Message Boards

Topic : 06/14 Competition Freaks

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 27, 2006, 02:42:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 02/03/06) We've all heard the old saying, "Winning isn't everything," but for some people, it's the only thing! Dr. Phil's guests are competition freaks who must be first, be the best and win at everything. Jennifer and Judy are twins who have been competing with each other since they were born. As they battle to be the prettiest, the thinnest and the best looking, they constantly sabotage each other. After 46 years, can they learn to end this vicious cycle of one-upmanship? Then, 18-year-old Alice says her mother, Alicia, hates to lose, and turns everything into a competition -- from playing board games to dating!  The competitiveness has gotten so bad that it's put a strain on their relationship. Will Alicia learn that she can enjoy life without always competing? Plus, meet a father who is teaching his kids that there is "no place but first place," and his wife who fears their kids are learning to be sore losers. If you have family members or friends who are obsessed with competition, you won't want to miss this show. Is someone you know obsessed with winning?

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2006, 2:38 pm CST

twins

Quote From: twinfreak

Donna, You are right. God sees my heart. After the show my heart ached. I told the producers the truth hurts, I've been hurting my twin for 46 years.  I thought our segment was going to be light and fun. I never thought our competing was a big issueI haven't seen the show either but keep in mind it's Hollywood the ENTERTAINMENT capitol of the world.

So are we to assume that your suggestion this is all Hollywood, that you were lying about your competition with each other? That is what this quote sounds like. It sounds like to me that you are implying this issue is made up and it is not all that serious. So why then did you even call the show if you did not think it was a problem?? Have you even watched the Dr. Phil show? It's about helping people who really need the help, so why then would you waste a segment that could have truly helped someone, if you did not feel or think your competition was an issue? 

From this quote I cannot take you seriously and even Dr. Phil seemed at one point to not take you very seriously. If I were you I would be very embarassed at this point. 

As for how I felt about your issue. Get over yourselves and grow up. I could not believe I was watching women over 40 acting like children. It was not funny at all, it was rather annoying. Light ??? What is so light about tearing each other apart year after year. Oh, haha.. 

SAD really. 

I hope you two can stop all that nonsense if indeed it is an issue, if its not, then have on. 

Respectfully 

Canada 

February 3, 2006, 2:50 pm CST

Twins

These women don't have more important factors in their lives than to be this petty and vain?

February 3, 2006, 3:15 pm CST

Twins - That's So Sad!

I'm a female identical twin.  In high school & middle school, we were kind of competitive.  In our early 20's, we reached a point where we loved each other so much, we wanted other people to consider each other as 'the prettier" or "the better" (etc.) twin.  I want her to be happy and successful in life, and can only hope she does it better than I do.  I know she feels the same way about me.  Seeing these twin women on your show is so sad.  I feel, well, I guess it's pity, for them. They'll never have the same joy of HELPING their twin sister BE the 'better' twin.  That's where happiness and love may really be experienced.   

February 3, 2006, 3:33 pm CST

Identical Twin competition

These twins are so sad.  They've missed out on 40-some-odd years of true love and friendship.  My twin and I (females, 35 years old) were a little competitive in our early years, but by our 20's, we have both striven for the success of the other. We both want 'the other twin' to be considered the happier, the healthier, the more successfull, etc., twin.  We enjoy each other's company and revel in the accomplishments of the other...feeling proud for each other and doing whatever is necessary to lend to the happiness of the other.  That's family. That's love.

February 3, 2006, 4:15 pm CST

Twin Reality Show

Those twins need their own show. Seriously, I was listening to the show and I hardly heard Dr. Phil get a word in edge wise. All I heard was a ton of clucking and more clucking. They should watch this tape so they can see how silly they were being.

February 3, 2006, 4:40 pm CST

Where does Dr. Phil find these people?

My twin sister and I are best friends!  We share everything and there is no way I would ever hurt her !  Dr. Phil was dead on when he told the twin guests on the show that they were missing their lives.  I sure hope they follow his advice!  Getting older with a twin's love and support makes life rich and worthwhile. 

February 3, 2006, 4:56 pm CST

Competitive Mother:

I think she must have had older siblings or somebody in her past who sort of held her down, cause I really related to her and that's exactly what happened to me, I had 2 older brothers, so I was always last!

February 3, 2006, 5:01 pm CST

Sad isn't the word for it!

Quote From: csangel

I'm a female identical twin.  In high school & middle school, we were kind of competitive.  In our early 20's, we reached a point where we loved each other so much, we wanted other people to consider each other as 'the prettier" or "the better" (etc.) twin.  I want her to be happy and successful in life, and can only hope she does it better than I do.  I know she feels the same way about me.  Seeing these twin women on your show is so sad.  I feel, well, I guess it's pity, for them. They'll never have the same joy of HELPING their twin sister BE the 'better' twin.  That's where happiness and love may really be experienced.   

My twin and I are 10 years older and have very different lives. I do not have kids but not for your reasons, but that I couldn't. My twin always shared her kids with me. Her daughter could not say Bonnie so for a time we had names that sounded alike, Mommy and Monnie. Now her grandson calls me Grandma Bonnie. We have different talents but we don't have to compete because we are both good at what we do. As you get older you will hopefully understand that life is not a guarantee. Without a doubt, one of us will probably outlive the other. Neither of us wants to have to go through it. Stop your petty ways. Bonnie

February 3, 2006, 5:24 pm CST

Lucky to still have each other

I can't even comprehend those twin sisters!  I'm a 46 yr. old identical twin too, only I lost my dear sister before we were 20.  We never competed like that, we did everything together as teenagers.  When in college, we ended up getting seperate places, and had different types of boyfriends,  different majors, seperate lives, but still hung out when ever we could.  She married a guy in the Air Force, he was sent to Korea 3 days after their wedding, leaving her behind in Yosemite where our parents lived.  5 weeks later, she was killed in a solo auto accident, ending up in the river we drove by evey day.  Those competitive twins are unreal.  They should appreciate and love each other.  I would trade ya...wish I could hug my twin sister and tell her how much I miss her, and how much I love her. 

Maureen 

February 3, 2006, 5:38 pm CST

Taken for Granted!

This two sisters make me absolutely sick. I am a twinless twin. My sister died of brain complications when we were only 3 months old. I learned about my sister when I was four years old. My mom told me I had a guardian angel who looks over me night and day. While I feel that is special everyday I wonder about her. EVERYDAY I wonder how life would have been with her. I often feel like I'm living my life for two people instead of just one. I live for her and for myself. I can't help but envy twins because I wonder how great it must be to share your life with your twin. That is a feeling I was deprived of and I just can't believe how this two sisters take that gift for granted. They are so fortanate to have each other and they don't see it at all. One day I hope they both wake up and see all that they've been missing. I see what I've been missing everyday. And every birthday when I visit my sister's grave and put flowers on it I am reminded of another year gone by without her. I know she is with me in spirit ALWAYS, but it's not the same.  I really hope these women get a reality check and they finally see how lucky they are to have a sister to share life with.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last