Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 24, 2006, 6:21 pm CST

i am new to the message board

DEAR DOCTOR PHIL MY NAME IS KELLY AND I HAD TWO GUYS COME IN MY HOUSE IN SEPT OF 05 MY HUSBAND AND MY 8 YEAR OLD SON HAD JUST LEFT TO GET THERE HAIR CUT AND  ME AND MY 3 YEAR OLD TWIN GIRLS WAS HOME I HAD THE FRONT DOOR OPEN AND WE WAS IN THE BED ROOM I WAS BRUSHING MY HAIR WHEN TO MEN CAME IN TO MY BED ROOM THE ONE PUT A GUN TO MY HEAD AND I SMACKED IT AWAY AND TURNED AND LOOKED AT HIM HE THEN  HIT ME IN MY HEAD WITH THE GUN AND KOCKED ME ON MY BED WHEN  I WENT TO GET UP  MY ALARM CLOCK CORD WAS TANGELED IN MY HAIR SO I PULLED IT OUT OF MY HAIR AND JUMPED UP WHEN I DID THIS THE MAN WITH THE GUN PICKED UP ONE OF MY TWINS AND PUT THE GUN TO  HER HEAD AND TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM ALL MY MONEY I TOLD HIM I DID NOT HAVE ANY  AND HE STOOD THERE FOR A FEW MINS AND THEN THEY TURNED AND STARTED RUNNING TO THE DOOR I GOT UP AND WENT AFTER THEM  I FOUND OUT WHO ONE OF THEM WAS AND HE WENT TO JAIL FOR   FOUR MONTHS AFTER EVERYTHING HE DID THATS ALL THE TIME HE GOT ANYWAYS  I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW THE ALARM CLOCK CORD GOT IN MY HAIR AND MY BABY TOLD ME THE OTHER DAY  SHE SAID MOMMY DO U REMEMBER WHEN THE MAN  HIT YOU IN THE HEAD WITH THE CLOCK AND PUT THE CORD ON YOUR NECK  AND I WAS LIKE WHAT AND SHE SAID IT AGAIN SHE SAID THE MAN WITH THE GUN  I THOUGHT SHE HAD FORGOT ABOUT IT WE NEVER TALK ABOUT IT AND  A YEAR AND 5 MONTHS LATER SHE SAID THAT ANYWAYS I  HAVE ALOT OF TROUBLE SLEEPING AT NIGHT AND WHEN I DO GO TO SLEEP I HAVE REALLY BAD DREAMS THAT SOMEONE IS BREAKING IN MY HOUSE AND TRYING TO KILL ME OR RAPEING MY KIDS AND I DONT NO WHAT TO DO  I HAVE A PITT BULL DOG THAT SLEEPS WITH ME AND WHEN MY KIDS GO TO SLEEP I GET OUT THE GUN AND PUT IT UNDER MY PILLOW I CANT SLEEP WITH OUT THEM BECAUSE MY HUSBAND WORKS 3RD SHIFT BUT WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING BEFOR THE KIDS GET UP I LOCK THE GUN BACK UP   DR PHIL HOW CAN I MAKE THIS STOP I AM REALLY REALLY  SCARED FOR ME AND MY KIDS  I HAVE ALWAYS HAD REALLY BAD DREAMS LIKE MEN RAPEING AND KILLING ME BUT NOW I HAVE THEM EVERY NIGHT   HELP

January 24, 2006, 6:28 pm CST

night terrors not the same as terror with nightmares

Quote From: mkh0505

I have done a whole lot of research on night terrors and sleep disorders of this nature.  When a child has night terrors, they will most likely outgrow them.  I feel that it is almost considered normal for a child to have some sort of sleep-walking tendancies.  I think that the problem is when the terrors start later in life.  Good luck, and I hope your child outgrows these scary things!  

There's a difference between night terrors, which usually occur in children and most times are outgrown and terror associated with nightmares. When a child has night terrors, they will not generally remember anything. It is the people around them who are frightened by there screams.  

\AS for Benedryl, though generally safe, you might what to check before giving it on a regular basis for something that is probably more troublesome to the adults. I would talk to a doctor. I never heard of ADHD causes night terrors. Would be interesting to check into. 

