Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 25, 2006, 2:26 pm CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Quote From: sjb1961

By "sleep paralysis," do you mean - you are rather awake and alert, but cannot move?  You may be able to hear what is going on around you, but can't respond for several seconds or minutes?  That it takes all your stength and concentration to move one limb, and when you do, you are free?  Is it oppressive and terrifying?  I'd like more details - I had this, but more than 25 years ago - I'm cured. 

That is exactly what I mean. How did you  cure it? I used to get really scared, Now I know it will pass and I can relax myself. I don't have much of a problem now, rarely happens. I'm not sure if it is because of age or seizure meds, but my daughter is having a big problem. My son doesn't seem as concerned. However we all experience the some symptoms -just like you discribed.

January 25, 2006, 2:43 pm CST

book Dr. Phil mentioned!!

I am having the hardest time finding out the book Dr. Phil mentioned at the end of the show.  It wasn't Dr. Lawlis' book - it was written by a woman on dreams.  Does anyone know?  I really want to get this book!  Thanks!

January 25, 2006, 3:03 pm CST

ABOUT YOUR DREAMS

Quote From: apprelle

I dont usually have nightmares mostly i just dream. I dream everynight or everytime i sleep. But most nights i dream all night and i wake up feeling like i didnt sleep at all. Im always tired and cranky from lack of sleep. I usually remember my dreams or something during the day triggers it and i remember. Sometimes i have to think if it was something that i dreamed or if it was real. It really  bugs me and my doctor just shrugs it off. Does anyone know why this could be happening or have any suggestions.
    I HAVE THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME BUT SOMETIMES I WILL DOZE OFF AND SEE THINGS AND THEN THE NEXT DAY IT WILL HAPPEN  LIKE ONE TIME I DOZED OFF AND SEEN TO CARS HIT AND THE NEXT  DAY I GOT IN A WRECK ITS CRAZY  BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DOCTOR FOR IT  SO NOT SURE WHY IT HAPPENS I HAVE TRIED A FEW DIFF THINGS BUT NOTHING WORKS SLEEPING PILLS AND STAYING AWAKE NOTHING WORKS FOR ME SORRY I COULDNT HELP MORE   KFLOVE26 READ MINE IT IS RIGHT ABOVE YOURS

January 25, 2006, 6:07 pm CST

Anyone else experience this?

I don't usually watch due to work, but I caught yesterday's episode and was really surprised to find that night terrors was part of the topic.  I am 28 and have had the terrors and sleepwalking/talking  for most of my life, but they got worse in my twenties.  According to research, it is fairly normal for small children to have them, but it is not normal to not outgrow them.  Until I lived with someone, I didn't realize how much I had them.  From what I've read, night terrors are caused by a malfunction of the brain.  Normally, when we sleep our brain paralyzes our body so that we don't act out our dreams.  In night terrors and sleep walking, this "override" doesn't work, so we are essentially dreaming with our eyes open.   

Personally, I have a wide range of night terrors---sometimes I see people or things (like giant bugs or other "monsters") while other times it is an event, like the walls of my room cracking, crumbling and falling in on me.  Sometimes the ceiling is coming closer and closer and I am afraid of being crushed.  The really weird thing is that I often have these with the lights on and they last for several seconds.  A few nights ago I fell asleep with the lights on and I "saw" a man slip in behind my door.  I sat up, looked at the clock (it was 1:34), looked again, could still see his hand.  Luckily I'm getting used to them, in a way, and I've also found that doing some research into them has helped me find some logic.  Knowing that it is just my brain shorting out a bit has made it easier for me to talk myself down.    I also occasionally experience sleep paralysis, where my brain paralyzes my body before I'm asleep.  I can't move or talk, but I'm fully consious.  Very scary.  If this happens to you or you want to know more, check out this site by a sleep researcher at the U of Waterloo. 

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html 

It was very helpful to me. 

January 25, 2006, 7:20 pm CST

Quote From: lebrielle

That is exactly what I mean. How did you  cure it? I used to get really scared, Now I know it will pass and I can relax myself. I don't have much of a problem now, rarely happens. I'm not sure if it is because of age or seizure meds, but my daughter is having a big problem. My son doesn't seem as concerned. However we all experience the some symptoms -just like you discribed.

Well, I don't know if you read my other post ("cure for night terrors - it takes faith"), but this also is very dark and oppressive in nature, which means it doesn't come from a good place.  ACtually, when I became a Christian, these attacks greatly diminished, but not entirely.  When it happened from time to time, to fight this "force" I spoke the name of Jesus out loud; it was instantly gone.  It takes faith in Christ; all we see in the world is NOT all there is!  There are dark forces at work which seek to destroy, in so many ways.  My mother had this exact problem - I never knew it was called "sleep paralysis" as mine ended over 20 years ago, before the term was coined, I suppose.  Doctors really can't treat it, if it's not science...... 

Just have faith, and pray.  Pray a lot!  Pray before bed, prayers of protection and covering, each and every night.  God is there and he does care!   

God bless -  

Susan 

January 25, 2006, 7:23 pm CST

Caffeine & Night Terrors

I have had these so called "night terrors" or "nightmares" where I feel like my life is being threatened in some way. My wife and I have noticed that when I have these " night terrors" it is usually after I have either drank Coke or Pepsi before going to bed. Also they happen after eating a lot of chocolate right before going to bed. So if you have this problem try eliminating caffeine in your pre-bedtime ritual. Try this and please reply back if it works because I know it works for me and I'm curious to see if my "theory" is correct. Good Luck!  

