Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 10:00 am CST

religion

i am not trying to make light of the guests "problems" but i have a funny story about religion.    i got into a conversation with a woman who owns a local small shop in my town about my upcoming wedding. she asked why i was having it in my back yard with a j.o.p. and not in a church with a priest. i explained to her that i was not catholic/christian and neither was my fiance. i told her my beliefs and she claimed that since i did not believe in her god,  i was a "devil worshiper". lol. i have been going to her store for years and spoke with her often, and now she was accusing me of devil worship.   i then asked her how i could worship something i dont believe in, since the devil is a character in HER religion, not mine. duh.  talk about closed minded.

January 5, 2006, 10:20 am CST

Curses, God and the Devil

GOOD NEWS!!! Those of us who have a personal relationship with Jesus know that these things are very real and that there IS an answer. He doesn't want to see anyone tormented by the devil or evil or whatever you choose to call it. God loves us the same yesterday , today and tomorrow!  Hold fast to that promise, even when you feel there  is no hope left.  There will always be non believers who think that all this spritual Jesus stuff a little too much and it's just stories and realy not true.  That's your choice , but we'll still be praying for you!  God didn't come to earth to condemn, but to save. The woman who was exorcised as a child needs to know that this was not of God and that  she is loved and with the right counseling and good spiritual help, she's going to be just fine. We have all done things we are ashamed of, dear. If you feel you need to ask His forgiveness, just do so. God never sleeps and He is always looking for the lost sheep who wants to come home . Ask Him to come into your heart.  We are human and will continue to make mistakes. We need to ask forgiveness for our sins, but He knows the difference between a sin and a mistake.  God's grace renews everyday with the sunrise for us all. More good news!!  We have all felt unlovable at some point. We ask ourselves, " if these people I can see don't love me, how is it that someone I CAN'T see loves  me the most?"  WE are much too hard on ourselves most of the time, for starters and the truth is  God does love us more than we'll ever know. He gave his only son's life that we may live. How much love is that?   

You'll need to find a good church for spiritual guidance. Don't just pick one at random; shop around for one you feel at home in. This may take some time. Not every church is for you and remember churches are not museums of saints, they are hospitals for sinners .  God loves us no matter what we've done! He wants to walk through this life with us and be our hope and salvation. Fear is not of the Lord. Not everyday will be a good one and we all will have problems in life, believers or  not.  Life can stink sometimes; I have to go for a biopsy next week and my Dad has Alzheimer's. But, I do my best to keep my faith and always have hope that no matter what, God will be there for us!    Dr, Phil's suggestion to the lady having bad dreams was spot on! Get that crucifix up in your bedroom!  Sounds a little "hocus pocus" for most people, I know. Just take the next step by having (based on your faith) either your priest or pastor come and bless your house  and rebuking the evil out of your house in the name of Jesus. You must have faith and believe.  

Nothing evil can dwell in a place where Christ is the center and focus!  Have your self a good, old-fashioned "house cleaning" ! God Bless all! 

January 5, 2006, 10:47 am CST

Demons can target and harrass anyone

Quote From: gijanect

Amen sister!   I just emailed something similar.  I have studied this in Bible school and EVIL exists.

You're absolutely correct! I couldn't agree more.  

I also want to add that demonic forces don't focus on people of no faith. People who do believe in God and Jesus Christ also experience demonic attacks. The difference is that people who believe that Jesus Christ died in their place, died for their sins, paid that debt for them, etc., are incapable of being possessed. Both God and Satan cannot reside in the same body. I'll try to explain, in Biblical terms, why: 

I'm going to go back to Adam and Eve. Bear with me b/c this requires an explanation. Some people believe this Biblical story is allegorical, but I strongly disagree. Having studied the validity of Scripture for years, I believe the Bible is 100% accurate. I believe that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16). I understand this to mean that the whole Bible is inspired, in that holy men of God "were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:21) to write each and every word of Scripture. So, in other words, God authored the Bible. Some folks may have written it with their hands, but the words are sole property of God. It's like sitting in a courtroom and listening to the discussion while the court reporter keeps a record of every word that is stated. That's essentially what happened with the Bible. God authored it Himself, and others recorded all He wanted to say. God used specific people, who experienced specific things throughout life, to record those things along with His words. 