January 24, 2006, 6:33 pm CST

Missed the boat

Dr. Phil,
I am sorry that your Emote line didn't include disapointed.
I saw your show today about dreams of terror and sleepwalking and feel you really missed a golden opportunity when talking to the woman with the reoccouring nightmare of a girl hanging in her shower.  This woman mentioned more than once that the smell was always the same.  You should have investigated further into exactly what the smell was.  What it smelled like.  She might be smelling this  when she sleeps.  It has been long established that the sense of smell can evoke a hidden or forgotton  memory better than any other sensory stimuli.  Please tell me why you chose to ignore this part of the discription of the dream.
Allan

January 24, 2006, 6:36 pm CST

sleep paralysis

Anyone with experience with sleep paralysis ? I know it can be assiated with anxiety or narcolepsy. i seizure and used frequently  wake up experiencing sleep paralysis. The somewhat strange thing is, not knowing it, both of my children, 22, and 25 , do the same thing. My son has a history of slepp problems, night terrors and sleep walking as a child- even in the hospital (at birth) the nurses were teasing me about his sleep habits - he was 1 day old. My daughter has a history of seizures as a child and fainting Both were horrible sleepers as children.

January 24, 2006, 7:25 pm CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

I am a sleep tech at the University of Virginia Medical center.  I watch the show and was surprised that over night sleep studies were not suggested more.  Sometimes REM behavior disorder  will cause violent behavior while sleeping.  A sleep study can show what problems there may be.  I have worked in this profession for 11 years now and have seen Night terrors, sleep walking , REM behavior disorder, narcalepsy, seizures, and apnea.  Sometimes the cure is very simple, and with all of these problems, I believe an over night study is the first step to rule out other underlying problems.

January 24, 2006, 7:31 pm CST

Quote From: lebrielle

Anyone with experience with sleep paralysis ? I know it can be assiated with anxiety or narcolepsy. i seizure and used frequently  wake up experiencing sleep paralysis. The somewhat strange thing is, not knowing it, both of my children, 22, and 25 , do the same thing. My son has a history of slepp problems, night terrors and sleep walking as a child- even in the hospital (at birth) the nurses were teasing me about his sleep habits - he was 1 day old. My daughter has a history of seizures as a child and fainting Both were horrible sleepers as children.

By "sleep paralysis," do you mean - you are rather awake and alert, but cannot move?  You may be able to hear what is going on around you, but can't respond for several seconds or minutes?  That it takes all your stength and concentration to move one limb, and when you do, you are free?  Is it oppressive and terrifying?  I'd like more details - I had this, but more than 25 years ago - I'm cured. 

January 24, 2006, 7:33 pm CST

Quote From: whitervn44

I am a sleep tech at the University of Virginia Medical center.  I watch the show and was surprised that over night sleep studies were not suggested more.  Sometimes REM behavior disorder  will cause violent behavior while sleeping.  A sleep study can show what problems there may be.  I have worked in this profession for 11 years now and have seen Night terrors, sleep walking , REM behavior disorder, narcalepsy, seizures, and apnea.  Sometimes the cure is very simple, and with all of these problems, I believe an over night study is the first step to rule out other underlying problems.

Do you mean these things are actually cured medically?  Is that through medication, or what method(s)?  What about chronic insomnia - more than 10 years - any experience with that?   

January 24, 2006, 7:46 pm CST

Not remembering dreams

I haven't remembered a dream at all for about 30 or 35 years. Is that normal?

January 24, 2006, 8:09 pm CST

Recurring Nightmare and Sleep Paralysis

Quote From: sjb1961

Do you mean these things are actually cured medically?  Is that through medication, or what method(s)?  What about chronic insomnia - more than 10 years - any experience with that?   

Sleep Study was performed on me 15 years ago, showed I stopped breathing 19 times in 1 hour.  Told I had slight sleep apnea, and did not qualify for a machine.  How many times, must a person stop breathing within 1hour to qualify for sleep apnea breathing equipment? 

Also experience the paralysis, which is terrifying.  Told that a certain pod in the brain does not react before I wake up, and that is why I experience the paralysis.  What is the name of this condition or the name of that pod? 

Repeated nightmare for last 43 years about military men, guns, and me fighting side by side with soldier to  keep from being shot or actually being shot by the soldier.   I have never been in the military nor have I ever been a soldier, but have dreamt about war and soldiers for 43 years.  Do you know why?  Your expertise in this field for the last 11 years may be able to provide answers to my questions.  Thank you. 

January 24, 2006, 8:11 pm CST

Me Too!

Quote From: compdoc52

I haven't remembered a dream at all for about 30 or 35 years. Is that normal?
I haven't remembered a dream either for over 43 years, however, I do remember my reoccuring nightmare.  Wonder why?

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last