Message Boards

Topic : 01/06 No More Excuses With Star Jones

Number of Replies: 64
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:07:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you know someone who has every excuse in the book for why they can't get it together? Along with Star Jones Reynolds from The View, Dr. Phil challenges his guests to take charge of their lives. Marchelle says her life has been a rollercoaster ride for the last 18 years. She studies Dr. Phil's advice but can’t seem to get it quite right. Find out what Dr. Phil has in store for her. Then, Deann refuses to be in a relationship until she has zero debt. She says she has a lot of great qualities, but her finances are making her unattractive. Plus, Chris says her macho military look scares men away. Her daily attire is fit for the battlefield: baggy clothes, no makeup and she doesn’t do her hair. Dr. Phil uncovers what's really keeping her from dating. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 16, 2006, 12:41 pm CST

Re: Battlefield Blues

Dear Dr Phil and Star, 

I saw the episode on January 6th, 2006, and could not help but wonder about the turn of events that surrounded the Battlefield Blues segment.  The make-over was wonderful for Chris and seemed to boost her spirits to get her ready for the dating scene.  The issue that has been nagging me is that she mentions that her mother is the one who seems to be pressing for her to be married and have children.  That was not addressed and I have wondered why.  I personally think that she has to want those things for herself and that she should not be expected to fufill someone else's idea of who she should be or what she should be doing with her life.  It almost seems as if she is acting on her mother's wishes more than her own desires.  I understand that families are important, but it is very important to build that on your own wants, needs, and expectations, otherwise a person may not be happy with the end result because it wasn't what they really wanted. 

January 16, 2006, 8:04 pm CST

Find Yourself

Quote From: cappy5102

I hear what Star Jones says, and I want so desperately to have her courage and conviction, but not everyone has freinds and family for support and encouragement.  I, myself am in this situation.  I want so much to change my life physically, emotionally, financially, and mostly spiritually.  God knows I NEED to.  I feel I'm dying inside and out everyday.  Unfortunatelly,  I have  no one there for me to help, incourage, or support.   So my question is this...what do people like me, who don't have this do when they want to change their life?  Nobody can make it alone.  Nobody. 

I know where you are right now, I have been there and to some degree still am myself.  I won't detract from your story to tell mine, I just would like you to know you are not alone.  It is not very hard to make excuses when you feel like no one cares, remember there is more strength and hope when you learn you can help yourself (The reward is much greater) and don't depend on others to help, just be grateful when they can and do.  Please find a group online who can give you some support. I did and it is helpful, especially during the stages when I cannot bring myself to go out in public.  My group would not be one for your case, otherwise I would give you the name to mine.  I am so sorry to hear about your husband and wish you much courage to step forward positively with your life, because heaven knows you need it.  Take good care of yourself no matter how hard it is to do. 

January 16, 2006, 8:11 pm CST

Mobile Home

Quote From: theark1

On the show with Star Jones you told a woman to sell her mobile home as a resolution to her relationship probelms. What's wrong with mobile homes? When our home burned to the ground in 1994 all we could afford to replace it with was a mobile. And we are still living in it. So again, what is wrong with mobile homes?
I believe in the show it was mentioned that the mobile home was on or near the property that the house that burned down was on.  I also believe that the topic had been to sell the property and move elsewhere to get away from the memories and be able to move forward.  It had nothing to do with the fact that she lived in a mobile home nor was there any shame attached to the fact she was living in the mobile home.

January 17, 2006, 11:46 am CST

Bravo

Quote From: moonglow38

I am a single parent...and converative...I DO NOT want to "look sexy" to get THOSE kind of men...:(  geewise Dr. Phil...why can't you and the others on your show push women to simply look attractive...and not have them 'sell their bodies'.  This sexy junk only attractive slimy men that then just want to sleep with them and dump them... 

Women have lost their self respect in this way by having to "sell their bodies" to get a man to look at them.  I would rather remain unmarried the rest of my life then fend off men like that!!  Believe me I have done the 'sexy look' and know what kind of men it attraches...:(  I ended up marrying a horrible man because I had no self respect...and now have been single for a number of years..and not looking!  I LOVE being single! I do not need a man to make me happy. 

I honestly don't know why a woman can't be happy without a man...but that is another subject for another show I suppose.  Its just sad that this type of focus is on your show more and more.  I don't see anyone pushing loney single men to 'look sexy' to attract women...in which they too would just attract the wrong kind of woman too actually. 

Doing hair and the makeup and nice clothes is ok....but lets leave the cleveage out...the women would like a man to actually make eye contact rather then staring at her cleveage while making small talk....makes you just wanted slug the guy that is for sure!  But then what can a woman expect with half her breast showing like that! geez.  

If I was looking for a man, I would want one that loved me for who I am, and not how much of my body is being flashed around...blah on that! 

Julie 

Julie, 

Yes, Julie, I believe you are right.  I have noticed the same thing about men, when I dress sexy I seem to attract the undesirables, and I receive unwanted attention.  No need for them!!  A little while ago there was a show ( I don't remember which) that touched on the new models that are coming out.  Ordinary women, not supermodels, are modeling now and what I found very refreshing was that a lot of the men they asked opinions of said they actually liked what they saw, and one went as far as to say something along the lines of wanting to see more women like that modeling because it is more realistic.  You don't have to be single, because there are men out there that have those same values as you and I, it's just more difficult to find them.  I do not want a man in my life who wants me around for a trophy, those men are not they type of people who have the moral fiber that I feel is required in my life and are not mate material. 

Donna 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page