Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Deadly Eating

Number of Replies: 773
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 03, 2006, 04:19:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 02/08/06) We all love food, but some of us love it too much!  According to research, nine million Americans are morbidly obese. So when does the simple routine of eating turn deadly? Jazmyn weighs over 200 pounds -- and she’s only 11 years old. Her grandmother, Joan, complains that the little girl's own mother, Vicki, is responsible. Joan says Jazmyn eats fast food, junk food  and "manly-sized" portions. Can Jazmyn's young life be turned around? Then, 34-year-old Paul says his food addiction has taken over his life. At nearly 1,000 pounds, he is too big to bathe himself, dress himself, or use the bathroom without assistance. His mother, Loretta, is terrified he will die if drastic measures aren’t taken. Has she been enabling his eating habits?  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2006, 5:31 pm CST

There is evidence

To all the people out there-there  is more and more evidence that eating can be an addiction. And lets face it the no. of people addicted to eating lettuce and carrots are few and far between  - addicted to eating the stuff that gives us a buzz.  

There are drugs out there in development that may help someday. One really interesting one was developed to treat epilepsy.  But the researchers found one of the test subjects who was obese lost weight on the drug. He just stopped over-eating. Their conclusion in researching why this would be was that it supported the view that there is a part of the brain that stops saying you've had enough and this would also be important to alcoholics. The epilepsy drug was targeting something else but also affected that center.  And that for some people eating becomes like drinking.  You do it past any point that it is beneficial to you and to the point it is deadly harmful.  In other words addiction.   

Paul I have heard that phrase you have to eat to survive many times.  And I always point out -you have to drink to survive too. Just not booze.  You can do this.  And believe it or not if you can make it thru the first 3 mos and  then the next 3 one day at a time... You won't even remember what it was like to feel the way you do right now.  Change is possible.   

February 6, 2006, 5:33 pm CST

Obesity

Paul, 

I wish you the best and am happy for you that you are not giving up.  For those of you who can't understand why someone would eat until they are overweight, you need to open your eyes.  I don't say that in a mean way.  I know you are trying to understand.  Keep reading this message board and your eyes will be opened.  I don't know of anybody who knowingly tries to eat themselves to obesity.  There are a lot of factors that could be involved depending on the person.  In the U.S., we are not as active as most of us were when we were children growing up.  In order for a person to maintain a normal weight, they must exercise daily and be very careful what they eat.  Some of us more so then others.  America is the land of opportunities, including the "supersizing" of meal portions.  When in America we eat a steak, in Europe, that same steak will feed 4 people.  We have lost sight of what a normal food portion is nowadays.  I use to go out to eat and be able to bring home leftovers for three more meals.  Then, as I  gained weight, I soon was not bringing home leftovers because there wasn't any.  Through a 5 year struggle of weight gain and a dead thyroid that didn't help, I am finally on my way back to my goal weight.  I managed to become about 130 pounds overweight.  Along that journey I could no longer exercise, struggled just to walk up and down stairs, added health problems that I never had before, and mostly was sad because I didn't like the way I looked and had to keep buying new clothes as I quickly out grew the old ones.  I grew to 300 pounds on a 5 ft. 6 in. frame.  I know how hard it was for me and how much my family worried about me.  I can't imagine how hard it is for Paul.  But, if Paul wants it, he can have it.  There is HOPE!  You are in our prayers Paul and you have a cheering section if you want it! 

February 6, 2006, 5:37 pm CST

There is evidence

To all the people out there-there  is more and more evidence that eating can be an addiction. And lets face it the no. of people addicted to eating lettuce and carrots are few and far between  - addicted to eating the stuff that gives us a buzz.  

There are drugs out there in development that may help someday. One really interesting one was developed to treat epilepsy.  But the researchers found one of the test subjects who was obese lost weight on the drug. He just stopped over-eating. Their conclusion in researching why this would be was that it supported the view that there is a part of the brain that stops saying you've had enough and this would also be important to alcoholics. The epilepsy drug was targeting something else but also affected that center.  And that for some people eating becomes like drinking.  You do it past any point that it is beneficial to you and to the point it is deadly harmful.  In other words addiction.   

Paul I have heard that phrase you have to eat to survive many times.  And I always point out -you have to drink to survive too. Just not booze.  You can do this.  And believe it or not if you can make it thru the first 3 mos and  then the next 3 one day at a time... You won't even remember what it was like to feel the way you do right now.  Change is possible.   

February 6, 2006, 6:32 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: lh2000

Being two income or single parent is no reason for a kid to be sitting in front of a tv or computer or eating convince foods.  The small amount of food a kids can trade for is not going to make them obese.  Nor are the "treats" that others offer them.  It is when "treats" are staples and parents don't take the time to ensure there kids are active that causes the problems.  It is a heck of a lot easier to toss a bag a chips at them then it is to make them a salad.  It is a heck of a lot easier to let them watch TV or play computer games then it is to take them on a walk or bike ride. 

