Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: shawbehan

There have been many interesting viewpoints on this board.  Speaking to curses for myself, though, I agree with other posters who say that it is a person's belief that they have been cursed which causes all the negative things to happen.  I believe it is a law of the universe that we can reverse our own negative energy just by making a conscious effort to think in a more positive way.  I have been trying this myself, having just gone through a period of over 8 years of extreme austerity during which one tragic incident triggered many other difficult situations and periods of upset or ill health for me.  I finally figured out, though, that much of the pain was being created inside me and this realization has started to bring me back into the light, so to speak. 

To all who feel that misfortune is dogging them, try to just think more positive.  Not only that, if others weigh you down with their negativity, consciously avoid those people.  Hang out with those who have your same positive outlook.  This has made all the difference to me in just a few short months.  Try it, what do you have to lose but your pessimism? 

Sincerely, 

SB 

And how do you begin to do that when it is something new everyday????  I mean, I feel that I am just getting picked on!  I have not had one bit of good fortune in 32 years!   

I am really wanting advice on how to overcome this.  I do the best I can but I always get "screwed".  What are you to do?  How can you look at things positivly????   

January 23, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: justweird

I do believe in generational curses. Even the bible acknowleges generational iniquity. I have ancestors connected to the salem witch trials, and several generations of occult involvement. My great grandmother was a witch, and an uncles family who are still practicing satanists. Take that bizarre family and marry into another bizarre family to add in the Children of God cult, to make for some pretty messed up kids coming from that union.   

So yeah, I may be considered a crazy person because I have DID/MPD, but I'm not talking about just "perceived" curses, but all out attacks. Light bulbs blowing up, things flying of tables, glass in picture frames cracking for no reason - haunting type of stuff happens all the time, no matter where I live.  It is real.  

What is DID/MPD????

January 23, 2006, 1:35 pm CST

DID/MPD

Quote From: dlynn_pa

What is DID/MPD????
It is Dissociative Identity Disorder - formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder.  I'm a mess. And it is pretty much impossible to ignore it as other posters suggest to get over it. I mentioned it only to say that I have other evidence of curses, physical signs, etc. But I don't bother bringing those things up because they can be ruled out as abreactions/flashbacks.  I'd like people who don't believe in curses to explain how thinking positively will stop things from happening that cannot be ruled out as being in ones mind, though.  Like things that other people can witness like doors slamming by themselves and the stuff I mentioned earlier. Thinking happy thoughts wont affect that!

January 23, 2006, 7:29 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

What is DID/MPD????

That is so unfortunate.  I do not know much about it but I have heard some things and know your disorder is very real.  I hope you can learn to cope with it though, my best wishes to you. 

As far as thinking positively, I don't know... please let me know if you find out!!!!!   

January 24, 2006, 5:15 am CST

I will

That is so unfortunate.  I do not know much about it but I have heard some things and know your disorder is very real.  I hope you can learn to cope with it though, my best wishes to you. 

As far as thinking positively, I don't know... please let me know if you find out!!!!!   

I think it might work for some cases. For example, the guy thinking he is cursed because he keeps getting in car accidents. Well, duh!  There is a difference between self-fulfilling prophesy like that, and true curses, which I absolutely believe are real. I suppose that a person would have to experience some things in order to believe in them.  Like seeing ghosts. Okay, who knows what ghosts really are - are they demons, are they spirits of people who have died, are they imprints of historical events, or are they curses? I don't know  which is the answer, but I do know that there is SOMETHING to the paranormal (which would include curses).   

People in general just don't get it, and churches especially don't get it. I've been throuh exorcisms myself, which only served to make matters worse because the churches don't recognise the reality of MPD, so they essentially tried casting out parts of me - and that made me worse.  There has got to be a balance somewhere. People who know where the psychological ends and the supernatural begins. There is a line there somewhere. 

January 24, 2006, 7:28 pm CST

Sorry if I upset you...

