Message Boards

Topic : 06/14 Competition Freaks

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 27, 2006, 02:42:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 02/03/06) We've all heard the old saying, "Winning isn't everything," but for some people, it's the only thing! Dr. Phil's guests are competition freaks who must be first, be the best and win at everything. Jennifer and Judy are twins who have been competing with each other since they were born. As they battle to be the prettiest, the thinnest and the best looking, they constantly sabotage each other. After 46 years, can they learn to end this vicious cycle of one-upmanship? Then, 18-year-old Alice says her mother, Alicia, hates to lose, and turns everything into a competition -- from playing board games to dating!  The competitiveness has gotten so bad that it's put a strain on their relationship. Will Alicia learn that she can enjoy life without always competing? Plus, meet a father who is teaching his kids that there is "no place but first place," and his wife who fears their kids are learning to be sore losers. If you have family members or friends who are obsessed with competition, you won't want to miss this show. Is someone you know obsessed with winning?

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2006, 4:49 am CST

Competitive Freaks

Just wanted to say to the twins.  I never had that competition with my older sister and I am glad. I am 49 years old.  She would have been 51 years old. She died when she was 36.  I would have a hard time living with myself if we treated each other the way you do.  But thank you for reminding me what a special relationship we did have.  Being sister does not have to be so hard.  Hope you figure it out. 

Tommy I just loved you. I think you got the message Dr. Phil was telling you.  Thanks again Dr. Phil 

February 4, 2006, 6:00 am CST

02/03 Competition Freaks

Quote From: animalgal

Quote From: twinfreak

Donna, You are right. God sees my heart. After the show my heart ached. I told the producers the truth hurts, I've been hurting my twin for 46 years.  I thought our segment was going to be light and fun. I never thought our competing was a big issueI haven't seen the show either but keep in mind it's Hollywood the ENTERTAINMENT capitol of the world.

So are we to assume that your suggestion this is all Hollywood, that you were lying about your competition with each other? That is what this quote sounds like. It sounds like to me that you are implying this issue is made up and it is not all that serious. So why then did you even call the show if you did not think it was a problem?? Have you even watched the Dr. Phil show? It's about helping people who really need the help, so why then would you waste a segment that could have truly helped someone, if you did not feel or think your competition was an issue? 

From this quote I cannot take you seriously and even Dr. Phil seemed at one point to not take you very seriously. If I were you I would be very embarassed at this point. 

As for how I felt about your issue. Get over yourselves and grow up. I could not believe I was watching women over 40 acting like children. It was not funny at all, it was rather annoying. Light ??? What is so light about tearing each other apart year after year. Oh, haha.. 

SAD really. 

I hope you two can stop all that nonsense if indeed it is an issue, if its not, then have on. 

Respectfully 

Canada 

Canada, Yes I watch Dr. Phil and I also read his books. In his book "Life Strategies" he says and I quote, "Don't feel as if you should minimize your problem, or apologize for them.  Our world has too long conditioned us not to make waves.  We don't want to make a scene or disrupt the flow of things.  As a result, we settle, quitely, much too often.  If a problem is important to you, then that's enough; that qualifys it as worthy.".  So I went to Hollywood to because no matter how small an issue it was worthy.  five minutes before we went on we were told we were the first to go on and to start competing right away, don't give Dr. Phil a chance to talk, say what you have said, but KICK it up a notch.  Nothing was made up, It was just edited and HYPED up. I love my twin with all my heart, and I said it countless times...she is the air I breathe and the heart I beat. Please do not judge something in 20 minutes. We have far more loving experience than the 20 minutes of being on the Dr. Phil show!

February 4, 2006, 6:30 am CST

Tommy

So you don't have a college degree - so what!!  Take all your energy and competitiveness and use it for a better future for you and your family.  I firmly believe you have what it takes, But with your idea that winning is the only thing that counts - how wrong you are. 

Remember Babe Ruth - home run King - Ruth led the league in strike outs also - he was willing to  

'fail' inorder to hit a ball.  If you don't fail, you can't be a success. 

February 4, 2006, 6:34 am CST

Tom "won" the competition show

Since all of the guests were "competition freaks", my vote goes to Tom as the real winner of this show.   He conducted himself as a mature man should.  He appeared to appreciate the kind things that his wife said about him.  He was humble enough to let Dr. Phil recite all of his positive traits and to listen to the fact that his overzealous competitive spirit was unnecessary to validate his worthiness.   

Now imagine how different Tom's segment would have been if he had acted the same way as the twins or Alicia.  ((((shudder))))   

It would be nice to say something positive, encouraging and empathetic about the twins and Alicia, but I just can't get past my disgust with their competitive motivations and behavior on the show.    If Alicia treats her co-workers like she treats her daughter, I'll bet there are alot of people who simply can't stand her.   The way to be truly successful in a job is to perform your duties to the best of your ability and, at the same time, to be a positive, reinforcing role model for others on your team.   No one likes to work with people whose goal in life is to bask in their self-aggrandizing glory and who would rather die than reach out  with encouragement and accolades when another person deserves a bit of glory.  I was dismayed at Alicia's constant laughing about her very serious problem. 

