Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Number of Replies: 355
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:05:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 01/04/06) Have you ever stepped on the scale and thought, "That number can't be right"? You don’t have to wait until the new year to resolve to lose weight or eat healthy. Kristine stopped making excuses for her weight and lost over 100 pounds, thanks to Dr. Phil's words of wisdom. See what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Nicole is only 25 but morbidly obese. After a wake-up call from her family, friends, and Dr. Phil, will she find the courage and motivation to get healthy? And, is it possible to reach your weight loss goal and still be miserable? See one woman's shocking reality. Through the stories of these three women, losing weight becomes an emotional as well as a physical journey. Share your weight loss stories and challenges here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2006, 10:21 am CST

kudos to Kristine

Kristine is an inspiration and should be proud of herself.  I need to lose some weight and can't seem to find the inspiration for nearly 40 pounds, let alone 100.  Kristine, thanks for the dedication!  

January 4, 2006, 10:36 am CST

you are right, Curves is great

Quote From: hubbard3

I joined Curves about 10 months ago, and I have lost 131 pounds and 94.5 inches. I love going there. The fact that everyone is there for the same reason, plus we are all women, keeps me going. No one has ever turned their nose up at me, and now I am the encouragement to new members! Now I love being "The BIGGEST LOSER"!!! I went from a size 32W to a Misses 12. I just would like to be able to rid of this excess skin. My insurance will NOT pay for the surgery, which doesn't make sense, it is a health hazzard and an emotional hazzard! But I am not giving up!
I lost over 100 lbs. at Curves.  I started eating sensibly, but knew I should exercise.  I chose Curves because of the friendly atmosphere and NO men.  I have 50 lbs. to go and I know I can do it!!  The support there is awesome!

January 4, 2006, 10:54 am CST

You can do it....

Nicole you are only 25.... You are very young... 

I am 23 and had a beautiful child in June of 2005. My pre-pregnancy weight was 162 and at 5'3 that is not healthy to begin with....On the day of my child's birth I weighed in at 211lbs....OH MY GOSH!!!!! I thought to myself. I have always been active in sports and always had a muscular build. I told myself in June that on my wedding day (which is in March of 2006) I will weigh less than I did before I got pregnant...Well it is January of 2006 and as of right now I weigh 154lbs. I am on my way to a healthy me. 

Nicole you can do it. If you start off little it will get better. Don't expect to run a marathon right away. You will eventually get where you want to be. Walking is a good way to start off...I made my mom walk with me after I had my child and SHE lost 15lbs in 2weeks...see just walking will help get you going. Once you see a difference it will help motivate you to keep going. Oh yeah one more thing...a healthy life change in your eating habits will help you also....NO fast food...it is best if you know what you are eating and what is in it. At least choose wisely on what you eat. Portion control.  

I wish you the best of luck. I know you can do it.  

Sincerely, 

Mother of one...on my way up (or down, weight wise) :)  

January 4, 2006, 12:42 pm CST

Nicole, I hope you can read this

Dear Nicole, 

I understand how much you are out of control with your food and your weight.  I too have this problem. What it turned into though for me was an eating disorder. Currently I am 130 lbs and you would think this makes me in a different position. I am telling you it does not. I am out of control with food and I cry all the time because of my bingeing episodes.  I really think you could  benefit from going to a facility where you can be served 3 healthy meals a day and learn to do other things with your time.  I  know this has helped me...sometimes when you have a severe problem you cannot solve it alone.....and it helps to be in the care of other people who can control what you cannot.  I'm not saying this is the best idea in the long run....but I know this has helped me keep my sanity lately.  I think that by not being in the home you would be  out of the environment that assists the problem. Maybe you have issues with your mom being overweight at one time and the issues she has with food.  I know I have that problem..my  mom is overweight and I feel like her and I are one person.  I cannot seperate my issues from hers.  The environment in which i have lived.....is bad for my problem...filled with junk..I had to live somewhere else in order to help myself. I didnt want to go but it was the only way to get what i wanted and finally be happy. To run away from the problem definately isn't the solution..but it helped me until I could get into the right frame of mind to be able to do it for myself.  I would give it a try. Maybe you even have a relative who you could live with..who might not keep as much food in their house. You should speak with them and get them to really watch you and help you..and when i say help i dont mean just saying dont eat that..i mean wreally watching you..helping you to eat healthy...making you healthy meals so you do not have to prepare them yourself..things like that. it helped for me and when i saw you i wanted to help. I have also been overweight previously in my life..so i have been there and every day is a battle.....take care.i know you can do it..and you will inspire alot of people along the way. 

