Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Number of Replies: 355
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:05:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 01/04/06) Have you ever stepped on the scale and thought, "That number can't be right"? You don’t have to wait until the new year to resolve to lose weight or eat healthy. Kristine stopped making excuses for her weight and lost over 100 pounds, thanks to Dr. Phil's words of wisdom. See what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Nicole is only 25 but morbidly obese. After a wake-up call from her family, friends, and Dr. Phil, will she find the courage and motivation to get healthy? And, is it possible to reach your weight loss goal and still be miserable? See one woman's shocking reality. Through the stories of these three women, losing weight becomes an emotional as well as a physical journey. Share your weight loss stories and challenges here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2006, 6:00 am CDT

Judging others

I just sent in a message and THEN looked back at other messages people had sent.  If you don't have weight problems, haven't experienced it weight problems and don't understand it, then keep your judgments to yourself!  Can't you understand that if this weight gain was totally under our control we obviously wouldn't let it happen??  Who wants to be 100, 200 lbs or more overweight?  Do you know how hard it is to live when you're overweight?  You can't go where you want to go.  You can't bend over to shave your legs. You can't stay as clean as you would like to. You can't do what you want to do.  Your body hurts, especially your feet.  Most overweight people say they try SO hard to lose weight and can't do it.  Yes, I've finally lost 100 lbs, but I know exactly what they mean.  I tried many, many times, too, and couldn't lose weight.  This time, for some reason, I was able to do it, but do you know how terrified I am that I'm going to gain it back?  I'm already thinking if I gain this weight back again, I wouldn't be able to live with it.  I would be so sick of it and disgusted with myself for failing again and would be so embarrassed. I would feel like people would be talking behind my back, "She's gaining weight again.  She's so pathetic."  What ever happened to kindness and empathy?  Why do overweight people experience so much judgment, ridicule, prejudice and disgust from others who have never had problems with their weight? 

August 25, 2006, 8:46 am CDT

whoever wrote people are shallow

Quote From: purplepenny

This is why people need to lose weight for health and  not for looks. People can make that decision NOT to lose weight, but studies show that even a small ammout of fat can have health risks...maybe some people are so shallow they'd rather die soon or suffer from a life of illness then to deal some loose skin.
I hope you aren't talking about the people who have the loose skin being shallow..LOL  If so you are pretty shallow to think that way.  Being overweight, then losing weight and having o deal with "the public" and their oppinions, redicule etc about loose skin is something unless you live with it you can't possibly understand.  You live in a sugarplum world and obviously have no compassion for other human beings less fortunate than yourself.  Being overweight is not a decision we make when we are born, it is something we have to deal with, "a cross to bear" so to speak.  I pray you never have to find out what it is like to have this problem in your life or anyone close to you.  

August 25, 2006, 8:51 am CDT

Obesity is a very visable problem

Quote From: brenll

I just sent in a message and THEN looked back at other messages people had sent.  If you don't have weight problems, haven't experienced it weight problems and don't understand it, then keep your judgments to yourself!  Can't you understand that if this weight gain was totally under our control we obviously wouldn't let it happen??  Who wants to be 100, 200 lbs or more overweight?  Do you know how hard it is to live when you're overweight?  You can't go where you want to go.  You can't bend over to shave your legs. You can't stay as clean as you would like to. You can't do what you want to do.  Your body hurts, especially your feet.  Most overweight people say they try SO hard to lose weight and can't do it.  Yes, I've finally lost 100 lbs, but I know exactly what they mean.  I tried many, many times, too, and couldn't lose weight.  This time, for some reason, I was able to do it, but do you know how terrified I am that I'm going to gain it back?  I'm already thinking if I gain this weight back again, I wouldn't be able to live with it.  I would be so sick of it and disgusted with myself for failing again and would be so embarrassed. I would feel like people would be talking behind my back, "She's gaining weight again.  She's so pathetic."  What ever happened to kindness and empathy?  Why do overweight people experience so much judgment, ridicule, prejudice and disgust from others who have never had problems with their weight? 

Mental illness is invisible.  Being overweight is right out there for all to see.  Over the last year, I have lost 50 pounds...1/3 of my old body weight.  Although my weight was not debilitating, it really affected my overall health.  I have been through years of counseling for Bipolar Disorder, childhood abuse, and other issues.  Because I had been through the counseling, my self esteem remained intact when I was obese, but it was frustrating for the weight to continue to go up.  The turning point for me was a change in medications for the Bipolar Disorder.  I was on one medication that caused me to gain 50 pounds in 9 months. Because most of the weight gain was in my belly, people thought I was pregnant.  I changed to another medication that caused more weight gain...how depressing.  I finally am on a good combo that does not cause weight gain.  I am now eating less because the meds don't make me hungry.  There are a lot of health issues that can get in the way of losing weight.  There are a lot of mental health issues that can be a road block too.  Counseling saved my life...and psych meds. Obesity is no longer on my diagnosis list in my medical chart. 