It is Dissociative Identity Disorder - formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder.  I'm a mess. And it is pretty much impossible to ignore it as other posters suggest to get over it. I mentioned it only to say that I have other evidence of curses, physical signs, etc. But I don't bother bringing those things up because they can be ruled out as abreactions/flashbacks.  I'd like people who don't believe in curses to explain how thinking positively will stop things from happening that cannot be ruled out as being in ones mind, though.  Like things that other people can witness like doors slamming by themselves and the stuff I mentioned earlier. Thinking happy thoughts wont affect that!

Hello there.  I didn't mean to offend anyone here.  I am no expert, just was speaking to my own experience.  No one who is not a medical expert can suggest that someone with DID/MPD take any course of action.  I was just speaking to the fact that sometimes when things have been going badly for a long spell a person can kinda get sucked into a vortex of feeling like a victim or thinking everything is hopeless, and then they may be putting out negative energy/vibes that others are picking up on, as well as inadvertently sabotaging themselves by feeling they are unable to act in their own best interest.  Only my opinion, certainly not an expert one. 

As to the unusal stuff you mentioned, there is definitely something more going on here than what most people understand.  How you deal with it depends on your own beliefs and whether you feel something in the paranormal sphere may be going on.  If you follow any formalized religion, it may be best to consult your clergy member/rabbi etc. to see what suggestions they may have.  If you are Christian, I think it would make sense to have a cross near you or on you and to pray when things of this nature happen.  This may make you feel less frightened, anyway.  I hope you figure out what is going on because this is all a huge load on you. 

Again, sorry if I offended you in any way.  Not my intention at all. 

Sincerely, 

SB 

January 24, 2006, 7:46 pm CST

Hi dlynn...

And how do you begin to do that when it is something new everyday????  I mean, I feel that I am just getting picked on!  I have not had one bit of good fortune in 32 years!   

I am really wanting advice on how to overcome this.  I do the best I can but I always get "screwed".  What are you to do?  How can you look at things positivly????   

I think I may have an idea of what you are talking about here, okay?  8 1/2 years ago I had a freakish, one in a million kind of accident that has completely changed the course of my life.  Along with years of dealing with every kind of medical issue known to man, I have been ridiculed, belittled, made fun of, marginalized, abandoned by friends and family...you get the picture.  I started to think the same way as what you describe here 'Oh, what's the use in trying, everyone is against me, nothing can go right...'  You know what?  Nothing DID go right.   

Funny thing is, a new interest started me thinking in a more positive direction.  I started making gratitude lists instead of bellyaching about all my problems.  I started being thankful for the blessings I did have, no matter how small.  I mean, everything down to finding that close parking space or having a nice cup of coffee in the morning!!  Guess what happened?  Without a word of a lie, more positive things suddenly started happening to me.   

I know this may come across as a little bit flaky, but it has started to work for me.  It has also worked for other people I know.  One girl who also had an accident and is paralyzed was looking for a new home for herself.  She looked high and low at builder homes and saw nothing that moved her.  She was really disappointed after months of looking with no success.  She finally got fed up of being sad like that and decided to make a gratitude book for herself.  The very next week she told a close friend about her problem.  Within days, the friend's father, who happened to be a master builder, was calling and offering to build her a custom home, AT COST. 

I don't know what your personal beliefs are, but there are some who believe that our thoughts are so powerful we actually manifest them.  More and more I am starting to come around to this way of thinking.  It couldn't hurt to read up on this idea a bit and see what you think or feel about it.   

But whatever you believe, the bottom line is that being happy feels better than being sad.  Anyway, no matter how bad our own situation seems, there is always someone else who is worse off than we are.  Look for even the smallest silver lining to every cloud.  Soon I suspect you will no longer have to look, you will see them everywhere. 

Sincerely, 

SB 

January 24, 2006, 7:58 pm CST

You are so right Shamrock...

