Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Number of Replies: 355
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:05:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 01/04/06) Have you ever stepped on the scale and thought, "That number can't be right"? You don’t have to wait until the new year to resolve to lose weight or eat healthy. Kristine stopped making excuses for her weight and lost over 100 pounds, thanks to Dr. Phil's words of wisdom. See what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Nicole is only 25 but morbidly obese. After a wake-up call from her family, friends, and Dr. Phil, will she find the courage and motivation to get healthy? And, is it possible to reach your weight loss goal and still be miserable? See one woman's shocking reality. Through the stories of these three women, losing weight becomes an emotional as well as a physical journey. Share your weight loss stories and challenges here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2006, 8:14 am CST

i can understand nicole

i can understand the "need" to being your worst enemy when trying to get a healthier life style, i have lost over 100 pounds, and yet seem determined to ruin it all, when someone compliments me on my loss, i head right for the kitchen.  why?  don't know.  i look forward to reading any thing that can help me find that "why?

January 4, 2006, 8:32 am CST

Freaked Out

I have been heavy most of my life except maybe a few years in college.  I am 34 and started losing weight last year then I got pregnant and had the most amazing baby in July of 2005.   My pre-pregnancy weight was about 260 and I got up to 299 during my pregnancy which really scared me.  My little girl has inspired me to finally get the weight off.  So far I have lost 30 lbs and am down to 230 and losing a little weight every week.  However after watching todays show, I'm freaked out a bout having all that lose skin.  I can't even imagine having surgery and wonder if I wouldnt look better not losing too much weight.  Already I am inspired by the difference in my body, but I started looking at my arms and wonder am I destined to have the same problem todays guest had.  I always told myself If I lost the weight slow I wouldn't, but now i think ive been lying to myself.  Can anyone lose 100 or more and not have the skin problem?  Help I'm freaking out. 

January 4, 2006, 8:47 am CST

Weight Loss Plateau

Quote From: stryker12

I went from 145lbs to 215lbs in three years.  The Dr. said the depo provera shot was the cause.  He put me on a weight loss program and when I reached 180lbs, I was stuck.  No matter what I did, I stayed at that weight.  I talked to the Dr. and he told me that I needed to jump start the weight loss again.  He told me to go off the diet for a day or two and then start it again.  When I did this, I started loosing weight again.  I hope this helps you.
I also reached a weight loss plateau where I couldn't loss any weight.  I was told that your body has a natural weight that it tends to lean towards even when you are exercising and losing weight.  This might be part of the cause.  I want you to know that I also struggle with the inability to lose any more weight.  I was told that maybe my weight loss goal was no practical.  I am 5 feet 5 inches tall and weight somewhere around 140.  I would like to be 130.  I can't lose any more weight and haven't been able to for about 6 months.  Any advice out there.....???

January 4, 2006, 8:50 am CST

I can relate

Quote From: rjbuckeye

For anyone who was inspired by today's show to finally kick those pounds to the curb... pick up Dr Phil's book today! Don't wait! 

Last year I started work through his seven keys and have so far lost 35 lbs. I have 25 more to go to reach my goal weight. My weight loss has slowed some over the last few months, but the best part is that my lifestyle has changed! I have come to realize how terrible I feel when I am not exercising and eating right, and I actually desire those things in my life! 

I understand that some people fear the loose skin thing, but when you consider the health risks associated with being overweight, I feel that being healthy with loose skin is far more desirable. I am only 24 and my breasts have essentially deflated with this weight loss... but with a good bra, they look just fine! I look MUCH better overall. (My husband definitely prefers the new me ;) 

This message board is also a great place to look for support in weight loss. I have met many other women through here that I have been able to share support and experiences with. 

Good luck to you all! I wish everyone the best of health in 2006! 

Hi, I want to say that I was encouraged by your story.  I am 23 years old and have lost 55 pounds with excess skin that I can't get rid of.  I would take the excess skin over the weight any day.  How do you enjoy the book.  I recently purchased Dr. Phil's book about the 7 keys and am really looking forward to reading it. 

Thank you for your inspirational words! 

January 4, 2006, 8:51 am CST

Your right not to give up.

Quote From: hubbard3

I joined Curves about 10 months ago, and I have lost 131 pounds and 94.5 inches. I love going there. The fact that everyone is there for the same reason, plus we are all women, keeps me going. No one has ever turned their nose up at me, and now I am the encouragement to new members! Now I love being "The BIGGEST LOSER"!!! I went from a size 32W to a Misses 12. I just would like to be able to rid of this excess skin. My insurance will NOT pay for the surgery, which doesn't make sense, it is a health hazzard and an emotional hazzard! But I am not giving up!
All health insurance have a policies in place called due process which allows you to contest there choices.  Follow that through.  You don't in most cases need a lawyer.  Most insurance companies will give in during this process.  You can donate the extra skin to burn victims they really need it more then you. 