How do Adam and Eve play a part in who we are today? Well, just as each of us inherits our physical characteristics from our parents (eye color, hair color, etc.) we also inherit spiritual characteristics. Our spiritual characteristics originate with Adam and Eve. Those who know the Bible, are aware that Adam and Eve were created in perfect harmony with God. They walked and talked with God, and God allowed them to live in the Garden of Eden, the most beautiful place ever to exist on earth. Satan, who was cast out of God's presence in heaven, had been banished to earth. He also had access to the Garden. God gave Adam and Eve one command, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die" (Genesis 2:16-17). Well, we all know what happened next. Satan went after Eve. Satan first questioned Eve. Eve told Satan she was instructed to not eat or touch the fruit on the tree, and if she did, she would die. Satan then told Eve his first lie: "You surely will not die!" What we know about Satan is that, in serpent form, he was the most beautiful animal in the Garden. He is exceptionally crafty, and He is a liar. Satan uses these gifts to attract people today. First, he appeals to them through sin. Once he gets a hold on them (via their fleshly desires and sinful behavior), he continues to lie to them. His greatest lie of this era is that we don't need Jesus to get to heaven! It's really upsetting to me that so many people believe this lie.  

Satan's second lie Satan told Eve was "God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Lie number two...if Eve ate the fruit, she would be like God. This wasn't a bad objective, because those of us who know Jesus Christ personally want to be like Him. But, it was how she went about becoming like God. She disobeyed God's authority in order that she could become like Him through her own means, apart from God.  

The fruit took on a new appearance to Eve. It appealed to her senses in every way. Eve took the bait, believed the lie, and then she gave the fruit to Adam. Eve believed the lie that sin is good. Sin looked good. Most of us know that sin is usually fun, for a while, but then consequences of our sin come into the picture. So, not only did Eve sin, but she coerced her husband to sin. Now, Scripture tells us that they died. But, they didn't die physically right then and there, on the spot, after eating the forbidden fruit. So, what actually happened? Well, they did in fact, die. They died spiritually. They were no longer allowed to live in the Garden in God's presence. They realized for the first time that they were "naked." So, they realized they were sinful. The spiritual characteristic that Adam and Eve passed down to every person ever born is a dead spirit. We are spiritually dead at birth. It is our inheritance. We don't earn it through our own sin because we are born with it. It's our very nature, as human beings, to quench our fleshly desires and sin. Here is why Christianity is the only "religion" that relies on grace. (I WILL make my point...) Every other religion on the planet focuses on one becoming good enough to exist in the presence of God through knowledge and/or works. Christians rely solely on Jesus. Those of us who believe Christ died for us have come to the realization that we will NEVER be good enough to live in the presence of a holy God. We cannot good-work our way into heaven. If you want more information on whether or not you have sinned, and whether or not you are on your way to heaven, check out www.wayofthemaster.com and take the Introduction quiz.  

So, from a Christian's standpoint, one is born spiritually dead. In order to reconcile with God, one has to come to the understanding that he/she is sinful, by his/her very nature. And, because we are incapable of living a sinless life, we have to accept the grace God has extended to us through Himself in the form of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, according to Scripture, is God. He came to earth for the sole purpose of reconciling each and every human being to God. Jesus accomplished this by literally dying in our place. The wages of sin are death. "Spiritual death." In order that we bring our dead spirits back to life, Christ, who was sinless, died in our place. He sacrificed Himself for us, took all our sin on Himself, died in our place, and in return, gave His spirit to us. Those of us who believe this, and believe Christ died in our place, died for us, receive Him. Our dead spirit is replaced by Jesus' life. That is why Scripture tells us that Jesus is the "way, the truth, and the life" and that no man will ever come to the Father (God the Father) except through Christ. Because no man can get to God without Christ, Scripture tells us that if we refuse to accept Jesus Christ, then God will refuse us. God sacrificed His Son so that we might be reconciled to Him. If we refuse that gift, we refuse God. And, if we refuse God, then we are freely choosing to live without God throughout eternity. We have two choices: accept Jesus' death as full payment for our sins so that we can live eternally in God's presence; or, refuse Jesus' gifts of forgiveness and life. God doesn't send people to hell. People choose of their own free will to go there. 

