Message Boards

Topic : 12/20 Christmas Miracle

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 15, 2005, 05:23:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Gwen started life with the odds against her. Her father died tragically in a fire the day she was born, and doctors told her mother that because of a life-threatening illness, Gwen probably wouldn't live past the age of 7. For years she struggled with her illness and, just when all hope appeared to be lost, everything changed. Find out why her family believes they have received two miracles this year and what Dr. Phil has planned to make this holiday the best ever for her. Then, David suffers from hemophilia and feels excruciating pain every day. He hasn't been able to work and says the worst part is knowing he is a burden to his family. See Dr. Phil's life-changing surprise for David and his family. Plus, Kathy defied her verbally abusive husband to appear on Dr. Phil recently and determined that she needed out of her relationship. Follow her journey since then and see why she believes her miracle -- is Dr. Phil! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 20, 2005, 3:24 pm CST

Miracles Are All Around Us

Miracles are all around us, but our eyes, hearts, and minds have to be willing to accept them. When I was 11 years old my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. At the time all I know of cancer was that people who got it died. We were lucky because we caught it early and mom was treated with a little radiation and surgery. In 1994 when I was 14 and just starting high school mom was diagnosed breast cancer again. This one was a fast moving cancer and the doctors said she could die if we did not respond agressively. We started with surgery, then radiation, followed by about six months of chemotherapy. My sister and I helped mom shave her head when she started losing her hair. It was on of the most difficult things I have ever had to do, but at the same time the three of us found joy in this difficult experience. Mom went into remission and was cancer free until 1997, which was the beginning of my Senoir year of high school. This time it was ovarian not breast cancer. It was III to IV stage and the doctors said there was not much hope, but my mom looked at her family and told the doctor that she wasn't ready to give up yet. She started chemo almost immediately and continued for a year. After the year she remained in remission until 2001 when IV stage ovarian cancer was back and she would surely die, or that is what the doctor told us. She said she wasn't ready to give up and started chemo yet again. In 2003 the doctor said they were out of treatment options and recommended hospice. This was 4 months before my wedding. My mom said that God had not brought her this far to let her miss out on my big day so she got a 2nd opinion. In 2004 mom had normal tumor counts meaning she was cancer free. Then I found out I was pregnant. Mom's cancer was back and spreading and we were seriously running out options, but mom was willing to try anything. I had my baby in May. Mom died due to liver failure from the chemo and a large tumor on her liver. in June. Now some of you reading this and saying how is this a miracle... I was terrified when I was 11 that my mom wouldn't get to be at my wedding and not get to see my kids, but God allowed her to do both of these things. So people can say that there is no such thing as a miracle, but I know different. That past 14 and a half years that I was given with my mom were all miracles.  Every single day was a miracle. Yes, some were hard, but all were miracles.

December 20, 2005, 3:28 pm CST

MIRACLES

I found myself crying so hard that I had a hard time watching this show today. I have many health problems but I can say I will not complain as much after this show. I feel kinds of embarrassed for complaining after seeing these people and their children toughing it out and without whining .  i do believe in miracles, a miracle is when you believe enough  in God that he will see you though your misfortune or ill mess. The saying that he Will not give you anymore then you can handle is sooo true. It is hard for me to get out of bed in the morning but if I don't I might as well not ever get out of bed and that is not an option. So thank you   Dr, Phil and Robin for making me realize again that there are people out there worse off then me.  Merry Christmas and keep up the great work you are doing I never miss your show, I have ;learned so much. I have your book on losing weight maybe some day i  will follow it. Thanks for listening to me and God Bless you and your family.  Goodbye Sue  

December 20, 2005, 3:52 pm CST

Gwen's story

I was very touched by Gwen's story. Her story really was a blessing to me and my family. She has such a wonderful future to look forward to-her spectacular wedding and life with her fiancee. I wish her all the happiness in the world.

December 20, 2005, 4:02 pm CST

No Whining Allowed

I was really touched by the stories today. I find that many of us are quick to complain and whine when things don't go our way. I know I do. I really felt like this show was a lesson to those of us who are going through tough times that there really is a way to find happiness as long as we are willing to look for it and accept it into our lives. I know that when I was watching the show I thought of all the little thing that I have recently been griping about and I realized that I need to wake up and know that although I have and will have some health issues for the rest of my life. I have found a spouse that supports me and loves mean in spite of it and through that love it has brought me such love and joy in our new 8 month old son. I know that life is hard sometimes, and I also know that it can be tough to deal with life when we feel that we may not make it. But I found through this show today that miracles can happen, even if it is that we live one more day to be with our families and for that I am grateful more than words can say. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and hope that things will look bright for you and your families.

December 20, 2005, 4:06 pm CST

David the inspiration

Quote From: zaphron

does anyone know if David has started a website yet to sell his roasted coffee?  I'd love to order some...

