Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Follow-ups

Number of Replies: 255
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 13, 2006, 02:25:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil revisits some of his most amazing stories of the season. First, Tim and Anne Marie were desperate to save their mother, Sylvia, who was constantly talking to the voices in her head. After 10 weeks of treatment, see the inspirational turn Sylvia has taken. What will she say when she meets Dr. Phil face to face? Then, just over a month ago, two women told Dr. Phil how they fell victim to alleged con man and bigamist Ed Hicks. See how their story helped another woman and brought Hicks into police custody. Plus, 18-year-old Natalee Holloway disappeared last May during a senior class trip to the island of Aruba. Dr. Phil is joined by Natalee’s mother, Beth, her lawyer, and a consultant to the Aruban government who defends the work of the investigators. Have there been new revelations since the last time Beth appeared on the show? Could rescuers be on the brink of finding the missing teen? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2006, 1:40 pm CST

Aruban Ambassador

Quote From: judyblue22

There are cases like this in Canada and the United States.  "Thinking" someone is guilty is a far cry from having sufficent evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is the standard we have all decided is appropriate before incarceration is justified (except in the US "war on terror").  In this case, I doubt the prosecutors have sufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Natalee is dead, let alone who killed her. 

I agree that it is very frustrating when a crime is unsolved.  I know it must be horrible for Natalee's family not to know about her.  There are lots of unsolved missing person cases in the US, Mexico, Canada and Europe too.  Boycotting Aruba is a pointless action unless you are also willing to promote a tourism boycott of every territory  in which people are missing and the crime is unsolved.  That might bite the US harder than Aruba. 

Watched the program on 1/19/06. The ambassador seemed to be putting up a "smoke screen" with his words. They did not appear or sound sincere. He seemed to be more interested in the "tourism" side of this situation than what had happened to this young girl or bringing the young men responsible to justice. I am not familiar with the Aruban laws or how they would treat murderers, sex offenders, or drug traffickers. How would they treat an American boy who they believed killed or sold as a sex slave one of their women while he was in Aruba? Would he be allowed to leave Aruba? The families of these young men seem to have monetary influence or have some "wealth" (in their standards). Are they buying their children's way out of being questioned, detained, or even downplaying their rolls in this disappearance? Are they paying the Aruban government and judicial officials to drag this out and then have it disappear from the headlines? What example are they setting for their children in "buying" their way out of a serious situation that may involve murder? I do believe that individuals are "innocent" until proven guilty. I would think that information would be easy to accumulate and lead to solving this case. I would think that they would want to prove their innocence rather than leaving doubt. How difficult would it be to to spot a beautiful, blond white girl (woman) in Aruba? Evidently these young men didn't miss her. Whatever would have prompted this young woman to leave the safety and security of being in a "group" of friends and go - alone - with these young men? What was she thinking? Did someone spike her drink with a "date rape" drug? So many unasked and unanswered questions. How would this situation affect tourism? It's hard to say. Unless this situation has affected someone personally, I don't see a boycott hurting the tourism in Aruba. 

January 19, 2006, 1:42 pm CST

missing human being

Im so angry at people like nanjai, the aruben gov, and S.Cohen, 

You havent a clue!  Its a wonder you all operate and/or breath!  Why Dr. Phil are you and your panel even allowing a "tourism puke" to answer questions. Hes paid to subdue you into spending us dollars in aruba.  Stop the money and theyll treat you like honey!!!  I believe/hope she is alive.   Until those terrorists go to one of our prisons, Ill never rest and neither will the H's 

January 19, 2006, 1:48 pm CST

Youth/Decision-making skills

Quote From: marnitgirl

Its not that I dont respect their laws,  Like I said someone is missing and thats all that matters!!  I can promise  That the 4 kids I will be responsible for Will not be out of my sight for a second!! Thats all it takes.....
Some experiences should be left for the later years when decision-making skills are honed and better tuned.  What happened to day trips to the local amusement parks (under supervision of course)? As a retired teacher of 21 years of both high school and middle school, I can say with some authority that most youths do not have the ability to make life or death decisions for the concept of consequences, in today's visual society, are taken from what they see rather than what they've experienced.  That is why old people, sometimes referred to as parents/guardians, must make decisions for them.  Today is laced with so many facets of life and living that may result in death or maming that we, as the present, must assist our future, also known as children, so that the present will have a future.  Finally, parents and adults may be friendly to their charges, not necessarily be their friends.  Parents and adults, leave the understanding of you by your children for a later date, when they themselves become parents and you can sit back and smile knowingly(or laugh out loud if it suits you).

