Message Boards

Messages By: young_one

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
worried
July 27, 2005, 9:35 pm CDT

I wanna "shed" some weight

I am 16 years old. And I love Dr. Phil, I watch him everyday when I come home from school. He's amazing.

I feel that I have a couple pounds on me, that shouldn't be there. I love to drink pop, and eat perogies, chips, popcorn, pogos, pizza etc. I always eat my fruits and vegetables. I want to go on a diet (as in, I want to ditch, all these greasy, and fattning foods, and eat much healthier) but I dont know how. When I get up to walk to the fridge, I tell myself, eat something healthy, but once I get there, I see the pop, and pour myself a glass, and then I'll see the Doritos or popcorn sitting there, and I grab it, and hit the couch. I dont relaly exercise, I walk around my town (we live in a very small town) sometimes, whenever I go out with friends. But, I want to get a flatter stomach, thinner thighs, and a smaller butt. I dont know how. I always tell myself, tomorrow I'll ditch my habits, but I can never seem too. I dont have money or the time to go to the gym, and I dont know what aerobics are or pilates. What kind of exercises should I do, and what kind of food is HEALTHIER to eat, can anyone please give me advice on how to stick to my goals?!

Melissa. 

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 1, 2005, 10:56 pm CDT

Thank you so much

Quote From: trim140

Melissa, Dr. Phil's son, Jay McGraw, has a book out written specifically for teens, "The Ultimate Weight Solution for Teens". It's basically the same program, but it addresses social situations that teens find themselves in that adults don't usually deal with. I'd suggest you get a copy of that book and read it. Dr Phil's Food Guide is an excellent source in telling you what foods are good for you and which ones are "empty calories". In using the 7 keys he outlines in the book, you communicate with the people close to you that you need their help and support. Create a family activity of cleaning up the environment... dump the unhealthy foods or give it away to a food bank or something. You said you have a "couple pounds on me". Don't go about this adventure as a weight loss program, but one that teaches you how to live a heathy lifestyle. Getting the education about it now is wonderful! I wish I had learned far sooner than I did.

As far as exercise goes, you don't need to join a gym. There is a book, Total Body Makeover by Bob Greene (Oprah's trainer) that has an excellent exercise program outlined for you. He also explains the how and why of the exercises. I will say that saying you don't have the time to go to the gym (or to exercise) is faulty thinking. When something is high enough on your priority list you MAKE the time. Re-work your schedule so you DO have the time. It required me getting up an hour earlier each day to fit it in, which wasn't real pleasant in the beginning. But I found it's a fantastic way to start my day. I hope this info helps somewhat.

Gail

Hello, again. I'm definately going to get those two books. I'll get my mom to pick them up for me, because she's going to the mall in 2 days. About the gym, I kind of dont have a lot of time to go. I go to school during the week, and on weekends, I volunteer at the SPCA, (the humane society), and I dont have money, to keep busing back and fourth, and I would like to buy a membership to go there, but, it costs like $60. I dont have that. I REALLY need to get rid of my junk food. Lately, I've been telling my mom, everytime she goes grocery shopping, I tell her, can you please get me a lot of fruits (mangos, kiwis, strawberrys, plums, peaches, grapes etc.), cause I REALLY LOVE fruits and veggies, everytime I open the fridge, there will be orange juice, milk, water, and pop in there, and what I go for is the pop, my dad told me to cut it down, but I just can't. Its like bitting my nails, I cant help it. It drives me insane, I know I need to stop but I can't. I really appreciate you, taking the time, to type all this out, to try and help me. I'll definately get those books. Usually, when I get bored, I eat a lot!! Anything. I'll eat it. Even when I'm full, I'll still crave something, so I'll go and eat it. I will definately try really hard, to kick my bad habits, and I will definately keep you updated. I now, way 125, and I will try and work out my problem. And, I will let you know how I am doing.

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 3, 2005, 10:16 pm CDT

oops

Quote From: young_one

Hello.

