Message Boards

Topic : 06/15 Bad Brides

Number of Replies: 417
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 03, 2006, 04:14:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 02/06/06) Dr. Phil talks to brides-to-be who are so out of control, their loved ones call them Bridezillas! They're a new breed of engaged women who terrorize their fiancés, bridal parties and family members with their outrageous demands. For Rachel and her mother, Jeanne, the planning of Rachel's wedding has turned into an utter nightmare. Rachel wants only the best for her special day, while Jeanne wants her to stick to the budget. Will mother and daughter be able to compromise? Then, Marsha and Archie just tied the knot, but are Marsha's controlling ways already ruining the marriage? Her sister-in-law, Lisa, thinks so, and says she watched Marsha go from sweet to satanic as she got closer to the big day!  Dr. Phil has advice on avoiding wedding disasters that every bride needs to know.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2006, 7:29 am CST

Have dealt with Bridezillas

Having been a floral designer for over 20 years, I have had to deal with several Bridezillas. Most, thank goodness, never attacked me, but I have seen Brides literally SCREEM at their mothers and sometimes even the Groom. I always thought to myself, "Your Mother is paying for your wedding and you talk to her like that??" And I feel sorry for the grooms!  I also have to say I ran into a couple Groomzillas as well and have felt sorry for the Bride. I guess I just don't understand the atitudes and how people can feel they are entittled to a big wedding at all costs. My brother said he should have thrown the cash on the table and said go elope to my niece. Only thing was, the huge wedding was my sis-in-law's idea there, not my niece's. Oh well! I guess God gave me the grace to handle these types and gave me the ability to keep my mouth shut and not say what I am thinking! 

You go Dr. Phil! 

Val 

February 6, 2006, 7:31 am CST

WHAT

IM LOOKING @ THE SHOW RIGHT NOW....... THESE BLEEP BLEEPFEMALES ARE SO FRICKIN DUMB.. THE CHICK RACHEL SHE REALLYIS ABRIDEZILLA HER MOM DONT EVEN NEED2 SHOW UP

February 6, 2006, 7:32 am CST

02/06 Bad Brides

Oh my goodness, if she were my daughter I would have reservations about attending the wedding too.  My daughter is getting married in September and while her wedding is important to her she doesn't act like a spoiled baby.  We have never given our daughter a budget, but she has researched and found the cheapest vendors possible without losing quality.  Remember you aren't the only one who has dreamed of this day.   

February 6, 2006, 7:54 am CST

Completely Immature

Rachel seems completely immature and not even ready to commit to a marriage if she acts like that about one day out of her life.  And actually, Rachel, it's not YOUR wedding unless YOU are paying for it.  Yes, you get to make some decisions but they should be decisions that respect your father and mother's money.  And believe me, no one cares that much about your wedding anyway.  Everyone will forget it the week after it happens.  Wouldn't you rather have a wonderful day filled with happy family and friends than worry about the perfect color of roses or the perfect style of cake?  99% of the guests at your wedding won't even really remember what your dress looks like or how you wore your hair!!! These types of things are so insignificant.  What's important here is that you're making a commitment to your fiance to spend the rest of your life with him.  I've been married for 3 years.  I had a great wedding at about 15K which even now I think seems like too much.  But I can tell you that I honestly do not remember what we had to eat or even what the bridesmaids' flowers looked like.  But I can tell you that I remember the most important part....standing up in the church in front of everyone and promising vows to each other.  That's what's important.  Not the lobster or filet mignon. 

February 6, 2006, 8:27 am CST

CRAZY!!!

Ok I understand  the brides want a beautiful wedding I did too when I got married and I did have a beautiful wedding and it didn't cost even a fraction of what she is spending on stupidness . My mother is getting remarried in June after having been married to my father for 23 years he deid suddenly  and she has found someone new.. I joke with her that she is bridezilla  but she is nothing compared to these girls...     I don't even remember what we ate or for that matter half the people who were there and it was just close family and friends that attended mine  . I do have to admit this part though  the people who gave the hardest time was my then future mother in law and sister in law they gave us a hard time everystep of the way  from the flowers to the cake to what my now husband wore to the guestlist which for their side of the family  they didn't invite anyone  they vitoed my husband's  list of his cousins and friends of their family cause they didn't want them there.. now that to me was wrong.. Some times its not bridezillas you gotta worry about sometimes its other membes of the soon to be families..

