Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 2:53 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

I truly believe with all my heart that there are curses, and also blessings.  People actually can put curses on themselves.  A study was done with 2 jars of rice.  The same conditions for both.  For 30 days people would speak to one jar nothing but "you're stupid" (which is a word curse).  For the other jar for 30 days people would speak things like "you're beautiful, you can do anything," etc (which are word blessings).  After the 30 days the jar that was told it was stupid was black and moldy.  The other jar of rice was just as white ans fluffy as day one.  The point?  When you speak, blessings or curses come from your mouth.  They are alive.  I think since the first 2 guests kept saying that they were cursed, every Tuesday something bad happened, they released that into their own life.  And just like Dr. Phil said, that is all they are focused on and they are blinded by all of the positive.  Makes sense-God spoke the world into exsistince and everything else.  With His Words came forth everything. James says this:  "Out of the mouth proceed blessing and cursing."  James 3:10

January 5, 2006, 2:54 pm CST

NIGHT TERRORS (Paver Nocturnus)

Quote From: michaelaj

I had the worst  nightmares all my adult life- just like your guest!  Finally one night I had a dream that I was shot from the back with a shotgun and I saw my insides fly out the front of me.  I decided then that I needed relief from the nightmares.  I paid lots of money for a two-day study at Mayo Clinic.  They basically told me I was an anxious person (just like half the women in this country!) and that the anxiety was making it hard for me to get into a deep sleep.  They told me to learn to relax, gave me hypnosis, and gave me drug options.  Nothing really worked for me until I read on the internet that some people used Benadryl to sleep, so every night for the last five years I've taken two Benadryl an hour before bed and I usually sleep without dreams until my alarm goes off.  I spent many evenings searching for ideas on the internet, and I know this won't work for everyone, but, yeah, I could've thought that I was posessed and crazy too, but I'm a Christian and I don't give Satan that much credit!  Best wishes to all those still suffering- start looking and keep praying.  
I struggled with night terrors all my life.  They are different from nightmares in the fact that the person often wakes up and acts out the dream,  not knowing it isn't real.   Again,  nightmares/night terrors can often be stressed related.   try listening to 45 minutes of soft music before sleep.  Studies have shown that is the best way for a good nights sleep.  Also,  having a consistent sleep pattern helps;  going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time each night and morning.  

January 5, 2006, 2:55 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: bella123

I just watched the the show where people think they are cursed or possesed.  I have witnessed an excorcisim first hand and I do believe these things really happen.  I thought that having witnessed this I would be scared for life but I have gone on and lead a normal life.  I believe that I could not have gotten through it with out God.  He has helped me to put the trauma behind me and have a normal life.  With therapy and prayer my nightmares are behind me. 
I have experienced excercisms also.  Well, three.  One of a friend in college.  They only let one other student in there during the excercism, which was myself.  It is so dangerous to have unprotected/spiritually weak individuals present during the exercism.  I was so upset to hear that the father was bringing people into the home to be excercised.  That is so dangerous!  Especially to have children in the house.  Not only is it spiritually dangerous, but it's dangerous psychologically as well. 

I have to say I am very impressed that DR Phil gave his opinion on the subject.  I think he did an excellent job. 

The second and third exercisms were my own.  When I was little my mom tried to excercise me because I was so terrible.  Since then I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, which is a high functioning form of autism.  This caused much of my behaviour, including adversion to being touched.  When I was older, my parents thought I was possesed because I had been raped and then became promiscous with the rapist, and later a boyfriend.  They felt that ment I was posessed, and I wasn't!  I can understand how that poor lady felt, even if she was possesed.  I was so angry and hurt.  I don't think I've ever gotten over it. 

On another note, my grandmother was very obviously possessed.  She had other voices (including male) that spoke through her and she had super human strength (weighed 65 lbs,
hadn't eaten in a week, but it took four large male nurses to hold her down.)  She tried to kill her son, who lived with her.  She was really messed up, and the psychologists who evaluated her said she was fine.  We put her in a nursing home and shortly thereafter she behaved normally.  I supose the demons left her and went into others in the retirement home.

