Message Boards

Topic : 01/27 Money Disasters

Number of Replies: 281
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:14:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests are drowning in debt. It's tearing one marriage apart and causing a single mom to think about filing for bankruptcy. First, Deborah says she was raised with wealth and privilege, and she didn't expect to be flat broke and living in a trailer when she married Chris. Chris works 12 hours a day, but they can't even pay their monthly bills. Is Chris not demanding enough from himself, or is Deborah too demanding? Also, find out the secret Deborah's been keeping from her family back in England. Then, Kristine is a school teacher and single mom who  treats her friends to dinner and goes on expensive vacations even though she is over her head in debt -- to the tune of $137,000! Her sister, Stefanie, says she's tired of bailing Kristine out when she can't pay the bills, and thinks it's time for  an intervention. Plus, a financial expert shares her advice for avoiding bankruptcy. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2006, 8:03 am CST

Free just pay shipping

Quote From: nickmiller

What an interesting and informative show! I see myself in your guest...how scairy! I am trying to get the free budget/ finances cd, but cannot get the link to open. Is there another way to register for it? 

I need to get the "kit " too. What is the deal? Can his staff respond???

January 27, 2006, 8:19 am CST

free cd

I too tried to find link to free  budget cd mentioned on show today---could not find one anywhere---where was it??               grannyjan4

January 27, 2006, 8:20 am CST

Getting out of debt

I would love to get a copy of the program talked about on the show today.  I am a stay at home mom with 2 children under 5 and our family is trying to manage the money my husband brings home in a way that will keep us from credit card debt to the extent discussed on the show.  I see that several of you have applied or found a link to get you to the program, could someone please tell me where?  I can't find anything.  Thank you.

January 27, 2006, 8:21 am CST

learning about money

Please know that this e-mail is not directed to anyone who had a life event (illness, laid off etc.)

I think that part of the problem with people spending money without regard for how much they have, is that they didn't learn to manage it when they were younger.  I know that was my problem.  When I was growing up we had very little money.  I never got allowance and therefore never learned how to manage money that I got.

When I started to work, I did not have the discipline to save money.  I spent it as soon as I got it.  Mostly on entertainment.  Hey, I was 16.  But I should have learned when I could.

It took many arguments with my husband about money.  I would do the books and tell him that we had more than we had.  I gave the books over to him and not only did we get out of debt, but we actually started saving money.  He taught me how to work it.  Now we work out the money together.  I still feel nauseous sometimes when we sit down and look and the finances.  Even though I have done nothing wrong.

Anyway, I am just saying that if we could all understand the importance of living within our means and of saving money, when we are children it would help us manage our money better as adults. 

January 27, 2006, 8:23 am CST

WANT THE FREE BUDGET CD TOO

What an interesting and informative show! I see myself in your guest...how scairy! I am trying to get the free budget/ finances cd, but cannot get the link to open. Is there another way to register for it? 

WHERE DO YOU GET IT? I'VE BEEN LOOKING AND I'M NEW TO THE SITE

January 27, 2006, 8:24 am CST

WANT THE FREE BUDGET CD TOO

WHERE DO YOU GET IT? I'VE BEEN LOOKING AND I'M NEW TO THE SITE

January 27, 2006, 8:24 am CST

free product

Usually, I get an error message when there are more persons online than the site is able to handle. If I wait a few minutes, I can usually get thru. 

Betty 

January 27, 2006, 8:36 am CST

Budget CD

The page does take a while to load.  The problem has been reported.     

Thank you 

January 27, 2006, 8:37 am CST

Money Disaster

My husband and I had to file for bankruptcy because we couldn't get ahead of our debt.  That unfortunately was the best thing that we could do.  We had been under a lot of stress, and it had hurt our marriage until we filed.  We tried the credit counselors, but we couldn't make the payments. 
Now we are moving forward, and life is looking a lot better.

January 27, 2006, 8:50 am CST

Money Problems

I too am drowning financially or better yet have drowned! When I married my husband 3 years ago I made the mistake of letting him totally control the finances. Well he brought stuff he wanted, spent money, and I did not even have access to the checking account. In the mist of all of this he kept secrets and lied to me about the financial things. Now I have found out and my credit is destroyed. I went from a independent woman to struggling financially and living from day to day. I should have seen the light when I filed my first income tax as his wife and it was taken for his back child support, and I received a $1200 Christmas bonus from work which was automatically deposited and he spent it, I would never have know it was there except I found the bank statement. He doesn't discuss financial matters with me or any concerns that involve both of us. I resent the situation he has put me in and I want to leave but because of my credit I can't even rent anywhere.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last