Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Deadly Eating

Number of Replies: 773
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 03, 2006, 04:19:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 02/08/06) We all love food, but some of us love it too much!  According to research, nine million Americans are morbidly obese. So when does the simple routine of eating turn deadly? Jazmyn weighs over 200 pounds -- and she’s only 11 years old. Her grandmother, Joan, complains that the little girl's own mother, Vicki, is responsible. Joan says Jazmyn eats fast food, junk food  and "manly-sized" portions. Can Jazmyn's young life be turned around? Then, 34-year-old Paul says his food addiction has taken over his life. At nearly 1,000 pounds, he is too big to bathe himself, dress himself, or use the bathroom without assistance. His mother, Loretta, is terrified he will die if drastic measures aren’t taken. Has she been enabling his eating habits?  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 7, 2006, 10:16 am CST

Just be happy, then!

Quote From: outsider1

I just don't get it how people can pretty much eat their way to that size.  I love cookies, chocolate, fast food, etc but I know when and how to say no to these things.  No one can say that if it's around them then they feel like they have to eat it because that is nothing more then a sad excuse.

If you don't  "get it", then thank the good Lord every day that you do not have to deal with such a thing, and don't judge something you do not understand.  

Paul - I am also on a long weight loss road. I have lost 80 of 240 lbs in the last 7 months. There IS hope. There are alot of people pulling for you.  

February 7, 2006, 11:51 am CST

HI Paul

Hi Paul - just wanted to offer my sincere words of encouragement.  While I do not struggle with my weight, many family members do, and I see their pain daily.   

My mother was morbidly obese, and at the age of 65, started going to Curves.  She's lost 75 lbs (I'm guessing), but more importantly her blood pressure is down, and she's IN SUCH A GOOD MOOD NOW!!!  I love it! 

I do love food!  However, I go to great lengths by planning head, etc. to keep things under control. Instead of stopping at the local bagle shop for a bagle w/cream cheese, I keep skim milk and oatmeal at work, and take a different route so I don't have to drive past the bagle shop.    I literally take one day at a time - each meal at a time, and try to make a good decision for that one meal or day. 

It's so empowering to just say "no thank you" to the cookies, or just take a half, then walk away.  It's hard to do, but the satisfaction I get is so much better.  It's like taking your life back.  Empowering yourself will be an amazing process for you. 

I appreciate the love you show to your mother.  It's genuine and sincere. 

Well Paul - we're all pulling for you!  Next time you find yourself in a struggle remember there's someone in central IL keeping her fingers crossed and wishing you all the best!! 

Deb 

February 7, 2006, 11:56 am CST

Thinking of you, Paul.

Paul, Just a note from texas to tell you that I hope for the best for you and your mom.  People make mistakes out of love but the best part of humanity is the choice to forgive ourselves and those around us. If you are looking for support pen pals please feel free to e-mail me anytime you want. I am trying to lose some weight also and would love to have someone to whine to about it, lol....  I'm a good listener if you need a shoulder.  lisanne1105@juno.com   Very sincerely, Susan  

February 7, 2006, 12:11 pm CST

You are so Brave

Paul:  There is much good to be said for what you are doing not only for yourself but other people that may be extremely obese.  People can hide behind their computers and judge you but really you are the strong one. 

I'm overweight as well not to the extreme that you are but I know that it is not a matter of just stopping eating or just changing your lifestyle overnight because that does not work. 

Hang in there Paul I will pray for you and all the other people in your situation. 

February 7, 2006, 12:56 pm CST

Wishes for you

Paul, 

When I saw your face on TV I recognized you right away. We went to high school together at Eielson AFB.  My name is Tamara (Mayer) Armstrong and I just want to wish you happiness as you tackle your weight and eating addiction.  Thinking of you through this courageous battle.     

Tamara 

February 7, 2006, 1:19 pm CST

Bless you.

Quote From: bigpaulak

Hi,  

My name is Paul and I am one of the people that profiled in this segment. 

I just thought I would post right away and say that I will be watching this thread as closely as I can and trying to answer questions and comments as best I can about the segment and my life for those of you that want to know. 

Please feel free to be as candid or as honest as you want in your questions and comments.   

Paul 

I want to let you know that I am behind you all the way in your future endeavors.  May God bless you..
Eating for me has certainley become comforting...

What made you come to the point of wanting to lose the weight...? 

Was there a breaking point for you?

Good luck sweety, I will pray for you to overcome this...

February 7, 2006, 1:40 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Paul, just like Tamara recognized you right away when I saw your picture, (this is Geri used to be Reyes a zillion years ago).  I knew you throughout school  (6th grade through graduation!) and we were even in choir together.  Lots of good luck on your journey and you are in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care of yourself!!! 

February 7, 2006, 2:41 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

I wish Dr.Phil would do a show on severe health problems that lead to obesity. Not all of it is wanting to endlessly eat. Even then I think if someone is DESIRING that much food to be eating all day, there is something seriously wrong with brain chemistry and there is some kind of satiety disorder going on.

