Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Deadly Eating

Number of Replies: 773
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 03, 2006, 04:19:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 02/08/06) We all love food, but some of us love it too much!  According to research, nine million Americans are morbidly obese. So when does the simple routine of eating turn deadly? Jazmyn weighs over 200 pounds -- and she’s only 11 years old. Her grandmother, Joan, complains that the little girl's own mother, Vicki, is responsible. Joan says Jazmyn eats fast food, junk food  and "manly-sized" portions. Can Jazmyn's young life be turned around? Then, 34-year-old Paul says his food addiction has taken over his life. At nearly 1,000 pounds, he is too big to bathe himself, dress himself, or use the bathroom without assistance. His mother, Loretta, is terrified he will die if drastic measures aren’t taken. Has she been enabling his eating habits?  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2006, 5:42 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: bigpaulak

Hi,  

My name is Paul and I am one of the people that profiled in this segment. 

I just thought I would post right away and say that I will be watching this thread as closely as I can and trying to answer questions and comments as best I can about the segment and my life for those of you that want to know. 

Please feel free to be as candid or as honest as you want in your questions and comments.   

Paul 

Hi Paul, I wanted to say that I think that you are brave to go on the Dr. Phil show and tell your story. Thanks for letting us all know your story!  

February 4, 2006, 7:46 pm CST

Deadly Eating

I watch Dr. Phil alot and read his website but registered today because I'm interested in watching this upcomming show. I give you alot of credit, Paul.  Myself as an overweight female (30 years old, and 235 pounds and only 5'3) I see America is just getting fatter and fatter. I think this show is going to hit home for alot of people. Please keep us updated Paul on how Dr. Phil said he'd help you and if your going to do it or not. I'm super curious.

February 5, 2006, 2:40 am CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: BrianX29

Hello Everyone 

I think I heard of this same guys story on the discovery/Health channel. He was on there as being one of the worlds most heaviest men. It was a story I remember watching. He looks like him. at 1000 lbs 

I saw another story very similiar to it as the worlds heaviest man at 1500 pounds. He was from Maryland the northern part I forgot where, but I live in the south. They transferred him from maryland to some other institution down south somewhere. He eventually died. Obesity had killed him. 

I havent seen the show yet, but I want to know how the mother plays a role in this. It looked on the interviews last week. The mother is the one feeding the addiction. It looks to be the mothers fault. Shes the one who feeds him. Gives him whatt he wants in food, and as much of it as he wants. It also doesnt help that he has to lay in bed most of the time. The mother is practically killing her own son. 

I havent seen the show yet. I surely hope Dr. Phil finds a way to seperate these two. That 1000 pound man needs to be taken away from his mom, or the mom needs to be taken away from the son. The mother said in the interviews that she couldnt get him out of that house. I bet Dr. Phil could get him out. I Know I surely would even if I had to lift  him out with a crain. The mother needs help getting down to the bottom as to why she feeeds him and why shes impberessed to take him out into the world.................... 

Brian  

Maryland 

I have received several emails and comments about the Dr Phil promo.

Few quick notes about it. 

First I am going to use the quote I heard on Oprah recently by Mary J Blige. 

About my mother… “I blame her for NOTHING and I forgive her everything.” 

That’s how I feel.  YES my mother blames herself a lot on the show and I wish she had not.  I am saying NOW that I never blamed my mother.  She is only guilty of loving me and being my mother.  That’s all 

Its not as though my mother brings me truckloads of food on a daily basis despite what you see.  She just only wished to see me happy and she knows that the food I wanted is what made me happy. 

~Paul 

February 5, 2006, 3:08 am CST

Addiction is the word

Quote From: outsider1

I just don't get it how people can pretty much eat their way to that size.  I love cookies, chocolate, fast food, etc but I know when and how to say no to these things.  No one can say that if it's around them then they feel like they have to eat it because that is nothing more then a sad excuse.

Sadly its about addiction. 

I wish I could say "no" but I don't have that in my mind. 

For me the food has always been more powerful then I have been. 

I don't go shopping or out thinking that I am going to gorge on bad food but somehow food has replaced all my emotions. 

When I feel happy I celebrate with food, sad I comfort with food, angry I cope with food, depressed I pick myself up with food. 

Its a nasty cycle where food has become everything and I was doing everything to get it. 

My mother gave it to me because she loves me and my friends because they care. 

Food has taken over my life and I am on my way to fixing that. 

~Paul 

February 5, 2006, 8:05 am CST

When should society intervene?

Hi,  

My name is Paul and I am one of the people that profiled in this segment. 

I just thought I would post right away and say that I will be watching this thread as closely as I can and trying to answer questions and comments as best I can about the segment and my life for those of you that want to know. 

Please feel free to be as candid or as honest as you want in your questions and comments.   

Paul 

How long have you felt you have been addicted to food?

For child under 8 or 10 parents control all that food that child consumes.  If a parent gave a child addictive drugs or alcohol that child would be removed from that parent's care. 