January 5, 2006, 3:02 pm CST

NEW MINDSET, NEW LIFE

Quote From: popptart

There are lots of ways of being cursed, I belive we can curse ourselves and not even know it. We can curse our children, without meaning it. My life has been less then charmed, but about 10 years ago I started to 'belive in carma' sort of like the new show 'My name is Earl' and began to try to live my life as honest and true as I could, nothing has changed nothing in my life has got better, yet I continue to try to live honestly and continue to get dirt kicked in my face. 

I even tried to re-start my life, I got married, had a baby and thought I was finally going to live happily ever after, far from the truth, I had EXTREAMLY bad post pardom and befor my daughter turned one my husband of only 2 years had heart surgery and has had complications since and been out of work. 

My real mother left me when I was 5 months old, my father the same, and my aunt who I knew as mom dumped me in 2002. My husband was a healthy sane man when we married, and I cant help but think looking at him now, sick and at home, that I am cursed and have been since the first time I was left . 

I KNOW IT'S HARD RIGHT NOW, BUT NEVER GIVE UP.  GOD HAS NOT FORGOTTEN YOU OR YOUR FAMILY, SO DON'T YOU FORGET HIM OR HIS WORD, AND ESPECIALLY HIS LOVE. 

WE ARE STILL BEING HEALED BY THE STRIPS OF JESUS CHRIST.  

A WONDERFUL BOOK THAT HELP ME AND SO MANY MILLIONS OF OTHERS. 

"YOUR BEST LIFE YET" BY PASTOR JOEL OLSTEEN.  IT IS EASY READING AND NOT CONDEMNING AT ALL.  IT REALLY OPENED MY EYES TO SO MUCH MORE OF THE POWER OF THINKING AND BELIEVING GOOD AND NOT ALL THE NEGATIVE. 

PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE, THAT IS SOLID AND WELL BALANCED IN GOD'S WORD.  WE ALL NEED HELP, ASK GOD TO SHOW YOU WHO HE WANTS YOU TO TALK TO. 

BE BLESSED, 

IMHOMEFREE 

January 5, 2006, 3:08 pm CST

Understanding

Dr. Phil and that Dr. Lawless are wrong. People are failing to realize something. The physical body is last on the list. It goes Spirit, Soul(or mind), and then Body. To say that what that woman was doing in her sleep was letting off stress is crazy. Tounges is real and it isn't a possesion by demons. The actual "language" of tounges is speaking to God with your spirit. The fact that she was fighting demons in her nighmares can only mean she is going through spiritual warfare with them and she is winning. They keep coming around to see if she will break. The fact that she chooses God's side and speaks with her spirit to God while she is fighting only means that she is very strong. We all fight them. The people who say "I don't believe in that stuff" simply lost the fight. That's why there is so much wrong with this world now. No one wants to acknowledge the fact that the spiritual world is alot more real and alot more powerful than this one we live in. Tounges is a prayer language to God that not even satan can understand. People should really start to realize that this life we are living now isn't it and we are all going to be dead alot longer than we will be alive so it's time to start opening up eyes and realizing that there is more to this life than the physical body. 

Mark 

17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."  

Faith is more than just a 5 letter word. 

God Bless 

January 5, 2006, 3:12 pm CST

Curses and demons don't have to take your power!

