Message Boards

Topic : 01/17 Extreme Disorders

Number of Replies: 1019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 13, 2006, 02:18:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Does your child rage, scream and kick doors? Is his or her behavior the typical brattiness of a spoiled child, or involuntary behavior beyond the child's control? Dr. Phil sheds light on a pair of widely misunderstood extreme neurological disorders. First, he looks at Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism which can cause a person to lack control over his or her emotions, including anger. Rich and Karen's 15-year-old son, Alex, was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 6. His sudden fits of rage and erratic behavior have put a strain on his whole family. Should his parents be afraid of Alex, or is there something they can do to bring his behavior under control? Plus, Craig, 37, can't control his physical tics, nor can he keep from constantly uttering obscenities, literally hundreds of times a day. Craig suffers from Tourette syndrome, an affliction that's gotten so bad, he won't go into grocery stores, movie theatres or any public place for fear he'll be kicked out. What will the disorder mean for his plans to start a family? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 2, 2007, 11:18 am CST

Asperger's disorder

My son will be 18 in 3 months and has Asperger's disorder, OCD and a schizo-affective disorder (let's just say it's like schizophrenia).  Every since he started going through puberty, our lives have progressively gotten worse.  Last year he spent 8 months in the teen psychiatric ward of the hospital.  He was admitted for a 2 to 3 week evaluation as he appeared depressed before and following the death of my father (his maternal grandfather, from multiple myeloma).  He ended up staying 8 months and this was  roller-coaster.  He is now on meds for schizophrenia (clozaril) and is doing better.  Mostly I think he is doing better because of us his parents.  Psychiatrists are slightly less in the dark about mental illnesses than us but we know our child best and can provide valuable input into diagnosis and treatments.  Please let me know how you have dealt with your children's problems.  Thanks,

Christine

April 23, 2007, 1:12 pm CDT

re: middle age woman with Aspergers

Quote From: spitfireca

I am a middle aged woman with Aspergers (or AS as we call it). I have a university degree and am happily married to a wonderful 'normal' man. (Normal meaning he doesn't have AS/Aspergers).  

I was not out of control as a child nor am I now. I am more fiesty because I have to be to live in a world where people are not sensitive to me and those like me. I have lost jobs and friends due to thier quick judgements. So I have since throw my hands up in the air and went into something for myself.  

I have two kids, the eldest with AS. He is very shy and prone to panic attacks. He is not on meds at this moment but maybe by the end of the month once he sees his dr. We have started on alternative medicine for him and he is holding up. He is not angery or unkind but very senisite to the world around him. Luckily he has two very good boys who have befriended him. He is intellingent and very wise for his age. I fear for his future because of how he is treated and viewed.  

AS people have dealt with alot of hostilty by the world> It is not visable nor is it 'contagious'. It just is. Period. We can do amny things with our talents. Now the world should let us shine and stop treating us like we are inferior. Drugs may help us but only we can help ourselves. With the love and support of others , such as friends, and family. 

C. Cross 

There is an odd connection between AS and intelligence.  AS and depression are common elements in the highly intelligent.  Wish I knew why.  I always wondered why I was so "different".  As a child, all the other kids beat me up, stole my books, hit me and called me names.  I never responded.  When I got in my mid-thirties, that extreme pasifict went to extreme anger.  Seems to be no middle ground.  Now that I know that Aspies think different, think in pictures and often in terms of black or white, the world makes a little more sense because I understand me a little more.

I try to avoid conflict by avoiding people.  Maybe not the best choice of action should I really need to be social, but then, I don't care.  I do like me and my company better than anyone else, anyway. 

We all deal with our stress and strain differently, luckily for me, solitude is a voyage I truly enjoy.

I too am well educated, have children and work.  I think in terms of "what if's" often, and then picture of play of video of possible outcomes.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with a good working knowledge of our personal dvd players we have in our heads.  The world would not be as good as it is were it not for those great pioneers that thought things through in pictures and reels of film.  Many a great person was believed to be Aspie.  Proud to be Aspie?  You betcha'!!

Afterall, life is what we make it.  And mine is perfect for me!

