Message Boards

Topic : 03/15 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Number of Replies: 70
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:27:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/30/05) Dr. Phil's guests dare their loved ones to finally try something new -- and last a day at it. A father wants his high-maintenance wife and daughters to learn to love the outdoors and try one night of camping. When Survivor's Jeff Probst shows up with their first challenge, will the girls pass and earn their camping supplies or will they head back home? Next, Melissa was the first person fired by Donald Trump from this season's The Apprentice. She says she can't work with women because they are intimidated by her brains and looks. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Lauren's parents challenge her to last a day working in the real world, so she can see how hard it is to earn all the money she spends. She says it will be easy, until she sees where she has to work! And, Samantha is in her high school marching band, and says her football-playing godfather always tells her, "Band is for sissies." When she challenges him to strap on an instrument, will he be able to keep in step or will he march to the beat of his own drum and change his tune? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2005, 4:37 pm CST

11/30 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Quote From: mistyc

Anyone rememebr those shampoo commericals where the model would say "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"?  and you were saying to yourself Oh don't worry honey , there are so many other reasons.  The apprentice chic should take note. 
Some do hate people who are beautiful.  Being pretty and smart can be a curse in itself.

November 30, 2005, 4:43 pm CST

Melissa

Enjoyed your spot on the show.  How come I'm one of the few that understands what your saying and Mr. PhD had a hard time with it.  I've worked with a couple of Master's people and they like couldn't even tie their own showlaces - you are the exception. 

Sic Tiger 

Rog 

November 30, 2005, 4:53 pm CST

Cheryl Tiegs

OK, is it just me or did anyone else notice that woman in the audience?  Was that Cheryl Tiegs?

November 30, 2005, 5:05 pm CST

Rottenly Spoiled

Quote From: syddatwig

UHH just because someone chooses to spend money on nice purses doesn't mean they wasted it. I have a Louis Vuitton, a real one, and it has lasted me a long time. Compared to less expensive purses I have tried the designer ones generally last much longer and do not go out of style as quickly as the knock off designer bags do. It's everybody's personal choice as to what they spend their money on and I think you should stop judging other people until you know their full situation

Hello, My parents were the opposite, they had the money and they chose not to spoil me, or help me through college and even high school.  By the time I was 12 I was babysitting my  brother who is 3 years younger, I cooked and cleaned, did my own laundry, sometimes helped out with the families clothes also.  By 14 I was required to babysit and work part time jobs to buy designer clothes, and I was given nothing for free, I even had to earn my spare time by doing chores to earn the "fun time"  Although I would be a little more leaniant (spelled right?) if I had my own children, I think it's a total mistake to indulge children with everything. Even if you can afford it, making your children go without some of the extras, will do them good and teach them to appreciate what they have.  I think it would be a better service to these children who are spoiled, to teach their children about  all those people who have little and or nothing to give to their children.  Some people work very hard everyday and they can't avfor a Lexis or even enough food to put on their tables.  Spending time not money on children is what will really make them happy!    

November 30, 2005, 5:22 pm CST

Spoiled

If that girl only knew how much $60 would go in my life. I am a married college student a few years older than her. Since I don't work, I depend on my hunband's income of $9 per hour. That comes out to be $1000 per month after taxes. 90% of that goes to living expences. The rest of the money goes toward food that I purchase at the dollar store. If we are lucky, we will have $15 at the end of the month left over to go out to eat or purchase a movie. I haven't had a new shirt since last Christmas and never owned anything (not even my wedding dress) that has cost $350. I'm lucky that my birthday is this week. I know I will get a total of $150 from my family members. With that I'm planning to buy my husband a new pair of shoes (probably from Walmart or Mervyns) that he is in desprate need of. I'm also going to get a hair cut (only spending $15 at the local Fantastic Sam's). With the rest, I will spend paying off bills. 

I could only dream of driving a Lexus. My husband and I have to share a 1985 Honda. It's a piece of junk that we are afraid that will break down in the near future. We don't have any extra money to purchase any car, let alone a new Hondi or Kia. 

