Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2006, 5:45 am CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

I watched the show on night terrors, I'm going to take the suggestion that you gave to the married couple I'm hoping that will work  for me too. I've been under so much stress in the last year a lot of things have had happen.  I want to get some relaxing music or even ocean sounds, these night terrors have been going on for 35 years.  I talked to my case worker from the mental health center he said it comes from sexual abuse as a child. Some of my friends told me I'll have them for the rest of my life. Is this true ? Or can I over come my night terrors? Or will I have them for the rest of my life? Does it have something to do with my mental illnesses? I'm always looking for answers about my night terrors. 

lostgirl 

January 26, 2006, 6:06 am CST

Quote From: kflove26

I HAVE THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME BUT SOMETIMES I WILL DOZE OFF AND SEE THINGS AND THEN THE NEXT DAY IT WILL HAPPEN  LIKE ONE TIME I DOZED OFF AND SEEN TO CARS HIT AND THE NEXT  DAY I GOT IN A WRECK ITS CRAZY  BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DOCTOR FOR IT  SO NOT SURE WHY IT HAPPENS I HAVE TRIED A FEW DIFF THINGS BUT NOTHING WORKS SLEEPING PILLS AND STAYING AWAKE NOTHING WORKS FOR ME SORRY I COULDNT HELP MORE   KFLOVE26 READ MINE IT IS RIGHT ABOVE YOURS
  Thats funny that u say u thigns and they happen cause i have had that happen to. Like one dream i had of going to a chinese restaurant and the people were wearing black and white uniforms. I totally forgot the dream until the next day. My fiancees mom called and asked me to go out for lunch we ended up going for chinese and when i saw the waitress dressed in black and white i remembered my dream. Thats not the first time either. I like you have not been to the doctoer but have tried different things and nothing works.

January 26, 2006, 8:29 am CST

WHAT??

Dr. Phil,

I CANNOT believe that you told the family with the man with night terrors/sleep walking to lock the bedroom doors of their daughters to protect them. What were you thinking? That is so dangerous! What if there was an emergency in the night like a fire? And suggesting that they tie his foot to the bedpost??? WHAT?? That is also dangerous!

I think the best solution would be to have the husband sleep in a room alone until his terrors are under control (to protect his wife) and put a motion sensor in the doorway of the room he is sleeping in so that the wife can be alarmed when he leaves the room. This way nobody is locked up or tied up!!

My son had night terrors almost nightly from age 5-7, when he was 7 I saw a show on ABC News, I think it was Primetime and there was a mom on it with a child who had night terrors. She decided to keep a journal of what times the child was having the terrors. Then she would go in about 10-15 minutes before the usual time of his terrors and rouse him ever so slightly, just enough to interupt his REM sleep. We tried this and it really works, but only for people who have night terrors regularly.

Now my son, almost 11, has been having "mini" night terrors (not as bad as when he was younger, no screaming just still sleeping and upset) / sleep walking  and just recently sleep eating. We've determined that for him the trigger is seeing a scary image, on tv, in a book etc. The most recent episode we think was from seeing a scary dvd cover at the store.

My husband is goign to be installing a motion sensor in our son's doorway so we are always alerted when he leaves his room.

Angie

January 26, 2006, 9:33 am CST

Quote From: angieasmom

Dr. Phil,

I CANNOT believe that you told the family with the man with night terrors/sleep walking to lock the bedroom doors of their daughters to protect them. What were you thinking? That is so dangerous! What if there was an emergency in the night like a fire? And suggesting that they tie his foot to the bedpost??? WHAT?? That is also dangerous!

I think the best solution would be to have the husband sleep in a room alone until his terrors are under control (to protect his wife) and put a motion sensor in the doorway of the room he is sleeping in so that the wife can be alarmed when he leaves the room. This way nobody is locked up or tied up!!

My son had night terrors almost nightly from age 5-7, when he was 7 I saw a show on ABC News, I think it was Primetime and there was a mom on it with a child who had night terrors. She decided to keep a journal of what times the child was having the terrors. Then she would go in about 10-15 minutes before the usual time of his terrors and rouse him ever so slightly, just enough to interupt his REM sleep. We tried this and it really works, but only for people who have night terrors regularly.

Now my son, almost 11, has been having "mini" night terrors (not as bad as when he was younger, no screaming just still sleeping and upset) / sleep walking  and just recently sleep eating. We've determined that for him the trigger is seeing a scary image, on tv, in a book etc. The most recent episode we think was from seeing a scary dvd cover at the store.

My husband is goign to be installing a motion sensor in our son's doorway so we are always alerted when he leaves his room.

Angie

The point was to lock the doors so that the girls could get out and the mother could get in, but he couldn't get in- that way no one is in danger when he has his night terrors. Dr. Phil did suggest they sleep in seperate rooms for a time, but that still won't stop him from having night terrors that may lead to him hurting himself or others. Your idea about waking slightly from sleep a few minutes before routine terrors will only work if the night terrors are routine- otherwise there's no way of telling when the night terrors will occur. Plus, if night terrors are as frequent as two or three per night, then the person who has the terrors will get very little quality sleep- possibly leading to more night terrors, not less. 

