Message Boards

Topic : 06/29 House Call Intervention

Number of Replies: 221
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:35:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/01/05) Imagine finding your son passed out in his room with drug paraphernalia surrounding his body. When that happened to one mother, she made an important call for help. Dr. Phil’s son, Jay, was working with a family for his new reality show when the mom, Vikki, phoned to say that her son, Justin, had been lost to drugs. Dr. Phil made a surprise house call and insisted that the teen get help immediately. Find out what happens with Justin, and why Vikki thinks she's to blame for his drug use. Then, a stay-at-home mother of three was drinking bottles of wine and vodka every day -- she would even fill a sports drink bottle with alcohol and take it to her kids' school events. Did she break her deadly addiction? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2005, 2:05 pm CST

strong mom

I wish Dr. Phil would have been around when my brother was 16. My parents have been in denial about his drug problem. He has been in and out of treatment, however my parents enable him. He is 31 years old and continues to live at home. He continues to steal from them and has binges. Kudos to the mom for having the strength to get her son help. Stay strong.

December 1, 2005, 2:07 pm CST

12/01 House Call Intervention

Your show was very moving today.  Thank you.  Teri

December 1, 2005, 2:10 pm CST

I feel so sorry for these parents.  I have a son who is now in the Placer County Jail in Auburn CA, because of meth.  He is addicited.  But that doesn't mean I love him any less. I just pray that this young man turns his life around and leaves the drugs along.

December 1, 2005, 2:12 pm CST

I can relate......

This is to Justin's family.  My name is Maxine and we too have been on Dr. Phil for our son's drug & drinking problem and he also attended La Ha so I can completely relate to what you are and will be going through.   

I want you to know that you are welcome to contact me if you ever need to talk.  As women, that is how we "deal" and I know it is not easy. 

My email is Jmaxoz91@yahoo.com.   

You have a lovely family and from I saw on your segment, you are very close and truly love one another and that will help Justin get through this tremendously! 

Take Care and I will keep Justin and your family in my prayers! 

December 1, 2005, 2:16 pm CST

Love can be shown in many ways.

Quote From: lifesamaz

Watching the bit on the alcoholic mother; I can totally relate.  My father is a drug addict.  It is very stressful and frustrating.  My father is suposed to take care of me but thats not the case.  i am 21 and i feel like i raise my father now.  Besides rehab, what can I do?  I'll take all the help and advice I can get!
I believe that you can love someone without haveing to love what they do. At his age it must be his choice. You can only express your self honestly. Tell him how it makes you feel. Tell him whatever you need to tell him. Do all you can do then leave it up to him. You can still love your dad even though he continues to make bad choice but you dont have to enable him.

December 1, 2005, 2:21 pm CST

brother needs help

My older brother is now almost 25 years old, and since our parents harsh divorce just 2 years ago, his pot addiction has grown out of hand.  I don't know what to do to help him.  It's part of his every day life.  I know he isn't happy, and he isn't a very open person to try to talk to about himself.  I just want him to realize that there are ways to get help, and that being addicted to drugs isn't normal, and isn't okay.  He can't afford it, and I know that he is drug dealing now too.  I don't know how to help him.  Does anyone have any ideas??  Thanks so much for listening.

December 1, 2005, 2:26 pm CST

I have caught my youngest son smoking pot several times, do random drug testing, and he failed the last one - I found a smaller but similar pipe in his room as well.  How do you know if you child has a problem or is just experiementing?  I have grounded him, etc., and tried to hold him accountable w/the random testing.  He says he has not done any other type of drug but he has consumed alcohol - easy to get, and everyone does it.  It is not acceptable and I worry about him .. and what to do next. 

December 1, 2005, 2:29 pm CST

husband needs help.

I'm married  to  a  good  man and  father  but he has  a  drug  problem.  We have been togher for 4 years in thoughs 4 years the drugs have been come and go but in the last couple of months he has been laied off from a good job. Bills are comeing at us and I am doing my best to keep things tother. In the last 3 days I have only seen my husband for a few hours. And he has said that he that he went on a binge and he liked it and thathe wants a divorce. This is not usual behavior. He is usually bullheaded and willing to prove everyone wrong. After this binge he is talking about killing himself  or that he wants to go to jail to get away from me. I know in my heart that this is not him talking it is the crack. I hope you can give me some kind of help before he hurts himself. He has in the passed admedited that he has a problem but will not agree to get help. So can you help me help him.  Thank you very much for listening.      seeking306  

December 1, 2005, 2:33 pm CST

Families and Drugs

I hope that Justin will accept the help that has been offered to him, and his family too. His mom needs to stop beating herself up, and this comes from a mother of two drug addicts, that has spent lots of time beating myself up too. We as mother's always want to "fix" things and make them right, but with drug addiction, Dr Phil is right, you aren't dealing with the child you love, you are dealing with the drug.  I wish that help could have been acquired before my boys got so deep into them, and I do hope that thru the court system, they will get the help they need, and I do know that I will continue to love them, and hopefully continue to stop being the "enabler" I have always been.  Dr Phil, you do great work, and hopefully more families will be helped too. My one son was making good progress while in jail, cuz he was reading your books, and praised them highly. Wish he could have kept up after he got out. God Bless. 

December 1, 2005, 2:35 pm CST

Still hopeful

I watched Thursday’s episode with a very heavy heart and in tears.  I e-mailed you last July with a plea for some help to keep my daughter in Sundown Ranch, a drug-rehab in East Texas.  My daughter had been place there as a compromise for breaking her probation.  She was there for 44 days and released without any advanced notice in July because there was no more insurance available and no more personal funds.  She participated in an intensive outpatient program when she returned home but within two weeks (I found later) she was back involved in using.   

Things escalated.  She took my rental car without permission…and without a driver’s license.  Two other times she took her sister’s car.  She was in the company of people much older than her and people willing to get her anything she wanted.  And she was willing to do anything they wanted in order to get it. 

After taking her sister’s car the second time, that we know of, she was ordered back to inpatient rehab.  Within two weeks she was sent back to JDC because she decided she didn’t want to get better.  She stole and broke a counselor’s cell phone so she found herself back in JDC and on her way to North Texas State Hospital for long-term rehab. 

She is on probation for family assault.  She blames everyone but herself for her problems except those days she needs something and she can be very remorseful and willing to work.  Her history includes weed (at age 13 from a friend’s parent), alcohol, inhalants, crack, ice, Meth (and all the other names there are for it).  The final thing was skin popping heroin.   She says she has been gang raped.  She says she has “done” both girls and guys in order to get what she wanted.  These are the things I know about. 

I know that I was the best parent I knew how to be.  I tried the family meetings, talks, being present at events with her and her sisters.  I am sure there are some things I could have done better. There were some really hard places in our lives over the years but not so hard that this should have been the result.   

She does seem to be doing better and says she is willing to be there as long as she needs to be.  I am just not convinced yet.  She will most likely be there until June 25, 2006.  Her sister’s have no relationship with her and I dread the day she comes home for three reasons…the fights will begin again or her sister’s will become distanced from me because of her or she will do what she has threatened for so long and that is to go live with her “boyfriend” who has been involved in drugs with her.     

I am not sure why I am writing.  I don’t expect anything and am not in a position to make this a public story.  I am a pastor in a local congregation.  Someday I will share this story but not while we are still trying to find our way.  I just find myself not very hopeful for the family on TV.  The young man doesn’t seem to be really ready and 5 weeks is certainly not enough time to prepare him for the pressures that will come to continue using from his old friends when he returns.  I trust that La Hacienda is a great place and I do pray that this young man and all those who are suffering with an addiction will find their way through this struggle. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last