Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 7:20 am CST

Curses Do Exist Whether One Believes Or Not

Regardless of one's faith or lack thereof, whether you believe in them or not, curses do exist.  Just because one doesn't believe in the existence of a spiritual realm does not mean it does not exist.  I am not sure if these people are cursed or there is a generational curse upon them and their families but what is happening to them is something they should consider very carefully.  May be, it is God trying to get their attention to wake them up or help them to wake others up.  The Word of God is LOADED with information on curses, unclean spirits, evil spirits, and how to deal with them, get rid of them, how they came to be, and how we can cause them to come upon ourselves. 

My suggestion to all the people who were on the show whether you believe in God or not is that if you truly want to get rid of what is happening or even just want some sort of understanding regarding what is happening, I suggest you find a good Bible, (and it doesn't have to be the King James Version, there are plenty of versions out there that are completely understandable that you can read; I suggest the NIV or NKJV) look in the very back of it in the concordance and look up the words, curses, spirits, mediums, etc.... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

January 5, 2006, 7:38 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Curses do not have power over Christians, First of all the folks involved need to receive salvation in Jesus Christ, and secondly  then they need to bind the spirits in the name of Jesus Christ. Curses, spirits and demons are powerless against Him. Smudging the house with sage isnt going to do it.  These are my religious beliefs, I know not all will agree, but this is where true freedom from curses and evil spirits lies. I wish Dr. Phil who does profess himself to be a Christian had dealt with this on a spiritual as well as secular level.

Holly's husband needs to go get his wife a minister to pray over her and preach the gospel instead of just saying "Youre possessed!"

If this lady is having physical manifestations--the windshield thing, it is pretty serious, somehow a doorway has been opened in that home to demonic spirits.

January 5, 2006, 7:55 am CST

cursed

I believe in curses.  

Like for example, if your father was an alcoholic your more likely predispostioned for an addictive behavior. Yea, it's a genetic thing, but it's also a curse (which can be overcome).  Also, in a religious aspect putting a curse on someone is sending out a bad spirit to them to cause damage to them. I believe in curses that way, but not 'oh, I broke a mirror, I'm cursed for 7 years'. 

January 5, 2006, 7:58 am CST

Curse

I am 62 years old and was brought up in a pentecostal church who practiced praying out demons(exorcism), speaking in tongues and witnessed lots of other strange things.  Thank God, I was a tough, little independent girl who overcame it; married, joined my  husband 'st raditional Baptist church, raised 2 well adjusted children in a modern Baptist - healthy environment.  Your guest who was exorcised by her father needs to bury those memories and contribute their behavior to "ignorance".  My mother, who is now 84, is still in the Pentecostal church but realizes a lot of mistakes made.  She was uneducated, raised in it herself, but now realizes why her 4 daughters did not continue in it as adults.  I watched people walk through a house speaking in tongues annointed clothes, food, everything in the house.  I thought they were "nuts".  I never took my children when they were young to my mother's church because it would have scared them to death, people speaking in tongues, passing out on the floor, etc.  I was immuned and overlooked it.  Please tell your guest to put it behind her - there was nothing wrong with her then or now.

January 5, 2006, 8:00 am CST

cursed?

This is a very difficult topic. This is one of the most controversial issues of today, and there are arguements on both sides of the issue, (meaning good vs. evil and is it real or not?) 

I happen to have come from a family in which there was generational occult practices, and even satan worship. Do I believe that a person can be cursed? Yes, because I have witnessed things too bizarre and scary that most people only see in the movies.  

The woman on the show whose father did an "exorcism" on her at the age of 8, had a very sad story, but one that I believe is real. The others on the show may have "opened doors" to spiritual activity in their life, but all of them can get help for these happenings. 

I too have had many terrible experiences all through my life, and they seem to never end. People have often thought of my life as "cursed", and have even said so, because I have had non stop bad things happen, one right after the other. But, I know where mine come from. 

