Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 24, 2006, 10:11 pm CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Quote From: gpring

Is there a significance to dreaming in B&W or color? I've never remembered my dreams (on a rare occation) but in the last couple months I have been having up to 5 per night. I'm always lost, confused, stressed, angry, and they include people I knew long ago and placed I've lived. I get so frustrated in the dream that I wake up in a sweat and can remember every detail.
There not nightmares, just alot of work. As soon as I go back to sleep another one starts. Then I spend the first hour of my day trying to figure out what they meant. Each one is a separate dream, some in color, some in B&W.
Most people say that we only dream in black and white, which is completely untrue! I for one have only ever had dreams in colour, very vivid colour. There may be some significance to dreaming in  black and white then there is to colour. Black and white its usually an indicator of the past in imagery, so it might be that when you dream of the past you dream in black and white but unless you can remember that through the full length of your dream that you did infact dream in black in white, black and white can instead be an indicator of when you dream is ending and you are starting to wake up. Or if you are lucid (being aware consciously that you are dreaming when you are in a dream) in a dream when colour starts to fade that signifies that you are in fact waking up and your losing your control over the dream.

January 24, 2006, 10:15 pm CST

nightmares? Check out this

I watched a documentary on Discovery about sleep disorders and night Terrors a couple months ago, I was surprised at how many people in USA and Canada suffer from this, I was also relieved when I saw a story quite similar to what I have gone through as child (10yrs old until I was 26 yrs old).  #1) I would have nightmares about the Devil coming for my family over and over again, then my nightmares around teen years # 2) turned into something from (nightmare on elm street movie) I would be awake and I would fall asleep without knowing I had (still believing I was awake) and I would get this crushing feeling in my jaw and I felt paralized( at that point I was fully aware I had fallen asleep) and I would sense a presence in the room, I could not see it I just felt it and I was terrified. I would hear a awful groaning and nonsense jibberish (demonic like). I would then have the sensation of levitating off the bed (it was in my dreams). I would fight to wake up. I would almost make it out,only to be pulled back into the dream. The sensation of this fighting to get awake was unbelieveable and all through this I was totally aware I was in a dream (like I was awake).  My Parents were quite concerned for me especially for my mother, because if I was in the same room as someone and I started acting as I was in need of help, it was known to help wake me up. I had read some where that if you were dreaming about the devil or something demonic it was because your Faith was not strong and it was in need of strenghing ( this was in early years 12yrs) I started to fight back with scriptures and holy water and psalms ( I do not know how I knew this) It helped in stopping the nightmares about the devil.  

Like I said the nightmares changed, what to do now? I started fighting in my dreams and they were so draining emotionaly and mentally, trying in not believing they had a hold on me and using my will to say go away your just a dream I can wake up. It did help in lessing the nightmares and I started to have a little more nights to actually get sleep. this change in nightmares happened when I was around 16 yrs old. I continued to have these nightmare until 26 yrs old, But they were lessening and each time I would have it, I would not acknowledge and give the dream any power, I had the power. At 26 yrs old they finally stopped. At 29 yrs old the dream decided to come back I didnt even give it a chance to manifest I told it to get lost, and then it was gone. I know this is different from people who sleep walk, But if someone is suffering from nightmares similar from mine, Believe me when I say to you that you can stop it, you have to give yourself the power. Maybe self confidence, maybe faith. I had no one to help me and like I said I only found out other people suffer from similar nightmares only a couple months ago. I was at a lost, was so tired ,to scared to go to sleep and felt so alone, I to felt like I was slowly going mad, crazy, was going to lose something.  I did it myself, yes took along time, BUT the nightmares were not as frequent they got lesser and Then I was able to get sleep and get mentaly and emotionaly STRONGER. 

To this day I still wonder if it was actually real and was I being attacked by something demonic? or had I really just manifested these dreams from something from my own mind and emotions? 