January 4, 2006, 12:54 pm CST

weight....

Most of my girlfriends are morbidly obese. one is probably near 400 pounds, the other near 300, the third is near 200. I've seen them all do this diet and that diet only to gain it all back. My lightest friend does well on Atkins. she doesn't eat all of the meats, but does increase her vegetable and fruit intake. my 300 pound friend seems to suffer from depression and is always asleep. she eats and eats. she licks her fingers after sticking them in a jar of dressing, she eats huge portions and seems to go into autopilot when shoveling food in her mouth. it's the gravys and sauses on everything that seem to motivate her. my 400 pound friend, she is a bit more passive aggressive. she also has a daughter that is pained by her size. outwardly she is eating a balanced diet, but stop by unannounced and you will find her surrounded by cookies and crackers & chips. it is sad to see them all this way.  

then there is me. i eat to comfort myself, i eat because i love food, i eat because i love flavors. i've lost 14 pounds on jenny craig. i'm learning more portion control than anything. nutritionally i;ve always done okay. i do eat a lot of veggies, it's just my portions were out of control. i'm finding myself stopping myself now to ask myself if i am feeling blue and eating cheesecake or if i amhaving a treat because i have enough calories left in the day so i can have a SMALL piece.  

i grew up never caring about my weight. in fact i had trouble gaining weight. i was thin until i turned 25. i went from 110 to 160 in a year. since then i've been up and down.  

i'm glad dr phil examines all different kinds of people and provides some insight into what makes us the way we are. 

January 4, 2006, 1:03 pm CST

I am truly upset

How can Dr. Phil give that woman a plastic surgeon.  I have lost 139lbs since the birth of my 2 year old.  I too had the slapping together skin when I excersized but that was not a reason for me to give up, I just wore tighter workout pants to hold myself together.  She deserves applause for her weight loss achievement, however, without excersize your body will not be tone.  I too, have extra skin, but slowly and surely it is toning up.  Will I ever wear a bikini again?  Probably not, only because I would not be comfortable, however, I manage to fit in an hour of excersize a day for my own satisfaction.  Plastic surgery is not the answer.  If someone like myself, who wants results immediately can work at it as hard as I do, then someone who has a fitness oriented husband should be able to do it a lot easier.  You would surely have his support!!  I am very upset Dr. Phil!! 

Lisa 

January 4, 2006, 1:20 pm CST

01/04 Unforgettable Weight Stories

Quote From: lisayas

How can Dr. Phil give that woman a plastic surgeon.  I have lost 139lbs since the birth of my 2 year old.  I too had the slapping together skin when I excersized but that was not a reason for me to give up, I just wore tighter workout pants to hold myself together.  She deserves applause for her weight loss achievement, however, without excersize your body will not be tone.  I too, have extra skin, but slowly and surely it is toning up.  Will I ever wear a bikini again?  Probably not, only because I would not be comfortable, however, I manage to fit in an hour of excersize a day for my own satisfaction.  Plastic surgery is not the answer.  If someone like myself, who wants results immediately can work at it as hard as I do, then someone who has a fitness oriented husband should be able to do it a lot easier.  You would surely have his support!!  I am very upset Dr. Phil!! 