With my mother having been "in the occult", and her mother as well, they used "powers", to curse people, as well as having spirits appear in their houses, drapes come off the walls, clocks and tv's start and stop, noises from different parts of the house, boots walking across the room with no one in them, etc.  

They also did the tarot, automatic writing, and my mother used to let evil spirits enter her body, and they would talk through her to "tell people things". Bizarre? Laughable? Yes, to anyone who has never actually SEEN it. But, it IS real. I've seen it, heard it, and felt it. Once these "happenings" are in your house, or family, they don't go away on their own, they have to be DEALT with.  

People can laugh, and say how ridiculous this sounds, but I assure you, this does happen, and it IS REAL. There is good in the world, and the goodness comes from God, and there is evil in the world and it comes from satan and demons.  It is not "people who have come back from the dead', or "restless spirits", because scripture clearly explains what really is causing these episodes. 

But, what if you don't believe in scripture or the Bible? Well, it doesn't make it any LESS real. The Catholic church has done a wonderful job with using the rite of exorcism, and many other religions have done this as well, and have had successes. There have been failures as well, and it is usually because the people doing it are "not prepared" for the exorcism. Much preparation has to take place before you do ANYTHING that has to do with evil spirits. 

I too was raised in a Pentecostal church, where even though they did some good things, they also caused a lot of damage in people's lives. Even so,  I heard about God and Jesus, and how the power of Christ can get rid of evil spiritual activity in your house, and in your lives. I no longer go to the Pentecostal church because of many "issues", but have found solace in a main line denomination, who also believe in "casting out evil spirits, and how God can heal your lives".  They do not FOCUS on this, it is only a part of their belief, but a very important part, especially to those who have had experiences with this. 

I think Dr. Phil gave the woman good advice, when he told her to find a good church with a pastor who can deal with this,  AND also get some therapy to deal with the emotional issues within herself. The combination of the two should help her a lot. I believe one cannot be done without the other. I have had to have that done myself.  

But, God is more powerful than any evil, and without Him, there is no defense against it. We can not "will" it away, or "hope" it will go away, because it DOESN'T. Many people, even very religious people say," I just ignore it, and it doesn't bother me". That is dangerous to believe, because again, whether you ignore it or not, it doesn't make it any less real or powerful. 

Thankfully, I have been set free from the generational curses in my family, and have had to do a lot of praying "very specific prayers" to do so. But, I still have many bad things happen to me, but I still pray and know that I am free from my family's past, and that my children are also free, because once a family has this "generationally", it continues until someone decides for it to stop. Again, this sounds "ridiculous", and you can laugh if you want, but it's real.  

The power of Jesus Christ is what has set me free, (not a denomination) because God is not ANY denomination. (God is God)   

I hope this woman gets help and is set free. Also, the woman who has episodes "in her sleep", is another case where she should seek out a church and pastor who can help her. Her story also, has many elements to it that bothered me, and I believe that she too, is being harrassed by evil, but her and her husband as well, can be set free from this. 

