Message Boards

Messages By: muggens

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
frustrated
July 23, 2005, 10:14 pm CDT

My four year old still won't go!

My daughter turned 4 in April and she still won't pee in the potty! (she does poop in it so thank God for some miracles) It isn't that she isn't "aware" or can't control it. She just simply refuses to go. She holds it for as long as she can and then goes in her pants during transition (i.e. en route to the grocery store) or when she is upset with me. I recognize this as her way of controlling what she can and was given the advice (almost a year ago!) by her pediatrition to ignore it and she will eventually just start using it. I'm still waiting for that day and seeing no light at the end of the tunnel. Her teachers are concerned, I'm concerned and very frustrated. My daughter and I have had many discussions about this being social unacceptable, isn't it uncomfortable, etc., etc. SHe does recieve a popsicle for going but that has lost it's impact and I feel like I have no leverage left. I'm begining to consider therapy for her and have been worrying that she's been sexually abused! Anyone out there that can tell me I'm not alone or tell me what to do would be much appreciated. My patience is slipping! Frustraed in Seattle

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
blank
July 26, 2005, 9:50 pm CDT

Potty Training

Quote From: serez03

Wow, I can't believe it she is 4 and not potty trained my goodness. I seems to me you are to lenient on her getting her way all the time. I don't mean to offend in any way but 4 years old come on. She doesn't need any therapy you need to be consistant on what you do. I have hree daughters the oldest is 2 and was potty trained at 18 months and the twins are now 18 months are I have started potty training. They now understand what pipi and CACA (Poop) is and are starting to understand it is not riht to use it on there undies. I get them on panties when i get home from work and I am constantly asking if they want to pipi and taking them to the potty every 15 minutes until the pipi (urine) is in the potty. piecs of chocolate as a reward if they do and nothing if they don't.

Your daughter is now 4 years old take her to the potty make hersee that she is old enough and how she feels to be in diapers and the other kids in undies. but be consistent. Have you taken her to the store with her pants wet and tell her how everybody is looking at her wet. Just have patience and Consistent if you notice she is needing to go to the rest room take her don't let her run over you and get her way. Kids are very smart and can get you you trained if you are not as stubborn as they are.

Don't give up and keep at it Good Luck!

I am being as consistent as i can: She wears underwear all day, pull ups at night, I ignore accidents and reward success. I don't believe in shaming a child but yes, she has spent plenty of time in wet pants at the store, park, zoo, you name it. And this has been going on for a year. So you tell me when these wet pants might start to bother her. Don't worry you didn't offend but you might want to be more careful about the words you choose. Judging people and thier parenting when you don't even know them. Don't you think people come to this board when they just don't know what else to do? If we could all only be so lucky to have children as perfect as yours!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board