Message Boards

Messages By: yourpalkit

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
frustrated
July 25, 2005, 8:16 pm CDT

Finally!

After a bunch of tries to get an email sent out to me under the old name and address I had to settle for this name.  I am sure it is frustrating to me but the rest will still know it is me!

YOUR PAL KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
frustrated
July 25, 2005, 8:27 pm CDT

Finally!

Glad we are all finding our way back to the boards.  Hello Everyone! 

KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
July 26, 2005, 12:00 pm CDT

Chilli

Summer is a very busy time for MM and her job and we usually do loose her posts most of the Summer but then she starts to report to us and keep us going thru the rest of the year.  As far as the Exercise board it is nice to use it as a journal for our exercise and not a chat board.  That way you can see your progress just in how your exercise is improving regularly.  Also it is a great place to get ideas for Intensional Exercise and to know you are not alone in your efforts. 

I also think it is great to keep recipes on the recipe message board too.  That way we can refer back to it and find them by topic quickly. 

This is only my opinion.  But I am all in favor of keeping the exercise board going!  See what the others think.  I can only check out the exercise board on the weekends so I get to see how my buddies are doing that week and I can apply that to my next weeks plan for exercise.  If I have something I found online or in a book I can post it there and I know other will see it.  When there is many posts each day those kinda things get lost or missed!

Your PalKIT

PS  Anyone that has emails for the others might want to send them an email and tell them that the boards are working again.  I did send Debbie an email, but someone else might want to contact her.  I did not have any of the others emails. 

Vicki glad you find your way in!  Took me days!

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
July 26, 2005, 8:22 pm CDT

Chilli

The aqua bike exercise with the noodle is fun.  You change the benefits with the size of the circle you make while peddling.  Large slow warm up circles are not as much cardio as little kiddy tricycle circles that you can do fast.  Using your arms with or without weights are another way to add more of a workout using this tool.  Enjoy your aqua bike!   There is also a chair that you sit on that has a noodle to keep you boyant.  With it you can kick easier and use your arms more.  Good for those that don't swim or have back problems and need the extra support.  http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product=239785zz&dept_id=12240&cm_ven=GoogleAdAuto&cm_cat=Outdoor_Recreation+Pool&cm_pla=Noodle_Pool_Chair&cm_ite=239785zz&code=macs=MP5WGGL

KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
July 27, 2005, 7:47 pm CDT

Hello Everyone!

Becky> I agree about the hot weather I did not want to eat breakfast when it got hot and only have a light lunch and a late dinner.  I found it very hard to have snacks so I got some that were frozen like my grapes and that helped me get thru eating 2 meals and 2 snacks.  I just could not force myself to eat breakfast.  Guess I fell back into an old habit.  Portions were not problem.  I found I did not want to eat a whole portion of anything but ICE and WATER. 

Debbie> I am glad you found us I had not heard from you and was not sure you got my email.  Glad you took the time to join us before work!  Hope things are working out for you! 

Vicki> The extreme hot weather has broken here with the temps being 15 to 20 degrees lower than the first of the week.  Hope it has cooled off for you and Becky!  Want to join Becky in her pool some night?  POOL PARTY!!!!  

Hope everyone is finding their way around the new format for Dr Phil.  Keep trying so you can teach us a few tricks!

KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
July 28, 2005, 9:27 am CDT

Welcome Mary Lou!

Glad you found us and I hope you are not shy!  We all enjoy new ideas for Intensional Exercise to fulfil Key #6.  We are all working at different levels.  Personally I have enjoyed the fact that we all have favorite tapes we work out to and that some of us can attend classes.  Some of us stroll, some walk faster and some of us even run!  The common bond is we all enjoy what we are doing.  Hope you can find a variety of exercise that you can get benefit from. 

I have always enjoyed walking and enjoying nature.  I have always been athletic, enjoyed many sports.  My activity level dropped off with age and after an injury that I ignored I was forced back into exercising in physical therapy and now for the last 3 years that has been a big part of my daily routine. 

After physical therapy did what it could, I continued to exercise at a health club I joined.  I started out in the water classes and slowly added the circuit of machines (my least favoriet) and classes in the studio that include aerobics, yoga and tai chi and some tai bo.   Only thing I have failed at miserably is the spinning class.  My bottom does not fit that skinny seat! 

Hope to hear from you regulary!

YOUR PAL KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
July 28, 2005, 9:46 am CDT

Chilli

Some pools don't supply you with the equipment but allow you to bring your own.  I have the gloves and ankle weights and wrist weights that are made for in the water.  I don't use the water shoes but know many in my classes that have purchased them and swear by them.  Our club does supply the noodles, kick boards and aqua dumbells.  I got very good results using the dumbells that come in three different weigh levels (5lb, 10lb, 15lb).  They also have a water barbell that is nice too. 

I have used the noodle under the arm pits and around the back to keep me afloat and the dumbells under the arm so I could do ab work in the water and twist smoothly protecting the back from a hard surface.  We also use the noodles for stretching,  range of motion and balance.  We have a whole routine that we do with the noodles, kickboards and aqua dumbells.  Glad you are enjoying working out in the water!  Keep up the good work!

YOUR PAL KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
frustrated
July 28, 2005, 7:07 pm CDT

Becky

I know you are right.  I tried doing that and it did not work out well.  So I tried eating breakfast a little at a time and that just did not work out!  Even tried to drink breakfast but that did not work out.  The problem is gone now that the extreme heat is gone!  I am thankful for that problem to be over.

Hope you are having good luck with the craft project this week!

KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
July 28, 2005, 7:10 pm CDT

Mary Lou Who? LOL

Sorry Betty Lou I did not mean to change your name!  Happy brain combined with excited fingers makes for interesting name changes! 

KIT

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
upset
July 28, 2005, 7:30 pm CDT

OH I have done it again! LOL

Bettylu I will get your name down if it takes the rest of this week and a not on the side of the monitor!  At my age post its come in very handy.

Chilly I will try to spell your name correctly too!  This might take a bunch of post its!

The 5 lb aqua dumb bells will be fine for starters.  They will tone your muscles and strenghten them by using the resistance of the water and you trying to keep them under water.  IF that gets too easy you can always put them across each other and use two in one hand.  Just make sure you work both sides.  You can also bring a 5lb set to the next level by adding a cut up noodle across the bar.  If you start out with the 10 lb weights you might get very tired quickly and do damage from not building up your muscles for a while.  I never risk injury.  

With the aqua dumbbells I do the regular freehand weight moves keeping them under water.  I make sure I use them to work every muscle in my arms and shoulders and upper body and use the noodle to work the lower body.  You can actually sit on the noodle like it was a swing and do exercises to strenghten the core muscles which makes your balance better.  I actually even stand on the noodle and push it down toward the bottom using my knees and let it rise keeping it from getting away from me.  That is a good exercise to strenghten the knees and ankles.  When I am in the Arthritis water class we sit on the noodle and move the ankles rotating them slowly.  We even do toe exercises and face exercises and work on the fingers because as you touch your different fingers to your thumb you are using smaller muscles in your arms and shoulders and toning the whole arm rather than just the larger muscle groups.

I will try to post some of the water exercises here soon.  I have shared them with Becky and others and can post them again this Summer! 

KIT

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board