Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 24, 2006, 4:54 pm CST

a cure for night terrors - it takes faith!

I had night terrors off and on for 20 years, seeing terrible things, screaming at the top of my lungs, pulling furniture out from the walls, ripping the sheets off the bed, sleepwalking.  Nothing worked, until I prayed a simple prayer, EVERY single night before bed.   I am a Christian, so this was easy for me, and you have to believe that God does love you and wants to protect you.  I would simply ask God to cover me with the blood of Jesus; surround me with a hedge of angels; and then I would demand any darkness to be gone, in the name of Jesus.  They stopped that very night,  and didn't come back until 15 years later, when I stayed for three months in a very oppressive home.  They left again, when I left that home.   

Many of you will scoff at this, and I don't mean to be preaching, but these dreams, these terrors are very dark in nature, and seem evil, reallly.  They are NOT from a good source....trust me.  Pray a prayer of protection every night, and believe that it will be answered.  God bless. 

One other brief thing - I have a friend whose husband choked her in his sleep for over 10 years.  He finally used a drug called clonazepam - a benzodiazepene so can be difficult to get.  He sleeps deeply and has never disurbed her since. 

January 24, 2006, 5:01 pm CST

Where do you go for help?

I've had severe nightmares since I was a child which grew increasingly worse the older I got. These dreams are extremely vivid with not only sight and sound but touch, smell and taste. It takes me a long time to get to sleep because I'm so afriad but when I do fall asleep I go immediately into the dream and almost nothing can wake me. In the past I've woken up with bloody arms and legs where I tore my own skin off, sore lips and tongue and a mouth full of blood where I bite myself, arms and legs twisted under me at odd angles and turning blue. Even after getting married I would wake my husband screaming and kicking, falling out of bed and then crying for hours. The lack of sleep would also make me very paranoid during the day, unable to concentrate and sometimes even having visions of horrible things from my dreams while I was awake to the point of feeling haunted. It seemed to have gotten better the last couple years but just lately things have gotten worse. Now I have two new problems as well as the old ones. The first is that now I will wake from a dream only to find I am still dreaming and then wake from the dream only to find that I am STILL dreaming. This has gotten so bad that I never know if I'm really awake or asleep. The second is that I've stopped breathing and it doesn't seem to matter how I sleep or when. The first time this happened a week ago and I dreamt I was twisted up in my blankets and being smothered by them. I was finally able to wake myself, gasping for breath, to find I wasn't restricted at all. The second time I had a different dream but again it ended with me trapped in my covers and smothering. This time I woke to find myself paralyzed, face down pressed into the pillow, my mouth full of the pillow. For a good thirty seconds I STILL could not move or breath. I'm really very scared that I'll end up permanently hurting or even killing myself in my sleep since I can't wake up even when I'm hurting myself.

I did have a very very bad childhood which I won't go into but I really thought I'd worked through most of my issues. I really don't know what to do or who to see for help. If anyone knows where I can find a certified qualified sleep therapist or some other kind of help I'd be interested. Thanks for your time. Good luck and blessings, Prana

January 24, 2006, 5:03 pm CST

Sleepwalking and nightmares and sleeptalking

I began sleepwalking as far back as my memory goes to about age 5. I would usually be found asleep in an area suggesting seeking refuge, in hiding places. Looking back I wonder how I got into some of them. I continued to sleepwalk but lost the awareness that I was engaging in it, I would only know by being told by others, foster parents etc. having to take precautions because of it.  I also am an avid sleeptalker. Though no secrets get out, you can question me but apparently I answer to what seems like a question someone else besides the questioner was asking, it wasn't conversationally connected. I continued sleepwalking and think I still do by what my son says. But what bothers me the most are the nightmares and recurring dreams. I sleep but wake tired and feeling like I haven't slept in days, sometimes I have to give into a nap but try not to. I have spells where I will have severe sleep disburbances for extended periods of time, weeks or longer. I sleep one or two hours, wake from bad dream and can't get back to sleep. I wake up talking. This can go on all night and into the next day. I try to get 8 hours sleep but it is in piecemeals. It isn't restful. After the first week of this I notice depression sets in and the longer the disturbances continue the deeper the depression. Usually I begin to skip my sleep meds which I have obviously become immune to for several days so I can take a slam dose and sleep one night for at least 6 hours. If this doesn't stop the disturbances I then resort to adding OTC's such as Nyquil, and occasionally a shot or two of alcohol to my sleep meds. I don't know why I don't stop trying, the disturbances seem bent on lasting for as long as they are going to last and I need to just ride it out. However the depression and exhaustion just get so bad I sometimes feel I am going to go mad if I don't get some sleep. Also, I become almost physically paralyzed from fear when I have the dreams that I am trying to scream for help and my voice won't work, I can't yell, I can't get help, I become paralyzed like in the dream and for a short while after waking as well. Eventually the disturbances stop and I can sleep 6-8 hours again with only occasionally, so far as I know, sleepwalking, and the dreams don't wake me as often and become less vivid and sensory, but my son says I continue to talk. He never knows whether to come in and wake me or if I am on the net and just being verbal as I often do with my  computer. I usually ask him if I said something to him in the morning if he acts like he thinks I am mad at him when I am not. See, nights that I can't sleep sometimes I get to sleep at 6 am with some of my aids mentioned above and he gets up a little while later and asks for money or the car or something and he says I curse him out and start raging so he just walks out. The only positive aspect came when my husband woke one night and found me standing by the bed cursing that I couldn't get the shotgun loaded and I was loading it, he stopped his inappropriate sexual behaviors. But in all seriousness, though that did happen, I think sleep disturbances are cruel when they become so prevalent and persistent and deprivation takes it toll emotionally, mentally and physically.

