Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Deadly Eating

Number of Replies: 773
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 03, 2006, 04:19:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 02/08/06) We all love food, but some of us love it too much!  According to research, nine million Americans are morbidly obese. So when does the simple routine of eating turn deadly? Jazmyn weighs over 200 pounds -- and she’s only 11 years old. Her grandmother, Joan, complains that the little girl's own mother, Vicki, is responsible. Joan says Jazmyn eats fast food, junk food  and "manly-sized" portions. Can Jazmyn's young life be turned around? Then, 34-year-old Paul says his food addiction has taken over his life. At nearly 1,000 pounds, he is too big to bathe himself, dress himself, or use the bathroom without assistance. His mother, Loretta, is terrified he will die if drastic measures aren’t taken. Has she been enabling his eating habits?  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 5, 2006, 3:53 pm CST

You are wrong.

Quote From: jjjmmj

I don't have overweight children, however, I understand how it can happen.  I don't think people need to always turn to the parent to blame.  When a child starts school they can't control the food their kids eat.  Kids exchange food.  Elementry schools now have  snacks kids can buy after they eat their lunch.  My children are always being offered candy, i.e. bank, church, friends, and family.  Thirty years ago I could go and run the neighborhood and play til dark, now I don't let my kids out front unless I am there and my oldest is 9.  With the majority in two income families, kids are left in front of the t.v. or computer.  The parents can't always control it, they have to work.  Conveince foods are so much easier when both parents work.  I just think if we are going to start pointing fingers at parents, maybe we need to walk a mile in their shoes. 

Being two income or single parent is no reason for a kid to be sitting in front of a tv or computer or eating convince foods.  The small amount of food a kids can trade for is not going to make them obese.  Nor are the "treats" that others offer them.  It is when "treats" are staples and parents don't take the time to ensure there kids are active that causes the problems.  It is a heck of a lot easier to toss a bag a chips at them then it is to make them a salad.  It is a heck of a lot easier to let them watch TV or play computer games then it is to take them on a walk or bike ride. 

I have walked many miles in those shoes.  I get up 45 minutes early to walk my kids a mile and a half to school so they get in some movement in the morning.  I have cut the cable tv off and I can limit the computer time.  I do supervise them so they can play outside and I ensure they are involved in sports and other healthy activities.  I say no to keeping junk foods in the house and deal with the frowns when I say not to excess portions of unhealthy foods.  I do have to work at keeping my kids fit and healthy.  It is my job as a parent and there are no excuses to slack off on that job.  I am a single parent working full time does not make me a part time parent.  I have to do both jobs full time. 

I still say if a kid is obese (BMI 30 or higher) at 8 and there is no underlying medical issue (this is very rare) then it is the complete and full responsibility of the parents and those parents should be required to get parenting help to improve the situation.  This has to be addressed as the youngest age possible because the longer someone is living in unhealthy ways the harder and less successful that change will be.  We as a society can not absorb the cost of the medical needs of the higher and higher rates of obesity. 

February 5, 2006, 6:41 pm CST

Hi Paul

Quote From: lh2000

How long have you felt you have been addicted to food?

For child under 8 or 10 parents control all that food that child consumes.  If a parent gave a child addictive drugs or alcohol that child would be removed from that parent's care. 

If a parent grossly over feeds a child unhealthy addictive foods why should we as a society allow that parent to continue without intervention?

There are thousands of kids who's parents give them what ever they want to "keep them happy" including gross amounts of very unhealthy foods and allow them to sit in front of the tv, computer or gaming machine for hours a day.  If we don't force these parents to get help while there kids are young many of them will end up like you.  It appears this is getting worse as the years go by more and more kids are heading down your path due to over indulgent parents.  Don't you think it would help to force these parents into some kind of parental education and start monitoring these kids?

A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.  This is clear and specific.  Any child with this BMI is clearly at risk for following in your footsteps. 

Should we not as a society make every effort to prevent this rather then continuing to be PC and allow kids to land on this path?

Paul: 

Just to let you know, Dondi (my ex-the MD) from Fairbanks now in Tacoma, Brad Yeary (now in D.C.) and I are thinking of you.  I have struggled with my own addictions and know how difficult they can be to overcome.  We wish you the best, great success, and we will all be watching on Wednesday. 

Kurt  

February 5, 2006, 7:17 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: lh2000

How long have you felt you have been addicted to food?

For child under 8 or 10 parents control all that food that child consumes.  If a parent gave a child addictive drugs or alcohol that child would be removed from that parent's care. 

If a parent grossly over feeds a child unhealthy addictive foods why should we as a society allow that parent to continue without intervention?

There are thousands of kids who's parents give them what ever they want to "keep them happy" including gross amounts of very unhealthy foods and allow them to sit in front of the tv, computer or gaming machine for hours a day.  If we don't force these parents to get help while there kids are young many of them will end up like you.  It appears this is getting worse as the years go by more and more kids are heading down your path due to over indulgent parents.  Don't you think it would help to force these parents into some kind of parental education and start monitoring these kids?

A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.  This is clear and specific.  Any child with this BMI is clearly at risk for following in your footsteps. 

Should we not as a society make every effort to prevent this rather then continuing to be PC and allow kids to land on this path?

