Message Boards

Topic : 12/14 Dr. Phil and Robin's Holiday Extravaganza

Number of Replies: 105
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 09, 2005, 04:02:24 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil and Robin kick off their annual Holiday Extravaganza! They've invited families who had to evacuate their homes and leave everything behind because of Hurricane Katrina, host families who have opened their hearts and homes, and some amazing children who raised money for the relief efforts. It's a special celebration that includes a winter wonderland, celebrity surprises and the best toys and games for some deserving children! Talk about  the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2005, 1:14 pm CST

so called katrina victims

i sincerely hope that the dr phil show is not helping any of the people who left their companion animals behind without food and water, to die slow painful deaths from dehydration. i would never leave my animals behind, and i did not during the two hurricanes that effected the tampa bay area last year.  

those people should not be felt sorry for. and they do not deserve to receive their animals back. 

close to 200,000 animals of all types died in the aftermath of katrina because of the selfishness of their care givers. 

the animals were the true victims of katrina. they had no voice, no choice. 

December 11, 2005, 2:57 pm CST

Sure Makes a person feel good

Quote From: kinksfan

I'll be watching all three shows.  Dr Phil, I admire you.  It makes me feel good when I see people like you helping the people who really need it.
Hello from West Virginia  >>>>>>> As bad as I have been feeling ( more so since the Holiday Season is here ) it warms My heart to see EXTRA fine people such as Dr. Phil & Mrs Robin doing the special things for people. I am hoping that one of these days I will be able to give gifts to my family. I have been a little self-centered dealing with the Lost of My Husband, that this year I am in no shape to give even a samll gift. I just think it is wonderful that folks like these 2 EXTRA fine people do this.      << < You are Gods angels sent here to earth ( OH BY THE WAY I NEVER MISS YOUR SHOW )   Love and Prayers                        

December 11, 2005, 5:28 pm CST

We won't see it in Australia

Channel 9 Australia are intentionally taking older and older editions of your show. We will be lucky to see the current shows before July 2006, by which time many will be completely out of context. Certainly the many interesting message boards will be inactive and as well as many of the valuable links. 

In Self Matters Phil talks about the importance of being in touch with your own values. Although generosity of spirit is clearly one of Phil's and Robin's I think the show is moving towards over indulgence. Not sure if that is quite the word I'm looking for? The actual material value of the gift is far less important than the feelings that accompany them. However, when the gifts become ever more valueable and in a monetary sense generous, it raises the expectation of all participants of the show in that materialistic view of value. It's a bit like Lotto, I'd rather see 200 seniors get half a million each than one get $100M. 

For me the real benefit comes from Phil's techniques, skills and opinions that he has brought from psychology to helping people in their everyday lives. 

I see a real dichotomy in Phil's advice implying better balance in our lives and families, and in doing that it often requires curtailing materialistic objectives so that one can spend more time with family, loved ones and for yourself, as it is in our relationships that the high value benefits all eminate, but then demonstarting his warmth and caring through extravagant materialistic means. 

I wonder which would be more valuable to Robin? Phil putting an apron on and making her some homemade rum bonbons with a card with some of his poetic words, or a diamond necklace? What would Robin do for Phil, for under $10? 

December 11, 2005, 10:13 pm CST

ploring

Quote From: ploring

Channel 9 Australia are intentionally taking older and older editions of your show. We will be lucky to see the current shows before July 2006, by which time many will be completely out of context. Certainly the many interesting message boards will be inactive and as well as many of the valuable links. 

In Self Matters Phil talks about the importance of being in touch with your own values. Although generosity of spirit is clearly one of Phil's and Robin's I think the show is moving towards over indulgence. Not sure if that is quite the word I'm looking for? The actual material value of the gift is far less important than the feelings that accompany them. However, when the gifts become ever more valueable and in a monetary sense generous, it raises the expectation of all participants of the show in that materialistic view of value. It's a bit like Lotto, I'd rather see 200 seniors get half a million each than one get $100M. 

For me the real benefit comes from Phil's techniques, skills and opinions that he has brought from psychology to helping people in their everyday lives. 