January 19, 2006, 1:51 pm CST

What a Crock

Quote From: phillips22

If Aruba was serious about finding out what really happened to Natalie, why does Aruba send a paid consultant to the tourism board?  Why not send a member from the justice department or from the prosecutor's office?  All this guy came off as was being there to get people to THINK Aruba was doing something and it is all right to come back and spend your money on Aruba. 

Lynn 

I can't believe this guy saying even the bar owners are concerned. What a Crock! I didn't know if Dr. Phil's cry for the American public to vacation elsewhere had effected their tourism income a great deal. I was wrong, and so glad of it!. You GO DR. PHIL!!! 

Take a vacation across the US on Route 66! Lot of Fun! 

January 19, 2006, 1:53 pm CST

Regarding Backwards

Quote From: lelams

What I want to know about the whole Aruba case is why is a tourist cosultant is allowed to unlock a jail cell and why does he have any role in the legal aspect.  If I understood correctly this guy that was on the show today with Beth is hired by the hotels and tourism industry.  So why is this man even talking to these boys or involved with questioning them.  It sounds to me like Aruba truely is a backwards place to need justice.
The results speak for themselves and no amount of spinning by marketing tourist consultants can spin away an unsolved death or other  horrible happening to a young tourist.  Many parents and young people watch Dr. Phil and I pray that they exercise caution and not select Aruba in their travels.

January 19, 2006, 2:00 pm CST

Thanks to Dr Phil not forgetting Natalee

Quote From: duke083

The results speak for themselves and no amount of spinning by marketing tourist consultants can spin away an unsolved death or other  horrible happening to a young tourist.  Many parents and young people watch Dr. Phil and I pray that they exercise caution and not select Aruba in their travels.

I'm so glad you all are here and asking good questions.   Thank you, Dr Phil for not forgetting Natalee. 

I am praying for the family and for Natalee.  I saw last night on a show they are looking for her on an island so I do pray for once, this is true. 

Thanks again Dr Phil, please don't give up and forget Natalee. 

January 19, 2006, 2:05 pm CST

Tourism

How convenient that nothing was said until after the Christmas rush of tourism.  They'll keep stringing the Holloways along until the major tourism season is over! 

January 19, 2006, 2:05 pm CST

In Netherlands, Brothel, Right next to airport..

Quote From: johnk3493

There is crime all over the world,  People have to be safe no matter where they go. 

In Turkey  For stealing or DUI first time, cut off finger,second offense cut off hand, third offense time dead. 

In Some countries for infidelity, they cut off the Head in Public.  

Just Laws,Behaviors,Culture, People are different in the world.  

TC  John  

Just things are different in the world..  And people want to be safe, whoever, where ever. we go. 

Take care  TC    John 

January 19, 2006, 2:06 pm CST

Regarding Crock

Quote From: inmylife

I can't believe this guy saying even the bar owners are concerned. What a Crock! I didn't know if Dr. Phil's cry for the American public to vacation elsewhere had effected their tourism income a great deal. I was wrong, and so glad of it!. You GO DR. PHIL!!! 

Take a vacation across the US on Route 66! Lot of Fun! 

You MUST understand one thing.  They sent their best(evidently) to handle the situation from their perspective! They view this from the marketing tourism view point.  Others view this as a moral issue that should be viewed from that of a court of law.  Therein lies the problem.  Not only are they not on the same page, they are reading a Harry Potter book and expecting someone to wave a magic wand and it will all go away.  POOF!  No so! 

January 19, 2006, 2:08 pm CST

01/19 Follow-ups

While I'm so glad Dr. Phil is continuing with the Natalie Holloway disappearance, it seems the investigation in Aruba has been mishandled from the very beginning.  In this age of technology, one would think this case would have been solved months ago, especially since the three suspects all but have blood on their hands!   

Just my opinion... 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last