I believe these people can overcome their "curses".  It begins with what Dr. Phil has said over and over, you can't "fix" something until you own it.  When they can believe and admit to themselves that the problem lies within their own power, they'll be able to work on getting rid of the negative and work on strengthening the positive and taking back contorl of their power.
    The first guest needs to lose the idea of a curse.  Disbelieving that curse and believing in herself is the first step.  The second guest as well, disbelieve that he has such bad luck.  At the risk of judgement, it sounds like an excuse to shurk taking on more responsibility as a father and soon-to-be husband.  The third guest has more issues from her childhood to deal with.  Her father has taken her power from her and put those thoughts into her head making her believe that she's evil.  We are a product of how we are raised and our environment.  She can change that now by taking back her power and disbelieving in the demons within her.  I'm sure she has much guilt in doing so because he was her father.  When we go against what our "loving" parents said what was best for us, it takes a toal on our loyalty as their children. 
    The last guest needs to find the source of her nightmares in order to change them.  I remember having terrible nightmares when I was pregnant.  The apprehension of the pregnancy was most definitly the cause.  When I'm in deep worry or very sick, I have bad dreams.  It's a restlessness in the mind that needs to be put at peace. 
    I've dealt with depression and drug abuse since my teenage years and after trying prescription drugs, I am now taking charge of how I feel without relying on false "feel-betters".  A good diet, lots of water, vitamins with B Complex, and exercise helps a great deal as well as self motivation and journaling.  I'm disbelieving that depression can over power my emotions so that I have no control.  I'm my own controller.  I decide how I want to feel.  When those feelings of anger, loneliness, self-loathing begin to creep in, I stand up to them and shout back, I don't believe in you. 
    Demons can be dealt with in much the same way.  If you don't believe in them, they can't take your power.  I'm a Christian and believe in Jesus and his love for us.  Prayer has helped me in many situations.  But, I also believe in evolution and sience.  (I also believe in Dr. Phil and his hard work to get families back together.  Honest, not a plug!)  I've been torn and my faith tested many times.  But, I DON'T believe in the devil because he's not welcome in my life.  Evil is just ignorance and bad parenting!  When "bad" things happen, I believe they happen for a reason that we're not always aware of at that moment.  But I have learned that what happens to me, good and bad, has a lot to do with my lifestyle and the responsibility I claim for myself.  The rest happens for a reason I'll someday learn.  That's called wisdom! 

January 5, 2006, 3:15 pm CST

exorcism

I would like to address the young woman that experienced the exorcism at age 9 by her father. 

I picture your dad as an intense, high energy, forceful and controlling man that could terrify and intimidate a grown man or woman let a long a small child. (I could be wrong) 

1. Parent’s words and expectation’s are powerful.  

2. Rejecting a child and telling a child that she is possessed is abusive and is                        abandonment. 

3. A child’s concept of God is influenced by the relationship with their parents,                               particularly the father. 

4. You were sexually active as a young girl and being a mother at such a young                  age is hard because you just aren’t ready. You made some choices that were  

tough to live through. 

5. Thinking of praying or trusting God must be terrifying because of  fear of                  God’s rejection and judgment. ( 

My heart goes out to you; because you deserve better, and you must treat yourself as worthy of good things like love, trust, kindness, and acceptance.  

Read the words of Jesus and see that he was criticized for hanging out with the wrong crowd. He showed people how to be different and live differently. He paid the price for our sins and mistakes. 

God loves you and is waiting to welcome His weary wandering child. He’ll put people in your life to love you and encourage you.   

Rest babygirl, rest, your father in heaven loves you and will guard you when you sleep 

January 5, 2006, 3:16 pm CST

Speaking in Toungs is Truly Real

Quote From: chicklet_s

i'am wondering if that is what is going on in our home ......for a year now  in the middle of the night my husband talks in his sleep ,it sounds clearly like he is talking in a different language, he has even sang a short part of a song   " this language" . sounds like it truly is a language of a different kind , He talks it like he knows what he is saying . when i ask him about it he knows nothing about it but is very curious to know more about it ...  So we have ever came to finding out what it could be was on the  dr phil show "toungs" what is "toungs"?He has looked up TALKING IN FOREGEN LANGUAGES,SLEEP TALKING IN A DIFFERENT LAUNGUAGES . and has came up with nothing . please if you think you can help us on this one , feel free to do so ....we are interested in your opinion thanks .