I do hope I was able to help someone or at least give someone a little Hope and a little Faith 

cassiangel 

January 25, 2006, 12:10 am CST

my dreams

I always tried to figure out what dreams really mean. For some reason I always have dreams that either have to deal with school or me ending up pregnant. I've been having these dreams since I was like 12. I can understand why I dream about the school setting because school is the place I loved dearly and miss alot (I graduated). But these days I either dream about going back to school of how it would be like if I did my senior year differently or I dream about in the college. What I don't get is why do I have these dreams I am pregnant? I've been having dreams I am pregnant before I even thought about sex and started having sex. Since I am taking time off from college my dreams lately have been about me going back to college and I have to leave because I am pregnant. So if anyone has any idea of why I could be having these dreams I am pregnant it would be a great. I always thought before I graduated that I would accidently become pregnant and thats not the case cuz here I am 2 years later after my graduation without a baby. Now the question is that can these dreams be leading up that I will when I go back to college?  Hmmmm weird.  

To those who have night mares boy I am sorry.... I haven't had one of those in ages since I was little. I thought only kids got nightmares. I guess not.  

January 25, 2006, 12:19 am CST

God really does work

I was reading some people's comments on how they used to have nightmares, but they stopped once they started to pray to God. I would have to agree with them. I had nightmares as a child, but my best friend got me into Church and now I read some of the bible at night and pray and maybe that explains I don't get nightmares? The only dreams I have is that I am either doing something in a school setting or I am pregnant and I don't understand why I always dream I am pregnant.

January 25, 2006, 3:44 am CST

Proverbial Pondering???

They say we have sparks in our brain,  Like a spark plug..  Electric charges..  There is Iron in Blood.. 

If we have transformers, electro-magnetic fields, in everything, TV, Etc,Etc, etc..  Would it be better to sleep with a lead curtain at night around our bed...  Keep away from kids,  Lead poisoning..   

What yr. did your house get built,  lead pipes, lead poisoning?  

TC   John 

January 25, 2006, 6:10 am CST

Dream meanings

I am a firm believer that dreams are our subconscious telling us what is wrong or right in our lives.  It is expressed through example (IE aliens, death, birth, etc.)  I think our brains are so complicated that maybe in our lifetime we will never understand it fully.  I hope this is not the case.   

I have so many weird dreams myself, just last night, I dreamed that I worked in a convenience store with my old boss and she was so horribly wicked I just quit, but then I hung out after wards.  I have no idea what that means, but then again, I really didn't get a good nights sleep either.  In fact, I liked my boss.  There was nothing wrong with her!!!! 

Maybe some analyzing will help???  With night terrors, I am so sorry to hear some of you suffer from them.  I have seem documentaries on TV about the subject.  Some people actually murder people in their sleep.  They do not remember doing any such thing but it does happen.  The one man walked away after attempting to kill his in laws.   

January 25, 2006, 6:14 am CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Quote From: itskatie8

I have always had this horrible dream that something was going to happen to my son.  Not my daughter, husband or anyone else, just my son.  March 8th 2004, while out of town visiting grandparents, I had yet another dream.   I imediately called my husband, who told me that our son was fine, and he had spoken to him earlier in the morning.  That dream, feeling so real, upset me so much, I made my husband call my son at his friends house and call me back, just so I could hear his voice and solidify the fact that the dream was not real.  I dreamed he drowned.  March 25, 2004, three weeks later, my son did indeed pass away in his sleep.  He was at the same friends house he was at when I had my bad dream.  The autopsy report stated he died from accidental possitional asphyxia.  In other words, he died in his sleep, because he couldn't breathe.  We cannot breathe when we are drowning.  He was 20 years old, it has been almost 2 years, and I almost never sleep anymore because I am scared to.  Who will be next?  I am on sleeping medication, and have sought councelling, but I still have to stay up late at night until I reach pass out point before I can go to bed.  I always remember my dreams, and sleep very deeply.  I fight in my sleep, talk in my sleep, have lenghthy conversations, and am very authoritive in my sleep.  I am always commanding someone to do something.  Weird I know. I have sleep apnea I believe, as one doctor told me I did.  Another just said I was over weight. Which I don't really think 20 lbs would make that much difference.  Anyway, I just thought I would let you know I think dreams warn us also. 

I am so sorry to hear of your son.  What did your therapist say about it? 

