Message Boards

Messages By: 2newhealth

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
frustrated
July 23, 2005, 1:58 am CDT

Aspergers's/ADHD

I can totally relate to what you are going through.  My children are 13, 15, and 17.  My two youngest have been diagnosed with ADHD and my youngest - well, he has been diagnosed also with OCD, ODD, anxiety and depression and now they are finally seeing what I see and are saying they are leaning towards Asperger's or PDD NOS (Pervasive Developmental Dissability not otherwise specified) which are both on the autism spectrum.  I don't really feel like most people understand.  Right now he is in a behaviour classroom which I am now finding isn't the best situation for those with autism because they are dealing with the behaviour instead of what is causing the behaviour which is alot of sensory issues.  We have lots of meltdowns - sometimes I don't even know how to deal with the meltdowns.  Alot of days I am overwhelmed.  Sometimes he likes back massages because he likes the deep pressure (sensory thing) and it seems to calm him down.  I have been fighting with the school district since he was three trying to get help (he is now 13 and in Jr. High - big tansition period).  I wish there was more help out there that made things easier like getting the brain scans that Dr. Phil was talking about.  We were on a 2 year waiting list to get evaluated and I finally gave up because he was in a special ed. class and on an IEP (individualized Education Program) and felt we didn't need the label.  Most recently I have been on 2 waiting lists because I found that we did need the label to get help for him.  We are finally being evaluated but it is a long process.  I have thought about homeschooling several times but felt that he really lacks in social skills (even though he has had social skills classes the last 2 and a half years).  I really felt he needed the interaction with other kids and I truly needed a break and wasn't really sure I knew the best way to teach him.  The teachers were able to come up with additional ideas that I hadn't even thought of.  Some of our teachers are highly skilled and good at what they do.  Bravo for you for home schooling.  I admire those that do.  Keeping up with him is a full time job and I have to check up on him alot.  I was thrilled that Dr. Phil had something about Asperger's on his show.  I really feel that we have had to educate our school district on Asperger's and how to deal with children with AS since it has only been a diagnosis since 1994.  My doctor who is highly skilled in ADHD saw just that instead of the underlying problem and I felt alot of signs were there.  I just wanted to let you know that I feel for you!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board