Message Boards

Topic : 09/08 Too Hot!

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:01:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 01/23) If you’ve got it, flaunt it! Dr. Phil's guests say they’ve gone from ugly ducklings to hot tamales, but their loved ones think they’ve gone too far. Audrey says she looks extra hot now that she's 62 ... and she's got a 28-year-old boyfriend to prove it! Her close friend, Crystal, thinks Audrey should hang up her miniskirts and start baking cookies. Then, Bobbie lost 140 pounds and gained an insanely jealous husband who thinks she looks way too sexy. What do the cameras reveal when they follow Bobbie out for a night on the town? Plus, a winner of the popular makeover show The Swan says she doesn't know how to handle her newfound beauty. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2006, 10:01 am CST

bobby and mike

If Mike has an issue with his weight now because his wife keeps giving him the food she can't finish, here's an easy solution: make less food!   

January 23, 2006, 10:14 am CST

Awesome Audrey

I am 52, a married home maker, overweight and in a slump with menopause.  Good for Audrey.  I admire her.  I have never had legs like hers.  Maybe if more married women were as exhuberant as she, men would stop having affairs.  What is it with this Grandma image?  60 is not old anymore! 

Dr. Phil, I believe I have just been inspired!!   

January 23, 2006, 10:40 am CST

idea

Quote From: elwood

If Mike has an issue with his weight now because his wife keeps giving him the food she can't finish, here's an easy solution: make less food!   

ALL YOUR DOING IS HELPING HIS HEART ATTACK ALONG OR WHAT EVER OTHER MEDICAL SITUATIONS COME UP I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOUR SELF BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE A REASON YOU KEEP THIS UP YOU MUST WANT HIM TO STAY FAT DO TO SOME INSECURENESS YOU HAVE BECAUSE IF YOU LOVE HIM YOU WITH OUT THINKING WOULD STOP FIND OUT WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS IS FIRST BEFORE MIKE HAS BIGGER PROBLEMS 

January 23, 2006, 10:45 am CST

IDEA

Quote From: missjane2

I think 34 years difference is a little much... but my question for them is:  Is Audrey older than Tyler's mother?  Also how does Tyler's mother feel about this? 

IF SHE IS OUT OF THE HOUSE AND YOU RAISED HER THE PROPER WHY AND DOING GOOD IN HER LIFE LEAVE HER ALONG WHO SHE DATES IS HER BUISNESS EVEN IF YOU ARE HER MOTHER YOUR JOB KNOW IS TO BE THERE AND FOR HER TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO AND TO LOVE YOUR DONE RAISING HER YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT YOUR MISSING IN YOUR LIFE THAT YOU ARE STILL TOO TOO INVALID IN YOUR DAUGHTERS

January 23, 2006, 12:04 pm CST

people do what is easy...

Quote From: alteaon

The fact that plastic surgery is so readily available with out any type of counseling/therapy bothers me.  I am sure I'd be sexy at 62 if my butt, breasts and face were younger than the rest of me. Would she be so confident if she didn't blow her retirement on plastic parts?  I have never been obese. Even at chubby, it doesn't take a scientist to realize that people treat you differently  depending on how you look. However, I wonder if gastric bypass was this woman' s first choice, or did she try other things? I'm not sure what her story is so I can't judge. However, it surprises me that she doesn't seem to get where her husband is coming from. The roles are reversed, yet she doesn't seem to recall how she felt when he got attention from women.  I do not fault the woman who was on "the Swan", but I do think the show is messed up. It totally plays on a woman's insecurities, then molds them into these cookie cutter people. Almost every woman on that show gets a boob job. People can't even tell what a real breast looks like  compared to fake ones.  I would hate to see what they'd do to me on that show.  To come out looking completely and utterly different from when you went in is bothersome to me, as if nothing about the person's original appearance is worth saving.    

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, mainly that people alter thier appearance as a first step these days, and usually by going under the knife.  As the standard of beauty becomes more and more difficult to attain, it'll expose more insecurities.  

From a more feminist standpoint, where is the Swan for men? If women have to be equipped with frontal air bags, what will men have to have? a six pack?  The whole idea of the barbie doll standard of beauty has got to go. It seems that no matter how many Dove soap campaigns there are celebrating real women, there are more widely accepted marketing and entertainment methods that perpetuate the beauty myth.  

I totally admit that I get insecure about my appearance. I work out for an hour and a half at the Y daily and try to eat well, but I still have my days. At 27 years old, I'd still like to have a role model, someone I can look at on TV or in print and say, " She looks a lot like me ,and she's pretty".  

