Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Love Resolutions

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:02:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's a new year and time for resolutions! If you're looking to put the spark back into your marriage or find the relationship you've always dreamed of, this is your year to turn your love life around. Dr. Phil's first guests say they've lost that "lovin' feelin'" in their marriage because they bicker about everything -- from what to watch on TV to who should drive the car. Will they learn to become the stars in their own marriage? Then, Dr. Phil follows up with Janet and Noelle, who are determined to find a man. After reading Love Smart and brushing up on their dating skills, how will their next dates go? And Jeannie and Jo-Ann are back to get more dating advice from Dr. Phil. It's time for these guests -- and you -- to get a love fix in 2006! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 3, 2006, 7:18 pm CST

Dr. Phil is right

No one can be good in a relationship unless you love yourself first.  

I am going to buy the book,because I would like to have a love fix in 2006!!! 

Iam single and do believe I have alot to offer,I do not need a man but I want someone in my life. I need to find out where I go to find him. The internet has been a waste of money and I don't do bars. 

I am 58 and find it's not easy find a man in my age group. 

What I liked about todays show was the way Dr.Phil helped each woman without taking them too far out of their comfort zone. Like I said,I am going to buy the book. 

January 3, 2006, 7:23 pm CST

Link to Love Smart Quiz

http://drphil.com/articles/article/503/ 

Above is the link to the 'How Well Do You Know Men' quiz.  If the link does not work you can go to the search box and type in Love Smart and it should give you 10 results, the link will be the ninth one on the list.   

Hopefully you will know more about men than I do!!  :) 

January 3, 2006, 7:24 pm CST

Internet dating

Quote From: deafmom45

Yah I agreed .. knowing mostly guys  likes fit  ladies nice looking and beautiful. Very funny this is all they think is body not inside what we all women  have. Very rare to hear men like chubby women. Guess they are asking for it if men flirting with mates, gf  to make guys jealous. Stay back think about feeling personality and interests.  

I feel your pain.  I am 44 and I find the same thing with these men.  They can look like Budda, but they want women to look like the 20 year old they use to be.  I say be happy with yourself and the real man that is looking for a real woman curves and all will come our way.

January 3, 2006, 7:24 pm CST

Over50--or even over 60

Quote From: velvetbuny

I wish I had the answers for all of us over 50, it's not that easy to get back on the scene as the young ones say. We've been there, done that, and bought the T-Shirt only wishing we hadn't in the first place. Our age group isn't into bars, or singles clubs and meaningful friends who think our neighbor is just as available and might be a good catch.  Yeah right! Believe me he isn't. I want excitment, romance, someone who is compassionate, loves to have fun, not someones idea of sitting around with a beer and smokes reading the newspaper and expecting me to happy that at least he's home doing it. Just because we're over 50 doesn't mean we forgot what it's like to be in LOVE!  We also are not home in rocking chairs and unable to move about. So don't knock it till you've tried it, there's experience that comes with age that you won't find with Miss Perfect. So take a chance and look past all that, we're just as vulnerable as you are. We want more than just a one night stand. Are you sure you can handle it?
I agree that the older one is, the more difficult it is to find "the one."  I am in my early 60s, retired, but very active.  I am a college graduate, intelligent, with a wide variety of interests.  I belong to several organizations and am active in my religion.  I do not drink or smoke, so will not go to bars, as the kind of man I'm looking for also does not drink or smoke so I'm not likely to meet him there. I am a little "abundant" (that sounds so much better than "overweight"), but have started swimming every day and work out with a trainer twice a week, so I am dealing with that aspect.  I belong to an online dating service specific to my religion, but have not met anyone there yet.  Dr. Phil, why not give us older singles some ideas?  Dating is not the same for us as it is for the younger crowd.

January 3, 2006, 7:29 pm CST

you need to grow up...

Quote From: amy2434

JIm, you obviously have not dated the right women.  I also feel that there is a certain level of maturity needed for dating.  And if you only choose to date that kind of woman, and getting heartbroken, I'm wondering if you're setting yourself up for the pain.  Get that chip off your shoulder and learn how to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with someone else. 