I would suggest counseling for anybody wanting to lose weight.  Get to the bottom of the emotional issues that may be making you want to eat so much.  Less food and more activity.  It sounds so simple.  Let anybody who doesn't understand walk in the shoes of an obese person for awhile.  It would be a real eye-opener. 

Now, my husband is ready to lose his extra weight...about 40 or 50 pounds.  At his request, I stopped buying his ice cream.  He was upset at first that I wouldn't buy it.  Then I reminded him that it was HIS request.  He's OK with it now.  He puts less food on his plate and drinks more water.  Many times, hunger is actually caused by thirst...try drinking some water the next time you are hungry.  My husband has lost 12 pounds so far.  Physical activity is hard to get motivated about and stick with...it's so easy to put it off...he's so tired all the time.

August 25, 2006, 9:16 am CDT

BMUSTNILDH

Quote From: blprteys

I just received my copy of Ultimate weight loss challenge and food guide in the mail.  I hope to have a success story of my own soon.

I personally am looking for a copy of Self Matters first.  I read the messages above yours and wanted to strangle more than one respondent.  Yes, we are all allowed our own opinions but maybe we shouldn't all share them.  Why do people feel they have the right to be so critical of people they don't even know.  Blessed be...may you have the success you seek.  Just a tip from an organization I wish I had the money to join (LA Weightloss).   When speaking to a counselor there I was told "Two pounds per week is all you should loose, more than that may not be healthy".  I've decided I need to get to know me better before I dive in that's why I'm starting with Self Matters.  Good luck to both of us and may there be success in our futures.

Just in case you are wondering about my choice of message title:  B eam  MUS cottie  

T here's  N o  I ntelligent  L ife  D own  H ere

August 25, 2006, 10:07 pm CDT

08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

I wrote into Dr Phil to get advice.  Not surgery.  I know there are a lot of people out there worse off than I,  I wanted him to help me accept the way I looked over 300 lbs and he way i looked now.  I asked him " If surgery is NOT ever an answer for a person how do you begin to accept what you have.  He chose to give me surgery.  I still didn't have any answers.  I chose to lose weight for me, before I developed any health issues.  Truelly we do chose to lose to LOOK and Feel better...

Just wanted to keep you posted on whats up?  I just came home from L.A. June 28th, having completed my 2nd stages of surgeries.  They removed over 20lbs of excess skin,  WOW even I have a hard time fathoming that number. I didn't think I was that messed up. LOL:)  Everyone with the show and the Drs were all incredibly wonderfull and  with me every step of the way.  Its an incredibly hard process but healing well.  But my weight loss I feel was an even harder process, I battled it for yrs and WON now my healing is just my pain to a better life emotionally for me.  I know surgery is not the answer for everyone, but it IS the answer for me.  My actual LIFE wasn't in danger to have surgery but my emotional life WAS...It was impossible for me to live and be happy when i tried soooooooo hard to lose all this weight and have it be the furthest thing from what I wanted at goal.  When I started to lose I pictured myself at goal as skinny happy and living life shopping anywhere i want and wearing for the first time in my life a Tshirt a skirt maybe shorts, but when i got there I was just GROSS,  I still couldn't cross my legs without incredible pinching pain, when walking my skin still rubbed together and rippled about as I walked, working out was humiliating,  i was the only one in the class who was clapping without using my hands.    

I too wanted concrete advise from Dr Phil for all of us on what do we do when surgery is not an option due to finances?  Im hoping Ill get answers when i get  a chance to see him.  If surgery is something one would never do regardless, and you feel comfortable with all that your left with skin and all.  I tip my hat off to you, you would be one amazing person one I would be proud of and would want to know how you did it.  But I know deep down in all of us if someone offered to you what i was offered you would not say NO thank you?Possibly?  Im hoping the world changes towards all of us with weight issues and realizes that we all want to be better and healthier,  once we do that Insurance needs to step up and realize that this is a medical issue Its not a WANT but a NEED.  

August 27, 2006, 11:53 pm CDT

Quote From: wintterose

I hope you aren't talking about the people who have the loose skin being shallow..LOL  If so you are pretty shallow to think that way.  Being overweight, then losing weight and having o deal with "the public" and their oppinions, redicule etc about loose skin is something unless you live with it you can't possibly understand.  You live in a sugarplum world and obviously have no compassion for other human beings less fortunate than yourself.  Being overweight is not a decision we make when we are born, it is something we have to deal with, "a cross to bear" so to speak.  I pray you never have to find out what it is like to have this problem in your life or anyone close to you.  
I am actually very over weight. But I am smart enough and centered enough to know very well that I do not want to be this way anymore. I value my health more than my looks. So loose skin or not, I am going to get to a healthy weight.

