Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Number of Replies: 355
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:05:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 01/04/06) Have you ever stepped on the scale and thought, "That number can't be right"? You don’t have to wait until the new year to resolve to lose weight or eat healthy. Kristine stopped making excuses for her weight and lost over 100 pounds, thanks to Dr. Phil's words of wisdom. See what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Nicole is only 25 but morbidly obese. After a wake-up call from her family, friends, and Dr. Phil, will she find the courage and motivation to get healthy? And, is it possible to reach your weight loss goal and still be miserable? See one woman's shocking reality. Through the stories of these three women, losing weight becomes an emotional as well as a physical journey. Share your weight loss stories and challenges here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2006, 2:18 pm CST

01/04 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Quote From: lisayas

How can Dr. Phil give that woman a plastic surgeon.  I have lost 139lbs since the birth of my 2 year old.  I too had the slapping together skin when I excersized but that was not a reason for me to give up, I just wore tighter workout pants to hold myself together.  She deserves applause for her weight loss achievement, however, without excersize your body will not be tone.  I too, have extra skin, but slowly and surely it is toning up.  Will I ever wear a bikini again?  Probably not, only because I would not be comfortable, however, I manage to fit in an hour of excersize a day for my own satisfaction.  Plastic surgery is not the answer.  If someone like myself, who wants results immediately can work at it as hard as I do, then someone who has a fitness oriented husband should be able to do it a lot easier.  You would surely have his support!!  I am very upset Dr. Phil!! 

Lisa 

How can Dr. Phil give that woman a plastic surgeon.  I have lost 139lbs since the birth of my 2 year old.  I too had the slapping together skin when I excersized but that was not a reason for me to give up, I just wore tighter workout pants to hold myself together.  She deserves applause for her weight loss achievement, however, without excersize your body will not be tone.  I too, have extra skin, but slowly and surely it is toning up.  Will I ever wear a bikini again?  Probably not, only because I would not be comfortable, however, I manage to fit in an hour of excersize a day for my own satisfaction.  Plastic surgery is not the answer.  If someone like myself, who wants results immediately can work at it as hard as I do, then someone who has a fitness oriented husband should be able to do it a lot easier.  You would surely have his support!!  I am very upset Dr. Phil!!  

Lisa  

Lisa,   I have lost 83 pounds in sixteen months with the help of Lapband surgery. I workout in the gym almost every single day. I wear tighter clothing, a waist belt, knee braces and I sweat like a PIG everyday. I lift weights and tone everyday and I have 35 more pounds to lose. I look in the mirror everyday at the skin that sags and sags and sags. My goal isn't to wear a bikini....never has been. But I've worked as hard as anyone to lose my excess weight and gain control over what was a very serious, life threatening eating disorder. I feel just as Dr. Phil's guest does. I wouldn't trade being physically fit, thinner and in better health for anything, however the excess skin has caused me to have shyness regarding how I now look when I'm around my spouse. And I most likely will never be able to wear shorts again. It's almost as bad as how I felt being obese. I completely relate to what the guest was saying. I think it's sad that you find fault in this woman being given corrective surgery to fix her skin issues. You losing 139 pounds should know that the excess skin can dampen the pride we feel as weight loss people. I think it's unfortunate that you have so little understanding and compassion for someone who's been through what you and I both have been through. And you KNOW that if Dr. Phil called you up and offered you corrective plastic surgery....you'de drop everything and head for the airport. LUVLAPBAND

January 4, 2006, 2:18 pm CST

Diet downsides--yeah!

I was really grateful to see the "other side" of weight loss. I lost about 100 lbs, and have kept it off for almost a year now. However, I'm still dealing with the "loose skin" thing (my turkey neck is the worst!), plus I had to have surgery to remove my gallbladder after it quit working (a very common problem, I understand), and my digestive system's been screwed up ever since. I just yelled "YEAH" at the woman who said she'd gain it all back again...I never would have started this if I knew how lousy I'd feel. I keep thinking of the old Billy Crystal "Fernando's Hideaway" line on Saturday Night Live..."It's better to LOOK marvelous than to FEEL marvelous"...and that's the way this society is. I don't want to tell anyone not to lose weight, but like Dr. Phil said...everything has a downside, and I'm living it.