I have not seen a thing about  the new coffee business. It might be too soon. I wish I knew how to follow up on this story, because it is truly inspirational. 

Lets hope Dr. Phil's staff will keep us informed about this family. Aren't they delightful? 

I think there are alot of us who like his coffee already. 

December 20, 2005, 4:10 pm CST

To Gwen's sister!

Quote From: jenl84

I think yourcomment wasvery insensitive. The show is not just for entertainment and for anyone to come along and make comments like yours. The people on the show like my sister Gwen and our family are real and our experiences are real and I think you should remember that when you reduce her life to mere luck. Weather or not you belive in miracles from God, you cannot deny that she is a medical miracle. The doctors themselves said they don't know how she was alive with the lungs she had. You don't have to belive in miracles from a higher power, but please do belive that Gwen survived for more than luck: it was her determination and strength and stubborness to live, along with everything my wonderful mother did for her and all the incredible doctors, and that person who died and happened to be a match for her.

I'm glad you responded back to this person, but that isn't why I'm writing. 

I think you sister's story is amazing and I'm so happy for her.  And you are absolutely correct.  "Luck" is not the reason she is alive but it truly is her "determination and strength and stubborness to live...."  

I recieved a heart transplant in 1990 at the age of 17.  Doctor's had also told my mom I wouldn't live past the age of 1,5,10, and definitely wouldn't live to 18, with my 2-chambered heart.  But not only did I survive, I graduated from high school & college with honors, got married & last year gave birth to a beautiful baby girl...less than 100 heart transplant recipients worldwide have ever given birth!   

It is quite obvious from Dr. Phil's show that your sister is a survivor & has & will accomplish great things.  I'm so glad she shared her story with Dr. Phil not only because it was inspirational, but because I am a proponent of anything that promotes people to become organ donors.  Thank you & your family & especially Gwen for me. 

-Jill T - fellow transplant recipient 

December 20, 2005, 4:18 pm CST

God helps those who help themselves

Quote From: toomums

When my daughter was born, that was a miracle in itself. When she passed her meconium iliues on her own with no surgery, that was a miracle in itself. When she continues to thrive and grow and be a happy baby even with cf, that is a miracle within itself. With out her birth, I would have never been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, a miracle within itself. When the local community and churches came together to help raise money for a life substaining piece of equipment , that was a miracle within itself. When over 300 people attended this event, and we only knew 60, that was a miracle within itself! Miracles happen everyday, its just we have to have the ability to open our eyes and see them. I pity those who don't have that ability. Each breath my daughter takes, each smile she gives us....that is my miracle. 

God Bless those who don't believe. 

My life expericence---and I've had 64 years of life--is that it's fine to believe in miracles, but one cannot determine what miracle they may or may not be handed.  Another observation:  Some of the biggest hypocrits I've met in my life consider themselves to be righteous  folk who have permission to pass judgement on the "faithless".  My favorite t-shirt was given to me when a "Christian" day care kicked my grandson out, 2 weeks after he had seen his mother beaten up on a subway.  They said he was "acting out".  Fancy that!   The t-shirt reads:  JESUS, PLEASE PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS.

December 20, 2005, 4:20 pm CST

Gwen's story!

As I watched the show I was crying because my brother David, 24 just got out of the hospital on thanksgiving day from complications of cf.  The dr's were trying to get some of the mucus out of his lungs and he coded and was put on lifesupport! The dr's gave him less than 10% chance of survival. We've always known he was sick, but it was never so scarey before this hospitalization!!!! He always went in for a week every 6 months (when he was younger even less) or so and gain more strength and was fine!  The greif counselors came in and told us that we need to prepare ourselves for his fairwell! My brother is a fighter and has such a will to live....they took him off the lifesupport and he was able to breathe on his own!!! Our family knows the power of prayer has let him last this far!!!! He's also hoping to get the double lung transplants, but has to gain weight before the drs at uw medical center will put him on the list (he's only 86 lbs-- because he has too low of bmi and they think in order to overcome the surgery complications he has to be at least 101.5 lbs!) Please everyone join the donor registration and please make donations to the cystic fibrosis foundation for they can find a cure to this horrible disease! http://www.cff.org/home/ 

Dear Gwen your story made me more hopeful of my brother's condition! I'm glad both yours and your fiance's health is improved! 

December 20, 2005, 4:22 pm CST

Very Hard To Believe

I just loved the "Believe" song on the show today. It is so very true. I believe everything in life happens for a reason even though we may not see God's plan for a long time. And, I believe that we are never given more than we can handle. However, I am at a point where I am literally at the end of my rope with our family situation. I have never written on a message board before, but I thought it would be good "therapy" and we can use all the thoughts and prayers we can get! 