I am 16 years old, and I am not going into grade 12. In the 8th grade, I was tormented, all the time. It really hurt. And, I hated going to school. I had 3 friends, who turned on me too. I seen them one time, 2 yrs ago, during the summer, and they started calling me all these rude names, and I didn't understand why, they were doing it. Then another girl, turned on me. she threatened to beat me up one time. She called my house, constantely. Then my mom finally blocked her number, and she still hates me. The reason why she turned on me, is because supposedly I kept calling her house, then hanging up, all the time, and I didn't. I tried telling her that but she didnt believe me, I believe that the next time she sees me, she will try something, but I will get her back. I think you should call the police, and have them talk to those girls, and you can get a restraining order, because if the police talk to them, that may not do anything, but if you get a restraining order on them, then she wouldn't have to change schools, and she can still be in that dance class. Or, if your daughter is still scared, I think that maybe you should change her schools. Then, she could make new friends. You can also block those girls' phone numbers from your phone. Girls can be very harsh. I think girls are worse than boys. And, since those girls keep calling your daughter, they can be charged for harassment and stalking, because they keep calling your daughter, and you also have proof that they keep tourmenting her. I think that you should go to the police, just to be on the safe side. Because, you never know. Your daughter can be in the bathroom, and one of those girls, could walk in and see her or something. I think that you should call the police, and get a restraining order. I think a restraining order would be necessary because if the police talk to them, it may or not stop them. tell your daughter to take care, I hope I offered you some advice. Good Luck to you, and your daughter.

PS. the parents of those girls are probably thinking "girls will be girls" but it's much deeper than that.

I meant I am going into grade 12. sorry.

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 3, 2005, 10:16 pm CDT

I'm a teen myself . . .

Quote From: 101160

hi there i think you should call the authorities.that can be considered harrassment or stalking also.If you have her phone and see that they harass her yet well you have proof.let their parents deal with that then if they think it will blow over.I hate that attitude some parents have that their kid can do no wrong.My daughter to will be going into grade 10 and is fifteen also.i have posted her story here on the board probably back near the back page somewhere if you are interested in reading it.keep posting you will get support here i hope its a new board and not alot of posts yet,but there will be.take care and god keep your daughter safe.cathykids dancing

Hello.

I am 16 years old, and I am not going into grade 12. In the 8th grade, I was tormented, all the time. It really hurt. And, I hated going to school. I had 3 friends, who turned on me too. I seen them one time, 2 yrs ago, during the summer, and they started calling me all these rude names, and I didn't understand why, they were doing it. Then another girl, turned on me. she threatened to beat me up one time. She called my house, constantely. Then my mom finally blocked her number, and she still hates me. The reason why she turned on me, is because supposedly I kept calling her house, then hanging up, all the time, and I didn't. I tried telling her that but she didnt believe me, I believe that the next time she sees me, she will try something, but I will get her back. I think you should call the police, and have them talk to those girls, and you can get a restraining order, because if the police talk to them, that may not do anything, but if you get a restraining order on them, then she wouldn't have to change schools, and she can still be in that dance class. Or, if your daughter is still scared, I think that maybe you should change her schools. Then, she could make new friends. You can also block those girls' phone numbers from your phone. Girls can be very harsh. I think girls are worse than boys. And, since those girls keep calling your daughter, they can be charged for harassment and stalking, because they keep calling your daughter, and you also have proof that they keep tourmenting her. I think that you should go to the police, just to be on the safe side. Because, you never know. Your daughter can be in the bathroom, and one of those girls, could walk in and see her or something. I think that you should call the police, and get a restraining order. I think a restraining order would be necessary because if the police talk to them, it may or not stop them. tell your daughter to take care, I hope I offered you some advice. Good Luck to you, and your daughter.

PS. the parents of those girls are probably thinking "girls will be girls" but it's much deeper than that.

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 3, 2005, 10:25 pm CDT

hello there

Quote From: flmarijane

Please help me. I am the single mom of a 17 year old girl. The first week of summer a boy down the street came to the house and started talking to her. He told her he was 19, I felt like he was a little too old for her, but she really liked him and all they were doing was talking in the yard at my house or his parents. To make a long story short he isn't 19, he's 23! My 25 year old son found out and went to his parents home and told them to keep this man away from his sister!! My daughter was heart broken, didn't eat or sleep for days. Mad at me, mad at her brother, and mad at the world. He soon disappeared from his parents home and she convinced herself he was living in a box somewhere. This went on for 2 months, Wednesday night on a routine walk she ran into him. He was doing a neighbors yard, he no longer lives with his parents but has moved in with a friend and his mom. There is a reason men aren't suppose to be with young girls, my daughter is so hungry for the attention of the man she won't listen to me anymore. He said things to her a boy can't equal. He made a few attempts to kiss her in the past and always wanted to hug her. The kissing never happened but recently she confided in me she wishes it had.This is a girl I have had no trouble with in the past. At this very moment I don't even know where she is...but I have a good guess. What do I do? This man is not a good influence. Did I add she is a virgin and he isn't. He has no job and gets high....I am so inexperienced in anything like this. Do I just listen to her when she wants to talk but not inter fear? I'm afraid if I stop her, I'll lose her!!!

