Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Follow-ups

Number of Replies: 255
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 13, 2006, 02:25:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil revisits some of his most amazing stories of the season. First, Tim and Anne Marie were desperate to save their mother, Sylvia, who was constantly talking to the voices in her head. After 10 weeks of treatment, see the inspirational turn Sylvia has taken. What will she say when she meets Dr. Phil face to face? Then, just over a month ago, two women told Dr. Phil how they fell victim to alleged con man and bigamist Ed Hicks. See how their story helped another woman and brought Hicks into police custody. Plus, 18-year-old Natalee Holloway disappeared last May during a senior class trip to the island of Aruba. Dr. Phil is joined by Natalee’s mother, Beth, her lawyer, and a consultant to the Aruban government who defends the work of the investigators. Have there been new revelations since the last time Beth appeared on the show? Could rescuers be on the brink of finding the missing teen? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2006, 8:58 am CST

Government ???

True Americans want everyone to think their way but, so does every other area in this world. 

But when a crime has been committed anywhere and the government in that area does not release information, shrugs it off, does not admit there is a problem just so tourist keep coming, that is a crime in it self. 

Since our government (USA) likes to interfere in everything, and this issue can put everyone in danger in Aruba, then they should be stepping in and stopping all travel to that area. 

Once Aruba realizes that they will be crippled with out our mighty dollar, then maybe something will be done. 

If she is still alive and well, the pressure to get her back alive should be overwhelming. Do to the technology today and her body is found we could determine when she was killed. If it was recent it will prove Aruba has a major problem and there has a cover-up about the problems they have and they should be held liable (Aruba government). 

At that point if they want to keep getting that mighty dollar, then the US government should step in and help clean it up. 

January 19, 2006, 9:03 am CST

You Arubans are so fearful

Quote From: ninjai

You americans are so strange......  

First of all I would like to say that these thing (kidnapping/murder/rape) never schould happen. Because it's terrible.  

But the one thing I don't understand about the USA is: They would like that everyone is behaving as they say. So a american girl is lost in Aruba and Aruba should 'obey' the USA???? Why.  

I am Dutch and the laws in Aruba are the same like ours. Those laws are good. Because if you look to american prisons there are innocent people out there. Because they were pressured by the police to say they did it.  

(B.T.W I am NOT discussing now about if Joran is quilty or not ok, so please...)  

Another thing I would like to add is another case, here in the Netherlands we have another gay who did crimes in the Netherlands. But he smugled stuf to the USA. The Dutch needed to give him to the americans because they wanted. HE IS DUTCH. And now there is prove that meanwile the investigation to the actions of the "Zwarte Cobra" (his name) the americans didn't respect our laws.  

They broke it on cerveral points.  

You can't say to other country's: You should treat us with respect, while in meanwhile you disrespect them.  

I strongly belive you don't now enything about other countries. Americans only have a vission about there own beloning, and there wallet.  

And by the way did you ever send 3 F-16 to search for a foreiner who was lost in ameica?  

I hope tis discussion will be a lot better than the last one we had on these boards about Nathalee Holloway. Treat echtother with respect, and please, don't say: You are stupid / basterds / dump or that stuff. Everyone has a diffrent vission, and respect each other. Or it won't be a good discussion. On the last board it was more: Kill the Arubans and Dutch.  

But comeon respect you have to earn, you can't take it by forse.  

Have a nice day, Ninjai  

You Arubans are so fearful of your own government you are left in the dark when it comes to social issues and you don't questions what you're told.

I've been to other places beside the United States and I can tell you that mnay, many other people in the world are simply living in fear. This fear is so great that it obstructs the truth. They need to be emancipated.

January 19, 2006, 9:08 am CST

Correction

Correction, they (Arubans and others) need emancipation.  People can only emancipate themselves,  not be emancipated by others.

January 19, 2006, 9:12 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: djbubble

Have any of the government officials looked into the possibility that Natalie was kidnapped and "trafficked" to another country, i.e. sold into prostitution? I saw a special on the TV show Independent Lens about trafficking girls and also the movie on Lifetime about the subject...according to the shows, it is much more common than we think... 