Now, to make my point. If a person believes in Jesus Christ, their dead spirit is replaced by the very life of Christ. So, if they have that life, and the Holy Spirit resides in them, they cannot also be filled with a demon. Both God and Satan cannot reside in the same body. Satan can tempt, pursue, pressure, and harrass a believer in Christ, but Satan cannot "possess" that person because the Holy Spirit and Life of Christ already possess him/her.  

January 5, 2006, 11:09 am CST

Clarifying

Quote From: liatsunami

Well the whole conversation about Paganism and Wicca got started because someone said they  studied it, and I was just tryign to get across they better be careful what they read, because a lot of it is pure JUNK.  It's written by people with NO understanding of anthropology or history. Now, I will say that some of the literature on Wicca and Paganism is insightful, but again most of it is garbage.

Now the fact that you can tell me what you believe and why explains to me that, "Okay, this person is actually following this particualr spiritual path legitimately"  but of all the people I  meet, you're in the minority hun, and good gor you. :)

You'll also find that MOST of the world's religions  have the same theme "Don't be a jerk to other people." and  "You'll get what you deserve in the end". 
Thank you for responding and clarifing your post.  I agree that a person should be careful what they read because there are some books out there that are not accurate and that is why I am very careful when I choose to purchase a book.  I'm sorry if my post was a little forward, I just want people to understand that Paganism is a legitimate religion and we are not devil worshippers.  How can we be when he is not part of our culture?  There is evil and there is good, I do believe in that, you cannot have one without the other.  "You'll get what you deserve in the end" is also something I believe, it is called Karma.  An'  ye harm none, do what ye will.

January 5, 2006, 11:20 am CST

Wow!

Quote From: brobby

i am not trying to make light of the guests "problems" but i have a funny story about religion.    i got into a conversation with a woman who owns a local small shop in my town about my upcoming wedding. she asked why i was having it in my back yard with a j.o.p. and not in a church with a priest. i explained to her that i was not catholic/christian and neither was my fiance. i told her my beliefs and she claimed that since i did not believe in her god,  i was a "devil worshiper". lol. i have been going to her store for years and spoke with her often, and now she was accusing me of devil worship.   i then asked her how i could worship something i dont believe in, since the devil is a character in HER religion, not mine. duh.  talk about closed minded.

I'm not sure what religion this woman practices, nor am I certain about yours. What I want to suggest to you today is that the Bible doesn't endorse "religion" either. In fact, the Bible endorses "relationship."  

I'm also not sure how you acquired your personal beliefs. It's definitely your choice. I am so sorry and sympathetic to you because the woman who calls you a devil worshipper is really approaching you in a negative way. You seem like a very intelligent and research-minded person, based on your open-mindedness. You might find a resource called "Why I Believe" really interesting. 60% of the information presented is based on secular research (research conducted by non-Christians who do not practice any religious beliefs). You can check it out online at www.lote.org and search for Why I Believe. If anything, this resource would give you in-depth information about the Bible, it's origin, it's accuracy, and why so many people put their faith in Jesus Christ. I hope you'll check it out sometime, when you want to truly understand why Christians believe what they believe.  

As for me, I apologize for this woman's attitude. The Bible says in Romans 6:17 that all men (and women) are slaves to sin, and therefore, are owned by that sin. Sin, in the Bible, is personified. It's primarily used as a noun (only a handful of times it's actually used in verb form). So, from her perspective, she sees you as one who chooses to follow the devil. I know you don't believe in the Bible or the devil, but I would ask if you have actually read or studied it in any detail?  

The Scripture that this woman is referring to is actually there. From a Biblical standpoint, we are part of two families (two lineages). One is Adam's (Adam and Eve) and the other is Jesus Christ. We are all born out of Adam's lineage. And, according to Scripture, we are slaves to sin, a.ka.: Satan. So, from that frame of mind, one is either reconciled to God through Jesus Christ and adopted into God's family, or one remains in Satan's family. There is no in-between according to Scripture. It's either from God, or from Satan.  

