Message Boards

Topic : 01/26 Shopping Intervention: The Aftermath

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:12:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

You've heard the saying "When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping." But what happens when you're $80,000 in debt and still spending $7,000 a week? When Michael and Bridgette were last on the show, her shopping was an addiction that was destroying their family. Dr. Phil discovered that her excessive spending was just a symptom of a serious problem. Bridgette confessed that she was in a loveless, sexless marriage with a rage-a-holic whose anger affected the entire family. Can Michael get his rage under control and stop passing his anger onto their three children? And can this family in crisis be saved? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2006, 2:43 pm CST

01/26 Shopping Intervention: The Aftermath

January 26, 2006, 2:49 pm CST

Like Dr. Phil said b-4, someone has to be a hero.

Or Maybe both be Heroes.  Change there behavior. 

Mike is under a lot of stress, Plus working OT.  I am not condoning, his behavior... 

He is right,  All four of them get a job and help out.???? 

TC  John 

January 26, 2006, 2:52 pm CST

Today's Show

I'm sorry, but if Bridget & her children would stop spending his money & living off of him, he might be able to meet them half way. How would they like to go to work for many hours? Michael has to be nice because he can't vent at work the way he does at home. His work is what is probably affecting ALL of them! He's STRESSED out at work & overtired! He comes home to find that they're  spending his money & yet they're complaining? He gets it both from the wife & children. They are very selfish! The children dropping out of school? THEY need to do the changing! The children don't like it? Get a job & move out! Bet they will find they're happier at home than living from pay to pay! This goes the same for Bridget. If both Bridget & the children were to work, they'd understand the STRESS associated with it & find that they'll come home with alot of unhappiness as well!

January 26, 2006, 2:57 pm CST

Misogenistic Stereotyping of women

Quote From: rick7348

Mike's wife has been using him, spending all of his money and putting the family in debt.  Of course he's going to yell and of course he's going to be angry.  I understand the concept of spending another man's money means nothing to women and I understand you don't understand how that can bother men.  But when you work your butt off only to have a woman spend it all and put you in debt, that tends to get under some husband's skin.  He should've divorced this woman a long time ago.

>I understand the concept of spending another man's money means nothing to women... 

Your stereotyping of all women as being fiscally irresponsible speaks for itself.  

As for Mike, he is justifiably angry but there is NO EXCUSE for the verbally abusive behavior of yelling at another person.     

January 26, 2006, 3:01 pm CST

people who have to much, and unhappy

I do think this family can get the help that is needed. And the son, should go on with his life and become the man he really is, not a angry inner self as his father has shown him, as with the 2 girls. There is more to life than living off your family, we all are taught to be our own person,  

it takes some longer to see that, but if the kids went out into the real working world and got what they want, with money they themselves have earned, then they will see the true meaning of life as others of us has.  I lived in a 29 yr marriage of unhappness, but I took the step and became my own woman, I found that I could make it with a young child at the time, and I am still my own person.  If she is so unhappy, she should remember there is life out there, as Reba sings, no one need to be with a angry person.  The father maybe as unhappy as she, and maybe out there will be his happiness.  When you come home from a long day of work, tired, to what he has done so, you get to where you don't want to be there and you use it to strike out at what makes you feel this way, as he does. and it is wrong, hopefully he will get the help and happiness he wants. 

January 26, 2006, 3:01 pm CST

Mom has responsibility here, too

Oh PLEASE!  I'm so frustrated about this show and Dr Phil's (and many on this board) reaction to the problem. Certainly Bridgette and these kids have taken much verbal abuse from this man, but Bridgette isn't stupid.  She chose a long time ago that it was easier to sit back and play victim (just as she has been doing with Dr. Phil), rather than to PROTECT those kids and get them out of there.  It was just easier to go shopping, I suppose. 

I've worked with abused women and children for 7 years and this isn't the Dark Ages, guys -- women in this country, from every social strata, know the laws and their rights. Shame on her. Judging by the way those kids talked and the decisions they've made, she didn't even bother parenting those kids.  I feel sorry for the children - not for her or that wacked out husband.

January 26, 2006, 3:14 pm CST

What a shame

Has Michael heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? If he continues to make the choice of feeding his anger at his family's expense, they'll continue to disappoint him.  If he continues to berate his children, they'll eventually believe what he's accusing them of.  There appears to be no way to please him, so why try?  Perhaps Michael should try what I always told my students to do, think of 5 happy things every time he gets upset.  He'll learn how to look at his cup half full rather than empty.  Obviously Michael learned this behavior from someone.  It's time to break the chain.

January 26, 2006, 3:19 pm CST

01/26 Shopping Intervention: The Aftermath

I really enjoyed this show, and my favorite part was when Dr.Phil tells Bridgett, that she can't con him! I loved that. I think that he has given both Michael, and Bridgett great advice, and I hope that they take it!

January 26, 2006, 3:21 pm CST

Break through the shame

Please Dr. Phil address this man's lack of self. Is he really in his life? What shame does he carry from his childhood ? He is killing his kids psychologically. 

Please what are the steps to undo and dissolve the shame in childhood and create self? 

January 26, 2006, 3:26 pm CST

get a job woman

I THINK,SHE NEEDS A JOB.OR BETTER YET PUT ON A BUDGET.AS FOR THE KIDS.THEY NEED TO HAVE A LIFE.JUST DONT CHOOSE, THE WAY  OF LIFE THAT THERE MOTHER HAS.THINKS EVERY THING IS OK TO SPEND SPEND SPEND.EVER HEAR OF THE PHRASE SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY.BETTER YET HAVE HER GO TO WORK WHERE HER HUSBAND WORKS TO SEE HOW HARD SOMETIMES IT CAN BE. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last