February 6, 2006, 8:44 am CST

unbelievable

I couldn't believe what I was hearing with this last bride on your show today.  I don't even think Dr. Phil knew how to deal with her.  That's the feeling I was left with.  Sometimes I guess you just have to walk away and shake your head.  That's about how it felt when Dr. Phil walked to meet with Robin to leave the show today.  It looked as though he was perplexed and maybe a little ticked?? 

I'm just sorry that she was allowed to even be on the show.  She doesn't want to listen.  It was frustrating to watch!! 

February 6, 2006, 8:56 am CST

02/06 Bad Brides

I totally agree that Rachel needs to stick to a budget concerning her wedding.  However, aside from that I think her mother has tried to force her vision on the wedding on her daughter.  I think the best idea for them would be to sit down with a wedding planner and say "Here is our budget, here is a list of the things she would like to have, how can we make it happen?"  I think a lot of the stress between the mother and the daughter could be aliveated with another person to help them  with the details.  If the mother would rather not be involved in the planning then she can just tell the wedding planner "This is the budget I want you to work within, this is my daughter you two iron it out".  I think if a wedding planner suggests something Rachel might be more receptive.  I think she feels like her mother is trying to impose her will on the wedding rather than working with her, and the mother feels like her daughter isn't respecting her opinoin or the fact that she is paying or helping pay for it.

February 6, 2006, 9:07 am CST

One day they will be so-o-o ashamed

Rachel is acting like a spoiled brat.  She is totally missing the point about coming together with a warm heart in front of witnesses (all attendees).  By the time HER BIG DAY (not their big day - forget the poor groom - who is he anyway but a stand-up prop to her?) arrives most people would rather be anywhere but at the big production.  I believe that Rachel has forgotten the meaning of the word wedding (to wed, join) and has substituted production.   

When she watches this tape months or years from now she will be so ashamed of her behavior.   

Yes, her mother is being a bit too controlling but I believe her heart is in the right place.  Rachel is being totally self centered (rather than family centered) and combative.  She needs to grow up first.  Maybe she should postpone until she is more mature.  By then she can afford the production she believes she is "entitled" to have.  She can earn it first! 

February 6, 2006, 9:19 am CST

02/06 Bad Brides

I was dismayed when Rachel said she thought that her wedding day will be the last day when she will be important.  I am hoping that she was just making excuses for her bad behaviour.  A wedding is a nice celebration and I recall mine with fondness, but the details of the location, decorations and food certainly weren't important. The important stuff, the things that live in my memory, are the people who we love and who love us being there to wish us well. 

As far as the wedding day being the best day of your life....for your sake, I sincerely hope it isn't.  Now, after 22 years of marriage, my wedding day isn't even in the top 10 days ...and I hope that by the time I am on my deathbed that it won't score in the top 100. 

February 6, 2006, 9:20 am CST

Expectations and Bridezillas

Quote From: BrianX29

Hello Everyone 

Are these ladies putting themselves through a great deal of stress or what? Maybe there expectations for the wedding are so high to where it stresses them out. I hope its not responsibility being all put on them . There the ones doing all the work and getting no help from the husband. 

I Got to see the show on this one...... 

Thank you!!  As a new bride, who planned her whole wedding (made the veil, center peices, boquets, inviations, etc), it is stressful.  I had two bridzilla moments.  One when other brides kept getting assisted after me when I was there first (I would have been pissed in a coffee shop) and when my fiance ordered double brested suites (you have to support me on this one).  I had my wedding for $6,000 total.  It was hell planning and I didn't even get to enjoy the day until I started downing wine after dinner to cope with my mother.   

I think it's the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality that is killing these young brides (and their parents' pocket book).  Too much emphisis is placed on the wedding and not the marriage. 

In my case it was my mother that nearly caused me to bail days before the wedding.  I didn't get what I wanted (to elope) because I had to do what everyone else wanted (family, extended family, friends, etc) only to have my mother ask why I didn't elope the night before my wedding.  We're fine now though.  It's stressful and these brides need a smack in the face from the groom, mother, florist, what ever, to keep it real.  But, it is stressful and there are other situations besides the need for perfection that are making them freak out.     

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last