I think she probably reacted harshly with her words out of her own fear for you. To Christians, we worry that others do not know the truth, and not knowing and accepting the truth is the absolute worst thing that can happen to someone. I'm not going to argue with you about your beliefs, or try to persuade you to believe mine! : ) What I would like you to do, is consider obtaining some really sound information, like the resource I suggested, that presents both sides (Christian vs. Non-Christian), and then conclude that you do not believe in the God of the Bible. I don't know if you have continuously encountered these personalities (like this woman who insulted you) throughout your life, and that has convinced you that the Bible and Jesus Christ/Christianity is not for you,  if you did some research, or if you just came to that conclusion through other means and experiences. Just consider, with your common-sense and open mind, that what if you were actually wrong about the Bible, and God? You have to put the woman out of your mind and all bias and feelings aside, ask yourself that question. I had to ponder over that question, and I came to the personal realization that if I were wrong, if God DID exist, and if Jesus truly died for me, my eternity could be at stake.  

I didn't believe in God either, until I truly began researching Scripture and it's origin, among other things. The "Why I Believe" series by Chip Ingram is the best information I have found, to date, that answered some of my questions in layman's terms. You can also go to a website called www.wayofthemaster.com and go through the Intro there. I'm sure you'll recognize a popular 80's actor who helped found the site. Anyway, he poses some really good questions that I think all of us should at the very least consider. 

Many blessings, and again, I regret that this woman used those terms when she approached you. At the very least, had you been equipped with sound information about Scripture, you could have truly put a sock in her condemning mouth! : ) If she was out to witness to you, she didn't do a very stand-up job!! Rest assured, not all people of faith will react this way to your beliefs! 

January 5, 2006, 11:48 am CST

I believe

I have seen demons since I was a little little girl.  I completely believe in them.  They do possess people, it's in the Bible, why would it only happen in Biblical times?, it wouldn't.  It does say in the Bible and this is by no means a quote, that if you do not keep your house clean they will come in, if you send them out and you do not keep your house clean they come back 10x more.  Speaking in tongues is in the Bible.  My grandmother speaks in tongues when she prays and doesn't even realize she is doing it.  It is a gift given by the Almighty Himself.  Do I believe in curses, when it comes to demons yes - walking under ladders, breaking a mirrow etc, no I do not. 

January 5, 2006, 11:58 am CST

On a Lighter Note.......

Thanks to all the caring individuals who took the time to post quite a bit of information to help to educate us all.  Especially, Dr. Phil for having the courage to bring such a sensitive subject to light.  What would we do without people like him?    For me personally, it's important to know that the goodness in life exists to our benefit because we are all important and loved, rather than to run to it in fear of curses and demons or going to Hell.   I choose God in my life because it has helped me to make more thoughtful choices.  I has benefitted me greatly to humble myself enough to say that there is something more powerful and greater than I and I need that in my life.  I can honestly say that while bad things still happen in the world, I now know that everything that I do and say, no matter who I am in the world, matters and can be a good force or a bad one.  The one thing that I would like to say to anyone who is troubled for any reason is that there is alot of good out there and there are people that care about you and want you to find peace even if they don't know you personally.  There are prayers out there everywhere for your well being.  Think about that before you fall asleep tonight.   