May 20, 2007, 12:57 pm CDT

adult asperger's

Quote From: karen_kiki

thanks for your comments 

today is just another day in the life of an Asperger Parent 

Please know that the Dr. Phil show took our story and created a show but Alex does have Asperger's, ADHD, Mood Swing Disorders as well anxiety. 

Whatever the story line the we need to find answers and treatment for our children. 

Support for the family is needed and there is not enough support in our community or many of the other communities that people have written me from 

Autism needs recognition and I will continue to work to make this happen for Alex and others. 

Keep sharing information with us and others. 

We need to work together. 

Thanks, Karen 

I was in a two year relationship with an aspie, undiagnosed by professionals because although he admitted to most of the characteristics, he didn't see it as a problem for HIM.  It is almost completely unoticeable to casual friends or coworkers other than his being a little eccentric.  He is very good looking, intelligent, soft-spoken, hard-working/focused, helpful, and passive--all qualities that might be admired as an employee or an acquaintance.  He is also completely unable to give any validation, emotional support, empathy, or encouragement, or to bond or respond emotionally:  There was no (two-way) emotional intimacy.  He would talk about things that bothered him and receive support from me, then when I needed reciprocation, he would respond with critisism, withdrawal and accustions of being over-emotional--a very strange double standard that he was totally unaware of and unable to see.  He would regularly accuse me of having motives or doing things I wasn't doing (misinterpretation), and completely ignore or minimize the many loving gestures I gave him (clueless).  It was completely frustrating and emotionally draining--and the worst part was how alone I was after--no one could really understand.  You're right, there's a ton of misinformation out there--even his aunt who is a psychologist (with a master's degree I believe?) called asperger's a "disease".  One funny example of this is the supposed "aspie" lawyer on Boston Legal--he actually seems to have Tourette's to me!

Anyway, what has truly helped me is continually reading new info on the websites you posted and books for partners of adult aspies:   Asperger's Syndrome in Adults... Is Anyone Listening? (Karen E. Rodman-FAAAS Inc.) and Aspergers in Love (Maxine Aston) are two of them.  My heartfelt sympathy to anyone else who is feeling the pain, blame (from him), and finally self-blame I experienced.  It takes a long time to see the truth, let go and heal, especially without support--better to do it sooner than later--you will get no where trying to help with this unless the person goes for help himself.  Even then, you'll still have a partner unable to reciprocate emotionally who now has some awareness and training to "go through the motions".

Kath

April 18, 2008, 7:57 pm CDT

Any Advice?

Karen,

I know it's been a long time since the show, but I just now ran across it. I was wondering if you have ever gotten any help for Alex.  My son, also Alex, has severe temper tantrams. I believe he may also have AS.  He has been through so many doctors and therapists, but things are still not right. Please let me know if there is any advice you could give me or if you just need someone to chat with about a similar issue.

Helen

April 27, 2008, 8:05 pm CDT

autism/odd/adhd - i am losing it!!

I have a 10 yr old child with autism that doent talk at all - we have our phone with us daily because he has the tendency to run off from school (or daycare) with out a notice and loves to play in the water, and doesnt  know how to swim.  He is my easy child.

My 12 yr old is in all the advanced classes, but has no socials skills to speak of at all.  He has been suspeneded from school atleast 5 times so far this year, been asked to leave and not come back in atleast 8 neighborhood homes, has no concept of reality, can not handle diversion of anykind, has threatened to kill himself and others, loves attention, but thinks he is never wrong, lies straight to your face, overly defiant, hateful, disrespectful to everyone, has no friends, is multi-talented, but doesnt know how to take coaching of any kind, over-dramatic in all levels (but the drama teacher loves him, go figure!), has run off 18 different babysitters that we have hired because his brother is not able to go to a normal day care. 

His dad has the tendencies to be very negative, and overly angry, when my son is in his difiant mood, I cringe because the anger I hear from my husband.  There have been a few violant outlashes, from all ends.  I know that I cant handle either child alone, but I constantly worry about both of their safety, mostly from each other.  When the oldest is in a mood, he has been aggressive to the youngest, and there is no way to prove it because the youngest can not speak at all.

I have considered sending the oldest away, but have heard that with his psycological problems, it would only make things worse.  He has so much potential, but after about 6 months, no one wants to deal with him anymore, including me!