January 4, 2006, 2:22 pm CST

Reply to letter to Nicole from luvlaband

Quote From: luvlapband

Dear Nicole, 

Sixteen months ago, I was where you are right now. I had battled my weight all of my life. I was always the fat kid, never chosen to be on teams and I've also had those horrible nights out with friends where they we're asked to dance and I was left sitting alone. I could never shop in regular stores and the clothes that did fit me had big huge ugly flowers and prints on them.  

Food was my best friend, food comforted me, food never let me down, food fixed all of my woes. Food understood me and never questioned me.  

I will say that there are people who are overweight and can stand to lose some weight, BUT.....there are people in this world who are addicted to food. And being one of them I speak form personal experience when I say that just changing lifestyle, agreeing to exercise and seeing a therapist doesn't work for the long haul.   

Nicole, you seriously need to re-evaluate your life. YOU and YOU alone need to decide if the food is worth your life. If it is, then fine.....continue eating like you do now and live your life until you die. Unfortunately it may well be that that time comes incrediably soon for you.  

If you truly are tired of this addiction, then find yourself a therapist to help you get to the bottom of when, why and how food became such an important part of your life....and then, you truly do need to consider having weight-loss surgery to further arm you with assistance in getting your addiction under control.  For food addicts, a book, or a program or some "life" changes simply will NOT do it. Most food addicts need medical intervention.  

Currently there are two procedures out that could help you. Gastic Bypass OR Gastric Lap-Band. Neither are without risks but none the less they are the safest weight loss surgeries available to date.  

Sixteen months ago I underwent Gastric Lap-Band surgery. The surgery was the absolute easiest part of it. Since having my surgery,  I have had therapy, and I'm learning daily to view food in a different way. I'm learning to redirect my attention when I'm hurt, stressed, sad, upset, lonely. Having the Lap-Band gives me that extra edge that I need by keeping me from overeating, binging, stuffing myself with food, while I learn to think differently about food.  

I've lost 83 pounds in sixteen months and I've gained muscle weight. I workout 5 to 7 days a week and I eat only when I'm hungry. I can go to the gym and do a powerful workout to match any fit person. I'm 40 years old. I'm almost able to pass the running part of a military fitness test for a person of my age. Sixteen months ago I couldn't walk a half flight of stairs without thinking I'de drop dead of heart failure before reaching the top. I still have 35 pounds to lose and for the first time in my life......I have NO DOUBT that I can and will do it. My lapband will help me not only to do it, but to maintain my weight loss once I reach goal. This surgery absolutely saved my life and gave me FREEDOM that I've craved for a very long time.  

I strongly urge you to take control of your life, investigate surgery, get a therapist and do this for yourself. It isn't easy.....despite what people think. Having weight loss surgery is NOT the easy way out. In fact it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. People who have never battled an addiction have NO IDEA what they are talking about. Food Addiction is a very real condition and addressing it soley with a "how to" book, a trainer, and a little therapy simply will NOT help the person addicted to food.  

Don't give up....take a stand for yourself, research the surgeries and do what you must do to save your life. Your family and friends I'm sure mean well.....however they are NOT in a position to help you with this. The only one who can is YOU, a surgeon and a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  

Obese people who are ADDICTED to food are treated so terribly by most everyone in this country. And just as a book and a few changes in lifestyle will not help one who is battling anorexia or bulemia.....a book and a promise to stay on track will not help a person addicted to eating massive amounts of food. The fits, the crying, the getting angry when your not given food...is part of the addiction.  And while "changing your lifestyle" is required, with a person addicted to food changing of lifestyle isn't enough. Medical, surgical intervention is NEEDED when dealing with a patient who needs to lose a massive amount of weight 

I wish you all the best.... 