First let me say that no my story has never been profiled on TV before.  Dr Phil is my first time. 

Also I wish to say that I am only 800 pounds.  Its not a big difference in the long run but at the time of the show we were not able to weigh me and so we guessed.  My mother thought 1000 and I thought 750 and it turns out I was closer. 

As for my addiction to food I really don't know when it started.  I have ONLY just realized through self examination from the show that I really am addicted on a greater level then I thought. 

You ARe right!  If a parent gives a child drugs or alcohol that child would be removed but what parent ever thinks that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be just as bad?  You can't stop feeding your child but how many parents know just what is bad and what is good.  In these days of fast food and convience items at the store its hard to tell what is bad and what is healthy. 

Don't discount the children as well.  As a teen I remember sneaking snacks from the kitchen or using my lunch money to buy cakes and cookies rather then something healthy. 

I do think that as a society we are getting fatter and lazier and YES maybe some good parental education is a good thing. 

No one should ever end up a prisoner in their own body. 

~Paul 

February 6, 2006, 6:47 am CST

Unfortunately..

It seems that most of the obesity in this country can be tied to a lack of something, love, companionship, self-esteem, self-control.  Many people use food as a substitute for compassion, caring and love that they don't have in their life.  "I am, therefore I eat" seems to be the norm.  I am depressed about situations in my life, and find I am gaining weight because I am sitting and eating, either watching TV or on the computer, and not getting up and doing something about the situations I can control, or working out more often to maintain my weight (currently 5' 8" and 160 lbs but want to be back to 130 lbs). 

February 6, 2006, 9:18 am CST

You dont get it and never will

Quote From: outsider1

I just don't get it how people can pretty much eat their way to that size.  I love cookies, chocolate, fast food, etc but I know when and how to say no to these things.  No one can say that if it's around them then they feel like they have to eat it because that is nothing more then a sad excuse.
its called A-D-D-I-C-T-I-O-N..... these people dont choose to get this big, but they are addicted to food and cant stop eating. If you are able to say no to cookies and fast food as you say, then you are lucky to not be addicted. Plenty of people are addicts. Not just with food, but also alchohol, drugs, gambling, sex, shopping....You name it. Do you think these people want to be addicted and miserable? Instead of sitting back and making a snap judgement, try a little empathy and be happy that you are lucky to not be an addict.

February 6, 2006, 11:27 am CST

Deadly Eating

Hi Paul, this is Vicki, I am Jazmyn's mom and met your mother at the show.  She is a darling woman and my heart goes out to your family.  I wish we could have met you as well.  Childhood obesity is as devasting as what Paul is going through.  Please, if anyone has questions or comments, please feel free to share them with us. 

February 6, 2006, 1:48 pm CST

Have you Checked

Hello 

Have you checked out the web site www.obesityhelp.com ? 

There is quite a bit of support there for obese people, it doesn't 

matter if you want bariatric surgery or not.  I'd recommend anyone 

in this situation checking this web site. 

KC-NH 

February 6, 2006, 4:37 pm CST

Message to Paul

Quote From: bigpaulak

I have received several emails and comments about the Dr Phil promo.

Few quick notes about it. 

First I am going to use the quote I heard on Oprah recently by Mary J Blige. 

About my mother… “I blame her for NOTHING and I forgive her everything.” 

That’s how I feel.  YES my mother blames herself a lot on the show and I wish she had not.  I am saying NOW that I never blamed my mother.  She is only guilty of loving me and being my mother.  That’s all 

Its not as though my mother brings me truckloads of food on a daily basis despite what you see.  She just only wished to see me happy and she knows that the food I wanted is what made me happy. 

Paul 

Hi Paul, 

Please do not listen to people who want to place the blame on your mother's shoulders. She has been on this whole journey with you and I am sure she did the best she could with what she had. It is so counter productive to blame...instead move forward. With your mother's love and help you can do anything you decide to do about your problem. It is not going to be easy and you will both need each other. I wish you both the best of luck and pray for you to achieve your goals!  

February 6, 2006, 5:07 pm CST

Good For You

Hi Paul, 

I am a little over weight, meaning I can't fit into my close as good as I would like to, but I know I just need to make myself more active.  I basically just sit at home and put what ever I can find in my mouth, well not whatever, but I eat quite a bit.  I think it is just that fact that I am board.  I have exercise equipment at home and DVD but, I just don't use them as much as I should.   

But I am starting to give myself a strict, schedule, as to work and working out. 

I commend you for you courage and hang in there.  There are a lot of people who are behind you and are with you in spirit. 

You can get through this. 

Unfortunately I can't see the show,  It is on during work, but I will read the Transcripts from the show. 

Cindy in FL 

February 6, 2006, 5:21 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Hi paul 

My mom just died a month ago; she was 400 pounds. 

I am well on my way UP the scale; I am trying HARD to deal with my weight.I may have the same fate as my mother. 

I KNOW what it is like to have a food addiction. I battle my demonds EVERY day. 

They win. ALWAYS 

I always fear food; but I cant stop over eating. Sometimes I get to the point I am sick. 

I really wish there was a answer for people like us. 

Good luck in finding that "answer" 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last