Dede7007     

January 5, 2006, 8:05 am CST

God is real... so is the devil

There is good and evil in this world. There is a God and there is the devil. There is only one true God. He is the God of this universe and he is the father of Jesus Christ. God and the devil are not equals for God also created the devil. The devil used to be an angel of the Lord, Lucifer. Lucifer was given a will with free moral choice. He chose to do evil and rebel against God. He was cast out of Heaven to only reside in Earth or Hell. When Lucifer was cast out of Heaven he brought 1/3 of the other angels with him. These other angels are now the evil spirits and demons of our world. Satan is the leader of these demons and these invisible supernatural beings have power directed toward evil works of darkness. Satan is ruling the earth today, not only over the evil spirits, but also over evil men who choose to rebel against God, like he did. Those who do not know God or the devil become victims of Satan's devices. The word "know" means choosing to follow and dedicating your life to. The word "know" does not simply mean to be aware of or to just simply believe in. For even the devil believes in God. But to know God means to have a personal relationship with Him. Those that have a personal relationship with God by making a verbal confession of faith in Jesus Christ (who died on the cross to save humans from their sin) then have the power to pray for deliverence. This means out loud commanding the demons to go in the name of Jesus. If someone does not have a personal relationship with God, by way of confessing their sins and accepting Jesus to rule their life, than they do not have the power to command demons to leave in the name of Jesus. When a person has made a confession of faith that means they have had a heart change. God loves us. He loves us so much that he sent his son Jesus Christ to die on the cross, and rise from the dead to save us from our sin. When Jesus died he was the ultimate sacrifice and he rose and defeated death. So if we truly believe in God and his son and ask him to fill our heart and rule our lives than we are filled with the spirit of God. This spirit of God is what gives us the power to command demons to leave in the name of Jesus. For God has already defeated the devil. He is stronger and more powerful than the devil. All people on this earth have the choice to "know" God or to not. If you choose to NOT "know" God than satan has power over you. This does not mean that he will make himself evident to you or terrorize you, but it means that when you die you will go to hell with him. If you choose to "know" God, that means a sincere heart change, than you have power over the devil. Now this does not mean that the devil will or will not make himself evident to you, but it does mean that you are able to rebuke him in the name of Jesus. This also means that when you die you will go to Heaven to be with your savior, Jesus.  

This is just an insight into who God and the devil are. There is so much more people need to know. A good website to visit that can answer questions or just give you more information is  

www.bible.com take the link on the side to Bible Answers to find topis such as  

Biblical Information | Christian Living | Church Issues | End Times | Family/Relationships
Finances | God/Jesus | Health | Holidays | News Events |Prayer and Fasting
Salvation/Heaven | Social/Cultural Issues | Spiritual Warfare/Demons   I hope this is helpful to everyone who reads.

January 5, 2006, 8:09 am CST

Sleep Paralysis

I think they missed something when helping Holly with her problem.  (The woman who experiences horrifying nightmares.)

Sleep Paralysis.  What she experiences is almost word for word what one experiences during sleep paralysis.

I've suffered from it for years.  I've often had horrifying nightmares of demons and evil, waking up to feel demonic presences over me and pushing on me, being unable to cry out or talk or even move, or yelling once I finally pull myself out of it.  Hearing the sound of demonic voices around my head and feeling an overwhelming sense of doom and evil.

It's horrifying and for years I also thought I was haunted by demons.  (It didn't help that I was raised in a pentacostal household where even my toys were apparently possessed by demons.)

It wasn't until someone told me about sleep paralysis that it all made sense.  The episodes are still terrifying, but I can now go to sleep afterwards.  I no longer have trouble sleeping for days because of them.  Knowing what was wrong has given me a great sense of peace.

The problem is that there isn't necessarily a fool proof  way to get rid of sleep paralysis.  There are some drugs that seem to work, but it isn't 100%.  I'm concerned that Holly will try these "visualization" methods and be dismayed when they don't work.  That it will more firmly place in her mind that she is haunted by demons when she simply is experience extreme amounts of stress and/or sleep deprivation.  (That's usually what triggers mine.)

The relief I felt when I realized it wasn't demons and that everything, for what it's worth, was normal was exhilirating.  I don't want anyone else who suffers from this to be any more scared than they have to be.

