Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 1000
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:07:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 01/25/06) Have you ever found yourself in a bizarre situation? Do you think the people around you are acting unusual, and you want to know why? Dr. Phil helps his guests distinguish what's normal and what's not. First up, Lynette doesn't think it's normal for her 78-year-old father, Forrest, to want to be a country music star. Forrest feels like his daughter is discriminating against him because he's old. Then, Suzie says her husband, Steve, won't get rid of the family dog -- even though it recently bit their baby girl in the face, and she had to be rushed to the hospital! Steve wants to know if he's crazy for wanting the dog back in the house. Plus, a guest says she's able to see into the future and wants to know if she should alert her friends to the visions she has about them. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 4, 2006, 10:29 pm CDT

the gal who's afraid of everything is not the only one with the problem...

...dr. phil focused on this girl (stephanie?).  he really dropped the ball when he failed to ask kyle what "pay-off" (to use dr. phil's term) he's getting out of putting up with this.   

let's see...his masculinity is being impugned (he said flat out that he's made to think he can't take care of his live-in girlfriend).  even more:  what's going on within him that makes him believe this is something to be desired in a  woman he supposedly wants to marry?  the "hero" syndrome?  thinking finding someone this sick and controlling makes him look healthy?  (and yes:  her behavior is controlling...and he rolls right over for it.) 

IMO, he needs to move out and back off, and see what sort of changes she makes in her behavior over a set period of time.   

of course, that's assuming he wants a healthy relationship with a woman rather than a sick relationship with a needy, controlling little girl... 

April 4, 2006, 10:33 pm CDT

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: purplepain

Your priorities are very very out of whack and I hope that you never have children, and if you do have children I feel sorry for them.
this lady posted a thoughtful message, taking everything into account.  you have no idea how she's raising her children or what her priorities are.  check your premises.

April 5, 2006, 5:56 pm CDT

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: jmtern

this lady posted a thoughtful message, taking everything into account.  you have no idea how she's raising her children or what her priorities are.  check your premises.
Reread what this person wrote....then get back to me.

April 6, 2006, 7:14 am CDT

dca statement on deafness- dog bite story

The Dalmation Club of America has a very detailed clear statement on deaf dalmations. I think, for anybody who is interested in this topic, that they should go to the web site and read it. The web address is  

www.thedca.org/redbook.html#Deafness 

I hope the link works. Forgive me if it doesn't but I am a novice with computers. Search on "Dalmation Club" if the link doesn't work and read the statement anyway. 

Also, as a new owner of a five-month old mini dachshund, I truely appreciate everyone's comments on this issue. The new puppy is exhausting and , sometimes, I just don't want to take him on a socialization trip or to his puppy kindergarten class. But the stories on this board from people who have been bitten have been terrifying and heart-rending.  I would feel so ashamed and guilty if my dog ever hurt anyone.  So I know I've got to persevere and take my puppy everywhere and to every class and I've got to train him everyday and do my best to make him a good citizen of my community. So thanks everyone and best wishes to all, especially to the little girl who was bitten. 

April 6, 2006, 9:10 pm CDT

Learn to live in this day and age

Quote From: elffie

She's 22 for crying out loud.  She's an adult.  Most girls that live with their boyfriends do share a bed.  I wouldn't consider it trashy, she wasn't in bed with 3 guys!  Also, it was her boyfriend, not some guy off the street.  Maybe they don't want to get married, many people don't and who are you to judge.  If it makes them happy then let them be.
First of all they were engaged. Second of all, it it perfectly common for people to live with their significant others before marriage these days. Personally, I think it is better to live with someone for a while before marriage so you know what they are like to live with. You are going to be with this person for the rest of your life, so you better know them really well before you are bonded together in holy matrimony.

April 7, 2006, 8:55 pm CDT

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: barbaraa

Is it normal for a 22 year old to be shown in bed with her live in boyfriend?  She looked and acted like a kid!   It wasn't too long ago that this would have been thought of as trashy!    They have money to take a cruise.........guess they don't have $25.00 for a marriage license.   
Yeah, your right, it wasn't too long ago that this was considered trashy...it wasn't long ago enough.

Why is it your business? Who are they hurting? Don't be such a prude.

It reminds me of when I worked in the lingerie department of a higher end store and we would have prudish grandma's come in a few times a month looking for a "bed shall"....I was BAFFLED at first at what this item was...

Then one of these little old ladies explained it to me...here is what she said, paraphrased:

"Young brides often don't want to show too much skin on thier wedding nights, they don't want to walk around like prostitutes in front of thier husbands."