I have walked many miles in those shoes.  I get up 45 minutes early to walk my kids a mile and a half to school so they get in some movement in the morning.  I have cut the cable tv off and I can limit the computer time.  I do supervise them so they can play outside and I ensure they are involved in sports and other healthy activities.  I say no to keeping junk foods in the house and deal with the frowns when I say not to excess portions of unhealthy foods.  I do have to work at keeping my kids fit and healthy.  It is my job as a parent and there are no excuses to slack off on that job.  I am a single parent working full time does not make me a part time parent.  I have to do both jobs full time. 

I still say if a kid is obese (BMI 30 or higher) at 8 and there is no underlying medical issue (this is very rare) then it is the complete and full responsibility of the parents and those parents should be required to get parenting help to improve the situation.  This has to be addressed as the youngest age possible because the longer someone is living in unhealthy ways the harder and less successful that change will be.  We as a society can not absorb the cost of the medical needs of the higher and higher rates of obesity. 

I give you lots of credit being a single mom and doing everything it takes to care for your children.  I don't know what that is like.  It is a huge responsibility to have.  I am always behind single parents because they have to often be both parents to their children.  However, not everyone is able to that for their kids.  I just see it in society  that people lead such busy lives we lose focus of our goals.  Often, NOT always, the kids who are overweight have a parent who is overweight.   If the parent is overweight it will be hard for the child to not be. I also know that some people just gain weight differently than other people.  Their matabolism just don't move as fast as some.  Yes, we have an overweight society, lets just look at how to solve it, rather than point fingers.   

February 6, 2006, 9:24 pm CST

You're the Parent

I have a 14 month old and an 8 yrd old who would eat all day if I let them.  All they want of course is sweets and french fries but of course I don't feed them all that stuff.  Every child would love to eat sweets and fast food all day but as a parent you know what your children want but you know what they need.  So with that said, of course the parents are responsible, she's just a child.  Take the food away from her, don't let her eat that junk food!!!

February 6, 2006, 9:33 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: a_cotell

Hi Paul, I wanted to say that I think that you are brave to go on the Dr. Phil show and tell your story. Thanks for letting us all know your story!  

Hi Paul, 

My heart does go out to you.  I am not overweight but I do have obesity in my family, it is very painful because once you reach a certain weight then I believe you are then fueled by depression and then you turn to food to curb the feelings and then before you know it your obese.  My earlier post was in regards to child obesity which I believe is the responsibility of the parents. 

February 7, 2006, 5:17 am CST

it is terrible!!!

Dear! u should do anything with yourself...as i know they have kind of plastic piece of stomach, u have to get it(it's kind of condom which must be placed in your stomach it filled up by celicon),it's impossible to be so fat, it is dangerous!!!! extemelly dangerous!!!!  sorry for my bad english.
your weight means disfunction of your organism system ( changing of things, don't know exactly words in english)

February 7, 2006, 6:11 am CST

A Thank you

Hi Paul I just wanted to say how brave I think you are for coming on a national TV show and opening your life up to the world. I know that was probably the hardest thing you have done and I give you props for doing it. I wish you the best and hope that you succeed in making your life a better one. You are a hero. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are a lot of people out there in the same situation as yourself, you can be an inspiration to those who need hope. You will be in my prayers. Some people would not have the guts to get on the Dr. Phil show and open their lives up to the criticism of the world. I personally want to thank you for being so brave.

February 7, 2006, 6:51 am CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: bigpaulak

I have received several emails and comments about the Dr Phil promo.

Few quick notes about it. 

First I am going to use the quote I heard on Oprah recently by Mary J Blige. 

About my mother… “I blame her for NOTHING and I forgive her everything.” 

That’s how I feel.  YES my mother blames herself a lot on the show and I wish she had not.  I am saying NOW that I never blamed my mother.  She is only guilty of loving me and being my mother.  That’s all 

Its not as though my mother brings me truckloads of food on a daily basis despite what you see.  She just only wished to see me happy and she knows that the food I wanted is what made me happy. 

Paul 

I am very happy to see someone take responsibility for their actions. Sometimes when you are a parent and you love your children with all your heart your biggest desire is to see them happy. Sometimes you don't do the right things everyone makes mistakes. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and we can do something to correct them. Sometimes in the correction of our mistakes we have to take an uncomfortable stand. I think your mom is a brave woman. It wasn't easy to come on the Dr. Phil show knowing that she would be criticized and talked bad about. I give her props.

February 7, 2006, 7:50 am CST

Paul

Dear Paul,  

I hope something is done so that you can live a healthy, happy life.  You are so young.  I am 30, Im overweight a little bit, Ive joined Weight Watchers and Im in the process of losing.  Is Gastric Bypass an option for you? I think you are wonderful and very brave for going on this show.  It proves you are concerned about your situation and want help. I admire you for your braveness.  I would love to talk more w/ you.  You can email me at teresa dick 30 at yahoo dot com 

Hope to hear from you soon. 
Your friend in Eastern Kentucky 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last