I haven't read anything about this possibility in any of the reports. Has anyone?  

I totally agree with you.  They actually discussed this on the last Dr. Phil show covering the subject.  The first show one thing that struck me was they mentioned  that the crime rate was low and murder rate only 1% meaning only one person had been killed for the last year.  Which to me that was very incriminating evidence against the 3 guys.  BUT if truly they had left her naked on the beach at 3 am then some crazy slave trader coming along and seeing her there probably saw that as very inviting.  These sorts of islands have a reputation for that.  I think they should continue to follow all of those leads.  They said they had the best search dogs looking for her in Aruba and turned up nothing.  The ocean's have been searched.... so I think the liklihood that she is a prisoner somewhere is very likely.  Because on the last show they mentioned there was a phone message on the mom's cell phone that they thought was Natalie....  I totally agree with you.

January 19, 2006, 9:15 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: dueyx1

True Americans want everyone to think their way but, so does every other area in this world. 

But when a crime has been committed anywhere and the government in that area does not release information, shrugs it off, does not admit there is a problem just so tourist keep coming, that is a crime in it self. 

Since our government (USA) likes to interfere in everything, and this issue can put everyone in danger in Aruba, then they should be stepping in and stopping all travel to that area. 

Once Aruba realizes that they will be crippled with out our mighty dollar, then maybe something will be done. 

If she is still alive and well, the pressure to get her back alive should be overwhelming. Do to the technology today and her body is found we could determine when she was killed. If it was recent it will prove Aruba has a major problem and there has a cover-up about the problems they have and they should be held liable (Aruba government). 

At that point if they want to keep getting that mighty dollar, then the US government should step in and help clean it up. 

It is common use not to release information about investigations when the investigation is still ongoing. The authorities do that (Aruban, Dutch and US alike) to protect the innocent. Someone may be a suspect but can at a later point be taken of the suspect list because of evidence that has serviced. They do this to prevent lynch mobs etc. The Aruban Authorities are reluctant to give out any informatrion about this case because it can damage the prosecution. Beth Twitty has proven a number of times that when she got confidential information from the Authorities she quickly gave that information to the US media.  

Please do  not forget that the FBI was involved in the investigation! Please do not forget that congresman Bacchus was satisfied with the way the investigation was handled. 

Get your facts straight before yo start boasting about the mighty dollar! 

January 19, 2006, 9:20 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: marnitgirl

Dear Dr. Phil, 

1st of all let me say I love your show and your tell it like it is additude, I am a tell like it is person myself.  We need to stick together!! I watched the show today, and am disturbed by the man representing Aruba tourism.  He needs to fired!!  His facial expression was almost a grin, sitting across from this poor woman who still has no answers about her daughter disapperance.  I was outraged. He gave her no answers.  Who cares about Holland law or aruba law.  There is someone missing and thats all that matters. Forget the rest.   

My daughter is 13 and attends a charter school. They recently took a trip to Hawaii, my daughter did not go for the simple fact of what is going on in Aruba!  I could not let her go because I was afraid the same thing might happen to her.  You cant trust anyone anymore!!  There is another trip planned for Boston, She is going on that one but only because I am going with her!!  My heart goes out to that poor lady who has no closure. I dont know how she keeps going. I have 2 children and if anything happened to either one of them I couldnt go on. Its a terrrible thing!  Someone has answers, and the 3 boys should be held until the answers are found!! 

Thank you for respecting Dutch and Aruban law! 

You are a sensible woman. You were right not to let your daughter go to Hawaii (US terrirory?), you are also right to accompany your daughter on her Schooltrip to Boston.  

Natalee and her friends went on a trip to Aruba, they got chaperonnes with them. Those Chaperonnes didn't do their job well, did they? 