. Normal people when they eat a meal, would rather throw up then eat again right away.  There are folks with endocrine problems, and I believe fat is far more then just failure of will. I do not believe anyone becomes 1000lbs just from wanting to "pig out" Something is wrong with Paul, and while he definitely seems to have an eating disorder, some kind of inner drive to eat is in him. People do not wake up one day and decide Im going to eat my head off, I want to be bedbound, and disabled. it does not work that way. I believe the causes are far more physiological then psychological. While there are some cases of the psychological, someone that serious is definitely in the physiological realm. Think of people with Prader WIlli , they have to have food literally locked up because of the BIOLOGICAL urge to eat, it is the same thing.

Our food today has less nutrition in it, they literally pour growth hormones into it from giving it to the animals. High fructose corn syrup is one of the biggest causes of obesity also.

Here is what Paul should do.

1. Get tested for all endocrine disorders including ones that can affect saitey...it sounds like he has some severe form of a saitety disorder. {Most likely his thyroid is off despite any eating disorder}

Prader Willi, Diabetes,

Full medical scan--check for fluid retention. Most people do not realize that in these greater weights, much of the weight can be FLUID rather then FAT.

2. Consider enrollment in a rehab center for the severely obese, they are out there. There is one in Lincoln Nebraska called Madonna, there are nursing homes/rehab centers that focus on getting the wheelchairbound/bedbound severely obese mobile and active again in different states. Some in Ohio have been on the discovery network.

February 7, 2006, 6:08 pm CST

Not always chemical

Quote From: peepinbud

I wish Dr.Phil would do a show on severe health problems that lead to obesity. Not all of it is wanting to endlessly eat. Even then I think if someone is DESIRING that much food to be eating all day, there is something seriously wrong with brain chemistry and there is some kind of satiety disorder going on.

. Normal people when they eat a meal, would rather throw up then eat again right away.  There are folks with endocrine problems, and I believe fat is far more then just failure of will. I do not believe anyone becomes 1000lbs just from wanting to "pig out" Something is wrong with Paul, and while he definitely seems to have an eating disorder, some kind of inner drive to eat is in him. People do not wake up one day and decide Im going to eat my head off, I want to be bedbound, and disabled. it does not work that way. I believe the causes are far more physiological then psychological. While there are some cases of the psychological, someone that serious is definitely in the physiological realm. Think of people with Prader WIlli , they have to have food literally locked up because of the BIOLOGICAL urge to eat, it is the same thing.

Our food today has less nutrition in it, they literally pour growth hormones into it from giving it to the animals. High fructose corn syrup is one of the biggest causes of obesity also.

1. Get tested for all endocrine disorders including ones that can affect saitey...it sounds like he has some severe form of a saitety disorder. Most likely his thyroid is off despite any eating disorder

Prader Willi, Diabetes,

Full medical scan--check for fluid retention. Most people do not realize that in these greater weights, much of the weight can be FLUID rather then FAT.

2. Consider enrollment in a rehab center for the severely obese, they are out there. There is one in Lincoln Nebraska called Madonna, there are nursing homes/rehab centers that focus on getting the wheelchairbound/bedbound severely obese mobile and active again in different states. Some in Ohio have been on the discovery network.

All good points, however, the cause is not always chemical.  A lot of people (myself included) who compulsively/emotionally overeat and abuse food do it to numb themselves of some pain.  To not have to deal with life or deal with feelings.  Not being fulfilled. 

This is where a lot of diets and life style change programs fail - they target what we should eat rather than why we eat the bad food/too much food in the first place.  You can push any amount of menu plans on me and they all just make me want to eat more.  We need to learn to love ourselves enough to care about what we put into ourselves - expect more of ourselves as Dr Phil would say.  How do you love someone who you loathe (youself)?  That's the quesiton a lot of people want the answer to. 

February 7, 2006, 6:35 pm CST

02/08 Deadly Eating

Quote From: peepinbud

1. Get tested for all endocrine disorders including ones that can affect saitey...it sounds like he has some severe form of a saitety disorder. Most likely his thyroid is off despite any eating disorder

Prader Willi, Diabetes,

I tend to agree with the above. I have seen a few shows w/ the morbidly obese and it isint always the fact that the person over eats.

saw like a cnn doc on obesity last week that says that society being 'fat' is due to a lot of reasons. mostly due to enviroment (re: easily ready and available food 24/7) and the fact our bodys were more designed to be able to cope w/ lots of excersise and minimal food vs lots of food and little excrrsise. it also pointed out that not only was it a physilogical problem but also pointed out that lots of people have emontial problems that are soothed with food which leads to severe weight gain.

to me it makes sense it isint just like ONE reason although I have to (honestly) wonder why some people are like more affected than others.

i try not to judge a person in that siutation, its just that when you watch a show like TLC's 1,000 man and you hear stuff like that one of the people on the show could eat like *32* pork chops in one sitting,  it's like how in the WORLD dosen't the brain and stomach say like 'STOP!!!!!!!! we are FULL'?

but then I am not in that situation and I wouldn't wish it on anyone in the world

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last