January 25, 2006, 7:29 pm CST

I Become Paralized

I have dreams where I wake up and I'm still dreaming, I'm still in the dream but I can't move at all or scream no matter how hard I try.  If I give in and close my eyes the dream picks up right where it left off so I keep fighting to wake up but I can't move.  It is terrifying.  My husband says that sometimes I'll sit straight up in bed and scream so loud that I sound like I'm being hurt. 

Does anyone else do this? 

January 25, 2006, 7:33 pm CST

Quote From: muszelko

Isn't that a little extreme? I'm a Catholic too but I am a firm believer that dreams are composed of subconcious thought and they can range from being very mildy vivid to extremely vivid. I know for one that I can smell, touch, taste, feel pain, see in colour and hear in my dreams I often have a very hard time becoming lucid in dreams because of the fact that they are so realistic. 

I don't believe Nathalie is demonically possessed, she might infact be but re-occuring nightmares or even re-occuring dreams are a very common problem that most people have. I suggest that she should consider learning to become lucid in her dreams so that she can physically deal with 'Amy' in the dream and face her sub-conscious fear. 

Since she has undergone so much, tried so many things, medicine, therapy etc., etc., I don't see how consulting with a priest could be considered extreme.  I could be wrong.  But she also spoke of how she saw this girl while driving in her car - not asleep - not a dream.  I never would have thought twice about this had I not started reading about exorcism after watching the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose."  This was based on a true story, and we purchased books on the subject of exorcism and it's history in order to better understand.  There is no denying the existance of evil.  If we know it exists, then we need to be armed against it.  If they are just dreams...then she'll have to work her way through the issues.  Personally, I would want to make sure I wasn't a target of evil.

January 25, 2006, 7:39 pm CST

Re: Dreams

Quote From: apprelle

I dont usually have nightmares mostly i just dream. I dream everynight or everytime i sleep. But most nights i dream all night and i wake up feeling like i didnt sleep at all. Im always tired and cranky from lack of sleep. I usually remember my dreams or something during the day triggers it and i remember. Sometimes i have to think if it was something that i dreamed or if it was real. It really  bugs me and my doctor just shrugs it off. Does anyone know why this could be happening or have any suggestions.
I too have constant dreams while sleeping. I've tried sleep herbs, over the counter and prescription drugs, counseling, acupuncture, massage, tons of naturopath suggestions, diet changes,  and a sleep study. Nothing has helped. I completely understand your phrase 'tired and cranky'. I wish I had something to offer that would help. The next thing on my list to try will be hormone/chemical imbalance testing-if there is such a thing.?? My  search continues........

January 25, 2006, 8:17 pm CST

Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Dr. Phil, 

I have been around this old world for a long time.  I have a long history of therapy since I was 21.  That is 50 years.  I got well about a year ago.  I had Group therapy where there was quite a bit done in Group work.  I can read dreams very easily especially if they are my dreams.  All of the things in the dream relate, feeling wise, to something in your life.  I had the same dream every night for two years.  Once when I awakened from the dream, I kept my eyes closed while I went through the different parts of the dream.  I connected what had the same feeling with me that was in the dream.  I never had the dream again.   

I can read my own dreams quickly as I know myself.  To read the dreams of others, one must either know much about the person or else ask questions about the things in his/her life that have the same feelings as the person experienced in the dream.   

The following gave me insight into what a dream is.  I drifted off to sleep in a chair while watching TV with the remote in my hand.  I dropped the remote and it awakened me just as I was drifting off to sleep.  I could see myself putting pictures onto the thoughts that came drifting by.  That is what a dream is to me.   

As a little kid, I would sometimes dream that a big black bear was after me.  I was very scared of the bear, but I couldn't run.  I was always awake before the bear got me.  Now, my Dad had cold black hair, and he would get his switch out to dicipline me about something.  I would be scared and have the same feeling in the dream.  The black hair represented the black bear and the switching represented what I was so afraid of.   

Dreams can be really creative.  I always felt much better if I went through the dream to see what it was about.  That is why it can be difficult for a person to see what it is about. 

I worked my way through and got a BSEE when I was in college.  I went to work almost every day until I got to where I just could not remember things.  I led a very stressful life.  When I was about 30, I was sleeping one night a week.  That is, I would crash on Friday nights and there would be only dozing without going to sleep until the next Friday night.  That was a tough row to hoe.   

I had two children and that gave me unbelievable motivation  to keep driving on.  I could see that what I was going to do with my kids was exactly what had been done to me.  At about 30, I divorced their mother and worked all over this country and in some foreign lands.  I could provide the money, and she could raise them.   

The doctor at the VA a couple of years ago write a letter to the "little Harold" of long ago and help him with his problems.   While writing this letter all of the stress suddenly lifted and the real me was back inside for the first time in 50 or more years.  At first I jumped for joy for a couple of weeks, and then it was almost sickening to see all I had missed in life.   

I worked on that letter for about a year.  I could put the real me back inside.  At first I had to read that letter about every day or two.  That spread out to over a month or two.  Now, I do not have to read it at all as I now have the real me back inside.  That is, any fictional me is no longer there.   

Harold B. 

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last