Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Number of Replies: 355
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:05:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 01/04/06) Have you ever stepped on the scale and thought, "That number can't be right"? You don’t have to wait until the new year to resolve to lose weight or eat healthy. Kristine stopped making excuses for her weight and lost over 100 pounds, thanks to Dr. Phil's words of wisdom. See what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Nicole is only 25 but morbidly obese. After a wake-up call from her family, friends, and Dr. Phil, will she find the courage and motivation to get healthy? And, is it possible to reach your weight loss goal and still be miserable? See one woman's shocking reality. Through the stories of these three women, losing weight becomes an emotional as well as a physical journey. Share your weight loss stories and challenges here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 22, 2006, 6:22 pm CDT

One step at a time

Quote From: searching4me

After going from 266lbs. to 203 lbs. and now back up to 233lbs.  I am very apprehensive about what will happen to me and my current flab if I ever really loose  the approximately 98 lbs. to go to meet my final goal.  I feel like that was a major flaw in the show.  Even if Dr. Phil had to say there's nothing you can do about it when you are losing weight or it's the price you pay for getting so large.  What's up Dr. Phil?  You are usually more complete that this.

I understand your frustration, but I believe Dr. Phil was helping each guest with the step they needed to take right then and there.  The 25 year old needs to make the decision to start to lose the weight now, not worry now about what might happen to her down the road.  Other wise she would never take that first step.  She can and probably will be told to do some appropriate fitness training to tone the skin as she is losing the weight.  It most likely wont eliminate it, but it will be a tremendous step in keeping the excess skin in check.

As for the woman who already has lost the weight, she's already past the point of keeping up with the skin with fitness training.  Having the excess skin surgically removed might be only the next thing for her to do.  I mean, she's probably done all (which was no small feat) she can do up to this point .  I found her to be very inspiring.  I may not be obese, but I will always have that "Mom's Pouchy Belly" and , well we wont even go to the boobs.  Look at how far she has come, Bravo!!! 

I need to add two more cents.  I was so moved by Dr. Phil's profound statement to the 25 year old.  Losing the weight isn't going to make you a better person any more than it will make you a worse person.  You are who you are.  I'm sorry if it wasn't said exactly like that.  Losing the weight will make it easier for your true self to come out though.

August 22, 2006, 7:13 pm CDT

Weight loss

I  was 312lbs and got down to 164lbs. I stopped my weight loss because I couldn't stand the way my body was looking ( the same as the girl who had saggy skin). I want to loose more and I am working on it again, but I already know what I will look like and it breaks my heart. I have no full length mirrors in my home and the other day while shopping in walmart for new work out clothes I sat down and cried after getting a look in the mirror. I hate my body and I know weight loss is good, but like the girl said "it's like a cruel joke" to go from really fat to really saggy! It's not just in how you look but also how you feel, I can't run from all the loose skin slamming all around me. It hurts, so I walk and work out in my pool. I wish there were easy answers to this dilemma but there aren't. I guess I will have to live like this until I can afford surgery and get the trade off. BIG SCARS! I had gained back some weight to see if I could fill in some of that skin and found I was even more unhappy at feeling that fat again! So now I am back on task at loosing weight again but the cost is very high emotionally. I have 4 children and a boyfriend who loves me and I am grateful for that I just wish I didn't feel like an embarrassment to them even though they say i am not. I want to marry my bot friend but I want to be looking better on my wedding day . He feels like that husband of the girl who lost so much weight and sags. He loves me just the way I am. and wants me to be happy with myself .but it's really hard for me. I am blessed but wish I had never gotten this way. I wish Dr. Phil would do more shows on this because there are many people he could save from this pain, at least I hope so.

August 22, 2006, 7:42 pm CDT

08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Quote From: raggedychic

I  was 312lbs and got down to 164lbs. I stopped my weight loss because I couldn't stand the way my body was looking ( the same as the girl who had saggy skin). I want to loose more and I am working on it again, but I already know what I will look like and it breaks my heart. I have no full length mirrors in my home and the other day while shopping in walmart for new work out clothes I sat down and cried after getting a look in the mirror. I hate my body and I know weight loss is good, but like the girl said "it's like a cruel joke" to go from really fat to really saggy! It's not just in how you look but also how you feel, I can't run from all the loose skin slamming all around me. It hurts, so I walk and work out in my pool. I wish there were easy answers to this dilemma but there aren't. I guess I will have to live like this until I can afford surgery and get the trade off. BIG SCARS! I had gained back some weight to see if I could fill in some of that skin and found I was even more unhappy at feeling that fat again! So now I am back on task at loosing weight again but the cost is very high emotionally. I have 4 children and a boyfriend who loves me and I am grateful for that I just wish I didn't feel like an embarrassment to them even though they say i am not. I want to marry my bot friend but I want to be looking better on my wedding day . He feels like that husband of the girl who lost so much weight and sags. He loves me just the way I am. and wants me to be happy with myself .but it's really hard for me. I am blessed but wish I had never gotten this way. I wish Dr. Phil would do more shows on this because there are many people he could save from this pain, at least I hope so.
I talked to a Dr once about this loose skin thing. He said that sometimes just waiting helps. It would cure everything but it can take up to 18 month for your skin to get as tight as it will...

You gotta do what Dr Phil says, and seperate your body image and your self image.

