Message Boards

Messages By: there4youu

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
blank
August 10, 2005, 3:16 pm CDT

Glad you told your stories

Well I have been suffering from OCD for probably about 9 years and im 21 years old.  It started when I was 13 and I could never walk away from a drink because I thought bugs, dirt, or even someone would put something into it.  It made my family very frustrated and I can understand why.  Then it got worse...  washing my hands to the point of bleeding and I have to check the stove before I went to bed 3 times.  Never during the day, just before bed.  I also had problems with thinking if I thought something it would happen unless I would knock it off...haha.  Its not really funny, but it was and still is my life.  Now im a single mom of an 11 month old boy and im 3 months pregnant again and the father of both babies is not around.  My OCD is so bad now.  Now I have to wash my sons hands all the time and I don't want people touching my son.  I don't trust baby food ever since there was a scare with one of the products I have never even used before getting bacteria in it.  I have to check my locks constantly and I even have put chairs infront of my door because I feel I cannot even trust myself anymore.  Its not so bad with me anymore now im scared for my son cause I feel like hes going to get hurt either from stove burning our home down to him putting his hand in his mouth and getting a disease.  I have never told anyone about all of this before because I do live a very sheltered life and my family has problems of their own but I thought I would share just SOME of my OCD thoughts and problems I suffer with everyday!! Good luck to the people on the show and to everyone else who suffers from this!!  Good luck and God Bless!! 

Thank you 

User Mood
Stressed

Message Emote
chillin'
August 10, 2005, 7:01 pm CDT

replying

Quote From: patti524

My 18 yr old daughter has OCD so I know how awful it can be.  My 2 daughters and I all have anxiety related disorders, but my 18 yr old has OCD, social anxiety and panic disorder.  She is a perfectionist and the disorders can literally make her think she is going crazy...and the ocd takes hold of that thought and makes her more anxious...and so on.  She was unable to graduate high school because of her disorders.  She is on medication but it only helps to a point.  She was part of a study at the University of Pennsylvania, but that was only helpful to a point as well.  Her disorders disable her, though most people don't believe that.  Anyone that doesn't know her would think she is perfectly fine, as she can hide her discomfort from anyone for a short period of time.  Her father doesn't have a clue!  He is in that group that believes that anxiety is not such a big deal.  Unfortunately so is the school.  They fought us every step of the way and my daughter left without graduating and now is trying to get her GED.  She is very bright, that has never been the problem, it's being able to get to the testing or sit in the room full of people...or convince herself that she is as capable as she is... I'm sure alot of people understand how the OCD mind works.  It is so hard to find anyone that can help with treatment or even medications.  Insurance doesn't cooperate, and in South Jersey there aren't alot of doctors that seem to specialize in anxiety disorders.  If they do?  You have to have money to see them.  I don't have that luxury!  It has made it very difficult.  I would love for my daughter to talk to some other young people who know how she feels.  She wouldn't be able to handle "a group" at this time, but maybe email???  Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share?  I'm always open to some fresh ideas.

Well I think you might have read my story and im 21 years of age and I would have no problem at all talking with your daughter about it.  Untill todays show I have not told anyone about the extent of whats going on.  Im a nice person and I love my babies and I know what its like to be alone.  So If you want to I will check this site often and if you want leave me your e-mail or something at first that would be awsome! 

Hope to hear from you and God Bless!! 

Thank you 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board