Message Boards

Messages By: patti524

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
blank
August 10, 2005, 4:43 pm CDT

OCD is truly hell

My 18 yr old daughter has OCD so I know how awful it can be.  My 2 daughters and I all have anxiety related disorders, but my 18 yr old has OCD, social anxiety and panic disorder.  She is a perfectionist and the disorders can literally make her think she is going crazy...and the ocd takes hold of that thought and makes her more anxious...and so on.  She was unable to graduate high school because of her disorders.  She is on medication but it only helps to a point.  She was part of a study at the University of Pennsylvania, but that was only helpful to a point as well.  Her disorders disable her, though most people don't believe that.  Anyone that doesn't know her would think she is perfectly fine, as she can hide her discomfort from anyone for a short period of time.  Her father doesn't have a clue!  He is in that group that believes that anxiety is not such a big deal.  Unfortunately so is the school.  They fought us every step of the way and my daughter left without graduating and now is trying to get her GED.  She is very bright, that has never been the problem, it's being able to get to the testing or sit in the room full of people...or convince herself that she is as capable as she is... I'm sure alot of people understand how the OCD mind works.  It is so hard to find anyone that can help with treatment or even medications.  Insurance doesn't cooperate, and in South Jersey there aren't alot of doctors that seem to specialize in anxiety disorders.  If they do?  You have to have money to see them.  I don't have that luxury!  It has made it very difficult.  I would love for my daughter to talk to some other young people who know how she feels.  She wouldn't be able to handle "a group" at this time, but maybe email???  Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share?  I'm always open to some fresh ideas.

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
blank
August 11, 2005, 2:42 pm CDT

Thank you!!!

Quote From: scrappydoo

I have just recently found out that I was OCD about a year and 1/2 ago. Growing up I thought I was just different and tried to hide who I was because I would get made fun of for the things I did. Nobody suspects that I have the disorder and when I tell them they are shocked. I give your daughter a lot of courage to get her GED, I see people every day look at others especially those with OCD and think we should just get over it. It is true that the OCD mind works totally different from any other and even between us who have it. Getting people to understand is so difficult. I just recently started treatment this past novemeber, and have finally got on a medication that seems to help. It takes a lot of understanding from our loved ones to even understand what we go through in a day. The time that is consumed by our daily thoughts and routines can seem endless it is truely hard to balance everything.  

As for her education, I am a school teacher and see many kids appear to be developing in ways that others do not recognize the students differences. Maybe online courses will help your daughter, that way she can be in the privacy of her own home and just be interacting with the computer not as much other individuals, the rituals and routines she keeps will be hers. I wouldn't mind talking with your daughter through email, I am always looking to help others in any way I can. 

I thank you for your reply.  I will write later and give you an email address so you can maybe encourage my daughter a little.  I'd really appreciate it because she feels really bad about herself alot of the time. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board