Quote From: shamrock42

Come on, guys!  Life is not perfect!  Bad things happen to good people!  Everyone has some form of health, family, house, job and car problem and as bad as you think  yours are, I promise you...pick three random people walking through a park and you will find at least one of them has problems bigger than yours.  Life is not perfect, road bumps keep us going, make us stronger and teach us humility.  Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode when the guy woke up in Heaven, everything was PERFECT and he went insane??  The only curse I believe in is the one you strap to your own back filled with thoughts of "WHY ME??"  You shouldn't do good things only to get good things back...do good things because it's right.  People are too quick to count up the bad things instead of the good things in their life.

The victim mentality is so rampant in our society today.  What if we all lived in a third world country and all we had to eat was about one cup of cooked rice a day and no clean water?  What if we lived in tiny huts with mud floors and had no clothes to wear? 

We all need to keep our eyes on the ball here.  And yes, we do need to show gratitude for the good things we have and not take those things for granted. 

Happiness is within all of us- not something we acquire or someone else can give us.  It has to come from inside.  What is that saying--"Happiness is wanting what we have not having what we want."  Very true. 

SB 

January 25, 2006, 5:48 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: shawbehan

I think I may have an idea of what you are talking about here, okay?  8 1/2 years ago I had a freakish, one in a million kind of accident that has completely changed the course of my life.  Along with years of dealing with every kind of medical issue known to man, I have been ridiculed, belittled, made fun of, marginalized, abandoned by friends and family...you get the picture.  I started to think the same way as what you describe here 'Oh, what's the use in trying, everyone is against me, nothing can go right...'  You know what?  Nothing DID go right.   

Funny thing is, a new interest started me thinking in a more positive direction.  I started making gratitude lists instead of bellyaching about all my problems.  I started being thankful for the blessings I did have, no matter how small.  I mean, everything down to finding that close parking space or having a nice cup of coffee in the morning!!  Guess what happened?  Without a word of a lie, more positive things suddenly started happening to me.   

I know this may come across as a little bit flaky, but it has started to work for me.  It has also worked for other people I know.  One girl who also had an accident and is paralyzed was looking for a new home for herself.  She looked high and low at builder homes and saw nothing that moved her.  She was really disappointed after months of looking with no success.  She finally got fed up of being sad like that and decided to make a gratitude book for herself.  The very next week she told a close friend about her problem.  Within days, the friend's father, who happened to be a master builder, was calling and offering to build her a custom home, AT COST. 

I don't know what your personal beliefs are, but there are some who believe that our thoughts are so powerful we actually manifest them.  More and more I am starting to come around to this way of thinking.  It couldn't hurt to read up on this idea a bit and see what you think or feel about it.   

But whatever you believe, the bottom line is that being happy feels better than being sad.  Anyway, no matter how bad our own situation seems, there is always someone else who is worse off than we are.  Look for even the smallest silver lining to every cloud.  Soon I suspect you will no longer have to look, you will see them everywhere. 

Sincerely, 

SB 

I will give it a try!!!  So, you just start a journal of sorts????  Instead of saying, "this got me down", you write, "I learned something today"?  Am I understanding correctly????

January 25, 2006, 5:51 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

I think it might work for some cases. For example, the guy thinking he is cursed because he keeps getting in car accidents. Well, duh!  There is a difference between self-fulfilling prophesy like that, and true curses, which I absolutely believe are real. I suppose that a person would have to experience some things in order to believe in them.  Like seeing ghosts. Okay, who knows what ghosts really are - are they demons, are they spirits of people who have died, are they imprints of historical events, or are they curses? I don't know  which is the answer, but I do know that there is SOMETHING to the paranormal (which would include curses).   

People in general just don't get it, and churches especially don't get it. I've been throuh exorcisms myself, which only served to make matters worse because the churches don't recognise the reality of MPD, so they essentially tried casting out parts of me - and that made me worse.  There has got to be a balance somewhere. People who know where the psychological ends and the supernatural begins. There is a line there somewhere. 

Has anyone tried to help you combine your talents?  I mean, has anyone sat down with you via hypnotherapy and tried to get your personalities to work together?  From what I understand, hypnosis has a good chance of working.

First | Prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | Next | Last