I see a real dichotomy in Phil's advice implying better balance in our lives and families, and in doing that it often requires curtailing materialistic objectives so that one can spend more time with family, loved ones and for yourself, as it is in our relationships that the high value benefits all eminate, but then demonstarting his warmth and caring through extravagant materialistic means. 

I wonder which would be more valuable to Robin? Phil putting an apron on and making her some homemade rum bonbons with a card with some of his poetic words, or a diamond necklace? What would Robin do for Phil, for under $10? 

I absolutely love your message and agree that it is a huge contradiction in messages to shower guests with expensive gifts.  Last week, everyone in the audience received a $250 face lift facial as a gift.  Then the next guest was raked over the coals for putting too much emphases on her looks.  Where is the balance?  I don't know what kind of help the doc is offering in these holiday shows but the word extravaganza might give us a clue. 

December 12, 2005, 12:51 pm CST

Wow

I just wanted to post to say that what is being done there is truly amazing. Especialy that christmas is coming up, families are truly in need and they need anything that they can get. Dr.Phil is truly doing an amazing job and he is doing so much to help out and hes touched so many lives. I think its really important to the families knowing that people are really trying to help. There has been so many disasters these past years and its amazing for the people in need to know that there is still hope. We are ready to face anything, there is no giving up. I am really excited to see the show.
Stephany

December 12, 2005, 3:05 pm CST

Dr. Phil & Robin's Holiday Extravaganza

Although my feeling of frustration is over, I feel that you, Dr. Phil, and Robin, should know how hard it is for a private citizen to find the right connection to donate money for the children of Katrina.  All my husband and I wanted to do was to donate money for the childrens Christmas.  The American Red Cross in our area said that all donations went to the relief fund for the survivors and could not be designated to a special concern.  I spent 4 days sending e-mails, calling and leaving messages that were never answered.  After searching the Internet, many times, I just started calling charities, foundations, etc. in Louisiana.  One call finally led me to someone who was helping the children.  Today I sent out our check and feel quite secure that our money will be used to give a few children the Christmas that they deserve.  Mother Nature may have taken everything from the children, but they have to believe that there is still a Santa Claus. 

December 12, 2005, 3:20 pm CST

Choices Made

Quote From: mutroom1

i sincerely hope that the dr phil show is not helping any of the people who left their companion animals behind without food and water, to die slow painful deaths from dehydration. i would never leave my animals behind, and i did not during the two hurricanes that effected the tampa bay area last year.  

those people should not be felt sorry for. and they do not deserve to receive their animals back. 

close to 200,000 animals of all types died in the aftermath of katrina because of the selfishness of their care givers. 

the animals were the true victims of katrina. they had no voice, no choice. 

If I was ever in the position to make a choice between my family and myself surviving or my pet - I wouldn't have to give it a second thought.  The people who were caught in the throes of the hurricane, waiting on the roofs of their floating homes to be rescued had no water to leave their pets.  The rescuers were quite adamant about people first as it should be.  And rescuers did go back for the animals once they felt that all people were rescued and secured.  The pet owners and the rescuers did the best they could under the circumstances.

December 13, 2005, 12:19 am CST

Christmas

Dr. Phil and Robin, 

I wish you and your children a wonderful Christmas. Please treasure your children as you never know how long they will be in your life. It is great to see that you are able to help so many people. There will be no Christmas for me this year as I have buried my last child a month ago. Please Dr. Phil and Robin tell everyone to treasure their family while they still have them. I will go with my commonlaw husband up to Edmonton for Chrismas day and that will be that. I really want to stay home by myself but I know he will not let me. 

December 13, 2005, 3:10 pm CST

Merry Christmas

Wishing Dr. Phil and Robin a very special Christmas as they share with others.  That's what Christmas is all about, isn't it?  God sharing His son with earth.  God bless you for the good you do.

December 14, 2005, 6:29 am CST

Disappointed

I am disappointed that you called it a "holiday show".  I will no longer go to stores that do not play Xmas carols, not ever again.  I am just sick to death of placating the liberals who are so afraid they might offend 1 athiest on this CHRISTIAN Holiday.  This country was founded on Christianity, if they don't like it, too bad.  People say that believe and then whimp out when it comes to standing up for it. 

I really thought you were different Dr Phil but my opionion is been changing lately. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last