She needs to live a day in my shoes waiting for payday so that I can purchase groceries at the dollar store. I could only dream of being given $60. Driving a Lexus would be like winning the lottery! 

November 30, 2005, 5:30 pm CST

Melissa may have degrees,but she comes across as an arrogant bimbo. I have worked in industries in which everyone had several degrees and they NEVER  behaved in such an unprofessional way or had such a poor way of relating to colleagues. Even her vocabulary or "like' And "you know" sounded as if she is a Valley girl and certainly NOT upper management . Intelligent people do not have to trumpet their intelligence. I don't see a bright future for her or for those forced to work with her.

November 30, 2005, 5:36 pm CST

Now, come on just own it.

Quote From: syddatwig

UHH just because someone chooses to spend money on nice purses doesn't mean they wasted it. I have a Louis Vuitton, a real one, and it has lasted me a long time. Compared to less expensive purses I have tried the designer ones generally last much longer and do not go out of style as quickly as the knock off designer bags do. It's everybody's personal choice as to what they spend their money on and I think you should stop judging other people until you know their full situation
 Now, come on.  That is just silly, it absolutely IS a waste of money, if  you have the money and choose to spend it on that kind of stuff, that's your business but , really , don't try to BS everyone.  Just own it.  NO purse is worth  $100.00s or $1000.00s of dollars.  You like walking around with someone elses initials on your purse more power to you, it IS your choice.

November 30, 2005, 5:44 pm CST

Quote From: neenabeen1

OK, is it just me or did anyone else notice that woman in the audience?  Was that Cheryl Tiegs?
It sure looked like Cheryl Tiegs to me too. I figured she was going to be on the show , but I guess she just happened to be in the audience like everyone else. 

November 30, 2005, 6:02 pm CST

Why do parents indulge their kids?

I don't understand this whole attitude of giving your kids every single thing they want.  It annoyed me that the girl went to work on a farm and earned $10 an hour.  If they wanted to teach her about life in the real world why didn't they give her a minimum wage salary?  My daughters both started working part time at the local grocery chain when they turned 16.  They like having their own money and take pride in the fact that they earned it.  But they only make $6.35/hr.  I just think these overindulgent parents need to get a clue about why their children are like they are.  It was absurd to think that the girl thought she needed a Lexus.  What in the world is wrong with a Honda?  Crazy!!

November 30, 2005, 6:12 pm CST

Shame on Lauren's parents

Is it any wonder poor little Lauren is the way she is?  It sounds like she has never once had to take any responsibility for herself.  I'm sure she is a lovely girl, but boy oh boy, pity the man that hooks up with her.  He better be made of money  or he is in for a real tough time! 

I know this wasn't a show about over-indulging parents, but perhaps Lauren's parents should be given tapes of those previous shows.  Wouldn't it be nice if Lauren was actually proud of earning her own $350 purse one day, instead of relying on mommy to buy it for her.  (And I'm sorry, NO ONE needs a $350 purse!) 

We have 3 sons, who are now 22, 20, and 18.  While we have provided them with a vehicle for transportation, they at least have to pay the insurance and gas (and by the way, insurance for boys in Canada is over $300/month and that is with a clean driving record).  If they can't afford to drive the car, then they have to take transit, which is included in their university tuition anyway.  They also have to have their tuition money up front (which we have contributed to over the years).  If they pass each semester then they can submit their receipts for reimbursement through their Registered Educational Savings Plan.  If they fail, they won't get reimbursed.  And yes, they buy their clothes, their coffees, and their entertainment.  It is sometimes really tough to watch them struggle, but I would far rather they know that it costs money to live.  It's not just a matter of mooching off mom and dad.  Oh, and by the way, because they buy their own clothes with money they earn at part time jobs, they often buy $30 or $40 jeans.  I bet Lauren has never tried a pair of jeans on that cost so little. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last