Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin with JCPenney Jam

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:58:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/09/05) It's Ask Dr. Phil and Robin day! When they say "anything goes," the guests take full advantage. Melissa says her sex life is boring, and that it's all her husband, Spencer's, fault because he is too uptight. He says he's tired of being a piece of meat. Can they meet in the middle when it comes to the bedroom? Next, Russell says his daughter, Nyla, is a piano-playing prodigy. His wife thinks he's pushing Nyla too hard -- especially since she's only 7 months old! Then, a mother and her teenage stepdaughter compete to see who can eat less in order to lose weight, and Robin tries to set them straight. And, a mother fears for her 13-year-old daughter, Kelli, who drinks, smokes and is missing curfew. See what Dr. Phil has planned for Kelli. Plus, go backstage and get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil and Robin hosting the JCPenney Jam Concert for America's Kids, and learn how this organization is working hard to provide kids with opportunities after school. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 21, 2006, 2:18 pm CDT

Reformed Size 1

Quote From: sgarci

Dear Dr.Phil my name is Sara I am 16 years old and I am a big fan. I was watching you from home and I was in disbelief that Janie and her stepdaughter Britney were competing over who lost the most weight and who ate the less. I was mad over the fact that Janie was only contributing to Britney's ability to have an eating disorder.  I belief that Janie is a hypocrite, she wants her stepdaughter to be healthy and not self conscious but the only thing that she is teaching her is the exact opposite by competing with her, instead of telling her how beautiful she is.  I would love to meet both of them so that I could tell them both that being skinny isn't really as glamorous as Hollywood makes it seem. As I said I am 16 years old and I weight between 85 and 90 pounds and I am a size 0 , I have been skinny my entire life (thankfully I am a healthy person and I don't have an eating disorder) and I have suffered teasing and ruthless comments.  When I saw her I was completely dumbfounded, when I saw Britney I said to myself I wish I looked like her.   

(We didn't have 0s back in the '70s.) I, too, was "skinny Minnie" in HS, weighing all of 88 lbs. (at 5'1")  when I graduated, and got asked routinely if I had an eating disorder...I didn't. No, Sara, skinniness is not all that Hollyweird makes it out to be, as you know first-hand.

About a quarter of a century and 2 children later, I'm not sure I could get a leg into size 0's. But you know what (and I direct this at all of the scale- and dress size-obsessed people out there, not just Britney & Janie)? It's not that big a deal.  I am healthy and content in my own skin (there's just a bit more of it these days :-) ). Just like Robin said, as long as you're healthy, that's what matters. Get over your self-conscious emphasis on the superficial, folks!! To quote the great philosopher Judge Judy, "Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever."

As juliemom (I think) said, we all have different body types, and we each need to accept our own for what it is. For instance, my sister & I are both well under 5'4", but have very different frames. On me 145 lb. would look obscenely obese, as my frame is small, whereas on my sister, 145  would almost look like skin-and bones, as she has broad shoulders and a "barrel chest". Don't wish you "looked like" anybody else; you are you.

August 21, 2006, 3:00 pm CDT

The problem w/ afterschool progams.......

I was impressed with JC Penny, the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Clubs. What they are doing is great. They are changing lives.

The problem with these programs is that kids do not have the transportation to get there (or home). Sure, in large metropolitan areas there is public transportation - but  can only  be used it if the kids have the change to drop in the bucket. I am betting the kids who desperatley want to attend the afterschool programs are among the poor. FOr they are the ones left out in the cold because it costs money to play afterschool sports or join an afterschool club.

My fear is that these programs will dry up, unable to even help those kids in walking distance of the programs - because of the small number of kids utilizing them.

If there was just an affordable way to transport these kids back and forth, this would make a huge impact on today's society. More kids would have higher self esteem, go on to college and espcecially STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.

Sorry to tbe the wet blanket.

August 21, 2006, 3:35 pm CDT

08/21 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin with JCPenney Jam

Quote From: randgall

Yes, I'm sure you aren't effecting your children.

WHATEver!!!!

If that makes you feel better, stay in YOUR happy place, but avoid Dr. Phil if you aren't in the REAL world.

How is it effecting her children?