January 24, 2006, 5:06 pm CST

Nightmare

My first husband was a bilateral amputee as a result of diabetes.  During his last months of life he was primarily bedridden.  When he wanted to sit up he would reach out and grab my arm and I would help pull him upright.  When he died we had decided to have his remains cremated.  Unfortunately I had not been told that when I went to the funeral home to make the arrangements for his cremation that I would have to identify his body before the cremation.  The funeral director handled the situation very tastefully and took me into a room with many empty coffins where my husband's body had been laid out in a coffin.  I identified him went upstairs and signed the rest of the papers necessary for the cremation.  A few weeks after his death I started having a nightmare that as I descended the stairs of the funeral home and stood there identifying him, he opened his eyes and reached for me.  One night I woke up screaming and scared the living daylights out of my dogs.  This dream continued on and off for the next three years.  Three years after his death I started dating my second husband.  One night when I slept over at my soon-to-be second husband I had my "nightmare" and woke up shaking and crying.  My lover took me in his arms, soothed me and told me I was sale.  I went back to sleep and never had the nightmare again.

January 24, 2006, 5:20 pm CST

NIGHT TERRORS

I too suffer from night terrors.  Besides the screaming and disturbed sleep patterns, I have waken to find myself over my boyfriend punching him on more than one occasion.  I suffer from PTSD, RLS, anxiety, and depression.  This past fall, my doctors recommended a sleep study for me.  This sleep study confirmed all that I have been saying.   I screamed and kicked, I had over 500 periodic limb movements during the less than 4 hours of combined sleep I had.  I never did achieve REM, which is the deep, resting state you should.  The one thing they did find that had not previously been diagnosed was obstructive sleep apnea.  Obstructive sleep apnea is when you stop breathing while you are sleeping.  This happens for very short periods of times, but many times during sleep.During my less than 4 hours, I had stopped breathing in excess of 60 times.  Side effects of long-standing untreated sleep apnea are many, and include depression, anxiety and sleep disturbance, such as night terrors.   I was set up with a CPAP machine in November, and have noticed major differences upon wakening in the morning.  It is helping me more and more as I adjust to the mask.  I had a second sleep study done with the CPAP machine and got 6 hours of undisturbed sleep with less than 5 periodic limb movements and no apnea.  I am not saying that everyone with night terrors has obstructive sleep apnea, but anyone with sleep disturbances that are affecting their day to day living should consider this a possibility to be looked into.  My boyfriend is able to get sleep now, and is not being beaten by me during the night.    I know I feel more rested in the morning and am not waking myself screaming anymore.

January 24, 2006, 5:25 pm CST

Message for Nathalie

I just finished reading the stories from today and am concerned about Nathalie.  Because she states that she feels a "coldness" and smells a "smell" during the times she sees "Amy", in addition to the fact that "Amy" is asking her to "come and play", I would suggest that she speak to a priest as soon as possible.  I have been reading a lot about demonic posession (i'm not just trying to scare anyone I am very serious about this) and these are signs that an evil spirit might be attempting to posess her.  She should by all means go through any testing that Dr. Phil suggests, but please, talk to a Catholic priest who might be able to offer you some help.  I am praying for you.

January 24, 2006, 5:25 pm CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Nathalie's case really stood out for me. I'm no expert in psychiatry, but it seems odd to me that she has the exact same recurring dream for 20 years, down to the last detail, and also that she has seen this little girl while awake.  After her parents divorce I could picture her having dreams with abandonment as a recurring theme, but the exact dream? I definitely believe in exhausting all chemical and psychological possibilities, but that done I wouldn't rule out the paranormal. 

January 24, 2006, 5:29 pm CST

Dr Phil Show.

Doctor Phil. I said that nightmare is not good after all. But however that peoples that do dream must  wake up in the Morning or even at Night aswell. My nightmare is always about when so- 

meone is holding me while steping on a footpedal when I was little with. Well I had better close now. Sincerley Your. Russell

January 24, 2006, 6:01 pm CST

if my loved one had night terrors

Quote From: sjb1961

I had night terrors off and on for 20 years, seeing terrible things, screaming at the top of my lungs, pulling furniture out from the walls, ripping the sheets off the bed, sleepwalking.  Nothing worked, until I prayed a simple prayer, EVERY single night before bed.   I am a Christian, so this was easy for me, and you have to believe that God does love you and wants to protect you.  I would simply ask God to cover me with the blood of Jesus; surround me with a hedge of angels; and then I would demand any darkness to be gone, in the name of Jesus.  They stopped that very night,  and didn't come back until 15 years later, when I stayed for three months in a very oppressive home.  They left again, when I left that home.   

Many of you will scoff at this, and I don't mean to be preaching, but these dreams, these terrors are very dark in nature, and seem evil, reallly.  They are NOT from a good source....trust me.  Pray a prayer of protection every night, and believe that it will be answered.  God bless. 

One other brief thing - I have a friend whose husband choked her in his sleep for over 10 years.  He finally used a drug called clonazepam - a benzodiazepene so can be difficult to get.  He sleeps deeply and has never disurbed her since. 

if my loved one had noght terrors  and were possibly going to hurt me or our kids, i might tie their feet to the bed so they couldn't get to far!!! that way they could't just jump out of bed.  

yours truley gizzmoe 

January 24, 2006, 6:08 pm CST

Dreams

I dont usually have nightmares mostly i just dream. I dream everynight or everytime i sleep. But most nights i dream all night and i wake up feeling like i didnt sleep at all. Im always tired and cranky from lack of sleep. I usually remember my dreams or something during the day triggers it and i remember. Sometimes i have to think if it was something that i dreamed or if it was real. It really  bugs me and my doctor just shrugs it off. Does anyone know why this could be happening or have any suggestions.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last