Personally, I think we should leave the professional advice to the professionals or those with access to the professionals and the people seeking the advice. None of us here know as much as Dr. Phil and his team about these particular people, and I would trust his advice. 

January 26, 2006, 10:05 am CST

Children's Benadryl

Quote From: beckywelch

Maybe you could ask your doctor about this medication.  It worked for my son and if you're interested I could explain more to you about how the medicine works and why it works. 

Becky 

Becky 

I had originally wrote that this has helped my son with his night terrors.  I would be very interested to learn what you know about how Children's Benadryl works and why it works.  Thanks 

Thankful6 

January 26, 2006, 11:50 am CST

My Opinion, my_2angels!!!!!!!!

Quote From: my_2angels

The point was to lock the doors so that the girls could get out and the mother could get in, but he couldn't get in- that way no one is in danger when he has his night terrors. Dr. Phil did suggest they sleep in seperate rooms for a time, but that still won't stop him from having night terrors that may lead to him hurting himself or others. Your idea about waking slightly from sleep a few minutes before routine terrors will only work if the night terrors are routine- otherwise there's no way of telling when the night terrors will occur. Plus, if night terrors are as frequent as two or three per night, then the person who has the terrors will get very little quality sleep- possibly leading to more night terrors, not less. 

Personally, I think we should leave the professional advice to the professionals or those with access to the professionals and the people seeking the advice. None of us here know as much as Dr. Phil and his team about these particular people, and I would trust his advice. 

Yes I know the point was to lock the doors so the girls could get out and only the mother get in! But exactly how does that work? The only thing I can think of to keep the dad out would be a lock with a key, right? Well, if there is a fire in the house the mom does not need to be fumbling with a key to try and get her daughters out. A motion sensor seems like a much more reasonable idea, that way the wife knows when her husband is up and out of his room and she can try to make sure he IS safe. If they just go with locked doors and the wife is sleeping in another room he could sleepwalk out of the house and hurt himself or an innocent person!!!! None of this stuff will stop him from having night terrrors but they have to do something for the safety of all until he finds something that helps him get them under control!

Yes, if you would read my post I said that the only way the waking slightly works is if the person has regular night terrors! I posted this information for people to read and consider if they happen to have a situation where a loved one has REGULAR night terrors. I never said it was information or advice for everyone!! This worked in the past with my son because he had REGULAR night terrors, but now that he doesn't have regular ones this method doesn't work!!

Yea sure, we can leave the advise to the professionals but not all professionals  have good, safe advice. NOBODY could convince me that EVERY SPECK of advice Dr. Phil has ever given out is good advice! I like some of Dr. Phil's shows but I don't always agree with his advice, that is my right!! People have to also use their own common sense to realize that locking doors and tying people to a bed is NOT safe!! That is a no brainer!

The problem that can arise is people become such devoted "Dr. Phil" fans and try to use every piece of advice he gives just because they are a fan. Everyone needs to look at the advice and figure out for themselves if the advice is right for them or not! This is a message board for all kinds of opinions and my opinion is that it was bad advice. I'm allowed my opinion!

I'm certainly not going to argue round and round with you on this message board. I've stated my opinion and I'm sticking with it!

Angie

January 26, 2006, 12:20 pm CST

Wow...

Quote From: angieasmom

Yes I know the point was to lock the doors so the girls could get out and only the mother get in! But exactly how does that work? The only thing I can think of to keep the dad out would be a lock with a key, right? Well, if there is a fire in the house the mom does not need to be fumbling with a key to try and get her daughters out. A motion sensor seems like a much more reasonable idea, that way the wife knows when her husband is up and out of his room and she can try to make sure he IS safe. If they just go with locked doors and the wife is sleeping in another room he could sleepwalk out of the house and hurt himself or an innocent person!!!! None of this stuff will stop him from having night terrrors but they have to do something for the safety of all until he finds something that helps him get them under control!

Yes, if you would read my post I said that the only way the waking slightly works is if the person has regular night terrors! I posted this information for people to read and consider if they happen to have a situation where a loved one has REGULAR night terrors. I never said it was information or advice for everyone!! This worked in the past with my son because he had REGULAR night terrors, but now that he doesn't have regular ones this method doesn't work!!

Yea sure, we can leave the advise to the professionals but not all professionals  have good, safe advice. NOBODY could convince me that EVERY SPECK of advice Dr. Phil has ever given out is good advice! I like some of Dr. Phil's shows but I don't always agree with his advice, that is my right!! People have to also use their own common sense to realize that locking doors and tying people to a bed is NOT safe!! That is a no brainer!

The problem that can arise is people become such devoted "Dr. Phil" fans and try to use every piece of advice he gives just because they are a fan. Everyone needs to look at the advice and figure out for themselves if the advice is right for them or not! This is a message board for all kinds of opinions and my opinion is that it was bad advice. I'm allowed my opinion!

I'm certainly not going to argue round and round with you on this message board. I've stated my opinion and I'm sticking with it!