As much as I want to say that beauty and looks has nothing to do with it, I'd be lying to myself. Just like I'd be lying if I said that my trips to the Y are only because I want to get healthier.  

Now, I run the risk of being blasted here, but let's be honest- it's faster and easier to have surgery to improve your looks. I am not against gastric bypass surgery, because someone who is morbidly obese is at such unbelievable risks it is so unlikely that they will ever lose the weight by diet and excercise- and it has really saved lives. However, it seems more and more ppl are turning to "quick fixes" like liposuction, tummy tucks, breast augmentation, etc. I totally agree with your viewpoint- just because you change the outside doesn't mean you are changed on the inside. I never did watch "The Swan" because to be honest, it makes me sick. I may not be the thinnest woman, or the prettiest woman, but I would NEVER EVER drastically change my looks through plastic surgery. I struggle with my weight because of my genetics and mostly my lack of exercise. Losing weight is CRAZY HARD- but there is no way I'm going under the knife for the "easy" way out. Please don't yell at me ppl- I am a RN, and I know what gastric bypass surgery entails. The proof is in the pudding- ppl would rather have major abdominal surgery- with all the risks, all the recovery, all the diet restrictions- than to drastically change thier lifestyles. If it wasn't easier ppl wouldn't do it! Americans do what's easier. The feminist in me thinks that this country is ridiculously obsessed with looks, looks, looks- and nobody cares about integrity and character, which ironically is what we are all left with when we are old and gray and all look the same! 

January 23, 2006, 12:12 pm CST

ENJOY LIFE

enjoy your life as long as you ,can have fun , and good for you not everyone has the guts to live life like you reach for the sky and enjoy.Michele

January 23, 2006, 12:21 pm CST

The Swan

She wasn't ugly before... she was normal!!!! No wonder she feels badly now. She took a perfectly normal creation of "God" or nature or whatever and pumped it full of phony. I'd feel badly, too.  

I'm no where near perfect. My forehead is too broad. My jaw is too squared. My hips are too wide and I've got 15 baby pounds to shed before I'm at a "happy with me" weight. My thighs are heavy. My face isn't even symmetrical for Heaven's sake! But you know what? I wouldn't get plastic surgery if a doctor paid me to! You know why? Self esteem comes from within, not without and if you can't work at your imperfections to fix them, you need to embrace them and make them your own. 

January 23, 2006, 12:49 pm CST

Too hot?

Grandma:  

Go, girl, go!  I admire your style, joie de vivre and determination to enjoy life while you're living.  While I'm sympathetic to your family they don't have the right to tell you how to live.  My dad, my sister and I were always proud that Mom was both a loving wife and mother and a ball of fire.  It  makes me happy to remember her being happy.   

Size 4: 

In my book the issue is fidelity, not flirting.  If I just got a red sports car you'd better believe I'd drive it, but I'd only lend it to my husband!  It's very understandable that both you and your husband have mixed feelings about the new you.  Maybe you want to set a date and say "if one or both of us aren't comfortable by then we'll try couples therapy"?  

January 23, 2006, 12:55 pm CST

Today's Show

Why is the lady who was on "The Swan" feeling Guilty? It sounds like a "Fractured Fairy Tale" (Do you remember those on the "Bulwinkle and Rocky" show?) It was the Ugly Duckling who made himself Handsome , then he went to Hollywood. He found out that that Ugly was In and then he let kids throw rocks at him to break his beak so he could be Ugly again. That's what's happening to this girl. It's also a bad side effect of American obsession with Physical Beauty. 

Now if you have a Problem on the Inside, like Asperger Syndrome (which I have) good luck with finding Someone who wants to have a relationship with You who DOESN'T have a Learning Disability. 

Does having a Learning Disability make You Rotten, causing People to WANT to take Advantage of You? or is the Social Problem HOW the NON DISABLED Person TREATS the Person WITH a "DISABILITY?" 

January 23, 2006, 1:00 pm CST

Who's responsibility is it?

Quote From: bobo123456

ALL YOUR DOING IS HELPING HIS HEART ATTACK ALONG OR WHAT EVER OTHER MEDICAL SITUATIONS COME UP I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOUR SELF BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE A REASON YOU KEEP THIS UP YOU MUST WANT HIM TO STAY FAT DO TO SOME INSECURENESS YOU HAVE BECAUSE IF YOU LOVE HIM YOU WITH OUT THINKING WOULD STOP FIND OUT WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS IS FIRST BEFORE MIKE HAS BIGGER PROBLEMS 

Just because it's on the plate you don't have to eat it.  Boy, do I have to struggle to live by that, and I have to admit I don't always win.  Win or lose it's my responsibility.  Nobody's snatching food out of my mouth or force feeding me. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last