hello there. I am 16 yrs old. Your last sentence was. "I'm afraid if I stop her, I'll lose her!!!" what if you dont stop her, and lose her? You need to grab her and sit down with her. Explain to her that he's too old for her. Their's a 6 year difference. IF he does take her virginity from her, well then that's rape. And, you can charge him. Then he will stay away from her. But, I think you should sit down, and talk to her. You have to communicate with her though. You have to let her talk to you. Ask her what's going on between them. Tell her your concerned for her safety. Tell her that she can find someone younger, more her age. She doesn't need a guy, who is on drugs, and has no job. This man will probably tell her stuff, she wants to hear, and might try and get her into drugs and stuff. If she starts getting upset, ask her why she is getting upset, then let her get it all out there. I hope I offered you some advice.

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 3, 2005, 10:48 pm CDT

Hello

Quote From: pwilt65

Dear Dr. Phil,

I am a 2yrs. divorced dad with 3 children, 15, 13, 11. I share custody with their mom 50/50. My fiancee is also divorced, approx 4yrs., but apart about 10yrs, and also shares custody with the dad 50/50. My fiancee's daughter is 18 yrs. old, and also hates me. My fiancee and I recently moved in together. The week before we moved in together, father's day weekend, the 18yr. old was kicked out of her dad's house for irreverant behavior. Well, after nearly 3yrs. of tension and the passed several weeks of living together all heck hit the fan one night. I was forcefully explaining to the young lady that my 11yr. old daughter was feeling intimidated by her. She blasted me with the following; " I don't like you because I have no respect for you, never have and never will. You're a f____ing a__hole and a f____ing d__k! " This was said to me in front of 2 of my children, the 13yr. old and the 11yr. old, as well as her 14yr. old brother and her mother, my fiancee. I blasted her back that she had a nerve not respecting me when she hasn't yet even accomplished anything in her young life, not even completing the 11th grade ( she had to repeat her junior year ). Moreover I hollered, how dare she use language like that towards me, and in front of my children. Even my fiancee was getting into it now, but directing her anger at me. My fiancee never said a disapproving word to her daughter. As the yelling continued I said to the daughter then just GO! Again, this was in front of everyone. It was not a pretty sight. Now my ex-wife doesn't want my kids around my fiancee and is threatening to file for full custody. Likewise, my fiancee's ex is threatening to do the same. My kids do still want to see the both of us, but my wife won't allow it, at least for now. Her daughter wants no part of me, while her son wants less contact with me and my family. Prior to the incident, he had a good relationship with my children and an excellent one with me. My fiancee and I owned up to our bad behavior and apologized to all, but the daughter said she wishes I was dead and she'd say the very same things all over again. How do we ever repair this? We love each other, built a new house for us and the kids, and we waited 2 yrs. for her daughter to graduate before moving in together. We don't want to split up, but don't want to lose our kids either.

Please respond. We desperately need your advice.

Hi, I am 16 yrs old. And though I am not an adult yet, I will give you my opinion, you dont need to take it, but I'm just putting it out there for you. I think that you and your fiancee need to sit down, and talk about what has been happening. I think you both need to talk to your ex's. I think that you should kick the 18 year old out. I think your fiancee has to realize that her daughter still has some problems accepting a new man in her life. I think that you guys should kick her out, and send her back with her dad, and not allow her into your home until, she gains some more respect for you. Because, it is your house too, and she should respect the both of you. I'm not saying that your fiancee shouldn't see her, but I think that you guys shouldn't allow her back into your house until she starts showing a little more respect and appreciation towards you. I think that your fiancee should sit down and talk to her. Because she is the one causing problems in your household.

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 3, 2005, 10:55 pm CDT

huh?

Quote From: vanitysgun

hey guys...i was just wondering if any of you were raising children that are straightedge (sXe, XXX, etc) For those of you that don't know, that means no sex, no drugs, no drinking. Which i think is great morals to have but my parents and i were talking about it recently and they were upset that my sister is sXe... i am so confused. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Sorry, I dont quite understand. The are upset that your sister is what?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board