LUVLAPBAND 

Yeah i feel the same way. I have been batteling my weight for about a year or so now. I started college and all the late night classes, then late night eating and not excercising at all at the time caused me to gain 50 lbs. I have now decided after watching the show today to take control of my weight and do it for me and me only! I just bought the weight solutions book and cookbook so hopefuly that will help. I am little scared that i will have excess skin, but i guess i'll jump that hurdle when it comes.. Thanks for all the information about Gastric Lap-Band surgery!!! 

-Rachael- 

January 4, 2006, 2:22 pm CST

Quote From: allison75

i need some of the same help that the larger women from todays show need. i weigh 320 give or take and it feels like such a huge battle to win for me to get to my "ideal" weight i have to lose almost 200 lbs and i always feel so defeated just thinking about it. 2 weeks ago i started watching more closely what i eat drinking water instead of pop, i have cut going to fast food place completly over the last 2 weeks and when i step on the scale today i had gained 4 lbs. now i know that it won't happen over night i don't expect quick results but to have gained weight when i am trying was so deflating. all i really want is to lose a few pounds get the ball rolling.  

it is so bad now that outside of taking my children to their activities i try and stay at home. i want my life back. how do i get started.  

thank you for listening  

allison  

Lowering your calories is only the first step.  Have you started working out yet?  You need to give your body a reason to change its composition and without exercise your body will simply think its a famine time and lower your metabolism to keep from starving to death.  Exercise is a catalyst for change, telling your body that it needs to lower the fat weight and increase muscle mass in order to continue to function in a normal manner.  It WILL change so that it isn't under as much stress while performing that activity.

January 4, 2006, 2:24 pm CST

Quote From: shawn_m

I have to disagree with you.  Medical and surgerical intervention is never 'needed' and I am living proof of it.  Unless the person has an actual thyroid problem then they can mentally take themselves under control and change.

I have to disagree with you.  Medical and surgerical intervention is never 'needed' and I am living proof of it.  Unless the person has an actual thyroid problem then they can mentally take themselves under control and change.

You can disagree with me all you wish. But I have the facts on my side. Studies show clearly that morbidly obese patients benefit from surgical intervention. Studies show that dieting and just changing lifestyle do not work for one who is ADDICTED to food. And studies are now comparing addictions to food, as being similar to alcohol, drug addictions. While there are those who CAN successfully change their lives as you did......MOST people cannot. Your way of thinking would also suggest that alcoholics just need to take themselves under control and change as should drug addicts and those dealing with anorexia, bulemia. This is a brain chemistry issue and unfortunately not everyone is blessed with the strong determination "gene" as you obviously have been.  

All the best 

LUVLAPBAND 

January 4, 2006, 2:24 pm CST

Quote From: luvlapband

Lisa  

Lisa,   I have lost 83 pounds in sixteen months with the help of Lapband surgery. I workout in the gym almost every single day. I wear tighter clothing, a waist belt, knee braces and I sweat like a PIG everyday. I lift weights and tone everyday and I have 35 more pounds to lose. I look in the mirror everyday at the skin that sags and sags and sags. My goal isn't to wear a bikini....never has been. But I've worked as hard as anyone to lose my excess weight and gain control over what was a very serious, life threatening eating disorder. I feel just as Dr. Phil's guest does. I wouldn't trade being physically fit, thinner and in better health for anything, however the excess skin has caused me to have shyness regarding how I now look when I'm around my spouse. And I most likely will never be able to wear shorts again. It's almost as bad as how I felt being obese. I completely relate to what the guest was saying. I think it's sad that you find fault in this woman being given corrective surgery to fix her skin issues. You losing 139 pounds should know that the excess skin can dampen the pride we feel as weight loss people. I think it's unfortunate that you have so little understanding and compassion for someone who's been through what you and I both have been through. And you KNOW that if Dr. Phil called you up and offered you corrective plastic surgery....you'de drop everything and head for the airport. LUVLAPBAND
I know I would be there in a minute!  I hate my body and live with it everyday. 

