm a rough and tough country girl from rural Alberta and I wouldn't consider eating a bug for anything!  I was impressed too! You go, girls! 

But that Melissa really didn't impress me!  She thinks that she is intelligent and yet she admits that she hasn't figured out how to work with half of the human race?  She wouldn't be able to work in any business environment in the world because there isn't a business anywhere where you don't have to work with women in some aspect of your job-if not as coworkers, then as clients or suppliers.  Worse yet,  she can't be patient and kind to people who are slower than average-that takes out half of the men too. 

Worse yet,  she can't be patient and kind to people who are slower than average-that takes out half of the men too.  

Like your comment! 

November 30, 2005, 2:59 pm CST

Lauren

This girl is 18 and the parents are just NOW wanting to teach her the value of a dollar?  Parents, why did it take this long?  That is something you start teaching your children when they first start asking to buy things at the store.  Giving them an allowance for helping around the house is a good start, but here you are giving her an allowance at 18; what does she do to earn the allowance and what is she expected to use it for?  and looks to me, when the allowance is spent you simply supply her with more money.  8 hours of work (if she really worked that hard) is not enough to teach her anything.  Let her try doing it day after day, week after week, whether she is feeling well or tired, balance her time with work and family, children, all the everyday stresses of life and see how she does, that is the real test.  My guess is she will go from her parents providing everything for her to a husband who will do the same.  Parents, you are cheating her of all the self worth that comes with knowing she did it on her own.  Sure you want her to have a better life than you had, but don't you realize that your trials and tribulations strengthened you and created the success you enjoy today?  As a parent, I want to make sure my children are ready to go out in the world and know what to do in order to survive and contribute to their own well being as well as make a contribution to others.  If I disappeared tomorrow, I'd want the peace of mind to know they will be ok without me not be floundering because I spoiled them so much that they are handicapped.   

November 30, 2005, 3:01 pm CST

not soo crazy

Quote From: mistyc

Growing up my Mom would have liked to have spoiled us, but she couldn't, what little money we had couldn't be spent on treats.  But even at that I had no idea how hard it was to make ends meet, when I graduated high school and worked fast food while I was in college.  I was like HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how did Mama do this and not lose her sanity. 

I had to drive a car that I could afford and it was a BOMB!!!!!!!!  but I learned to work on it and I learned to be self reliant.  I have been in the work force full time since I was 19, I'm 35 now, and I don't think the world owes me living.  The $350 purse made me laugh like crazy, that is what I paid for my first car. 

UHH just because someone chooses to spend money on nice purses doesn't mean they wasted it. I have a Louis Vuitton, a real one, and it has lasted me a long time. Compared to less expensive purses I have tried the designer ones generally last much longer and do not go out of style as quickly as the knock off designer bags do. It's everybody's personal choice as to what they spend their money on and I think you should stop judging other people until you know their full situation

November 30, 2005, 3:04 pm CST

mom whos daughter has 50 pairs of jeans

I'm writing in reference to the mother who wanted her daughter to "break a sweat" by working for a day because she feels she doesn't know the value of a dollar. who's fault is that? Its you mom! Why do you think she is spoiled? Do you hear yourself?  You raised her to be the way she is by paying for all of her bills and clothes. Do you not know that? Does this mother actually think that bringing her on the Dr Phil show and making her clean a horse stall will erase the bad parenting job she has done? Instead of going on national television and trying to put her daughter on the spot, she should take parenting classes.

November 30, 2005, 3:50 pm CST

11/30 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Quote From: syddatwig

UHH just because someone chooses to spend money on nice purses doesn't mean they wasted it. I have a Louis Vuitton, a real one, and it has lasted me a long time. Compared to less expensive purses I have tried the designer ones generally last much longer and do not go out of style as quickly as the knock off designer bags do. It's everybody's personal choice as to what they spend their money on and I think you should stop judging other people until you know their full situation

UHHHH these people are going on national television complaining their spoiled, so of course we are going to judge, thats what you get for complaining and whining on TV. These people go on television to get attention and to be judged. 

November 30, 2005, 4:32 pm CST

Let's Get Real

Dr. Phil sure hit it on the head when he responded to the mom who said the daughter had "been like this since she was little."   Hello, Mom?   

I hate to disagree with a lot of you, but there is some truth to Melissa's claim that other women don't like the competition to be too pretty or too smart.  Women can be so hateful in the workforce.  Give me a man to work with any day. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last