Two years ago at this time we were an upper middle class family, living in a nice neighborhood in a nice home. We were the ones giving our annual donations, buying toys for tots, and helping provide food for Metropolitan Ministries. How far we have fallen in that time. It all began on 1/1/04 when I slipped and fell while shopping for bargains and hurt my back. Three herniated discs, pain meds, therapy, cortisone shots, and back surgery followed. I received STD for 6 months and was then told by the insurance company that there was no reason for my constant pain and I should have my head checked out! Since I could not work or take care of our 4 children (including a 6 month old at the time), my husband quit his retail management job of 16 years to start a home business. Flash forward to today, we are renting a home 1/2 the size of our old one, have not paid any credit card bills since 1/1/05, our credit is totally destroyed, our youngest children had to be pulled out of daycare, my husband had clients that didn't pay him, we have sold everything of monetary value on e-bay, our car is about to be reposessed, we are being evicted on Friday, our phone (along with computer access) is going to be turned off at anytime, our kids have been through so much, we have no health insurance, and my parents have turned their back on me. 

My husband was able to finally find a job working nights for $9/hr (not even enough to pay the rent). Instead of being in management, he is now stocking shelves. Any money coming in is better than nothing. We did manage to let my son play football this fall, but had to borrow money from my husband's family to live, to have gas to drive him to games, to buy food. His family has been great and has gone way above the call of duty. My parents did loan us some money a few months ago with stipulations about repayment. I let them know that we were served with eviction papers and may be living in our van come Friday and that the phones could be turned off at any notice. Their response was "We're sending a Christmas package, what will happen to it if you aren't there on Friday" and "We were going to call you on Christmas, if you are there will the phone be working". I finally spoke my mind to them and told them how disappointed I was that they have not been there emotionally or financially throughout this whole ordeal. Their response was to overnight the package so we would have it before we were evicted. The $25 they spent on the postage could have bought a Christmas tree for the kids to enjoy for a few days. 

My husband is in total despair. He's depressed, feels like he's lert everyone down, could not understand why no one would respond to his resumes, etc. He says the only thing that keeps him going is the kids. Luckily, since I have the "glass is half full" mentality I have taken it somewhat better. Although 80% of the time I don't even want to get out of bed and too keep going for the kids. Our plan now is to try to move to Arizona where my in-law's live and the job market is much better. Since they have been so supportive emotionally and financially, it made us realize how much we wish we could spend more time with them and have our children build memories with their Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, cousin, and other extended members. That is the silver lining I am holding on to and think perhaps it is part of the reason behind God's plan. Two years ago, I would never have given a thought to moving from the state that I love so much. 

I guess I am also mad. Mad at the insurance company for taking my LTD payments and then not being there for me, mad at my parents, mad at my back, and I hate to admit it but even mad when I see other people in need being helped out on Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc. In the back of my mind I think, why not my family? My personal goal is to move from public sector sales to private sector sales. I would LOVE to raise money for a non-profit organization by somehow working from home. When I turned 40 I was at the "What's my purpose" state in my life. I always knew that I didn't want to always keep making money for companies, but somehow use my talents to help those less fortunate. Now, that's me!  

Anyway, I don't know what the next few days will bring. My husband and I and our 4 children could be living in our van. We don't even have enough gas money to get to AZ!! Both checking accounts have been overdrawn for weeks and when my husband gets his first paycheck it will go toward food. I still "Believe" and know all of this is happening for a reason. It's just a little harder on days like today. Thanks for llistening and I wish everyone a Happy Holidays and a Blessed New Year!! 

December 20, 2005, 4:25 pm CST

12/20 Christmas Miracle

Quote From: cardio_kid

I'm glad you responded back to this person, but that isn't why I'm writing. 

I think you sister's story is amazing and I'm so happy for her.  And you are absolutely correct.  "Luck" is not the reason she is alive but it truly is her "determination and strength and stubborness to live...."  

I recieved a heart transplant in 1990 at the age of 17.  Doctor's had also told my mom I wouldn't live past the age of 1,5,10, and definitely wouldn't live to 18, with my 2-chambered heart.  But not only did I survive, I graduated from high school & college with honors, got married & last year gave birth to a beautiful baby girl...less than 100 heart transplant recipients worldwide have ever given birth!   

It is quite obvious from Dr. Phil's show that your sister is a survivor & has & will accomplish great things.  I'm so glad she shared her story with Dr. Phil not only because it was inspirational, but because I am a proponent of anything that promotes people to become organ donors.  Thank you & your family & especially Gwen for me. 

-Jill T - fellow transplant recipient 

not only is there miracles here today on this show but also full of heroes. These people are heroes in my opinion, they don' complain and here spouses are also heroes. They have lost in he past and almost lost again and continue to do what ever it takes to help there children or spouse be comfortable or happy and seeing the one lady taking on extra jobs to try and have a christmas for there children.............Heroes

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last