Angie

I didn't realize my post was so offensive to you. I apologize. That wasn't my intent. There are locks that you can buy which have certain locking mechanisms that are very easy to trigger, if you know the way to do it. As long as the husband doesn't know how, the girls are safe and mom can trigger the mechanism, easily, in the case of an emergency. I don't see how tying someone to a bed or locking a room is anymore dangerous then someone who sleep walks and tries to suffocate his wife in these terrors. It's a manner of choosing the lesser of two evils. Motion sensors are more expensive then locks- though I'm sure that those concerned appreciate the suggestion. I, however, never discredited it, so I really don't see why you're so upset. 

And it certainly is your right to disagree with Dr. Phil. Lord knows I've done my share of disagreeing with him. I'm certainly not so "devoted" that I would use every bit of advice. I was just pointing out the fact that I disagreed with you. That is my right. 

Really, I think you should take a deep breath. You are seeing perscution and offense where there was none. I really have no desire to argue with you anymore then you have to argue with me.  

January 26, 2006, 1:04 pm CST

son with night terrors to

Quote From: my_2angels

My son has also suffered from night terrors since the age of 2. They have been happening less and less but each time they are worse. He is now 10 every doctors says he will grow out if this. Im afraid for him to spend the night at friends houses and with other family members. I personally havent slept through the night in years out of fear of not hearing him when he wakes up. Sometimes he throws things hits people think Im in danger and dreams of shapes that are always going to hurt one of us. He wants me to do strange things like stand in certain places or sit on the edge of the bed and not move at all. The last time he was hitting his head against the bathroom mirror screaming mom we are stuck and we are gonna die. He is perfectly able to open doors locks and walk down the stairs during a night terror and the next day has no idea that anything has happened.  His heart beats so rapidly and its scares me to death.  

Helpless mom 

January 26, 2006, 5:59 pm CST

Quote From: momfor3

My son has also suffered from night terrors since the age of 2. They have been happening less and less but each time they are worse. He is now 10 every doctors says he will grow out if this. Im afraid for him to spend the night at friends houses and with other family members. I personally havent slept through the night in years out of fear of not hearing him when he wakes up. Sometimes he throws things hits people think Im in danger and dreams of shapes that are always going to hurt one of us. He wants me to do strange things like stand in certain places or sit on the edge of the bed and not move at all. The last time he was hitting his head against the bathroom mirror screaming mom we are stuck and we are gonna die. He is perfectly able to open doors locks and walk down the stairs during a night terror and the next day has no idea that anything has happened.  His heart beats so rapidly and its scares me to death.  

Helpless mom 

I have suffered with night terrors since the age of 9.  The doctor also told my parents that I would grow out of them.  I am 44 and guess I'm still growing!  I have hit and thrown people, put fists through windows.  Tore closet doors of their hinges.  Fallen down the stairs and suffered concussions.  Split my forhead open just above my left eye, requiring stitches.  Always, with the same fear - trying to get away from someone or something.  After many years of psychiatric help - even paying thousands of dollars out of my own pocket, I've tried psycho therapy, hypnosis, message therapy, bio-feedback, accu-puncture, herbs and lord only knows what else.  The only thing I find that helps keep the terror dormat is medication.  I was put on Clonopin in my 20's and my terrors went from 6+ a night to 1 - 2 a month.  My doctor switched me to Trazadone, 25mg at bedtime, about 2 years ago.  As long as I remember to take my meds, and go to bed at nearly the same time every night - not stay up late, I don't have any terror attacks.  It has been a long road, especially for my family and friends, who have lived thru my night terrors.  Still to this day if I stay the night with any one of them they don't sleep well, thinking I will have one anytime!  Old habits are hard to break.  If there is something (medication wise) they could give your son, on a trial basis, I highly recommend it.  Like I said, I only take 1/2 tab. at bedtime and that is it!  I hope your son does not have to go through what I have, there is so much available to him, that wasn't when I was his age.  Good luck and God bless.

January 26, 2006, 11:44 pm CST

What is it?

Every since I can remember I have exspireced unexplainable happenings both wide awake and a sleep.  For instance I was about 3yrs old while asleep I was awaken to the sensation that I was being grabbed by unseen hands from the back and it did'nt just let go I had to cry first.  Next I lived in a three story house.  I had a play room in the basement.  While in my play room I could hear my mother call me but when I get to her she had'nt called me at all she would be on the phone!  Another, my cousin and I saw a transparent bloody hand at the same time.  I have been raped by a unseen person on a number of occassions, I hear voices when I sleep alone.  My husband have heard the tv.  cut off,   you remember the tv.s with the knobs?  Yes, we both heard it turn off!  We have heard things fall and look for what it was and nothing was found and I have been elevated off of my bed and the list goes on.  My story does'nt sound like night terrors. I have found that my episods have deminished to a certain degree since I have become a baptized witness but I still suffer rape from time to time.  I took it to my elder who told me I was dreaming.  It does't fill like a dream this is real when it is happening.  Before it happens I can feel it coming, I can't stop it I can see everything around me and I remember the intire thing and it never happens when my husband is around. 

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last