I just smiled at her and told her we sold no such item....LOL

April 10, 2006, 10:07 pm CDT

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: drendo1

If you have heard of the monkey thing, then so has she. Maybe you all just want to believe you  have supernatural powers.  You can only predict from reasoning and past experience, and no human being can actually see into the future.  Show me a person who can see into the future and I'll show you a quack.    
Not all people know the spiritual side of life and not all people know the difference between demonic and heavenly spirits. Maybe people do have visions of the future. It is known to happen. Not all people who believe different are "quacks", they just have different beliefs. Perhaps you should be more open minded

April 21, 2006, 8:15 am CDT

Normal

Could someone tell me if this is normal or not. I am deeply afraid of any and all sarp objects. If i see a pair of scisors laying out I have to hide it at the bottom of a dror covered with other things and I cannot stand any thing around my neck that even has a point I even see the end of a pencil and think of the different ways that I could be hurt by it. You will be a very lucky person if you see me with chopsticks in my hair because I barely ever wear any. I just wanted to know if this fear is normal to have at a young age(16and under) thank you.

May 8, 2006, 7:32 am CDT

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: sherwood26

I don't know why I'm bothering to explain myself because it's like banging my head against a wall with the two of you and I know it just feeds into the obvious need you have to argue about something. 

Yes, you have struck a nerve because I feel your comments are so insulting to people that you know nothing about, and you don't know a darn thing about how they run their households, yet you feel the need to nit pick and question every decision they make simply by the few details they tell you when they share their story.  As I said, you should definitely share your viewpoints, but it's a different story to question and insult people's priorities repeatedly. 

When I said that the mother came off nutty to me, it had nothing to do with her being concerned about her child, she has every right to be.  I thought it was a little much that she was SO freaked out about having the child even visit the grandmother's house even if the dogs were locked behind a fence, which is a comment the father made.  If people are worried that the child might somehow get out of the house to see the dogs, my response is, who the heck is watching the child?  It was made clear that the mother will not allow the dog back into the house, so I don't know why JoeyJohn keeps going on about how the gates and things would work. I think people were making general comments about how you COULD keep a dog and child separate if need be and telling their stories about what worked for THEM. I would imagine that people aren't answering you because your questions are pointless asking about things that obviously worked already for them, why should they have to justify it to you after the fact! 

So to sum up, because this is the last I'm writing on this: 

yes, perhaps I should not have used the word "nuts" in regard to the mother and perhaps I also used the wrong word in my one post when I said the "only " reason I disagreed with the person was that the dog was sleeping.   I still don't believe that you allow a toddler to crawl over to a dog, sleeping or otherwise,  and you would especially have to use extra precaution around a special needs dog. It was a horrible accident, but I still do not believe the dog is a vicious dog. It did not run up to the child and attack it, the child approached the dog. I still believe that if Steve wants his mother to take care of the dogs and she's willing, why not let her so he can still have them in his life?  If they have that option, then why does the dog have to die? It makes no sense to me. Steve said on the show, all he wanted from his wife was a compromise so that he could still have the dogs somehow in his life. I still agree with Dr. Phil's advice, provided the dogs are not  put outside full time. And as strongly as you feel about standing up for children, I feel just as strongly for standing up for dogs, because they surely can't speak for themselves and do not deserve to pay the price for what ignorant people to do to them in the forms of abuse and neglect. I will not ever apologize for that. 

I agree with the first part of your posting. The two posters you mention just want somethign to argue about. I imagine they don't have anything else to do with their time, sadly. No matter what you say, they will twist it unintelligently. I have to admit, I have found it hilarious that both posters (if they are in fact 2 seperate people) only see the issue through a narrow tube, so when they attempt to respond to other postings, they don't even make sense because they often miss what was being said! Additionally, they just spend the majority of their postings making irrelevant insults. Just ignore them, I guess.

Take care!

November 30, 2007, 5:46 pm CST

03/30 Is This Normal?

Quote From: jmtern

...dr. phil focused on this girl (stephanie?).  he really dropped the ball when he failed to ask kyle what "pay-off" (to use dr. phil's term) he's getting out of putting up with this.   

let's see...his masculinity is being impugned (he said flat out that he's made to think he can't take care of his live-in girlfriend).  even more:  what's going on within him that makes him believe this is something to be desired in a  woman he supposedly wants to marry?  the "hero" syndrome?  thinking finding someone this sick and controlling makes him look healthy?  (and yes:  her behavior is controlling...and he rolls right over for it.) 

IMO, he needs to move out and back off, and see what sort of changes she makes in her behavior over a set period of time.   

of course, that's assuming he wants a healthy relationship with a woman rather than a sick relationship with a needy, controlling little girl... 

I know that you wrote this reply over a year ago, but I just thought that you might want MY opinion, since  I am the girl who was on the show.   

I realize that  my being afraid was not something  that is a desired trait, but why is it sick ? There are people who are afraid of all different types of things, why was my fear so sick and twisted?  I was honest, and I was honestly afraid. Dr. Phil even realized that there were very rational things about my fears, that some of them had just gotten a little out of control.

And what about our relationship was unhealthy?  You do not know the first thing about our relationship. We took several steps into having a healthy relationship, and were together for 5 years before getting married, and now we have been married for 1 year, and have a healthy marriage!   I worked on my fears, and now do not have near the fears I used to have, thanks to my husband not backing down and letting me work on things on my own.

I think your opinion of me as a "controlling little girl" were very wrong, and very rude!

First | Prev | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | Next Page | Last Page