Message Boards

Topic : 03/22 Living on the Edge

Number of Replies: 420
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 06, 2006, 01:45:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 01/11/06) She used to have it all: A husband, a beautiful home, a great job and many friends. But a crippling alcohol addiction for the past 10 years has turned Lisa’s dream life into a nightmare. One step away from being homeless, Lisa trades sexual favors for alcohol just to get through the day. Joani, a recovering addict who's been trying to help, records Lisa's debilitating addiction and the disturbing symptoms of withdrawal when she tries to go without a drink. Lisa has failed in rehab three times and is ready to give up on life. Can Dr. Phil convince her to give it one more try? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 6, 2006, 3:17 pm CDT

Don't stop now

Lisa, 

I was really moved by this show and wanted to let you know that you can actually do this. So this might not be your first attempt at kicking the habit, but it comes down to understanding that its not about attempts as such, its a process. The process of becoming you again, but a better, more improved you, is long term and although you want it to change immediately, just be patient and keep going through the steps. Baby steps is all it takes and yes you will get there. You have alot of strength in you so don't let this beat you. You can do it, and you're too lovely not to! 

July 21, 2006, 1:42 pm CDT

Worried what will happen when i graduate?

Dr. Phil I am very worried what will happen when i get out of college,(i'll be  51 yrs old when i graduate may 07). I have been on a VA Pension ($881.00 Mo.). I have over $30,000 in student loans to repay and need a new vehicle to boot. Am I going to be able to find a J O B  when i get out of school? Will employers think i am too old to hire? What about my Health problems? will i be able to get Insurance? Am i just doomed to go down in smoke. Die a Pauper? Thats not what i want? I Feel like i have about 10-15 good yrs left to work hopefully, and by then maybe have a nest egg saved up.  

I Also have a girlfriend who has never lived away from her parents more than a few miles, I live across the state 4 hrs away. He Dad isn't in very good health and when she is here she spends more time worrying about them than anything else. All her children live close to grandparents or with them!All our arguements are over them or money! She is on Disability as well. She has to take a shot that cost $3200.00 a month for her Arthuritis. If it wasn't for the VA meds i get i couldn't afford my meds either.hers are covered by Medicare?or medicaid. 

Help me Dr. Phil ! 

August 2, 2006, 11:26 am CDT

Hope you're doing well, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I don't know if you check the message boards but hopefully you will see this.  I was wondering how you're doing.  Do you remember me?  I met you at LaHa.  I didn't know how else to get a hold of you other than this...I think my email address is posted   alisonhutchens@hotmail.com  Hope you're doing well.

Talk to you soon,

Alison

September 8, 2006, 3:41 am CDT

I Have Been There

I just watched this show this morning and it really hit home for me. I too was an alcoholic and it nearly destroyed my life. I ended up going with men for vodka and sleeping around to get money for it. My addiction landed me in hospital numerous times with a bleeding in my stomach. I have also been in Rehab three times and in Jail two times due to drunken behaviour. I really hope that everyone who posted in this thread is well and strong enough to stay away from alcohol because it will only drag you down.

I used to believe that my drinking helped me to stay calm and relaxed, but all it did was drive me crazy and make me do things I would never usually do. Waking up each morning became a nightmare for me because I was filled with fear at not knowing what I had said or done the night before. I was always worried that I had been seen by the people of the town getting into cars with strange men that I had met online and arranged to have sex for alcohol with. It was the most depressing stage of my life. I no longer drink and I can wake up each morning knowing that I did nothing to harm anyone.

I just want to say that I think you are all wonderful people who deserve praise and happiness for beating your addictions. Stay safe and well.

September 17, 2006, 4:35 am CDT

How is Lisa

Please Dr Phil have an update on Lisa.I lost my Daughter at age 41,the grief is unbearable,so i pray that Lisa Makes it.Thank you

February 7, 2007, 7:18 pm CST

Re: your show on Lisa

Hi Lisa

I am hoping that you were able to seek the assistance you needed to turn your life around.  I think you are a very strong and brave lady for appearing on national television to ask for help.  People always told me that asking for help was the hardest part, I found this to be true and I hope you do too, I wish you all the very best and lots of happiness and love.

February 21, 2008, 3:45 am CST

Was there a follow up or update show on this?

Quote From: touched07

Hi Lisa

I am hoping that you were able to seek the assistance you needed to turn your life around.  I think you are a very strong and brave lady for appearing on national television to ask for help.  People always told me that asking for help was the hardest part, I found this to be true and I hope you do too, I wish you all the very best and lots of happiness and love.

I would like to know also.

April 1, 2008, 6:13 pm CDT

Would love to know What Happaned

I just watched this show about Lisa and was deeply touched by her story. As it has been over two years since this show. what happened to Lisa did she sort out her life. Would love for DR PHIL to do a follow up on her if he has not done one already. I sincerly hope that she sorted her life out.

July 2, 2009, 9:21 am CDT

03/22 Living on the Edge

I saw the show and think about Lisa I was wondering how she is doing now, I know it is a long hard process to recovery but I think it is all worth it. My heart goes out to you.

July 2, 2009, 9:25 am CDT

03/22 Living on the Edge

Quote From: pickies

I just watched this show about Lisa and was deeply touched by her story. As it has been over two years since this show. what happened to Lisa did she sort out her life. Would love for DR PHIL to do a follow up on her if he has not done one already. I sincerly hope that she sorted her life out.
 I also would love to know how Lisa is doing. Has a follow up show been done??

First | Prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next Page | Last Page