Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin with JCPenney Jam

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:58:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/09/05) It's Ask Dr. Phil and Robin day! When they say "anything goes," the guests take full advantage. Melissa says her sex life is boring, and that it's all her husband, Spencer's, fault because he is too uptight. He says he's tired of being a piece of meat. Can they meet in the middle when it comes to the bedroom? Next, Russell says his daughter, Nyla, is a piano-playing prodigy. His wife thinks he's pushing Nyla too hard -- especially since she's only 7 months old! Then, a mother and her teenage stepdaughter compete to see who can eat less in order to lose weight, and Robin tries to set them straight. And, a mother fears for her 13-year-old daughter, Kelli, who drinks, smokes and is missing curfew. See what Dr. Phil has planned for Kelli. Plus, go backstage and get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil and Robin hosting the JCPenney Jam Concert for America's Kids, and learn how this organization is working hard to provide kids with opportunities after school. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2005, 1:43 pm CST

competition with dauaghter

i have a 15 1/2 daughter and she lost weight walking and riding her bike this summer and sure she complains about her weight, however, i tell her she looks fine but, if she wants to tone up or loose a little more than go for it. she weighs what i weighed in high school and it isn't a bad weight. i was a size 3 until i got pregnant with her and went from 120 - 186 in 9 months.  

today people expect people to look a certian way, teenagers are very critial now days and it isnt a good thing either. i thought it was horrible the way they compete. now, my daughter and i want to work out and go walking together and we have, but, not as a competition thing just for spending time together and for the exercise its self. things are hard enough on teenagers at this age don't make the pressure more. the way the step mom feels is what the daughter has grown up to  and this is what she sees and thinks it should be. i mean the mom admited that she always got by on her looks. looks are not everything in  life. its the kind of person you are in side and how you treat people. i feel like the mom has put some of this in the daughters head and its kinda scarey.  i think maybe they need to watch some of the modles that have overdosed, commited suicide because of the weight they thought they had on them. they all thought they were to fat and to be honest drugs is something some kids will turn to if they think are to fat. they already take diet pills and that isnt good. i agree with dr. phil but, there is to much peer pressure. 

December 9, 2005, 1:45 pm CST

12/09 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin

i just wanted to say that i thought the show today was great, however i did not agree at all with the daughter and her step mom feeling fat.  i have a friend who is a size 0 and she still thinks shes fat, and now when she complains about it, people tell her she is fat, just so she wil shut up!  i am not a small person, but i don't try to make myself look like a barbie doll, i am happy the way i am. and if someone has a good personality and is confident about themselves, people don't even care about the looks aspect anymore.  i also think that, it is totally heathy for someone who is a size 2 to put on a few pounds, and its obvious that she cares about her weight and won't let herself gain alot, so there was no need to insult over 50% on the population who is over a size 12.  i just think that ppl like that (small and think they are fat) are looking for attention. 

December 9, 2005, 1:55 pm CST

The Selfish

Quote From: joylie

I don't think he rewards BAD BEHAVIOUR - I think he did a very nice thing for those people and many others on his show - believe me having had problems bring up five boys years ago and some good years and bad years I would have loved to have had a "Dr. Phil" in my neighbourhood that I could have reached out to.  I deserve a lot of things but unfortunately have not been so lucky to benefit and most of the time I feel good that he is able to help so many people that deserve it.  Good Luck to them and Congratulations Dr.Phil I love your show and wish you had been around when I needed you.     KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! 

It is really unfortunate that you believe that lending someone in need, a hand is rewarding bad behavior??..I really hope that you don't fall on bad times. Things happen for a reason, and yes we do have control over most things but, there are things that happen  that are not in  someone's control, or regardless of what decisions they had made whether good or bad. Thank God for people, whom are caring and and can see past the judgments of a much smaller minded individual. All I can say, is shame on you. and by the way, you missed spelled ignorant. wow, funny 

how that happened. 

Ciao, 

December 9, 2005, 2:02 pm CST

Snow White

Quote From: beyond_it

wow! I really feel sorry for the woman and her daughter.  I think it is a shame that that the mother is so obsessed with weight and looks that she has to point out and criticize her daughter if she gains even a couple of pounds. Wow, get a life and quit obsessing about your daughter's weight. You are turning her into a neurotic, self-centered, weight obsessed person. Thank god my mother was never like that, she always told me how beautiful I was (even during my awkward years) and taught me that inner beauty was way more important than how you look on the outside because beauty fades no matter how much plastic surgery you have. Besides, eventually you end up looking unnatural and creepy. I suggest you focus on  developing your inner self so that when your looks eventually fade (and they will) you have inner beauty. I have to say I think Dr. Phil was way too easy on this woman and the damage she is doing to herself and her daughter. There is nothing wrong with dieting and exercising to look your best and taking pride in your appearance but there are limits.
I agree the damage to this girl as been done.  Mama needs to get a life.  The girl needs a passion to follow besides self.  Lets see does anyone think this story resembles "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is fairest of us all"?  Didn't that story involve a competitive step-mother?  Unfortunately if a handsome prince should appear everyone will be too busy with the mirror to notice.  Maybe the moral of that story is to get away from the competition, roll up one's sleeves and get a passion and work on a talent.  (For instance cleaning the cottage with forest animals and little men while singing beautifully.)  Then if a prince rides by great if not, hey, the cottage is clean and some new friends were made!