January 4, 2006, 2:31 pm CST

With friends like that.......

I think those friends are horrible... I wouldn't wan't friends like that.. Or an aunt who is embarrassed of me... Its sad that her mom can point a finger when she took an easy way out so to speak with that gastric bypass surgery.... I feel like they are treating this girl horrilby.. She obviously has a problem.. And him bringing all the food out that shes ate during the week, thats just awful..I can only imagine how she feels..

January 4, 2006, 2:36 pm CST

oh, that is scary

I've been working since before Christmas on my own weightloss so it's not a New Years Resolution. I have 150 to lose and have read the book, got the gym membership and my husband and I have been working on getting our weight to drop. He's type 2 diabetic and is working to maybe get off the meds if he loses the weight. I'm working on losing because my endocrinologist (I have thyroid problems) and my rheumatologist (I also have fibromyalgia) have told me that I need to or I will keep getting fatter and deteriorating.

But I see the girl who lost 150 pounds and I really get scared. I don't want to have the hanging skin like that and I won't be able to afford the surgery to correct it. I'm still working on getting my bachelors degree, my life-long dream, and that's going to be more important to me than the skin problem, I think.

But the thought of the skin doing that is really, really scary.

January 4, 2006, 2:42 pm CST

BeckyinSC

Quote From: beckyinsc

Hey Everyone... 

I have 111 pounds to loose.  I have watched tv shows where individuals have lost a lot of weight and had tons of excess skin from the weight loss.  I watched Oprah today and know that there was a big difference in the amount of weight she lost verses what I need to loose, plus I am 25.  However, I am scared about looking like that.  Several of my friends have had gastric bypass surgery and have lost an incredible amount of weight in a very short amount of time and have the same skin issue.  I know it sounds bad, but I think that it looks horrible.  Please someone who lost weight the ole' fashioned way....(diet and exercise and not overnight) that lost a lot of weight doesn't have this problem.  Thanks!!!! 

BeckyinSC 

In 2002 I found a 12 step program for food addicts. In 10 months I lost 98lbs and at the age of 40 I did in have the sagging skin. Some of the people in the program did and some did not, I do not know what the difference is, I do know that it is so much better to live in a thinner body and also to have the support of others that know what you are going through. Find a group, keep going and good luck.

January 4, 2006, 2:43 pm CST

For Nicole

I have the same problem you have with food.  Exactly the same.  Listening to your mom and aunt reminded me of growing up.  Your friends are the best.  They can be honest with you and stand by you.   

I am about 13 years older than you and thelast 25 years of my life I have been trying to deal with the way I view myself.  Especially being almost obssessed with my body and thinking I was never good enough.   

I weigh about 182 pounds and am 5'4.  I have a huge appetite and seem to like all foods.   I was raised to eat everything on my plate and not waste.  My dad, who I dearly love, always teased me (along with my brothers) about my weight.  He also would give me attention when we ate meals.  It was an attention that I really thrived on now that I look back on it.  It was as though he was proud of his daughter because of  how much  she could eat.   

But this isn't about me.  I had to write you ASAP after seeing today's show.  DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!! 

Feel the fear, feel the anger, feel the sweat, etc.  Don't hide the emotion in food.  Bad feelings happen all the time.   But I figured out today by hearing you and listening to Dr. Phil that I am running away from fear.  The fear of truly becoming who I want to be and who I should be.  Stupid huh?  Afraid of doing my best, that is the most cowardice thing I could ever allow myself to do; and that is the reason I try to hide behind food, I try to talk myself into thinking how tough I am, and in reality I am just hurting myself. 

Thank you Nicole for being you and having the courage to show the real you to the world.  That in itself is a feat you should be more than proud of.   

I hope you will be writing the message board, because I would love to listen to your progress.   

Believe in yourself 

faith2be    

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last