Speaking in tongues a spiritual gift given by Jesus Christ (Mark 16:17, 1 Corinthians 12:3-11) so that the ones that are in Him will have the power to communicate at any time.  People that are not spiritual gifted can’t speak on this subject.  The flow can be from God/Jesus to man, man to God/Jesus or form man to man.  The language can be a known language or an unknown language or a combination of the two.  Or it could just be stuttering our utterances.  All of this depends on the level of the gift and to whom the person is speaking to at the time.  Beginners (lower level) may make utterances, etc.  Higher level people can speak in a language very fluidly at will.  If the person is speaking to God/Jesus directly then the language may be unknown so it will be a privet matter, even from the devil.  If the tongue is meant for people to hear, it can very well be in a known tongue.  I state it that way because there is the gift of the interpretation of tongues also.  So if a person is speaking and there is a person with the gift of interpretation around, that person may understand what is being said even if the tongue is unknown or even if the person doesn’t know the language (tongue).  I speak very fluidly in all tongues and I was able to understand all tongues before I was able to speak in them.  There is much more to this and other gifts.  And yes, evil people/spirits can speak in tongues also.  I am the prophet of Jesus!  The Lord be with you! 

January 5, 2006, 3:17 pm CST

Am I cursed?

At night i have disturbing nightmares and visions. I have a hard time sleeping at night. I dream and see visions of the end of the world and the coming of the anti-christ. Lack of sleep is wrecking havoc on my life. Sometimes the dreams are so bad I end up in tears scared. I keep a dream journal of these events. I have had these episodes since i was teenager after my baptism in the church. I have went to a psychologist in the past to help me but i didnt do much. I dream horrible things. I wish someone could help me take charge of this.

January 5, 2006, 3:22 pm CST

Not possesssed... sleep paralysis

The woman who believes she is battling good and evil in her sleep, speaking in toungues and barking like a dog is experiencing a neurological phenomenon called "sleep paralysis." This is a peculiar brain state where the mind is partially conscious but the body is paralysed. There are stages within the normal sleep cycle when the bodied is immobilised. We are not aware of this since we are asleep, of course. However, some people partially awaken into a semi-conscious state and become aware of their lack of ability to move. In this state the mind is only partially conscious, and the confabulatory mechanisms of the dream state are still in force. So the paralysis may be recast as a physical struggle in the mind of the half-awake person. The specific form that the experience takes is dependant upon the imagery and conscepts available through that person's belief system.

I know this because I experienced this frequently during a period of my life when I was drinking heavily. (Alcohol interferes with sleep patterns--in particular surpressing REM sleep, when we dream and are paralysed.) I would partially awaken to perceive that my arms and legs were being manipulated by malevolent forces and that I was helpless to stop them. Or I would experience sharp, sting pains like wasp bites all over my scalp. When I fully awoke I could clearly understand that all of this had been a strange kind of waking dream and that no malevolent spirits had been at work.

There is another odd semi-conscious state in which one can learn to exert some control over events in a dream. This is known as "lucid dreaming", since you are aware that you are dreaming, but remain dreaming and asleep. In this state, I was able to turn dream events in what I thought a more favorable direction, but never was able to gain full control. Apparently others have had better success than I.

I eventually deduced that my sleep paralysis was due to the disruption in my normal sleep cycles from alcohol, and from sleeping on my back! That's all it was. It appeared that for some unknown reason, pressure on the back of my head and/or neck would often induce sleep paralysis. I learned to avoid sleeping on my back (and stopped drinking) and have had no more episodes. I kind of miss them, oddly enough.

I feel strongly that both Dr. Phil and Dr. Lawless missed the boat on this one. As an experiencer of sleep paralysis, I knew about thirty seconds into the segment what the problem was. Please tell this woman (and her husband) that she is not possessed or cursed, but is experiencing an unusual but well-understood neurological phenomenon. She should consult a neurologist to discuss this, and see what in her daily/nightly routine may be causing her to fall into this state. And she should also approach this from a psychological point of view. It wasn't true in my case--I don't think--but it may be that emotional problems can disrupt normal sleep rhythms and cause sleep paralysis. A good neurologist would know.

James M Shook

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last