Message Boards

Topic : 06/14 Competition Freaks

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 27, 2006, 02:42:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 02/03/06) We've all heard the old saying, "Winning isn't everything," but for some people, it's the only thing! Dr. Phil's guests are competition freaks who must be first, be the best and win at everything. Jennifer and Judy are twins who have been competing with each other since they were born. As they battle to be the prettiest, the thinnest and the best looking, they constantly sabotage each other. After 46 years, can they learn to end this vicious cycle of one-upmanship? Then, 18-year-old Alice says her mother, Alicia, hates to lose, and turns everything into a competition -- from playing board games to dating!  The competitiveness has gotten so bad that it's put a strain on their relationship. Will Alicia learn that she can enjoy life without always competing? Plus, meet a father who is teaching his kids that there is "no place but first place," and his wife who fears their kids are learning to be sore losers. If you have family members or friends who are obsessed with competition, you won't want to miss this show. Is someone you know obsessed with winning?

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2006, 6:18 pm CST

"teenage" twins

I have never seen such immature, absurd women in my entire life. Throughout the duration of the show they only promoted their silliness and didn't appear interested in finding help, but as you said, simply defended a position of superiority. Perhaps they have not heard that it is foolish to compare one with another. Everyone feels some degree of inferiority to someone else, or feels superior to someone else because that is human nature but to this level is something else entirely.

February 3, 2006, 6:28 pm CST

message to Tommy from your cousin, once removed

Hey, Tommy! It was great seeing you on Dr. Phil. Although I can't identify with the competitiveness, I certainly heard what you were saying. I found it amazing that your feeling about not having a college degree was so pervasive throughout our family. Although we don't know each other, we probably have more in common than we both realize. I heard the college degree thing most of my childhood. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I admire you for being on the show. The amount of love you have for your family spoke volumes. Despite all - and believe me I know a great deal of it - you are truely a very lucky man.

February 3, 2006, 7:36 pm CST

Twins Outragious Behavior

I am a 36 year old identical twin and am very shocked at Jennifer and Judy's behavior on the show today. It was strange to see them constantly touching each other and smiling but saying such horrible things (If the sound of my TV was off I would have thought they had a wonderful relationship). 

All identical twins are compared and their differences/likenesses are pointed out, this is because people are fascinated by twins. My sister and I laugh about it. There have been times in our lives when people have said hurtful things about us (you're the "fat twin" or "smart twin") but the pros of being a twin completely out way the cons. I cherish my sister, we were very close growing up and have pursued different things in our lives but have always supported one another. We are not only close sisters but best friends, so close we've built homes down the road from each other. My sister is the one person who will always be there for me no matter what and she keeps me grounded. She "knows" me like no other and it's a wonderful gift. 

Judy and Jennifer have wasted 46 years! They need to embrace both the likenesses and differences and enjoy each other. It doesn't matter who's "smarter", "prettier", "wealthier", what matters is "life" . The world is a bit crazy around us, they need to focus on each other's needs not on this toxic competitiveness... 

February 3, 2006, 7:44 pm CST

My Sister

Hi All- I'm new to the board, but I really wanted to share this little story. 

I have a sister who is three years younger than I am (not a twin, but regardless). I love her to death. She is living with me while she is going to college, and I feel like her mom sometimes. One night she didn't come home, and I was getting really scared (an abduction and murder had recently occured in our neighbourhood, and I couldn't help but think the worst).  

Anyway, I went searching in her room for her friend's phone numbers to try and track her down, and I came accross it in a book that she just writes little sayings in. I tracked her down in the end, and she came home safe, but as I was flipping through the pages I came accross something that she had written; "I am the roadkill version of my sister." It absolutely broke my heart. We share such an awesome relationship, and I never knew she thought that- and to know that I may have at least one time unknowingly made her feel like that really made me re-evaluate and be conscious of my behaviour.  

So, for two sisters to be acting like this towards each other is very confusing to me. 

February 3, 2006, 9:02 pm CST

AMEN!!!!!!

Quote From: btownind

Get over yourselves - send these babes out to Afganistan for a month and then have them on.  A dose of contribution and making someone else the center of the world would be so refreshing.  Do these two women know how unattractive they are with their obsessively egocentric behavior?  Go join the Peace corp or donate some organs or something - anything!  Except talking about yourselves.  It's tooooo boring - JR 
I couldn"t have said it better.  How shallow and superficial...couldn't even watch the whole show...stopped watching after 15 minutes.  Boooring!!

February 3, 2006, 9:04 pm CST

wow....

When the show started, I thought the twins were pretty.....but about 2 minutes in......they didn't seem so pretty anymore.  They were annoying to watch......so superficial......and they seemed so proud of that.  They seemed to be putting on a total show and didn't seem to have much of a desire to truly change.....just to be seen and laughed at.  I wasn't laughing.  I was fairly embarrassed for them. 

When they kept going back and forth about who initiates the competition and who fuels the competition.....and on and on......I just kept thinking that it takes two to tango.  They both must be very empty and needy.....otherwise one of them could simply say "ya know.....I'm just not going to play this game anymore".  I don't buy the victim thing.   

It's sad to know that two people have wasted so many years in such a pitiful battle.   

-Steph 

February 3, 2006, 9:05 pm CST

competition freaks

its not wheather you win or lose rather its how you play the game that counts.you simply cant win all the time.there has to be some losers and there has to be some winners.you cant have your cake and eat it too.if everyone won all the time and no one lost then it wouldnt be much of a challenge period.knowing that you did your best no matter  what is the most important thing of all.

February 3, 2006, 9:57 pm CST

AND THIS IS OK WITH THEM

There is nothing sadder then competiton to exclusion of every thing else.These to spoil person must have a low estem of themselves if they think this is ok. As every one has seen this is no long a compition but a selfish petty childish game it not only those it no promote well being but is prolongs an family tamptrum and for what purpose.I bet if you ask them why they can not give you a logical answer for there is none.Instead of promoting each one achievements they demish them selves and  no douth in my mind it leaves them wanting.it shows how childish these two are  for shame and what those it teach one of them who has children that this is how the wrold works.Now it is not only hurting themselves  but thier family.There is  a French saying that says "Qui est plus fou les deux chat  qui se bas ou seul lui  qui tein ler queue"loosly translated who if more foolish two cat fighting or the one how old them by the tails.And  the funny thing about this competition is that if one of them would leave the other would be so lonely no one to fight or compte with.Thnak  you<Gemrob1>

February 3, 2006, 10:12 pm CST

02/03 Competition Freaks

I think Dr. Phil was way too easy on the twins. He didn't get through to them at all, that is obvious. 

The twins' comments were not heartfelt--even insincere at times--and Dr. Phil let them get away with much of it. I could see right through their fake smiles. They tried to cover their true feelings by constantly smiling, and lying about everything. Behind those smiles are many, many tears. I wonder how long they can keep up the charade? 

If I saw either woman on the street, my initial reaction would be, "Wow, what a knockout!". After hearing them talk and watching them interact with each other, Dr. Phil, and the audience, my new reaction would be, "Pathetic." 

February 3, 2006, 11:39 pm CST

Say Hello To Judy...

Hi Jennifer! 

Could you please say hi to your sister Judy for me? We worked together in Germany... just imagine my surprise when I saw her on Dr. Phil. If she has time maybe she could drop me an email, so we can catch-up. 

Good luck  

Samantha   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last