December 9, 2005, 2:03 pm CST

What's wrong with size 12?

Well, I feel really sorry for that woman and her stepdaughter! I can't believe what the stepmom said: "You'd better watch it or soon you will be a size 12." I'm sorry, but I find that incredibly offensive! I am a happy, healthy size 12. I am 5'8" and weigh 155. I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off over 12 years. I am an active person who eats a healthy diet. There is nothing wrong with eating ice cream every once and awhile! She needs to realize that moderation is the key and that what Robin said was completely true: your health needs to be your biggest concern, not what the tag inside your clothes says. Healthy people come in all shapes and sizes.  

December 9, 2005, 2:10 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: cathka

I think Dr. Phil dropped the ball big time on this stepmom.  It is obvious she is so self absorbed to not realize what a tender and impressionable age this child is and how many young girls her age (and younger) become anorexic and bullemic due to poor self image.  What a lousy message to send and role model to be that looks are all that is important in life.  That's a tragedy!
  I have to agree!  Not only did Dr. Phil drop the ball but so did Robin  the Girl is 15 her body is changing  why didn't someone point that out to the poor girl she is looking to her step-mom what about her real mom what size was she Genitics has a lot to do with it. I do agree that it's not about size it's about a healthy life style.   I just wanted to say to that mom Duh! if all you see from a parent is about size and about remind me if I let my stomach stick out then what do you expect . You teach her to worry about just that.   As for the father that thinks his daughter is a Piano prodidgy I just have one thing to say  get Real. My son and Daughter did the same thing at that age it is called Cause and effect. give her some time if it's meant to be it will be it's great that you are spending time with her every child needs one on one time and it's great that they have that time.  Thats all for now

December 9, 2005, 2:18 pm CST

mother daughter weight issues

This mother should ask herself...Would it be HORRIBLE if my daughter were a size 12?  If the answer to this is yes, then I have to say that is really pathetic.  You should be telling your daughter how beautiful she really is, not tell her how she has to eat less and work out more.   You (if you actually read these posts) should think twice at the damage you are doing.  On the show she said that she feels bad about eating....this is damage that you have instilled in her.  Shame on YOU!!!!  Do you want to see her in a couple year suffering from an eating disorder, because it starts like this.  I have suffered with an eating disorder for 4.5 years and my mom would do some of the same things you do to your daughter.  You need to wake up-this isn't a GAME.

December 9, 2005, 2:21 pm CST

a two hun

i'm a size ten and a fifteen year old...when i was 13 i was a 16. i didn't really do anything to loose the weight, i started marching in band, and i just started eating heathier. i'm very happy at my size. my best friend is a size 12 in LITTLE GIRLS,  and my age as well. it was slightly offensive when she said, "But she's going to be a 12 if she's not careful." it's not going to kill her to gain wieght. i am a perfectly healthy 15 year old. i'm at the top of my class, fairly sucsesful in music, and have never been made fun of for my size. almost all of my friends are substatually smaller than me, but it's not a big deal. i don't see why you would spend you time worring about your weight(not you health itself) when you're a two. you can look good at many sizes if you try to. i think i'm probablly less self concious than this woman is, and i'm a fifteen yearold size ten.

December 9, 2005, 2:41 pm CST

looks aren't as important as you think

I think it's true that in today's society looks are very important, but what if something happened and your good looks were gone?   

It's not healthy to compete with someone about who eats less!  In order to be healthy your body needs a certain amount of calories, vitamins, minerals, etc.  This sort of competition and exercise compulsion is one step from an eating disorder. 

Maybe both mother and daughter have body dysmorphic disorder. 

December 9, 2005, 3:22 pm CST

Why the competition?

The stepmother/daughter competition creeped me out. If the stepmother wants to be obsessed about her own weight, it's sad but her problem. She's an adult. But to push your stepdaughter to feel like she has to also carry that obsession when her body is maturing is WRONG. It can push a girl into an eating disorder that can ruin her life. 

I find that in some communities, a lot of times the wealthier ones, the mothers are almost competing with their daughters to look hip and sexy. It's really sad. Believe me, I'm all for dressing fashionably and being in shape. That's great. But when I see women in their late 40s wearing their teen daughter's midriff-baring tops and short skirts, it's embarassing. I've gone to pick up my nieces at their school and seen some of these moms. Do they realize how they look? 

You can be youthful and classy without looking like a teenage girl. Look at Robin. She looks younger than her age but not like a teeny bopper.  

What's the stepmother going to do when she's in he 70s? There's only so much plastic surgery can do by that time.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last