My dreams almost always has me searching for my daughter.  I can never find her.  No matter what the subject of the dream, I am always looking for her feeling that she is in danger.  That I know of, she is never harmed but there is this impending doom on my mind!  Weird huh? 

January 25, 2006, 7:01 am CST

get professional help

What should not be missed in all of these discussions is that if you feel you have a sleep disorder, you should consult a sleep physician. Sleep centers are available throughout the world and can help a lot more than consulting a neighbor, friend or even your primary care physician. There are sleep disorders that consist of getting up and acting out dreams- REM Behavior Disorder. Although it would be nice to work through everything with relaxation therapy, there can often be an additional need for pharmaceutical treatment. Sleep physicians are trained to recognize and treat these disorders, and can bring about the most effective treatment. Finally, if you have respiratory problems in your sleep, as have been mentioned on this board, it is ESSENTIAL to receive treatment (surgery, CPAP), because this can otherwise result in heart failure, stroke, high blood pressure, and death.

January 25, 2006, 7:33 am CST

We will prevail!

Quote From: ems1102

I have to admit that even though I knew  I could not be the only going though this, just having other stories that resemble mine... it's very comforting.  I was lucky enough to be asked to go on the show... the footage shown on TV was a footage that I hadn't seen before until the taping. My reaction to seeing "her" for the first time out of my head, well, that in itself was... bizarre yet it gave me a relief. 

I will keep posting here as I go through the steps that Dr Phil has so kindly offered to provide for me and I will let you know what comes out from all this. Maybe my experience will be help others.  I hope it does. 

There is help for us and I'm sure there is a way to control this... we just have to hang on. 

ems 

Hi Nat, 

I saw the show on Tuesday, I found it both fascinating and informative. Dr. Phil is very wise, and I am thankful he put this show together. I am happy for you that you are finding help. I too know how difficult that can be. I have seen my doctor twice regarding depression, and have been turned away. Here in Peterborough, ON. there is a very large waiting list for psychiatrists, and they didn’t think I my problem was that serious. I have tried to open up to friends as well, but I find most just don’t understand. I usually get the comment, “everybody gets depressed form time to time”… not exactly. I have been working on this for several years, and I know I’m getting better. I was at my lowest point last year, I would think of suicide daily. Of course I would never, but constantly thinking about it really brought me down. This year is much better for me, I have a whole new outlook on life, and I try to squash any and all negative thoughts. There is much to be said for the power of positive thinking, which is extremely difficult when you are on a low. When I start getting negative, I try to go do something positive. I find exercise helps tremendously. Talking about it or writing, like I’m doing now is also beneficial. Just always remember you are never alone, there are great people out there who want to help, like Dr. Phil! 

-Steve  

January 25, 2006, 7:52 am CST

To ems1102

Quote From: ems1102

I have to admit that even though I knew  I could not be the only going though this, just having other stories that resemble mine... it's very comforting.  I was lucky enough to be asked to go on the show... the footage shown on TV was a footage that I hadn't seen before until the taping. My reaction to seeing "her" for the first time out of my head, well, that in itself was... bizarre yet it gave me a relief. 

I will keep posting here as I go through the steps that Dr Phil has so kindly offered to provide for me and I will let you know what comes out from all this. Maybe my experience will be help others.  I hope it does. 

There is help for us and I'm sure there is a way to control this... we just have to hang on. 

ems 

Hello ems. Am I correct in assuming by this post that you are the lady featured on Tuesday's show? I missed the very beginning of your segment but certain parts of it really resonated with me. I, too, had a recurring nightmare although it was not as pervasive or debilitating as yours. What struck a chord with me was the very brief film clip of a house and dog. It gave me a strong sense of deja vu because they closely resembled the house I lived in when I had the nightmares, and the dog we had at the time. The house had a history of a murder back in the 1950s and I often wonder if that was somehow the source of my nightmares. After I moved from the house I had the nightmare only once, then never again. I never felt afraid of anything in the house, though, except for during the nightmare. I truly hope you find a way to resolve this. Please keep us informed of your progress. 

Cheers, 

BeachHouse 

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last