January 19, 2006, 9:55 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: valvr4lyfe

First of all, I really do not believe that "americans are weird" and second of all this has to do with a mother trying to find out what happened to her daughther. Regardless of the fact that the boys that were accused are the actual people or not is irrelevant right now. Something has to be done and it has to be done quickly. These boys should be questioned as long as it takes until further information or she is found. I believe that ANYTHING should be done to solve this case. No matter if the missing person is an AMERICAN or any other ethnicity. No one stops to think about how her mother is feeling in this situation. She has a child that is MISSING! Justice needs to be served and until that is done.. boycotting Aruba sounds like a great idea to me. Oh, and another thing I have a problem with is the post about Nathalee having sex with that boy. I really do not believe that that has ANYTHING to do with the fact that her mother is trying to figure what happened to her. Not whether she had sex with him or not. I'm pretty sure her mother has more important things to think about than that. Do not stereotype men either by saying he would have sex with her and left her alone on the beach because he was a man. That is a ridiculous comment. People need to wake up and open there eyes. Realize there is a girl missing right now and someone is on the loose. 

Unfortunately, a suspect doesn't have to answer police questions-even in the US-remember the "You have a right to remain silent" part of your own country's arrest caution? The prosecutors in Aruba asked the suspects to answer questions and they declined.  That is the end of that. The police and prosecutors have to have enough evidence to prove a crime was comitted to go to trial...they can't just "question the boys for as long as it takes".   Aruba isn't gitmo after all. 

January 19, 2006, 10:08 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: trotphoto

Just watched the show 1/19/06 with Natalee's Mom. I guess the boycott of the island has got some people running around and covering their buts. It is so frustrating to see this "ambassador" spewing niceities- I mean , I just don't get it- if he thinks they are guilty , why are they still out there and free?? Why is that so complicated ?

There are cases like this in Canada and the United States.  "Thinking" someone is guilty is a far cry from having sufficent evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is the standard we have all decided is appropriate before incarceration is justified (except in the US "war on terror").  In this case, I doubt the prosecutors have sufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Natalee is dead, let alone who killed her. 

I agree that it is very frustrating when a crime is unsolved.  I know it must be horrible for Natalee's family not to know about her.  There are lots of unsolved missing person cases in the US, Mexico, Canada and Europe too.  Boycotting Aruba is a pointless action unless you are also willing to promote a tourism boycott of every territory  in which people are missing and the crime is unsolved.  That might bite the US harder than Aruba. 

January 19, 2006, 11:09 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: djbubble

Have any of the government officials looked into the possibility that Natalie was kidnapped and "trafficked" to another country, i.e. sold into prostitution? I saw a special on the TV show Independent Lens about trafficking girls and also the movie on Lifetime about the subject...according to the shows, it is much more common than we think... 

I haven't read anything about this possibility in any of the reports. Has anyone?  

Uh, if by "we" you mean most Americans, then yes I agree.  Most Americans have no concept of how common certain practices are in other parts of the world.  In  some parts of South East Asia for example the sex trade is a very lucrative buissness.  In fact there have even been instances of women and men being trafficed into the US from several countries.

Now,  with that said unless there is evidence that CLEARLY points to this girl being kidnapped and sold into the sex industry than I personally would not even check that avenue.  People who are kidnapped and enter the sex industry by force RARELY escape, and are nearly impossible to find.  It's not something most people in ANY country talk about with the police, or make WIDELY known.

January 19, 2006, 11:11 am CST

01/19 Follow-ups

Quote From: astroloog

Thank you for respecting Dutch and Aruban law! 

You are a sensible woman. You were right not to let your daughter go to Hawaii (US terrirory?), you are also right to accompany your daughter on her Schooltrip to Boston.  

Natalee and her friends went on a trip to Aruba, they got chaperonnes with them. Those Chaperonnes didn't do their job well, did they? 

Its not that I dont respect their laws,  Like I said someone is missing and thats all that matters!!  I can promise  That the 4 kids I will be responsible for Will not be out of my sight for a second!! Thats all it takes.....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last