Reading your message, I want to ask ?, what stupid wagon did you fall off of..........it clear that you want a woman to  be your slave, bow down to you........let me inform you that there are some woman that ,myself included that love for the man to take charge and be the man God intended him to be..........women are to HONOR their husbands and MEN are to LOVE their wives as God loves the church and gave his life for us...........no where does it say , women are to be SLAVES............we are our husbands helpers, woman was created from man's rib not his FOOT............so get with the program...............Dr. Phil and his lovely wife Robin are good examples................ 

January 3, 2006, 7:29 pm CST

Thanks for being you......

Quote From: jim1970

No.  Women (who are supposed to be independent and roaring) are the unfaithful ones.  I ALWAYS wanted to get married since I was IN MY TEENS.  I  NEVER wanted to go down this road.  But, years of torture have made me realize that American women are worse than priests.  They abuse men psychologically and financially.  While women claim that WE are unfaithful, it is THEY who wear short skirts and plunging necklines IN PUBLIC and say that flirting is harmless. 

I'm the best-and I'm finding a real woman....outside of America. 

OMG- thank you. How many other guys are going to come on here and admit that they have been dumped innumerable times? And that they have nothing going for them and nothing to offer? And that are willing to admit that they are going to buy a woman from another country? Most guys I know would simply say that they were unlucky in love. At least we all know why you have failed.

January 3, 2006, 7:30 pm CST

I did

Quote From: oilwife81

My husband and I argue and bicker and everything all the time.  I've told him that its coming down to counselling or court, and he flat out refuses counselling.  I am not ready to give up yet.  He doesn't want to go to counselling because he doesn't want to talk about things to a stranger.  So I suggested buying a book, that I would read and read out loud to him, and then we could discuss things afterwards.  Well he doesn't think that will work.  I asked him to just give me 30 minutes a day--what does he have to lose. 

My question is this: Is there anyone that is kind of in my situation where the husband or wife doesn't feel like reading a book will help? And is there anyone who has read the book by themselves and has noticed an improvement, because they were able to change their attitudes and it affected their partners? 

Please reply if you can offer suggestions before I buy the book. 

Thanks 

I read relationship rescue and my husband did not. I've also studied as much as I can about relationships and focused on changing myself. What this has done for me personally is given me some tools to use when I am communicating with my husband. Now I negotiate for what I want, I used to manipulate. I refuse to fight with him, which does not mean I always agree. I am also very specific about what I want from him.
I also have accepted the fact that in some areas He's probably not going to change.
What is it that you want from your marriage? I've thought so much about that. You can't be vague. You have to know just what you want if you have hopes of getting it.

January 3, 2006, 7:38 pm CST

Online Dating

6 years ago on a dare, I tried online dating. On Jan 1st, 2000, I met my husband for the first time (we had been chatting online for 6 months and talking on the phone for 4 months.) I had been stood up on my New Years Eve date-how lucky was I (!) and he called to see what was going on. I told him, we laughed and he came up (400 miles). We saw each other and fell in love. 6 years, 2 kids, 3 cats, 2 cars and a house later, we are still having fun. Every day, we tell each other everything, I tell him I love him and he does the same, I make him crazy, he drives me nuts-I am a tightwad, he is a spendthrift, I am a pacifist, and he is in the army. I am a democrat, he a republican. Who could ask for anything more????? My husband is the best.

January 3, 2006, 7:41 pm CST

MEN are the rulers of the house....

Dear Jim1970, 

I found your comments interesting.  I am sorry that you have not chosen your women right.  There are many good women out there that are looking for a good man.  However, your quote "MEN are the rulers of the house and the king of their domain... is not quite accurate. A male does not automatically get placed as the king of the house or as a ruler.  A man must earn the respect to be placed as the head of the household.  The head of the household cannot demand respect by yelling or strongly stating "I AM The MAN and ruler of the house...  It is done with gentleness, caring and by being able to be able to truly sense what is in the best interest for all that dwell under the same roof.  At times it means that the man needs to sacrifice...Unfortunately, too often men only see what is good for them and what they need without looking at the needs of their tender wife and/or children.  Being head of household is an incredible honor and responsibility.  

January 3, 2006, 7:42 pm CST

JUST WHAT WE NEED

Dr. Phil and Robin thank you both so much , you are certainly just what this world needs. Thank you for helping all of us heal our families and our love relationships God bless and keep you and your family safe and health this year and always, thanks again zoieshar

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last