Message Boards

Topic : 01/16 Honeymoon's Over Follow-up

Number of Replies: 191
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 13, 2006, 02:16:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

They’re newlyweds, married only a short time, and already they're headed for divorce court. First, Michelle says she's not the only woman in her marriage. Her husband, Matthew, has many female friends whom she has never met. Should he give them up or did she make a promise she can't keep? Then, when Marlon and Shamika first appeared on the show, they were eight months newly wed and were on the verge of becoming newly divorced because of their constant fighting. Did they put Dr. Phil's advice to work and have things changed? Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 16, 2006, 1:28 pm CST

Amazed by selfishness

Dear Dr.Phil, 

I thought both Marlon and Shamika would have changed since appearing on your show before.You gave them the tools to work with,yet it seems Marlon was the only one paying attention.I would love to have a man like Marlon for no one is perfect ,but he is worth taking home.Some women just don't know how good they have it. 

Where is this woman's mind at? I have never seen such a petty,selfish,and demanding woman in my entire life.She could only say he was a good provider and takes care of their children. Hello he loves you fool,and is has made many changes to make you happy.Despite all his attempts your still not happy?The problem is not with Marlon sweetheart!Look in the mirror if you want to see where the blame truly lies. 

You are to young to be a"DIVA",and trust me when I say that your not perfect.You better check the woman within you,and ask yourself "What am I doing wrong?"Maybe I am being to demanding". 

Dr.Phil if things do not work out with Marlon tell him there is a wonderful woman in Canada ready to keep it real,and treat him the way he deserves to be treated. 

Sincerely yours 

Angela 

January 16, 2006, 1:35 pm CST

michelle and matthew

This is to the response about Michelle and not liking Matthew have female friends.  She is very unsure about herself or this would not make a difference to her. My husband and I have ever in the whole 16 years felt our marriage is in trouble over him or me talking to the opposite sex.He has a friend that he calls his ex-wife and my cousin is now called his mistress. He is a truck driver and I would have the perfect chance to see another guy if  I want. That is not the way things are suppose to be with people that you love and trust. You should only marry the other person if you trust them not just for sex.. 

Lisa 

Danville,il. 

January 16, 2006, 1:39 pm CST

Shamika and Marlon can make it

I usually do not get a chance to watch Dr. Phil, but today I was able to watch and thought I was seeing my life for a moment.  Although my husband and I dated for a much longer time (8 1/2 years), I found the words coming from Marlon identical to my husband's at one time.  He has said that he's happy when I am happy. Yes, I admit that I was the constant complainer!  Emphasis on the verb "WAS". 

Shamika, I hope, will stop and truly look at what Marlon is sacrificing for their marriage, and vice versa for Marlon.  I did not learn this lesson overnight, but begin to focus on the positive things that you do and compliment and comment on those things.  Many of the issues stated are trivial(ie. checking accounts), and as time passes, you will see that.  I have learn to not stress over the simple things.  Place your energies in lifting each other up to their utmost potentials.  Marlon, in creating and running a successful business, and Shamika in being a working mom. (neither are easy tasks!) 

Dating as long as we did, my husband and I got to know one another's quirks REAL well.  That doesn't make marriage any easier, but I do tend to stop now and appreciate the man I have.   

I commend you both on expressing your issues on television.  Now take some time to work with the relationship you have.  I agree with Dr. Phil that your relationship can make it.  My husband and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary this year.  I have no doubt that Shamika and Marlon will be doing the same, one day  with each other! 

January 16, 2006, 1:42 pm CST

HoneyMoon's the first couple

Hello Dr. Phil, I always tape your show and watch it when I come home. However, I happen to be off today(1/17/06) and was watching your show about honeymoon's.  I about lost my mind when I heard the first couple talking about not wanting her husband to have female friends. I have to totally disagree with her about that. My husband has several female friends and I don't mind, the reason I don't mind is because I am totally secure in my relationship and if a female can take my husband from me good luck. I mean, I have male friends that I am very close to.  After 7 years he finally met one. I talk to my male friends because I don't have female friends because females and I don't get along with.  I think she is wrong and needs to get her self-esteem together and back off her husband. Only if you are not sure about yourself you would have a problem.  I had to respond, I could not even lay in my bed without responding.  He needs to keep his friends.

January 16, 2006, 1:45 pm CST

shame on shamika

I don't think there is anyway for Marlon to make Shamika happy.  I don't think she loves him, I think she only wants for herself.  To sit there and list the things that he's doing right and none of them are what he's doing for HER.......it's me, me, me, that's all she's thinking about.  And yeah, why is she working midnights if her prior chief complaint was "he's not home enough to spend time with me!!"  She needs to give of herself to him and from what I see, she just wants to take.  She doesn't blink an eye before she criticizes him......you gotta give to get.

January 16, 2006, 1:45 pm CST

I wish I was in her shoes!!!!

My boyfriend is like Shamika and I am like Marlin.  So I know how he feels.  This woman cannot know what she has.  Dr. Phil talk some sense into her not him. 

January 16, 2006, 1:47 pm CST

what a shame

What a shame...Shamika should be ashamed of herself.  She doesn't seem to be happy with anything Marlon does.  Does she know how lucky she is?  To find a man who is willing to change to please her, when he really doesn't have any obvious reasons to NEED to change, and then she's unhappy still?  She talks about being treated as an equal, but then wants to be put on a pedestal...make up your mind.  Either you are a partner in the relationship, willing to treat Marlon as good as he deserves...or get out.  Myself and MANY MANY MANY other women would love an opportunity to meet a man like him.  What is up with taking a job that gets her out of the house overnight???  Where is the romantic time going to come in at?  What a shame.

January 16, 2006, 1:49 pm CST

This is a spoiled woman for sure

Marlon is trying so hard and Shamika just sits there like a cold fish on a throne.  I see no affection from her AT ALL.  She acts like he should be her emotional slave.  She needs to get the fact that SHE plays a huge roll in this too.  I am thinking she will never be pleased.  Sorry Shamika, but that is how you came across.  Like you are a princess and he is the pea under your mattress. 

January 16, 2006, 1:51 pm CST

spoiled!!

I believe Shamika is spoiled and needs to learn gratitude attitude. Just looking at Martin's face on the show she has really hurt and confused this poor man. She needs to stop thinking how he can make her happy and begin to think of things to make HIM happy!

January 16, 2006, 1:56 pm CST

Friends not the problem

Quote From: fostrfamly

This is to the response about Michelle and not liking Matthew have female friends.  She is very unsure about herself or this would not make a difference to her. My husband and I have ever in the whole 16 years felt our marriage is in trouble over him or me talking to the opposite sex.He has a friend that he calls his ex-wife and my cousin is now called his mistress. He is a truck driver and I would have the perfect chance to see another guy if  I want. That is not the way things are suppose to be with people that you love and trust. You should only marry the other person if you trust them not just for sex.. 

Lisa 

Danville,il. 

Him having female friends is not the problem.  The problem she has with it is the fact that none of them, for one reason or another, have ever come to her house or made an effort to meet her.  I have male friends and my husband has female friends, but they are a part of both of our lives, they aren't just "his" friends, or "my" friends.  If he had one or five female friends that wouldn't meet me, then I would be putting my foot down.  Especially if the excuse was they didn't have time, but they had time to meet with him.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last