Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 1000
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:07:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 01/25/06) Have you ever found yourself in a bizarre situation? Do you think the people around you are acting unusual, and you want to know why? Dr. Phil helps his guests distinguish what's normal and what's not. First up, Lynette doesn't think it's normal for her 78-year-old father, Forrest, to want to be a country music star. Forrest feels like his daughter is discriminating against him because he's old. Then, Suzie says her husband, Steve, won't get rid of the family dog -- even though it recently bit their baby girl in the face, and she had to be rushed to the hospital! Steve wants to know if he's crazy for wanting the dog back in the house. Plus, a guest says she's able to see into the future and wants to know if she should alert her friends to the visions she has about them. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 22, 2006, 2:53 pm CST

Irresponsible pet owners should be no surprise are irresponsible parents.

We had a family friend with a dog that did the same sort of injury on their two year old( It is more common then you think) It took them 6 months and lots of pressure from family and friends to re-home that dog to a childless couple.  During that time both the child and dog suffered.  The dog confined to the side yard of the house with little or no attention or exercise (not too much of a change from his life previous).  The child living in extreme fear of the creature that resided there. 

The dog became a problem when the husband spend less and less time exercising him and training him.  Dogs that don't get daily walks and don't have regular interaction with people are never safe around kids.  Any kind of dog.  It is the father's fault that the dog attacked the child and the father does not deserve to own a dog or to be a father.  He clearly has no understanding of the responsibilities of either.

To have a dog around kids it needs to be well cared for both physically and emotional.  Dogs have needs far beyond food, water and shelter.  They take an hour at least a day to socialize and exercise.  If you don't meet the needs to the family dog then you should not have one, especially around small children.  For everyone’s sake have them spayed or neutered so they are calmer and more predictable around people.

January 23, 2006, 12:34 pm CST

stupid people should not own dogs

IF YOU CARE ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S SAFTEY U WOULD NOT KEEP THAT DOG!!!!!! MY SON WAS ATTACKED BY A DOG HIS HEAD WAS RIPED OPEN  SO BAD U COULD SEE HIS SKULL. THSES PEOPLE WERE  " JUST LIKE GRANDPARRENTS"  GREAT PEOPLE KEPT THE STUPID DOG  HAS KIDS OF HER OWN  AND HER NIGHBORHOOD IS FULL OF CHILDREN   IF U LOVE A CHILD HOW CAN U KEEP SOMTHING THAT HURT THAT BABY  DOGS WHO BIT KIDS SHOULD BE SENT SOMWHERE OR KILLED!    I USED TO LOVE DOGS AND MY SON STILL DOES NOW I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!                   STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD NOT OWN DOGS 

January 23, 2006, 1:24 pm CST

Is he crazy?

I had a dog rip my face apart when I was five, the same kind of dog, a dalmation! To keep a dog that hurts your child is nuts. Your child will face the world with scars all over her face. Let me tell you how much fun that is! I am now fifty and still have people ask what the scars are from. How dare you choose an animal over your own child. You need to grow up. A dog is a dog, not your child! I have had dogs all my life, never a dalmation though, and if any of them had ever threatened a person. let alone my child, it would have been gone. Don't say I don't love my pets, I do, but I put my kids first! For me it would be either the dog goes, or take the dog with you on your way out the door! lucygirl

January 23, 2006, 1:49 pm CST

The dog has to go!

As much as I love dogs, and my three are my babies, that child is in danger.  The dog has to go.  I rescue abused and abandoned dogs, and have a passion for them.  I have all of my life.  However, one of my steadfast rules has always been..............I WILL NOT have a dog in my home that will snap or bite at anyone!!  Maybe the dog doesn't need to be put down, but it definitely needs to go to a new home without young children.

January 23, 2006, 8:49 pm CST

the dog should go...

well in my house I have 2 Rottweilers and a Cockerspaniel. They are great dogs and good around kids., but my mom has always said that if a dog ever bit someone especially a child then the dog would have to be put down. Maybe the couple shouldn't put the dog down, but at least give it to someone that dont have kids or to a SPCA. Don't keep the dog!!!!! It bit once it will again.

January 23, 2006, 9:35 pm CST

Protection

Let's see..... dog bites your baby in the face and goes to the hospital, gee, I wonder why your wife doesn't want to keep the dog.  I know animals are great pets for people and even for some children, but if a dog does something like this, it has to go for the safety of the child.  When my son was only one month old our Siberian Husky decided to mark his territory, right on my son!  After that we took him to get fixed.  If he would've bit him, then he definitly would be gone.  Babies can't speak for themselves that's why we as parents need to protect them.  So start protecting.

January 24, 2006, 12:43 am CST

Steve ; Get rid of the Dog.

What will it take, For your Daughter to come up, Dead.?? 

I bet she is having Nightmares at night,  

and will not be the same for a while. 

Keep a dog away from you daughter for at least 5 yrs. 

It also saying to me, that you care more for the dog, than her.  

Give to a family, or farm, that you can go visit with the dog. 

Similar Situation Happened to a distant Relative..  The owners of the dogs,Lived on a farm.  They let them Go out and hunt, did not feed them Very Well. 

She got about 40 stitches on her face.  Very traumatic.  

TC  John 

January 24, 2006, 1:07 am CST

SUPORT SUZIE AND JENNA!!

Suzie, I am so sorry about this horrble accident!!! Steve should be ahsamed of himself!!!! I am just angry watching the clip, Wed, will be even worse when the whole show is on. Just so everyone knows, Suzie has a huge group of suporters, from our Baby brith club. All our babys were born in May/June 2004 and we all are here to suport her, and we just love baby Jenna soo much.. We are moms from all over the states and we want you all to give suzie your support as well!

January 24, 2006, 9:38 am CST

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

Quote From: lucygirl

I had a dog rip my face apart when I was five, the same kind of dog, a dalmation! To keep a dog that hurts your child is nuts. Your child will face the world with scars all over her face. Let me tell you how much fun that is! I am now fifty and still have people ask what the scars are from. How dare you choose an animal over your own child. You need to grow up. A dog is a dog, not your child! I have had dogs all my life, never a dalmation though, and if any of them had ever threatened a person. let alone my child, it would have been gone. Don't say I don't love my pets, I do, but I put my kids first! For me it would be either the dog goes, or take the dog with you on your way out the door! lucygirl
MY SON GOT HIS HEAD RIPED OPEN  BY A DOG I JUST HATE POEOPLE WHO SAY THE DOG DIDIT MEAN IT THE CHILD WAS PICKIN ON THE DOG IF U KNOW UR DOG HAS A TEMPER DONT HAVE IT  BY LAW ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 5 I BELIVE CAN NOT PROVOKE A DOG

January 24, 2006, 3:22 pm CST

Dog Bites

I had a simular thing happen to my son.   My son was 2 years old and his grandmother was babysitting him when I got a call at work that my son was at the hospital bit by their dog.   He bitten, knocked down and had to have 19 stitches in his head. My poor little son looked so bad... bruised and it was horrible.   The dog wasn't even a family pet that they had for years and years they had just moved into a house and the dog "came with the house" (if you can believe such a thing)  Well I was so so SOO mad they wouldn't do anything about the dog.  My sons dad and I argued with the grandparents to please get rid of the dog.  Well after me and my son's father split up my son came home once bruised and scratched and his father said the dog knocked him down.   I went right down to social services (DYFS) and made a complaint and the dog was never allowed near my son again.  I can't believe people would put little children at harms way because of a dog that wasn't even a family pet.   GRRRRRRRR

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last