August 28, 2006, 8:22 am CDT

positive attitude

I am actually very over weight. But I am smart enough and centered enough to know very well that I do not want to be this way anymore. I value my health more than my looks. So loose skin or not, I am going to get to a healthy weight.

I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss.  Remember  that it is a long process...one to two pounds a week.  Your attitude is in the right place. 

For all of you trying to lose weight, don't lose sight of yourself...your inner-self, I mean.  You are a beautiful person and deserve the best.

Kirstie Alley's story is so inspirational.  At her heaviest, she was eating 6500 calories a day.  She admitted to too much "tasting" while cooking, and just eating too much.  She said she lost the weight herself...no personal trainer or personal chef.  Her daughters were very supportive.  Her story is in a recent magazine...People Magazine, I think.

It's about the food and the exercise...get some counseling to help you get motivated and boost your self esteem.   If you find it helpful to have some support, try one of the many weight loss clubs...Weight Watchers, Jenny, LA Weight loss.

Have a complete check up...there may be a medical condition or medication you are on that makes you less able to lose weight.  I was on medications that caused severe weight gain. Just getting off of the meds made me less hungry and more active.  I lost 50 pounds over the last year and still have 20 to go.

God Bless all of you...don't give up

August 29, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

I hope it happens for you

I may have misunderstood your comment and I apologize if I did.  But you absolutely should lose weight if "YOU" want to no matter about skin.  Yes other people who judge us about the excess skin are shallow.  I did have gastric bypass and check it out it has been wonderful for me.  I was just at the beach for the weekend, ate fruit, regular meals with protein, ceral for breakfast and even a small ice cream cone and a small strawberry short cake cup I mean small.  I walked the beach two miles up and back for 4 miles Sat and Sunday and lost weight.  Exercise is so important.  My skin is getting better but still hope to someday get the surgery to take care of that.  But I want to wish you the best.  If I can ever be of help please let me know.  I think Dr Phil has our info weight is a wonderful thing to lose but keep your inner self.  Have a good day and "God Bless"   

August 29, 2006, 8:31 am CDT

Loose Skin

This is why people need to lose weight for health and  not for looks. People can make that decision NOT to lose weight, but studies show that even a small ammout of fat can have health risks...maybe some people are so shallow they'd rather die soon or suffer from a life of illness then to deal some loose skin.
I don't think people who loose weight and have a hard time dealing with loose skin are shallow at all.  It is very unhealthy when you have loose skin.  The apron stomach can get sores underneath and smells from a heat rash or what ever it is.  I have loose skin but not nearly as much as the one lady  they showed.  The legs do get better with alot of excercise and the arms  and evwn the stomach muscles get tight with excecsize but it takes alot of excercize.  It takes determination.  But it also takes alot of guts to cope with all the insentitive people out there to fight the battle for your health.  Maybe being over weight was caused by not having enough courage to figh emotional battles and turning to food for love etc.  I wouldn't consider that shallow just troubled.  Have a great day.  Maybe we should have a forum with people who have actually experienced the weight and weight loss and skin to come up with help for our fellow weight fighters..LOL

August 29, 2006, 1:12 pm CDT

Quote From: wintterose

I don't think people who loose weight and have a hard time dealing with loose skin are shallow at all.  It is very unhealthy when you have loose skin.  The apron stomach can get sores underneath and smells from a heat rash or what ever it is.  I have loose skin but not nearly as much as the one lady  they showed.  The legs do get better with alot of excercise and the arms  and evwn the stomach muscles get tight with excecsize but it takes alot of excercize.  It takes determination.  But it also takes alot of guts to cope with all the insentitive people out there to fight the battle for your health.  Maybe being over weight was caused by not having enough courage to figh emotional battles and turning to food for love etc.  I wouldn't consider that shallow just troubled.  Have a great day.  Maybe we should have a forum with people who have actually experienced the weight and weight loss and skin to come up with help for our fellow weight fighters..LOL
That is not what I said. I said people who would rather stay fat rather than deal with loose skin are shallow. Loose skin is not dangerous or deadly...it's ugly yes, but not deadly. Fat is deadly, even a little bit can have effects on a person's healthy.

I totally agree that obesity can be caused by emotional problems. It's just as much possible that it's an eating disorder as anorexia. People cope with emotions different ways. I eat. I suffered a huge betrayal by my parents for years and I didn't realize it..I ate and still do eat out of frustration..I am numb when I eat.

I just don't like this idea that losing weight becomes sour grapes because of loose skin. When people go through addictions and emotional problems there will always be scars...the loose skin is a scar...or, simply a price to pay for those who didn't take care of themselves.

There are a lot of board here that are about weight loss and such. Some of them seem to be very wonderful communities. I haven't joined any myself, but I know that there are a few that are very successful and busy.

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last