Message Boards

Topic : 12/20 Christmas Miracle

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 15, 2005, 05:23:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Gwen started life with the odds against her. Her father died tragically in a fire the day she was born, and doctors told her mother that because of a life-threatening illness, Gwen probably wouldn't live past the age of 7. For years she struggled with her illness and, just when all hope appeared to be lost, everything changed. Find out why her family believes they have received two miracles this year and what Dr. Phil has planned to make this holiday the best ever for her. Then, David suffers from hemophilia and feels excruciating pain every day. He hasn't been able to work and says the worst part is knowing he is a burden to his family. See Dr. Phil's life-changing surprise for David and his family. Plus, Kathy defied her verbally abusive husband to appear on Dr. Phil recently and determined that she needed out of her relationship. Follow her journey since then and see why she believes her miracle -- is Dr. Phil! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 31, 2005, 9:39 pm CST

Double Lung Transplantation

Quote From: kourtneye

I have Cystic Fibrosis too I am 23 years old and I am also in the hospital right now. I came in the night of that show. I just want to wish you the best if you decide to get the transplant. If you ever wanna talk you can e-mail me at GlitterSkySparkl@aol.com. Stay Strong Okay My name is Kourtney

Although I didn't get to see the show, I am also a CF patient and the recipient of a double lung tx at UNC. Both of you hang tough. Transplantation seems like the scariest thing possible when you hear the words.  I just turned 21 and my transplant came on Feb. 16, 2004. I was on 12 litters of 02 and couldn't take a shower by myself. My current lung function was 12% and today its 109 FEV1. 

Transplantation is the best thing that ever happened to me, and most everyone else that awaited for their lung tx due to CF also would say it was well worth it. Its sometimes sad but a good thing that I can say I don't remember being sick now and how it was so hard to breath.          

Transplantation isn't always a happy ending, but in any case, my fellow lung tx and I both would agree, its worth the chance, and it really isn't all that bad.  You have my promise if it means anything. Hang strong and Never Ever give in, Never.  

God Bless each of You, 

Christian Goodpaster 

If you would like to contact me my email is Naturesfly@aol.com  

"Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here" 

- This transplant saved my life and many others just like me. If you want to make a diffrence that will last at the end of the line, Become an organ donor.

December 31, 2005, 9:50 pm CST

little info

Quote From: dgetman1

I wanted to reply to your question.  As Gwen and David have new healthy lungs, they  do not have the same germs and infections as before.
While, they still have CF, the new lungs do not.
As transplant patients, they have to be very  careful to not catch colds or the flu, it can cause rejection.
One thing they do have to watch is sinus infections.  The sinus cavities can  hide the old germs and infect the new lungs.
So far, Gwen and David are doing well.
Gwen's Mom

Gwen of course is right. I am a double lung tx recipent due to CF as well. We are told not to really get involved with fellow Cf patients prior to tx as a general rule because of the germ/infection issue. Post transplant things change, somewhat. We have to be as careful as ever though our lungs are free of infections that caused our old lungs to grow bacteria.  Im currently seeing someone with CF also, seems to be a trend. We couldnt date pre-transplant though both of us have now had transplants and our doctors are not worried. Our new lungs dont have CF so we are vertially free of of lung infections, though bacteria can reinfect the news lungs for various reasons down the line post transplant. 

Gwen's Mom- as I said im seeing someone with CF. Your daugter and her soon to be husband is an inspiration to us that anything is possible. 

January 19, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

Best Wishes to Gwen and David

I want to pass on my best wishes to Gwen and David on their upcoming wedding.  I wish them health and happiness for their future. 

I haven't been able to write until now. 

I saw the show and just cried.  Although happy for them, January 6th was the 5th anniversary of Cystic Fibrosis killing my daughter - my only child.  She was only 20.  She was awaiting a double lung transplant.  Her death was very sudden (she had gone to a New Year's Eve party) and they weren't able to stabilize her to transfer her to the hospital that was going to perform the transplant. 

However, through her death, she was able to give the gift of sight to 2 people.  She always said that she wasn't a hypocrite - she couldn't be on the waiting list for a transplant and not be an organ donor herself. 

***************************If you are not an organ donor, become one!******************************** 

AGAIN, I WISH GWEN AND DAVID A VERY LONG LIFE OF LOVE AND HAPPINESS :-) 

April 21, 2006, 5:44 pm CDT

My son has CF

My 9 year old son has CF, we havent had problems so far with his lungs.  Thank god.  But I do want to thank Dr. Phil and everyone else who is organ donors who save peoples lives everyday!  You are all hero's in my eyes.  If my son ever needs to have a transplant I dont know what I would do.  It is sad that someone has to pass in order for someone else to live, but knowing that you could save someones life is the most precious gift you have given anyone in your whole life.   

Congradulations to Gwen and David you are a beautiful couple, and will have many happy years together as man and wife. 

July 31, 2006, 4:15 am CDT

HMMMMM

Quote From: shanhan

Life is full of miracles, you just have to look for them.  If someone spends all of their time looking for huge miracles then they miss the small ones right in front of them.  it could be as small as an ant hill or it could be as big as an elephant.  You just have to be open to them,  if you really think about it, in some way everything is a miracle in some way.
To say I believe in nothing is false.  Just because I don't need something so obvious that it smacks me in the face does not indicate the belief in nothing.  There are people who NEED miracles in their lives and suffer everyday, and I pray for them each night before I go to bed.  I am not in need of such a miracle so I find my own miracles in little things so I can hold on to my belief in them, because I can not pray for something I do not believe in. 

March 18, 2007, 10:40 am CDT

Gwen Roberts Cone 1981-2007

Gwen Roberts-Cone, the woman with Cystic Fibrosis who was featured on this episode passed away Thursday March 15, 2007. Thanks to the Dr. Phil show and all the users who posted nice things on here about Gwen and her husband David. She was so so strong and we appreciate the show honoring that when they had her on.

Gwen's sister,

Jennifer

December 12, 2007, 12:58 am CST

David's Coffee Roasting Business Has Opened

My name is Sarah. I grew up with David, our parents met while they were in college and they were the best  of friends. I just wanted to let everyone know that David & Sharon have finally been able to open their coffee roasting business; my husband and I are their partners.

The name of the business is Jameson Brown Coffee Roasters. Our website is www.jamesonbrown.com. It's been a long, hard road but we finally opened our doors for business on April 14, 2007. None of us ever imagined that it would take so long!

I came to the message boards excited about sharing this news with you and was deeply saddened to hear of Gwen's death. I want Gwen's family to know that our prayers are with them in their grief.

December 26, 2007, 10:34 pm CST

gwen roberts

Quote From: jenl84

Gwen Roberts-Cone, the woman with Cystic Fibrosis who was featured on this episode passed away Thursday March 15, 2007. Thanks to the Dr. Phil show and all the users who posted nice things on here about Gwen and her husband David. She was so so strong and we appreciate the show honoring that when they had her on.

Gwen's sister,

Jennifer

iam so sad to hear this about gwen,what a lovely couragous woman. i too have a child with cystic fibrosis so i can totally understand how her family is feeling.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next Page | Last Page