Lisa 

How selfish!  I would love to be able to do some of the things my friends have done but I don't have the money they do.  However, I'm not about to begrudge anyone a gift given by someone else!  Congratulations to you Lisa for your accomplishment.  Weighing in at almost 300 pounds I sincerely hope that one day my skin is flapping around when I exercise instead of my fat.  But how 'bout being happy for someone else who has been given a wonderful gift?

January 4, 2006, 1:21 pm CST

Hanging flesh

I had gastric vertical banded stapling 3 1/2 years ago.  Since then I have lost nearly 100 lbs and I look terrible.  Todays show just made me so angry at Dr. Phil because I understand just how that woman felt about looking awful and not enjoying the new body.  I am 55 years old and I have had a tummy tuck, just the lower tummy, but I have so much more loose skin.  My upper thighs have twice the excess skin hanging than she did.  I also cannot wear coats, blouses, or any type of tops that do not stretch due to the size of my arms.  Todays guest had loose skin hanging...mine is not only loose but very large.   

I feel the same way about my body as todays guest.  I feel uglier now than when I was heavy.  I even have sagging skin in my vaginal area which makes me feel extremely non sexy.  I feel so ugly and I'm so out of proportion.  I look fairly nice in a bathing suit from the armpits down to the crotch, anything above and below that look completely out of character.  

Because of my hanging flesh, I will not wear shorts, short sleeved shirts, I do not do much of the things I enjoy because of how I look.  I feel that Dr. Phil cannot possibly understand the disgust I, and all others with my circumstances, feel about our bodies.  It inhibits my sex life and even after 32 years of marriage, I still feel that every time my husband looks at me, he see's nothing but ripply skin hanging. 

Insurance companies should pay for excess skin removal.  It's all part of getting healthy, physically and mentally.   

January 4, 2006, 1:26 pm CST

trying to loose the weight

My New Years resolution like many others I am sure is to loose my extra weight. I am scared thou. I am scared ppl will try to sabotage me. Does that sound funny to you all? I am afraid i will do it to my self too.I don't know I was wondering those that have followed Dr. Phils diet plan was it hard to do it? I drink Pepsi all the time that is my bad vise i am addicted to them. How do I stop drinking them? I am really scared but i am ready to loose this weight it has to go I can not go threw another year over weight. I am sick of it. Any advise would be very welcome please!!! 

January 4, 2006, 1:29 pm CST

I plan to lose as much weight as possible this year and I don't care how I do it!

Well that's not entirely true, but mostly.  I refuse to do anything illegal or addictive to lose the weight.  I am 37 years old, have 4 children ages 3-12 and weigh 296 pounds.  I don't feel like exercising because I don't have any energy.  I own a share of a small business that is floundering but I am trying to keep it going for the people involved at least until our competition season is over, I have a small business in my home and I am the "go to" mom for my kids sports teams as well as the parent that gets asked to pick up kids when parents have appointments or emergencies.  I eat possibly 2 meals a day but usually only one.  I know what I have to do to get rid of the extra weight and I know it takes committment.  My plan is to start with a mild exercise program until I can build my lung capacity and stamina to do something more strenuous, change my eating habits to eat 6 small meals every day on a schedule and at least in the beginning go to the diet doctor to get some drugs to help me get rid of the first of it.  I know the risks of the diet doctor and I know all the reasons I shouldn't and I don't want to read any opinions on it.  Only because I know what it's like to hate to get dressed in the morning because your clothes don't fit right and are ugly because EVERYONE knows fat women don't have any taste!  I know what it's like to be embarrased to go out in public and I know what it's like to be ashamed for my kids and pray they don't have to listen to "friends" talking about how enourmous and gross their mother is.  There are lots of other reasons that I want to get rid of the weight.  What I would like to know is how do you fit those 6 little meals in to a day and stay on a schedule when you take care of everyone else?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last