Please advise!

May 19, 2008, 7:30 am CDT

Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar Disorder, ADHD

I have an 8 year old son who has Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar Disorder, and ADHD. He has episodes of extreme violence towards his brother and sisters, as well as towards me. My husband is active duty military, so we have Tricare Insurance. He has been hospitalized mulitple times and been through a partial hospitalization program multiple times. My son needs long-term reesidential treatment, and our insurance company will only pay for him to go to Texas or Virginia. Knowing my son the way I do, if he goes there, once he comes back it will be worse then when he left because he will feel we abandoned him. There is a place for him about 10-15 minutes away from where I live, but my insurance company won't pay for it. What should I do?

June 2, 2008, 7:41 am CDT

A step forward

Hello,
I am Alex's dad from the show. I was so long ago. I just wanted to update everyone on Alex's progress. After the show aired the students in his class we mostly supportive, the parents were not and a number asked for him to removed or arrested. Dr. Phil's show did everything that they had control of and tried to help him, unfortunately we live in Ohio and the doctors that were available were not in Ohio. Alex got mad initially at Dr. Phil and thought that he promised things (Dr. Phil had not) and he used the anger to correct himself. The angrier he got the more he forced himself to take control. There have been NO outbursts like you saw on the show in almost 2 years!!! He has learned to find safe zones, and techniques that he can keep in control.   

He discovered that he really does have a musical ability and became the National Anthem singer for all sporting events. This lead to a small comment in the local newspaper that if you want to hear the National Anthem sung the best you will ever hear come to the basketball games, it’s worth the admission.  

He graduated last weekend, from High School, and he got accepted to a near by College, and he even was one of the handful of freshmen accepted into the school of music! I know that it will not be easy but I finally think he will make it and be fully independent. I also want to stick my tongue out at the county therapist (years before the Dr. Phil show) who told us that he would never graduate high school and he would live in a half way house and the county would take care of him for the rest of his life…. I think she was wrong and I am glad I did not listen, and yelled at her and left the room.  

Dr. Phil …. Thanks  I will keep you posted.   

July 23, 2008, 11:36 pm CDT

01/17 Extreme Disorders

Quote From: farleyta

My son has my issues with social situations and seems unable to blend.  He has a very high amount of anxiety it seems - he is 6 years old - for birthday parties etc..  Did you have these issues at the time?  What was done to help?  What was done that did not help? 

I hated birthday parties. I always had to beg to go to another person's party (and tell my mom), and I never enjoyed my own. My mom made it better for me by making a lot of games, so there was less socializing. Maybe make it a smaller party - because I didn't have anxiety at the time, I just invited people and hoped they would come, but it might make it easier on him.

March 6, 2009, 9:33 am CST

Praise God!

Quote From: all_sop2

Hi 

I will be 20  years old this fall, I was first diagnosed with Mild AS (Aspergers Syndrom). When I was in school, I felt like I was invisible to the world, I felt like people didn't see me. I would be standing in a group of peers, and the circle would get tighter and slowly I would be left outside of it. I also had large troubles with foods, and large amounts of gluten, sugar, fruit, and a few other things would trigger symptoms, such as lack of coping skills, tired, lots of heath problems (yeast, headaches, mood swings, etc). When I was 18 years old I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux disease, and put on the drug pariet, since then the Aspergers symptoms have pretty much gone away. I am now studying to become a pastor, and am also an assistant youth pastor at my church. The only times the AS symptoms flare up now, are if I have had large amounts of sugar, or sugar based foods (candy, most pastry items, etc), and also some perfumes bring it on as well, or forgot to take my pills.  

All_sop2 

I've been a youth minister for 10 years, and I am excited that you feel a calling to the ministry. If there is any way I can support you, let me know. I have a 8 year old son that has mild Asperger type symptoms, and I was searching for someone in the ministry who can relate to my and my son's situation. Perhaps you could tell me more about the diet you are on> Maybe I should try that with my son?

Just curious, did you have any fears or anxieties about going on trips (with or without parents) growing up?

How did the "bad" foods effect you? (you can look me up at St. John's Lutheran in Salisbury NC )

First | Prev | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | Next Page | Last Page