August 21, 2006, 5:00 pm CDT

after school programs

Quote From: smile4di

I was impressed with JC Penny, the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Clubs. What they are doing is great. They are changing lives.

The problem with these programs is that kids do not have the transportation to get there (or home). Sure, in large metropolitan areas there is public transportation - but  can only  be used it if the kids have the change to drop in the bucket. I am betting the kids who desperatley want to attend the afterschool programs are among the poor. FOr they are the ones left out in the cold because it costs money to play afterschool sports or join an afterschool club.

My fear is that these programs will dry up, unable to even help those kids in walking distance of the programs - because of the small number of kids utilizing them.

If there was just an affordable way to transport these kids back and forth, this would make a huge impact on today's society. More kids would have higher self esteem, go on to college and espcecially STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.

Sorry to tbe the wet blanket.

I'm glad that there are organizations out there that want to help our children.  However, I recently moved to a rural area and there aren't ANY after school programs or summer camp activities for any of my children to attend.  The nearest is over 25 miles away and I don't really want to travel that far on back woods roads to get there.

The main people who seem to benefit from these Dr. Phil programs and other companies like JC Penny (we don't even have one around here) are the URBAN communities.  Yes, our community here is a very poor one, but because it is not a big city and only a small town, our children are apparently not worthy of the attention that Dr. Phil and others lavish on those larger communities.

If there was funding available, I would volunteer myself to help ... but not even our public schools will provide anything that would help any of our children in these small towns.

August 21, 2006, 6:33 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: twodimplz1

Are you kidding me?  These two women need to get a grip!  That teenage girl needs to work on how good of a person she is, how good her grades are, and the step-mother needs to make sure she is being the best and most supportive mom that she can be.  I'm sorry, but not even Marilyn Monroe was a size two...she was a size 12.....you people watch way too much celebrity TV...measure yourself by your health and not by your pants size!!

First of all, the mom should encourage and support her DAUGHTER!! For what and who she is!!!! Instead of trying to make her be something she isn't?? But then again, the DAUGHTER shouldn't worry about what her mom does. This is her life, and it won't last long!!! So she need to live the best she can!!

August 22, 2006, 3:44 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

And Ask Doctor Phil/Robin. Is this the same like the last time? I think so. And that was last year. See you tomorrow Afternoon. Well I had better close now. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--

August 25, 2006, 5:53 pm CDT

Quote From: afraid

and what you call boring could be a breath of fresh air to others, in fact its good to see shows of all types, dr phil covers the board and relly gives all of us a very wide varritey of shows to watch, if you find a show too boring to watch maybe try changing chanels as many people do,  lol   looks like your up to date on what a re run is lol it is in deed the same show over and over  lol have a good day and a better tomorrow.

Good Point. I am up to date on all Dr. Phil episodes......

I admit the day I posted that message was really......really.....LONG

Thanks for the reply

September 1, 2006, 3:39 am CDT

Thank you!

Quote From: bsboop

I agree that it's everyone's choice as to what they do during labor and delivery.  If you are in pain, there are meds for that purpose.  I just don't understand why most people in the audience gasped when the woman stated she had missed her epidural because she was watching Dr. Phil.  Imagine!  Missing an epidural when you had full control over when you get to the hospital.  It sounds like it was her problem and not Dr. Phil's.   

The other issue is the whole natural childbirth vs. drugs during labor and delivery.  My son was born without any drugs and if possible, I'll do the same with our 2nd child.  I felt fabulous afterwards and to me, pain is a just part of it.  It's mind over matter.  I knew there were pain meds available to me if I wanted them but by the time pain go to that point, I was complete and ready to deliver. 

Why should someone be rewarded for choosing a certain method of birth?  It was her choice not to go to the hospital right away too - just as much as it was my choice to not take any pain meds. 

This show only just aired yesterday here in the Netherlands. And I thought it was ridicoulus that the audience gasped when she stated she had missed her epidural. I was glad to see that there are other people outside my country who think it is not the end of the world to deliver without drugs.

Hundreds of woman deliver without drugs. And I am not talking about poor people in third world countries. The Netherlands is one of the best countries in Europe when is comes down to childbirth.

The majorety of Dutch woman give birth in the sanctuary of their own home. Without a doctor, hospital and drugs but wit people (mostly women) who are specialiced in helping women through labor.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page