January 5, 2006, 12:05 pm CST

Very Helpful

Quote From: cooper11

There is good and evil in this world. There is a God and there is the devil. There is only one true God. He is the God of this universe and he is the father of Jesus Christ. God and the devil are not equals for God also created the devil. The devil used to be an angel of the Lord, Lucifer. Lucifer was given a will with free moral choice. He chose to do evil and rebel against God. He was cast out of Heaven to only reside in Earth or Hell. When Lucifer was cast out of Heaven he brought 1/3 of the other angels with him. These other angels are now the evil spirits and demons of our world. Satan is the leader of these demons and these invisible supernatural beings have power directed toward evil works of darkness. Satan is ruling the earth today, not only over the evil spirits, but also over evil men who choose to rebel against God, like he did. Those who do not know God or the devil become victims of Satan's devices. The word "know" means choosing to follow and dedicating your life to. The word "know" does not simply mean to be aware of or to just simply believe in. For even the devil believes in God. But to know God means to have a personal relationship with Him. Those that have a personal relationship with God by making a verbal confession of faith in Jesus Christ (who died on the cross to save humans from their sin) then have the power to pray for deliverence. This means out loud commanding the demons to go in the name of Jesus. If someone does not have a personal relationship with God, by way of confessing their sins and accepting Jesus to rule their life, than they do not have the power to command demons to leave in the name of Jesus. When a person has made a confession of faith that means they have had a heart change. God loves us. He loves us so much that he sent his son Jesus Christ to die on the cross, and rise from the dead to save us from our sin. When Jesus died he was the ultimate sacrifice and he rose and defeated death. So if we truly believe in God and his son and ask him to fill our heart and rule our lives than we are filled with the spirit of God. This spirit of God is what gives us the power to command demons to leave in the name of Jesus. For God has already defeated the devil. He is stronger and more powerful than the devil. All people on this earth have the choice to "know" God or to not. If you choose to NOT "know" God than satan has power over you. This does not mean that he will make himself evident to you or terrorize you, but it means that when you die you will go to hell with him. If you choose to "know" God, that means a sincere heart change, than you have power over the devil. Now this does not mean that the devil will or will not make himself evident to you, but it does mean that you are able to rebuke him in the name of Jesus. This also means that when you die you will go to Heaven to be with your savior, Jesus.  

This is just an insight into who God and the devil are. There is so much more people need to know. A good website to visit that can answer questions or just give you more information is  

www.bible.com take the link on the side to Bible Answers to find topis such as  

Biblical Information Christian Living Church Issues End Times Family/Relationships
Finances God/Jesus Health Holidays News Events Prayer and Fasting
Salvation/Heaven Social/Cultural Issues Spiritual Warfare/Demons   I hope this is helpful to everyone who reads.

I think that your post is very well written and informative.  It also seems to be based on Religious material vs. personal opinion.   Thanks also for the website recommendation.  I'll be sure to check it out!

January 5, 2006, 12:35 pm CST

do witches exist

As a practicing pagan....i can wholeheartly say yes we exist. I am not a Wiccan, there is a differnce which I choose not to get into at this time. However I can say for one person to say we do not exist is completely wrong........whomever that person is. I do not critize any other religion....nor do I need saved. I respect which ever path it is that you choose to follow, all I as of others is to respect the fact that I chose a path that fits me the best. Spiritualism, Paganism, Wicca, and those types of religions are the fastest growing religions in the entire world. Please.....before you start dismissing an entire section of the worlds population out of hand just because you WISH we didn't exist, do some research and homework first. As you know, you have to give an email address to registar here.......I there by challenge any of Dr Phil's staff or Dr Phil himself to explain to my why I don't exist. 

Morighan 

January 5, 2006, 12:42 pm CST

Are You Cursed?

I am so happy that Dr. Phil is having an insightful show about possession and exorcism. I just hope it's based in fairness and balance. This is a well needed topic to be discussed and has much more frequent occurences than one would certainly realize until seeing the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".  That movie has REALLY opened my eyes about things we don't normally think are possible. I believe this is for real and as for Bob Larson's interview I can say with certainty that he is a man of integrity who is helping an awful lot of people to be set free. If my memory serves me right, he's performed over 5000 exorcisms. Not only him, but many priests in Mexico are assisiting in thousands of exorcisms per day! Evil is alive and well on planet earth and it's time we opened our eyes to see it and stop being blinded by the media. Our nation is trying to take God out of everything and who do you think is replacing God? No one other than Satan. Whether or not you believe in Hell or an afterlife doesn't change the fact that's it's real and true. Is it really worth risking your eternal soul on? Our country used to be based on biblical principles and we used to have a standard of living based on the ten commandments ... but oh how far we have moved away from anything holy, righteous and just. I for one, am standing in the gap for our nation and asking God to not remove his hand from our country. Satan is real and his demons are real. Read Ezekiel 28:13-19 as well as Isaiah 14:12-17. It explains the fall of Lucifer (AKA Satan). When Lucifer fell from heaven he took one third of the heavenly host (AKA ANGELS) with him. The third that used to be angels are now defiled demons and slaves to Satan, their new master. They are looking for a place to dwell till the Great Day of God happens during Jesus Christ's second coming when Satan and his demons are destroyed once and for all in the Lake of Fire and brimstone talked about in the book of Revelation. My advice would be to pick up a bible and begin reading it because it is the inspired true word of God.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last