January 4, 2006, 9:10 am CST

Do the free day at the gym and try all the equipment

I was on a diet and exercise program when I was inured at work.  I have been on restrictions for almost a year now and started gaining weight again.  The problem is that the inury is to my foot, from my ankle down.  I can not get clearance to do anything other than sedentary activities.  Anyone have any ideas on exercise?

Go to the largest gym (the one with the most equipment) and try all the equipment with the proper foot brace.  You can usually get a free day or a week.  Some even give you a free hour with a personal trainer.  Rowers and recline bikes might work if not at least you can use upper body weights and abs. 

If you find a machine that works for you buy the best you can.  You can usually get Gym quality equipment on CraigsList.com for half or less then the cost of new equipment.  People buy it and never use it and then resell it for dirt cheap.

There is also swimming.  Contact your local high schools and Jr. Colleges and see when they have lap swim.  Most people doing laps are so busy they are not paying any attention to anyone else so don't worry about how you look in a swim suit.  Lands End has a couple of short style swim suits in larger sizes which I fee pretty comfortable in. 

Curves and all those ladies quickie gyms will also work on a program for you.  They are usually free for the first week also.  In a circuit you will probably be able to do at least 2/3s of the circuit and you can then just repeat.  This will keep you heart rate up enough to get good benefits. 

Wheel chair sports are also great fun and you can do that.  Most larger areas have at least one or two groups.  For us with legs that we can stand on they will sometime loan a chair and allow you to play too.  There is bicycle club in Berkeley CA that has hand pedal bikes they will loan out and let you go on group rides.

Horseback riding can also be a good way to get out and use those leg muscles without putting weight on your foot.  Just ride western and have the stirrup on your bad leg lower so you don't bear weight on it.

If your heart is really into getting out and moving your body there are many choices but you’ll have to make a compromise or two and look around a bit.

January 4, 2006, 9:34 am CST

01/04 Unforgettable Weight Stories

I much like Nicole on todays show am only 25, I just gave birth to my second child and the day before she was born I weighted in at 402 lbs.  I had a very difficlult and complicated pregnancy and birth due to my weight.  I have made goal to change my life, not only for myself but for my family.  I did not make this goal a resolution and I have not placed any weight goals on myself, the only thing I expect of myself is to stay with my new life style and not to fall back. I am proud to say my baby is now 4 weeks old and I have already shead over 60 lbs and have not fell off once.

January 4, 2006, 9:50 am CST

Again it is in your genes. Some people do and some don't

Quote From: jayc11

I have been heavy most of my life except maybe a few years in college.  I am 34 and started losing weight last year then I got pregnant and had the most amazing baby in July of 2005.   My pre-pregnancy weight was about 260 and I got up to 299 during my pregnancy which really scared me.  My little girl has inspired me to finally get the weight off.  So far I have lost 30 lbs and am down to 230 and losing a little weight every week.  However after watching todays show, I'm freaked out a bout having all that lose skin.  I can't even imagine having surgery and wonder if I wouldnt look better not losing too much weight.  Already I am inspired by the difference in my body, but I started looking at my arms and wonder am I destined to have the same problem todays guest had.  I always told myself If I lost the weight slow I wouldn't, but now i think ive been lying to myself.  Can anyone lose 100 or more and not have the skin problem?  Help I'm freaking out. 

There are women that have babies and have 6 packs with very smooth skin and there are women who never get their tummies back to that smooth flat surface we all loved in High School.  It is your genes that make those differences.  Your current age and how fast you loose, how much sun damage you've done to your skin and how healthy you are also make some difference but overall the most important factor is your genetics.  

The bottom line is you won't really know how your body will respond until about 4 months after you have lost the weight.  Don't waist your money on skin creams or other things they don't help.  Do what you need to do to have healthy skin, don't smoke, stay away from caffine, and keep out of the sun unless you are protected.  If your really worried I suggest you see a dermatologist and find out what things you need to include and exclude in your diet to keep your skin healthy.  A good dermatologist should be able to give you a better idea as to how your skin type will handle the change in your weight. 

January 4, 2006, 9:55 am CST

01/04 Unforgettable Weight Stories

I was on a diet and exercise program when I was inured at work.  I have been on restrictions for almost a year now and started gaining weight again.  The problem is that the inury is to my foot, from my ankle down.  I can not get clearance to do anything other than sedentary activities.  Anyone have any ideas on exercise?
Any exercise in water, like swimming or aquatic exercise classes will be easier on your foot because the water helps support your weight.   Always ask your physician first, though.

January 4, 2006, 10:01 am CST

For Nicole

Nicloe's problem just broke my heart.  How sad to have her health and vitality ruined during the most fun years in life!  I will hope and pray for you that you recover from this. 

And to Nicole's friends-I am so impressed that you stick by your friend.  She will need you to make it through and I'm glad she has you.  One thing that you might try instead of taking her to clubs and trying to get her to dance there,  take her to a park and go on long walks with her while chatting. Stop at picnic tables to rest when she wants and keep going. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last