Messages By: momof4gals

User Mood
Scared

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 9:28 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: jencofresi

my 13 yr old is the oldest of 5. 4 boys 1 girl. any advice on how to handle up coming puberty?? or anything on helping him to become responsible. He shows very little responsibility of anything.

I am having issues with my 13 year old daughter. Sort of like you're dealing with in regards to your son. 

Currently they are in Alaska on a visit to family.  All her and her older sister do is fight, verbally.

Like you I've taken stuff away, grounded blah blah.  You know the routine :)

I was thiking today that both seem to take things for granted.  They have been allowed 1 hour on the internet a day.  Well, I know they both love the internet so what better weapon for me?

I've decided when they get back that they'll have to earn their internet time.  They'll be allowed to check their emails but aside from that they get no internet time UNLESS they don't back talk, don't fight, don't argue, no name calling, do their chores etc. They can earn 10 minutes - not to exceed 60 minutes. Also, I've decided that if they earn time then do something bafoonish I'll deduct time.

Perhaps something like that will work with your son?  Maybe with tv or whatever he REALLY enjoys?

User Mood
Scared

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 9:33 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: momof4gals

I am having issues with my 13 year old daughter. Sort of like you're dealing with in regards to your son.

Currently they are in Alaska on a visit to family. All her and her older sister do is fight, verbally.

Like you I've taken stuff away, grounded blah blah. You know the routine :)

I was thiking today that both seem to take things for granted. They have been allowed 1 hour on the internet a day. Well, I know they both love the internet so what better weapon for me?

I've decided when they get back that they'll have to earn their internet time. They'll be allowed to check their emails but aside from that they get no internet time UNLESS they don't back talk, don't fight, don't argue, no name calling, do their chores etc. They can earn 10 minutes - not to exceed 60 minutes. Also, I've decided that if they earn time then do something bafoonish I'll deduct time.

Perhaps something like that will work with your son? Maybe with tv or whatever he REALLY enjoys?

sorry, I was actually trying to respond to jasmamaus but hit the wrong button :)

However, when my eldest (nearly 20) was hitting puburty the one thing I found the most helpful was talking.  Everyday I'd spend one on one time with her. Granted, girls hitting puberty is a tad bit different then a boy but really, be available to answer questions.  If you're not comfortable with that there are lots of books out there geared towards pre-teens that you might find helpful to hand over to your son :)

User Mood
Scared

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 9:37 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: jb7ctx

What are all of your thoughts on schools having a "full time" nurse at the school? My son will attend kindergaten this year. He is a diabetic child on insulin. The school he will be going to has a part time nurse. She goes to different schools each day throughout the county. I had to sign a piece of paper when I registered him for school this year stating that the school would not be held responsible for anything that happens to him at school. The schools are granted immunity. I later found out that if anything happened to my son at school pertaining to his disease, that I would be held responsible for "medical neglect". I dont think this is fair. We are now pushing the school to get a full time nurse for his care while he is at school. I have contacted the American Diabetes Association and got a copy of all of my sons "civil rights". He cannot be discriminated against because of his diabetes. I was told that he has to have his glucagon kit kept at school so that way the school will be forced to get a full time nurse. I have also contacted the Board of Education about this and the man said that if the school got a full time nurse, the school will have to pay for the full time nurse. (I thought the Board of Education pays for this). Either way I think the school is going to be upset that we are requestiong a full time nurse, because they are not wanting to pay for one, but I know that the school is receiving funds for my child attending there and I think they can use those funds to pay for his nurse. Whats a concerned mother to do? I want to have "peace" in knowing that my child will be taken care of properly while in the schools care. I think ALL schools ought to have a full time nurse. Anything can happen to anyone while being there. What do you guys think?
Geeze.  I know some school districts around us have a traveling nurse.  However, I also know that if the need is there a child can be sent to another school, even if out of district, that has a full time nurse available.  The district would have to provide transportation.  Also, if the school cannot provide adequate supervision etc then it is the school districts responsibility to provide home education/turtoring so that the child may receive the adequate medical attention at home.

User Mood
Scared

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 9:46 pm CDT

Ouch

I have primary progressive multiple sclerosis.  I took care of people with ms when I was a nurses aide but never realized how they felt until recently.  I have a whole new understanding of what they were going through.

Heat effects me.  Cold effects me.  Medication helps but geeze, I get so tired of being tired! Then to add to it the medications don't take care of the problem.  Sure they take the edge off but what I would give for just ONE day without a spasm, cramp, electrical shocks etc.  Ahhhh, some day maybe it'll happen :)

People don't understand those with chronic pain.  I didn't until these past months.  People don't understand when we don't want to talk.  Socialize.  Laugh.  People don't understand when we just don't have the patience.  Some days I find I'm snappy, or have what others consider an attitude. 

I used to get angry at others for making comments etc.  But now I'm just thank ful they don't know what it's like. I don't wish chronic pain on anybody.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board