January 5, 2006, 8:12 am CST

Evil Today

I have read all of the messages posted regarding this topic.  My opinion is simply my own and my belief.  I too have experienced evil dreams throughout my life and it wasn't until I studies this area that i understood the doorways that have lead to these dreams.  I believe evil is real and exists.  As long as we live on Earth, we will be witness to it.   I also believe that people who are involved in the Wiccan culture are witches and warlocks.  I don't believe there are good and bad witches.  Your practicing witchcraft and it goes against what God himself teaches.  The Bible is very clear specifically the Old Testament on those who were then called "sooth sayers."  Do these people go out and committ murder? In most instances no, however please be clear to those people who are spiritually searching on who you call your God.    I believe Satanism is very much alive and practiced here in the US and people from all levels of life are involved, not just those people incacerated in prison who worship the devil.  The Bible explicitly talks about evil.  Jesus himself cast demons from people.  As we get closer to the end times, I believe we will see more and more evil acts on this earth.  That being said, I feel for the husband of the woman who fights evil in her dreams.  She is rexperiencing these things as is he.  It should be made light of, yet they should be directed to someone who is experienced in this field who can spiritually help this couple move along.   

Again, this is my opinion, as a Christian.  I know those of you who are not Christian will more than likely be upset with me, however in the end we will all need to give an account to Jesus Christ. 

PS--the devil loses in the end. 

January 5, 2006, 8:14 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: laurie119

Regardless of one's faith or lack thereof, whether you believe in them or not, curses do exist.  Just because one doesn't believe in the existence of a spiritual realm does not mean it does not exist.  I am not sure if these people are cursed or there is a generational curse upon them and their families but what is happening to them is something they should consider very carefully.  May be, it is God trying to get their attention to wake them up or help them to wake others up.  The Word of God is LOADED with information on curses, unclean spirits, evil spirits, and how to deal with them, get rid of them, how they came to be, and how we can cause them to come upon ourselves. 

My suggestion to all the people who were on the show whether you believe in God or not is that if you truly want to get rid of what is happening or even just want some sort of understanding regarding what is happening, I suggest you find a good Bible, (and it doesn't have to be the King James Version, there are plenty of versions out there that are completely understandable that you can read; I suggest the NIV or NKJV) look in the very back of it in the concordance and look up the words, curses, spirits, mediums, etc.... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 
Amen sister!   I just emailed something similar.  I have studied this in Bible school and EVIL exists.

January 5, 2006, 8:21 am CST

I've been cured

I think I used to have some of the same problems.  It may be as Dr. Phil said (an emotional "tug-of-war"), mine was a tug-of-war of good vs. bad.  I used to have strong nightmares as a young adult and believe that I've actually had a nightmare or two (with my eyes wide open).  I have most recently (since 1988) lived in an older home (built in 1900) that on occasions, would allow me the privilege of a female apparition in the wee hours.  (I've been asked to refrain from talking about such things with visiting company). 

All that aside... I must have found a cure.  The apparitions stopped and rarely do I have nightmares anymore and if I do, I usually come out the winner.  I may have missed part of the show but I didn't hear the word "Devil" brought up, was the discussion leaning toward "possession"?   Not many people admit that they believe in a "dark side" but, in fact, do.  In  many cases simply because it may open up a conversation on religion if they professed an actual fear of demons or curses, bad Karma or whatever (and who wants to go down that road)!  I never understood why (even though I'd been looking for signs) I could always find evil in this world (the works of which are always more easily recognized) but could hardly ever find good in all the bad I was seeing.   

You "do" believe that "what goes up must come down", don't you?  Then you would probably believe the opposite of bad is good.  If you think you may have sided or have been selected for the "bad" side or that you somehow ended up on the wrong team, you just need to change the team you're on.  You don't have to be the best hitter in the ballpark to change teams, you just simply have to want to play.  You wont need a resume either.  Just make the decision to be on the other (good) team and "you're in" and believe me when I tell you, good always wins over bad.  Good created bad.  You can't have bad unless you had good first.  Good is a million times bigger and stronger than bad.  If you believe in good without having to understand fully how it good works and trust that no matter what it "just works", it will and your problems will be over.   

I've had to make a commitment to myself to remembering I'm on the good side now.  Simply put, that's what cured me.  No longer afraid of nightmares, no longer afraid of anything.  If bad wants to possess me, it's going to have to get through good first. 

...and if you're still wondering "what in the world is he talking about", simply take one "o" out of every single "good" in this message. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last