August 22, 2006, 8:54 pm CDT

inspired

I tvo all of the shows and watched this one more than once and just felt like enough is enough and well i can do it and I plan to go out tommorrow and get that book self matters. I am 25 and have been over weight since I gave birth to my first child 6 years ago and then had my second just a short 12 and a half months later and lost a good amount and then it just came on and on and on and  now I am bigger than i have ever  been at about 260 lbs.   wow i can't believe i'm going to put that on here but here it is.  and now i just have to stop making excuses about why  i'm fat  and get overr my self and just do it       i am tooooo young to be sitting on the side lines of life while my husband and children have a good time that show has reeaallyy inspired me and i hope i am strong enough to stick it out   no  i can do it

August 22, 2006, 8:58 pm CDT

Loose skin may really be fat

Most of the loose skin people experience after dramatic weight loss is fat under their skin.  Skin is incredibly thin--when you lose weight, the percentage of body fat to lean muscle is all skewed up.  Build lean muscle and lose the remaining fat and you lose most, if not all, of the loose skin.  We tend to stop "dieting" when we reach a number on the scale, but the truth is, you have to aim for a percentage of body fat vs. a weight.  Go to this site www.bodyfatguide.com/looseskin.htm .  Go to this website and the logic makes sense: 

August 22, 2006, 9:01 pm CDT

Dr. Phil needs to get real!

Dr .Phil needs to get real! Any other guys feel that way. On several of Dr. Phil shows he says that men are attracted to women visually. On this show he had several men who were no longer attracted to their wives. I totally agree that the husbands went about trying to fix the problem in the wrong way. But when you are all of a sudden no longer attracted to your wife, it is up to the guy to try to figure out why. If the only thing that he can see is a weight difference then that is what he is going to try and fix. Dr. Phil also seemed to be saying that all the men needed to do is change the way they were thinking, and it would fix the problem, and all the ladies in the audience clapped. I don't think so! A man does not think about what it is that he finds sexually attractive in a woman, he just knows that he is sexually attracted to her. Sometime later he will, or will not fall in love with her personality. For guys, love and sexual attraction are two different things. Love of her personality is what keeps you together through thick and then, the good times and the bad times. sexual attraction is what controls your penis, so you can have sex. That's my viewpoint anyway.

Take care,
Lostcowboy

August 22, 2006, 10:15 pm CDT

Quote From: lostcowboy

Dr .Phil needs to get real! Any other guys feel that way. On several of Dr. Phil shows he says that men are attracted to women visually. On this show he had several men who were no longer attracted to their wives. I totally agree that the husbands went about trying to fix the problem in the wrong way. But when you are all of a sudden no longer attracted to your wife, it is up to the guy to try to figure out why. If the only thing that he can see is a weight difference then that is what he is going to try and fix. Dr. Phil also seemed to be saying that all the men needed to do is change the way they were thinking, and it would fix the problem, and all the ladies in the audience clapped. I don't think so! A man does not think about what it is that he finds sexually attractive in a woman, he just knows that he is sexually attracted to her. Sometime later he will, or will not fall in love with her personality. For guys, love and sexual attraction are two different things. Love of her personality is what keeps you together through thick and then, the good times and the bad times. sexual attraction is what controls your penis, so you can have sex. That's my viewpoint anyway.

Take care,
Lostcowboy
I'm not a man, but I definitely agree with you. It's not horrible to say that you're not attracted to overweight people. It's called being honest. I could never honestly say that I would be attracted to a 200 lb blob of a guy (not 200lbs of muscle, but 200lbs of fat). And if the man I married were to stop taking care of himself and grow obese, I would certainly have a problem with it. I don't have a penis, but I can certainly see how guys would have a very hard time having sex with a woman they find visually very unattractive. I know that if women worked the same way, there are a heck of a lot of guys that I know I physically wouldn't be able to have sex with in a million years.

For example... would you have a problem if you partner suddenly decided to stop brushing their teeth & let their teeth rot & their breath start reeking? Would you have a problem if they decided that they would no longer shower or bathe? Why do people start jumping on the bandwagon of political correctness when it's a matter of a person letting themselves get extremely fat? It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

August 22, 2006, 11:31 pm CDT

Quote From: lostcowboy

Take care,
Lostcowboy
The women, or some of them, on this show and his other shows like this are already married. They are in a long term relationship.

I get sick of hearing men get high and mighty about being shallow. What does a man do when his wife naturally ages? She will at one point be less sexually attractive, HOPEFULLY be that point sex will be about expressing a deep love of your spouse who has done a lot for you and live a life with you, not about getting off.

The men DID need to change the way they were thinking, just like the women do too. People's bodies change, there is weight gain, weight loss, pregnancy, aging, accidents, disease, change in taste...a relationship must handle those things and sex is PART of a relationship.

So if you can only have sex with attractive women one day you are going to be very lonely. And if all that makes you horny about your wife is her body, you WILL be disappointed one day.

August 23, 2006, 6:57 am CDT

Quote From: newsam1286

If that young woman had such a tremendous problem with lack of elasticity of her skin what on earth would happen to an older woman like myself.   I need to lose 30 pounds but don't want to end up with her problems.  Right now I seem to fit my self okay.

thanks

There is a HUGE difference in losing 30 pounds verses losing over 160 pounds.  Think of a body like a water balloon.  You can fill it with water until it's the size of a basketball.  Leave it like that for a week then let the water out.  Of course, the balloon is going to show the affects of being stretched with all that water.  Now, if you fill that balloon to the size of an orange and then deflate - you are not going to see the same results. 

I am not a doctor and these aren't scientific results, but I believe you can drop your 30 pounds without worry.  My Mom's 71- despite having a knee replacment and still needing her other knee done (so she cannot exercise)  she's lost over 40 pounds by just cutting out the junk food and eating healthy meals.  It took her about 8 months.  She looks more than 10 years younger and doesn't have skin sag.  (She also was never a smoker and has always had great skin)

August 23, 2006, 7:08 am CDT

this is nicole from the show

Quote From: shirleek

It's been over 8 months since this show aired.  How is Nicole doing?  Will there be an update?
im doing very good with my weight loss

First | Prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last