The twins.  Dr. Phil said it best when he used the word "superficial".   I'll go a step further and add "sick".  These women should be in therapy.   Many other Dr. Phil guests who are in denial about one or another character flaw at least have the good grace to be serious about their discussion with Dr. Phil.  Not these two.  I have never seen any guests absolutely giddy,  unrepentant and non-receptive about their neurosis.   Their  failure to grasp  the seriousness of the emotional damage they have done to each other and to the people around them who have had to witness this, is unbelievable.   IMO, poor parenting is the reason this competitiveness perpetuated itself during their childhood.  But, for pete's sake, they are adults now.  Why has it taken them so long to get an inkling that maybe this isn't healthy?  I'm not even sure that they went on the show to learn how to change.  Their antics were pathetic.   Add "bad manners" to what ails those two.   If either one of them has any sense of decency, they will be ashamed of their performance.    They had an opportunity to have Dr. Phil's full attention and wisdom and they blew it.   

February 4, 2006, 6:41 am CST

the twins

Shallow, petty, and pathetic.  Next!

February 4, 2006, 10:02 am CST

Competitive Freaks

One thing these competitve guys forget either in sports or whatever is Fun. You go bowling or play scrabble for the purpose of it being fun. When they think there so tough to where they alway got to win. Then its not fun not for them or the loser. When a loser loses too much then expect them to take no interest in playing. We surely don't have to kill our kids with it either...... 

February 4, 2006, 10:17 am CST

Jennifer

I in fact know Jennifer, the "obnoxious" twin on today's show. She is one of the most inspiratoinal, amazing, talented and remarkable women I have ever known. You do not know these people, you saw them on a show for an hour that simply did not tell the whole story. How does a 30 minute segment give you all the right to bash this woman? You do not know where blame lies in this situation. Until you know people, and I mean really know people, you have no right in the world to criticize them in such a way. How do you know that Jennifer (I assume, you are speaking about her, as she is the beautiful, both inside and out) is the "repulsive" one here. I love Jennifer for the person she is, not what she appeared to be on a television show. She is brilliant, caring and incredible. If you knew her, you would think so too. Let's try not to judge so much when you do not truly know what is going on in these people's lives. -Grant

February 4, 2006, 12:04 pm CST

that cd dr.phil was giving away

Does any one know where to get  that money   cd  dr.phil was giving away on his  show  the 1million  cd   .. i looked all online and i cant  find if i maybe over looking it.. jssimpson@hotmail.com thank you and  this show was great  ..learned alot from all  it and all his money  matter showes.. take care  bye  yall. 

February 4, 2006, 1:06 pm CST

Puhleeeeeze!

Quote From: twinfreak

Canada, Yes I watch Dr. Phil and I also read his books. In his book "Life Strategies" he says and I quote, "Don't feel as if you should minimize your problem, or apologize for them.  Our world has too long conditioned us not to make waves.  We don't want to make a scene or disrupt the flow of things.  As a result, we settle, quitely, much too often.  If a problem is important to you, then that's enough; that qualifys it as worthy.".  So I went to Hollywood to because no matter how small an issue it was worthy.  five minutes before we went on we were told we were the first to go on and to start competing right away, don't give Dr. Phil a chance to talk, say what you have said, but KICK it up a notch.  Nothing was made up, It was just edited and HYPED up. I love my twin with all my heart, and I said it countless times...she is the air I breathe and the heart I beat. Please do not judge something in 20 minutes. We have far more loving experience than the 20 minutes of being on the Dr. Phil show!

Please do not judge something in 20 minutes.  

Are you kidding???? 

You and your sister have been maliciously judging each other for over 40 years.    Do you think you were asked to appear because you "love" each other with all of your hearts and wanted the world to know?  You were on the show because you have a much bigger problem than you are willing to acknowledge.  If you still can't see it, I feel sorry for you. 

I watched the audiences' reaction to you two and that wasn't edited or hyped.  They gasped in horror at some of the outrageous things you two said and what they heard about your competitive antics over the course of your lifetimes.    

Get a clue....your "problem" is not a small issue.  I would have far more respect for you if you would simply own up to this malicious pattern of behavior with your sister, apologize and change your ways.    

BTW, you owe Dr. Phil an apology, too, for being such disrespectful guests on his show.   

February 4, 2006, 1:12 pm CST

Huh?

Quote From: gsefton23

I in fact know Jennifer, the "obnoxious" twin on today's show. She is one of the most inspiratoinal, amazing, talented and remarkable women I have ever known. You do not know these people, you saw them on a show for an hour that simply did not tell the whole story. How does a 30 minute segment give you all the right to bash this woman? You do not know where blame lies in this situation. Until you know people, and I mean really know people, you have no right in the world to criticize them in such a way. How do you know that Jennifer (I assume, you are speaking about her, as she is the beautiful, both inside and out) is the "repulsive" one here. I love Jennifer for the person she is, not what she appeared to be on a television show. She is brilliant, caring and incredible. If you knew her, you would think so too. Let's try not to judge so much when you do not truly know what is going on in these people's lives. -Grant

Oh.   

So it's just her twin that she treats badly. 

As for our "right" to criticize them, they're the ones who put their problem out there and they're the ones who behaved badly on the show.   

Maybe if they get some serious therapy, Dr. Phil will have them back on to show their "better selves". 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last