If a parent grossly over feeds a child unhealthy addictive foods why should we as a society allow that parent to continue without intervention?

There are thousands of kids who's parents give them what ever they want to "keep them happy" including gross amounts of very unhealthy foods and allow them to sit in front of the tv, computer or gaming machine for hours a day.  If we don't force these parents to get help while there kids are young many of them will end up like you.  It appears this is getting worse as the years go by more and more kids are heading down your path due to over indulgent parents.  Don't you think it would help to force these parents into some kind of parental education and start monitoring these kids?

A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.  This is clear and specific.  Any child with this BMI is clearly at risk for following in your footsteps. 

Should we not as a society make every effort to prevent this rather then continuing to be PC and allow kids to land on this path?

February 5, 2006, 10:52 am CST

I have received several emails and comments about the Dr Phil promo.

Few quick notes about it. 

First I am going to use the quote I heard on Oprah recently by Mary J Blige. 

About my mother… “I blame her for NOTHING and I forgive her everything.” 

That’s how I feel.  YES my mother blames herself a lot on the show and I wish she had not.  I am saying NOW that I never blamed my mother.  She is only guilty of loving me and being my mother.  That’s all 

Its not as though my mother brings me truckloads of food on a daily basis despite what you see.  She just only wished to see me happy and she knows that the food I wanted is what made me happy. 

Paul 

Hello Paul 

When I first posted the first message, I didnt even notice you already posted first. In the last message I didnt  mean to appear as if I was criticizing the situation. Sometimes I can be like that. I do wish the best for you and the help you can get to turn your health in a good direction. Ive seen Dr. Phil do a lot of good things for people. 

I was wondering if your show/story has been aired before on T.V 

February 5, 2006, 11:03 am CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Sadly its about addiction. 

I wish I could say "no" but I don't have that in my mind. 

For me the food has always been more powerful then I have been. 

I don't go shopping or out thinking that I am going to gorge on bad food but somehow food has replaced all my emotions. 

When I feel happy I celebrate with food, sad I comfort with food, angry I cope with food, depressed I pick myself up with food. 

Its a nasty cycle where food has become everything and I was doing everything to get it. 

My mother gave it to me because she loves me and my friends because they care. 

Food has taken over my life and I am on my way to fixing that. 

Paul 

Sounds like you do have a good head on your shoulders Paul and will be well on your way to getting the help you need. Bravo!

February 5, 2006, 11:52 am CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: outsider1

I just don't get it how people can pretty much eat their way to that size.  I love cookies, chocolate, fast food, etc but I know when and how to say no to these things.  No one can say that if it's around them then they feel like they have to eat it because that is nothing more then a sad excuse.

I think it sad that one can judge so quickly.  People just don't wake up and say I think I am going to be overweight.  Yes, this is my goal in life.  Addiction to food is one of the hardest to over come.  When it comes down to it you have to eat to survive.  People with this addiction have to learn how to eat all over again.  I am behind Paul 100%.  I give lots of credit for coming on the show and sharing his story.   

February 5, 2006, 12:05 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: lh2000

How long have you felt you have been addicted to food?

For child under 8 or 10 parents control all that food that child consumes.  If a parent gave a child addictive drugs or alcohol that child would be removed from that parent's care. 

If a parent grossly over feeds a child unhealthy addictive foods why should we as a society allow that parent to continue without intervention?

There are thousands of kids who's parents give them what ever they want to "keep them happy" including gross amounts of very unhealthy foods and allow them to sit in front of the tv, computer or gaming machine for hours a day.  If we don't force these parents to get help while there kids are young many of them will end up like you.  It appears this is getting worse as the years go by more and more kids are heading down your path due to over indulgent parents.  Don't you think it would help to force these parents into some kind of parental education and start monitoring these kids?

A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.  This is clear and specific.  Any child with this BMI is clearly at risk for following in your footsteps. 

Should we not as a society make every effort to prevent this rather then continuing to be PC and allow kids to land on this path?

I don't have overweight children, however, I understand how it can happen.  I don't think people need to always turn to the parent to blame.  When a child starts school they can't control the food their kids eat.  Kids exchange food.  Elementry schools now have  snacks kids can buy after they eat their lunch.  My children are always being offered candy, i.e. bank, church, friends, and family.  Thirty years ago I could go and run the neighborhood and play til dark, now I don't let my kids out front unless I am there and my oldest is 9.  With the majority in two income families, kids are left in front of the t.v. or computer.  The parents can't always control it, they have to work.  Conveince foods are so much easier when both parents work.  I just think if we are going to start pointing fingers at parents, maybe we need to walk a mile in their shoes. 

February 5, 2006, 3:07 pm CST

Courage

Despite all the biased remarks, this guy really has some courage. And to all those who dont understand an addiction- Think about it, you have to eat to survive. You cant just go with out food, its necessary. So its like if you have an addiction like that, its easy to slip, and not accomplish weight loss because food is a constant. I just hope people will keep and open mind, and maybe learn to be less judgemental. I have a lot of respect for him.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last